Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So this is hitting national news sources. PBS Newshour was tweeting about it last night and NPR has it as part of their top of the hour news update. AP had stories up yesterday as well.

Just checking google news I can see sources from all over the world reporting on the story, even if it’s just a Reuters or AP summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The pernicious quality to blaming Russia for being “actually” behind the fracturing of American society or loss of faith in our institutions and so on is that it completely ignores how a foreign intelligence service wouldn’t be able to get people to kill each other and attempt to collapse their own country if conditions weren’t such that people already do those things. I don’t think Russia’s been shown to have done much more than post on Facebook, but even if some American fascists got money from the fsb to destroy a power grid somewhere, that’s not the relevant part of what happened.

The cia tried to collapse Cuba for 50 years but couldn’t do it because there wasn’t a critical mass of desperate people primed by psychotic racism and conspiracy theories to give bombs to. Am I wrong about this?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I don't think so. Russia's strategy has been to expose faults that were already there. Russia might push the nutjobs along the road to fascism a bit faster than they might go on their own, but that's it; they were already on the road, Russia didn't do that.

And they'd not do as well if material conditions were much better here.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t think Russia’s been shown to have done much more than post on Facebook, but even if some American fascists got money from the fsb to destroy a power grid somewhere, that’s not the relevant part of what happened.

Other people were referencing the DNC hack, so you think that was another actor?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The reason I asked is because two things can be true at the same time: Russia makes an effort to undermine faith in democracy and promote certain candidates and causes towards that end, and homegrown American fascists and bigots are doing their thing, and supporting many of the same people and causes.

I think the fact that you can't actually point to something specific is telling.

Show me the metrics that prove anything Russia did was effective. I don’t think those stats exist, because if they did Russiaphobes would never shut up about them. All I’m looking for is the baseline KPIs, until then I think it’s safe to assume they were about as effective as the extremely dorky pro-US social media the US tried to set up in Cuba.

That Russia tries something isn’t surprising, we tried to train members of the armed forces to be psychics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Russia stuff is also a quick rabbit hole down to assigning blame to a single, organised boogeyman that supposedly can be fought, ignoring the realities of stochastic terrorism and American society to imagine epic but shadowy battles with dastardly supervillains. Russiagate gets called 'Liberal Qanon' for a reason. Like the right wing's idea of Antifa, up to the level of their leaders, being utterly convinced it is a structured organisation with a hierarchy and payrolls, in literal reheated War On Terror rhetoric.

The call is coming from inside the house, in about every sense imaginable.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Here’s another fun thing I learned about railroad strike negotiations: you literally can’t leave the job if you’re close to retirement and want any benefits:

https://twitter.com/saidthegadfly/status/1599497875582423041?s=46&t=_iHr0EElHkqdZU3nqy63Gw

So if I am reading this correctly:

1. You can’t strike unless the people the bosses bribe say it’s ok
2. If you do strike you will be fined or jailed for using your rights to free speech and free association
3. You are kept in a parallel retirement system that fucks you over if you try to get a better or even just a different job

How would anybody defend this status quo outside of “we won the election”?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I think linking domestic energy infra terrorism to russia is absolutely bonkers without evidence. Straight up inventing things to fret over

Besides that, it's putting the cart before the horse - the acute and indirect effects of knocking out a city's worth of peoples' access to light, refrigeration, and communication are of a far greater concern than Russia's theoretical and abstracted geopolitical benefit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

selec posted:

Here’s another fun thing I learned about railroad strike negotiations: you literally can’t leave the job if you’re close to retirement and want any benefits:

https://twitter.com/saidthegadfly/status/1599497875582423041?s=46&t=_iHr0EElHkqdZU3nqy63Gw

2. If you do strike you will be fined or jailed for using your rights to free speech and free association
3. You are kept in a parallel retirement system that fucks you over if you try to get a better or even just a different job

The retirement system is just a pension that works the same as every other pension. It has the downside that many pensions do of having "vesting cliffs" where you get a lot more money from your pension if you serve for 30 years than if you serve for 27.

You get vested in the pension after working for 5 years, but full vested benefits require 30 years of service or at least 5 years + being age 65. Your pension vesting is usually conditional on death or retirement from the industry as well. That's why very good pensions are often called "golden handcuffs."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 5, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

selec posted:

California does this for firefighters as well

It's really common and really lovely

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Russiagate gets called 'Liberal Qanon' for a reason. Like the right wing's idea of Antifa, up to the level of their leaders, being utterly convinced it is a structured organisation with a hierarchy and payrolls, in literal reheated War On Terror rhetoric.

What exactly are you referring to as Russiagate and who exactly are you claiming refers to it as "liberal Qanon"?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

selec posted:

Show me the metrics that prove anything Russia did was effective. I don’t think those stats exist, because if they did Russiaphobes would never shut up about them. All I’m looking for is the baseline KPIs, until then I think it’s safe to assume they were about as effective as the extremely dorky pro-US social media the US tried to set up in Cuba.

That Russia tries something isn’t surprising, we tried to train members of the armed forces to be psychics.

I don't think those stats exist either, because I don't know how you'd quantify the effectiveness of a propaganda campaign sufficiently to prove it was effective. Even if it is.

It isn't like you can re-run the 2016 campaign without interference and see how it would have played out.

I do think that the Russian hack of the DNC has a significant effect on the 2016 election. But that's based on watching the election play out and my impression of how the information from the hack influenced things. If you have proof it doesn't matter at all, I'd love to see it.

I'm heartened to hear that US propaganda efforts in Cuba are dorky though.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't think those stats exist either, because I don't know how you'd quantify the effectiveness of a propaganda campaign sufficiently to prove it was effective. Even if it is.

It isn't like you can re-run the 2016 campaign without interference and see how it would have played out.

I do think that the Russian hack of the DNC has a significant effect on the 2016 election. But that's based on watching the election play out and my impression of how the information from the hack influenced things. If you have proof it doesn't matter at all, I'd love to see it.

I'm heartened to hear that US propaganda efforts in Cuba are dorky though.

I see it in the same light as I do complaints about foreign money in US elections. In theory, I guess that’s bad, but from a practical perspective, it’s laughable, it’s suchd a waste of time it might be considered disinformation from how out of proportion it is to the threat to our nation from our own domestic oligarchs maintaining a stranglehold on our political system and our organs of discourse.

The Saudis are bad, sure, but are fumbling, incoherent toddlers when it comes to manipulating this country compared to our own homegrown aristocracy. And they’re probably more effective than Russia.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

California does this for firefighters as well

It's really common and really lovely

The Windfall Provision Act also prevents "double dipping" so there are people who got their 40 quarters and their pension but the federal government says gently caress you to certain state workers.

Not sure if this is true of railroad workers too.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
This is also done on teacher pensions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

As far as I can tell, it's not correct. An employee covered by the Railway Retirement Act does have some limitations involved in breaking their connection to the rail industry, but they keep their age-related and service-related benefits (including retirement) even if they take a job outside the industry. According to the Railway Retirement Board itself, it's only a problem for disability annuities and supplemental annuities. And as far as I can tell, the supplemental annuity is fairly minor (the RRB says the supplemental annuity is $20-40 a month).

The reason for the parallel retirement system, incidentally, is that the push to create a federal railway retirement system predated Social Security, with the original Railway Retirement Act passed the year before Social Security, although legislative and judicial wrestling meant that the railway-specific system didn't come into effect until later. At the time, the railway retirement system was tailored to the specific needs of railway employees; in the current day, as far as I can tell, it's generally more generous with its payouts and looser with its disability requirements than Social Security is.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Russiagate gets called 'Liberal Qanon' for a reason.

While this is true, the reason is "Because some people want to draw a false equivalence between something that's highly exaggerated but based on actual evidence with adenochrome cannibal cults and JFK Jr."

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

As far as I can tell, it's not correct. An employee covered by the Railway Retirement Act does have some limitations involved in breaking their connection to the rail industry, but they keep their age-related and service-related benefits (including retirement) even if they take a job outside the industry. According to the Railway Retirement Board itself, it's only a problem for disability annuities and supplemental annuities. And as far as I can tell, the supplemental annuity is fairly minor (the RRB says the supplemental annuity is $20-40 a month).

The reason for the parallel retirement system, incidentally, is that the push to create a federal railway retirement system predated Social Security, with the original Railway Retirement Act passed the year before Social Security, although legislative and judicial wrestling meant that the railway-specific system didn't come into effect until later. At the time, the railway retirement system was tailored to the specific needs of railway employees; in the current day, as far as I can tell, it's generally more generous with its payouts and looser with its disability requirements than Social Security is.

This parenthetical seems to mean that if you paid into RRA but get moved over to SSA your RRA payments don’t count, am I reading this right? This is for survivorship:

“As a general rule, where survivor benefits are paid by the RRB because a current connection was maintained, the survivors receive a larger monthly payment than would be payable by SSA”

Edit:

Wait a second,

quote:

However, if an employee does not qualify on this basis, but has 12 months of railroad service in an earlier 30-month period, he or she may still meet the current connection requirement. This alternative generally applies if the employee did not have any regular employment outside the railroad industry after the end of the last 30-month period which included 12 months of railroad service, and before the month the annuity begins or the month of death if earlier.

That seems to support what the railroad person thought?

selec fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 5, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's also creating a new position in government called "The Office of New York City Rat Czar."

The actual unironic job requirements are:

- A college degree
- A "Swashbuckling attitude, crafty humor, and general aura of badassery”
- A “virulent vehemence for vermin.”
- NYC residency.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1598304533125693440

Unsurprisingly, Adams has a long history of being weird about rats - including showing off his own custom designed deadly rat traps when he was the Brooklyn borough president that also drowned the rats it caught.

NYC is also now selling $48 T-Shirts to raise additional money for an "anti-rat squad" in the city.

It turns out the reason Adams cares so much about the War On Rats is... it's personal

quote:

Adams, who’s made no secret of his hatred for rodents and is actively seeking a rat czar to eradicate New York City’s growing problem, has an unpaid summons since May for a rat infestation at the Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, rowhouse he owns.

The summons, which carries a maximum penalty of $600, is still outstanding, according to a Daily News review of public records.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I went to the SSA site (god save us all) and it has a thorough explanation of the RRA system, but the crux here is this

quote:

However, retirement benefits under RRB differ from Social Security in two critical ways. First, early retirement reductions do not apply if the worker has at least 30 years of service in RRB-covered employment. In these cases, an individual can begin receiving benefits as early as age 60 with no age-based reduction. Second, a supplemental annuity is payable if an employee had at least 25 years of service which began before October 1, 1981, and has a current connection to the railroad. Eligibility for this annuity begins at age 60 if the employee has at least 30 years of creditable service, and at age 65 if the employee has 25 to 29 years of service. The fixed maximum amount of a supplemental annuity is $43 a month (RRB 2007b).

So based on that you do lose your railroad pension if you work outside the railroad, and are stuck down to SSA benefits. It seems like that worker does understand their own benefits structure.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v68n2/v68n2p41.html

Edit: they stand to lose thousands per month

https://rrb.gov/Newsroom/NewsReleases/RetirementBenefitsRisein2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

selec posted:

I went to the SSA site (god save us all) and it has a thorough explanation of the RRA system, but the crux here is this

So based on that you do lose your railroad pension if you work outside the railroad, and are stuck down to SSA benefits. It seems like that worker does understand their own benefits structure.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v68n2/v68n2p41.html

Edit: they stand to lose thousands per month

That's not how I read that at all. Looks like Tier 1 benefits are equivalent to or possibly mildly better than social security, but if you leave RR work you will be eligible for that social security benefit. The $43 dollar a month supplementary annuity looks like the only part of it that you completely surrender if you leave your railroad position.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Baronash posted:

That's not how I read that at all. Looks like Tier 1 benefits are equivalent to or possibly mildly better than social security, but if you leave RR work you will be eligible for that social security benefit. The $43 dollar a month supplementary annuity looks like the only part of it that you completely surrender if you leave your railroad position.

Where are you seeing 43 bucks here:

Strong recommendation:

An interview with two railroad union local leaders and a labor journalist. They want to see it nationalized, and don’t trust leadership, and have huge worries about safety and talk about the failures of private management

https://on.soundcloud.com/nTHAiyXu5TgE3hqK6

selec fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 5, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

Not sure if this is true of railroad workers too.

Yes, and its very complicated. Congress has set up special rules for how social security works specifically with the Railroad Pension.

To boil it down, the Railroad Pension has "Tier 1" benefits, and "Tier 2" benefits. Tier 1 is designed to be almost identical to social security with a few weird exceptions and the rule is for each dollar you get in social security, your tier 1 railroad Pension is reduced by that amount. So for example, if your tier 1 railroad benefit is 10,000 per year, and you also have a little social security of 6,000 from some other odd non-railroad job you worked, your 10,000 tier 1 railroad benefit is reduced to 4,000. You are only allowed to get the higher of your social security benefit or your tier 1 railroad benefit, and thats how they do it. So, if you get a railroad pension, there's really no social security-related reason to work some other job, if you can still work you may as well work on the railroad job if you can.

Tier 2 benefits are not impacted by social security, it was designed to be an extra pension to entice older workers to stick it out in their hard grueling job and work the railroad as long as they can, and yes as mentioned earlier, if you are an older worker, they have designed this so that you *REALLY* want to get to either 30 years or retirement age so that you can cash in on this benefit that you've been sacrificing your body for. The railroad pension is fantastic compared to social security. (Note to any evil railroad bosses reading this, that pension benefit is not a justification to screw over your workers who might need to call in sick, you assholes)

edit: things also get complicated if you work the railroad and some other job that also doesn't pay into social security. Like... I dunno, say you worked on the railroad when you were young, but then you changed jobs to work for the Federal government as some kind of railroad inspector or something that also doesn't pay into social security. Then, your railroad benefits can be reduced if the Feds also have a good pension above social security, but it can't be reduced to zero because there's a minimum guarantee, and it all reads like some messy congressional political compromise hashed out between people wanting to curb those evil double-dippers vs people going "wait, why do you want to screw railroad workers who have the energy to earn a second great pension".

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 5, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

In your quote from the SSA website.

I think we're getting pretty far afield from the point. You don't give up your right to SS retirement benefits just because you once worked at a railroad. You do give up certain additional retirement benefits. If this surprises you or you think it is some unique fluke then, uh... welcome to pensions, I guess?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 5, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

This parenthetical seems to mean that if you paid into RRA but get moved over to SSA your RRA payments don’t count, am I reading this right? This is for survivorship:

“As a general rule, where survivor benefits are paid by the RRB because a current connection was maintained, the survivors receive a larger monthly payment than would be payable by SSA”

Edit:

Wait a second,

That seems to support what the railroad person thought?

The important part is right at the very top (emphasis mine):

quote:

Under the Railroad Retirement Act (RRA), a “current connection with the railroad industry” is one of the eligibility requirements for both the occupational disability and supplemental annuities payable by the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB). A current connection is not required for any other type of railroad retirement benefit payable to railroad employees, or for purposes of Medicare coverage. However, a current connection is also a factor in determining which agency, the RRB or the Social Security Administration (SSA), will pay monthly benefits to the survivors of a railroad employee. (As a general rule, where survivor benefits are paid by the RRB because a current connection was maintained, the survivors receive a larger monthly payment than would be payable by SSA.)

The rest of the page goes into what defines that "current connection", but it states right up front that the "current connection" is only relevant to the disability, supplemental annuities, and how survivor's benefits are handled.

As for the supplemental annuities, the other page I linked goes into specifics about them (again, emphasis mine):

quote:

1. How do the average monthly railroad retirement and social security benefits paid to retired employees and spouses compare?
The average age annuity being paid by the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) at the end of fiscal year 2021 to career rail employees was $3,815 a month, and for all retired rail employees the average was $3,045. The average age retirement benefit being paid under social security was approximately $1,550 a month. Spouse benefits averaged $1,110 a month under railroad retirement compared to $775 under social security.

The RRA also provides supplemental railroad retirement annuities of between $23 and $43 a month, which are payable to employees with railroad service prior to October 1981 who retire directly from the rail industry with 25 or more years of service.

2. Are the benefits awarded to recent retirees generally greater than the benefits payable to those who retired years ago?
Yes, because recent awards are based on higher average earnings. Age annuities awarded to career railroad employees retiring in fiscal year 2021 averaged about $4,425 a month while monthly benefits awarded to workers retiring at full retirement age under social security averaged nearly $2,180. If spouse benefits are added, the combined benefits for the employee and spouse would total $6,155 under railroad retirement coverage, compared to $3,270 under social security. Adding a supplemental annuity to the railroad family’s benefit increases average total benefits for current career rail retirees to about $6,180 a month.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Real ID for air travel has become the new Medicare provider cuts - they just get delayed every single year for decades.

The law was first passed in 2005.

South Carolina and Maine refused to issue real ID compliant driver's licenses for about 10 years and they just kept kicking back the deadline because they didn't want to punish people who happened to be from S.C. or Maine.

As of 2021, SC and Maine both folded and now every state ID is real ID compliant. I'm guessing they are going to keep delaying it another 5 to 10 years to make sure everyone cycles through their old IDs.

Still really silly that we have to do all this crazy stuff just because some people think having your ID issued by the federal government is the mark of the beast, but the state government is not in league with Satan and their IDs are fine.

Instead, in the U.S. we have to give the guy who works at the cell phone store and our internet provider the number that is used to access our pension and fill out every major financial form because there is no other way to verify identity in the country.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1599787376745783299

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 5, 2022

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Real ID for air travel has become the new Medicare provider cuts - they just get delayed every single year for decades.

The law was first passed in 2005.

South Carolina and Maine refused to issue real ID compliant driver's licenses for about 10 years and they just kept kicking back the deadline because they didn't want to punish people who happened to be from S.C. or Maine.

As of 2021, SC and Maine both folded and now every state ID is real ID compliant. I'm guessing they are going to keep delaying it another 5 to 10 years to make sure everyone cycles through their old IDs.

Still really silly that we have to do all this crazy stuff just because some people think having your ID issued by the federal government is the mark of the beast, but the state government is not in league with Satan and their IDs are fine.

Instead, in the U.S. we have to give the guy who works at the cell phone store and our internet provider the number that is used to access our pension and fill out every major financial form because there is no other way to verify identity in the country.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1599787376745783299
If federal ID is the number of the beast, hail Satan! I'm even will to be barcoded. One card, one pic, all handled by one entity. Literally my travelling dream. I bet bouncers would love it, too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jesus III posted:

If federal ID is the number of the beast, hail Satan! I'm even will to be barcoded. One card, one pic, all handled by one entity. Literally my travelling dream. I bet bouncers would love it, too.

It is pretty bonkers that, in the global superpower with the largest GDP in the world and the NSA, you need to give your social security number to the kid who works at the Verizon store to get a cell phone because there is literally no way to identify who you are if you step across state lines unless you give every job you apply for, every landlord you apply to, and every retail employee the one number that you need to commit massive identify fraud with.

But, that same incredibly insecure number is not considered valid ID by anyone else in the world, so you need a third set of ID (that is issued by the federal government) just to get it accepted in every other country on earth.

Real ID is a wonky workaround to that problem, but there are people resisting it for 17 years because "driver's license by state, social security number by feds, and passport by feds = good" and "one ID issued by feds = Satan's attempt to claim the believers with his brand."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

It turns out the reason Adams cares so much about the War On Rats is... it's personal

It kind of owns that the mayor of NYC is giving out quests for level 1 adventurers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The largest single recipient of Covid relief funds in 2020 was the Chinese government.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1599787696871841792

quote:

As soon as state governments began disbursing Covid unemployment funds in 2020, cybercriminals began to siphon off a significant percentage.

The Labor Department Office of Inspector General has reported an improper payment rate of roughly 20% for the $872.5 billion in federal pandemic unemployment funds, though the true cost of the fraud is likely higher, administration officials from multiple agencies say.

In-depth analysis of four states showed 42.4% of pandemic benefits were paid improperly in the first six months, the department’s watchdog reported to Congress last week.

A Heritage Foundation analysis of Labor Department data estimated excess unemployment benefits payments of more than $350 billion from April 2020 to May 2021.

“Whether it’s 350, 400 or 500 billion, at this point, the horse is out of the barn,” said Linda Miller, the former deputy executive director of the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee, the federal government’s Covid relief fraud watchdog.

quote:

By the time Covid relief funds appeared as a target of opportunity in 2020, APT41, which emerged more than a decade ago, had already become the “workhorse” of cyberespionage operations that benefit the Chinese government, according to cyber experts and current and former officials from multiple agencies. The Secret Service said in a statement that it considers APT41 a “Chinese state-sponsored, cyberthreat group that is highly adept at conducting espionage missions and financial crimes for personal gain.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New Hampshire and Iowa Democratic politicians are boycotting all White House social events for the next year in protest of removing Iowa from the early states in the 2024 primaries and making New Hampshire no longer the "first primary" of the calendar (they share it with Nevada now and Nevada is doing a primary instead of a caucus).

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1599845049604444186

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't it literally state law in New Hampshire that they have to be the first primary?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I’m in the industry and I have no idea where these estimates of fraud in the hundreds of billions of dollars of unemployment fraud are coming from besides “someone made it up.” I can’t say/prove why I think that’s ridiculous without getting fired, but it’s a ridiculous overestimate.

Does not surprise me that the heritage foundation is a source there. What do you know, they say unemployment is largely fraudulent.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

haveblue posted:

Isn't it literally state law in New Hampshire that they have to be the first primary?
What if another state made it their law as well?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

looking forward to an arms race until the first primary of the 2026 cycle is on Wednesday, 6 November 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Yes. I have no idea what they are actually planning to do about it, though.

The DNC is requiring NH to overhaul their voting laws to allow them to be second and they haven't confirmed whether they will or not. The state legislature and Governor are both Republicans.

The DNC says they will kick them back to Super Tuesday and remove all of their delegates if they don't have it done by early 2023.

quote:

When a key panel of the Democratic National Committee voted Friday for South Carolina to hold the first-in-the-nation presidential primary, members also voted for New Hampshire to share a second primary date with Nevada.

But then came the fine print. In order to earn that second place position, the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee recommended, New Hampshire would be required to overhaul its voting laws. And the state would need to move fast.

On Friday afternoon, the committee passed a waiver dictating the terms of New Hampshire’s second place position. Under those terms, Granite State lawmakers would need to repeal the state’s 1975 law requiring that the primary be scheduled before any other state. Lawmakers would also have to pass a second law to make early voting easier.

If the state failed to do so by Feb. 1, 2023, the waiver states, the second-place primary spot would be withdrawn, and New Hampshire would not have DNC authorization to hold a primary before March 5, 2024.

The committee’s recommended waiver is not final; like the proposed calendar changing the order of the states, it will need approval by the full DNC when it meets next month. But the waiver added a new point of friction between New Hampshire and the national Democratic Party. It also threw into question whether New Hampshire will have DNC approval to be in the top five nominating states at all, let alone to go first in the nation.

The requested legislative reforms – which would require the Legislature to suspend rules to get them passed by Feb. 1 – are extremely unlikely in the state’s Republican-led Legislature. Without meeting the DNC’s requirement, New Hampshire would face a significant scheduling downgrade that would place it in line with other “Super Tuesday” states.

“Never gonna happen!!!!” wrote Rep. Kimberly Rice, a Hudson Republican and the speaker pro tempore last legislative session, in a tweet addressing the DNC demands. “This is laughable!!”

A rigid state law

The new demands come after New Hampshire political figures had already widely denounced the newly proposed calendar supported by President Joe Biden and vowed to hold the first primary regardless.

On Friday afternoon, Biden’s recommendation moved a step closer to becoming reality. In a near-unanimous voice vote, members of the Rules and Bylaws Committee sided with the president’s proposal to hold South Carolina’s primary first on Feb. 3, 2024, followed by New Hampshire and Nevada on Feb. 6, Georgia on Feb. 13, and Michigan on Feb. 27. That calendar would be subject to the requirements in the waivers that the committee also passed.

Now, the spotlight has turned to the one person who does have the last word on the primary date: New Hampshire’s secretary of state.

On Friday, Secretary of State Dave Scanlan said he would follow the 1975 state law that requires the state’s presidential primary to be held at least seven days ahead of the date that any other state holds a similar election.

“We have our law,” said Scanlan, a Republican, in an interview. “And so regardless of what the DNC does, we will follow the law and have a first primary.”

Former state Sen. Melanie Levesque, a former lawmaker who is a candidate for secretary of state, made a similar vow Friday. “By law, New Hampshire goes first so I’m going to fight for that,” the Brookline Democrat said in an interview.

But protecting New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary is not as simple as defying the DNC and setting the date earliest in the calendar, observers warn. The success of that primary would depend heavily on what the Democratic National Committee does to enforce the new calendar.

Delegates in jeopardy

National Democrats have a range of tools to punish New Hampshire for hosting an unsanctioned primary, noted Dante Scala, professor of politics at the University of New Hampshire.

First, the DNC could prevent the winner of New Hampshire’s primary from receiving any delegates from the Granite State at the party’s nominating convention in the summer. By stripping New Hampshire of its delegates, the DNC would ensure that any victory by a candidate here would be symbolic only, with no bearing on the delegate-counting game that can make or break a closely fought primary, Scala said.

That scenario has a precedent. In 2008, Florida and Michigan both defied the DNC’s preferred primary calendar for that year and held their primaries earlier than scheduled. In response, the DNC ordered the delegates won in those states not to count, a significant penalty given the states’ combined 341 delegates.

The national party later compromised on that decision, eventually deciding to award both states half the number of delegate votes they usually receive as punishment. But the penalty stopped the states from attempting a similar maneuver at the next major Democratic primary in 2016.

Scala, however, is not convinced that that punishment will deter New Hampshire. Due to its small size, the state sent only 33 voting delegates to the Democratic nominating convention in 2020, hardly a major prize compared to the 3,979 pledged delegates who voted in the convention that year.

“That historically hasn’t worked very well because we don’t have many delegates to offer, and the main reason you participate in the (New Hampshire) primary here is not for delegates, but for publicity,” Scala said.

Asked by WMUR about those consequences, New Hampshire Democratic Party Chairman Ray Buckley shrugged them off Friday.

“They can come up with any number of things that we’re prepared to deal with,” he said, referring to the DNC. “We don’t necessarily need to go to the national convention. We’ve long said, for decades, that hosting the New Hampshire primary is more important than the number of delegates that would be selected.”

A Biden no-show?
A second punishment that could make a bigger difference involves the Democratic primary debates, Scala said. The DNC could block any Democratic candidate that takes part in a rogue New Hampshire primary from joining their competitors on a debate stage.

Unlike disqualifying delegates, that penalty could have a real impact on smaller campaigns, for whom participation in the nationally televised debates are a key way to break through the pack and introduce themselves to voters, Scala said.

Beyond structural punishments, the party could also exert behind-the-scenes political pressure on campaigns that join a rogue New Hampshire primary. Burgeoning campaigns seeking support and endorsements could be told not to participate in New Hampshire’s primary or risk being shunned and shut out of endorsements.

That could have a particular consequence in South Carolina, where certain candidates trying to compete in both states could be met with resentment for campaigning in New Hampshire, Scala speculated.

Biden’s reason for moving South Carolina first – choosing a state with more diversity – could create awkwardness for candidates that also went to New Hampshire. New Hampshire is 88 percent white while South Carolina is 68.6 percent white, according to the 2020 U.S. Census. The U.S. as a whole is 62 percent white.

“If a Democratic candidate comes to New Hampshire and wants to participate in New Hampshire despite the fact that New Hampshire is this outlaw primary, what message will that send to (party) elites in other states with more diverse constituencies?” Scala said. “How likely would it be that Black political elites are going to consider seriously a candidate who defies the party by going to New Hampshire?”

Finally Biden himself holds a powerful political weapon: his decision of whether to participate in New Hampshire’s primary. Should New Hampshire hold its primary first against Biden’s and the DNC’s wishes, the president could simply not file for reelection in Concord and skip the process entirely.

Skipping New Hampshire might not have any practical consequence for Biden: Democratic presidential primaries where a Democratic incumbent is running for reelection are usually not competitive and tend to be sleepy affairs. President Barack Obama won New Hampshire’s primary with more than 80 percent of the vote when he ran again in 2012.

But a decision by Biden to skip the Granite State could set an immense precedent potentially affecting candidates’ decisions in a more competitive Democratic primary in 2028, Scala said. And it could mean that the Democratic primary competition in New Hampshire in 2024 could be split between a number of fringe candidates with no chance of success, further reducing the state’s relevance.

“Basically, that would be saying the New Hampshire presidential primary on its current date is illegitimate,” Scala said. “And so symbolically that could carry weight going forward into 2028 and beyond.”

Scanlan: Too early to tell
With so many potential penalties facing the state – and so much uncertainty – both candidates for New Hampshire secretary of state vowed Friday to use their office to secure the state’s primary through any means necessary.

Levesque said she would speak to Biden personally and try to change his mind. Biden has emphasized New Hampshire’s relative lack of diversity compared to South Carolina and Nevada; Levesque, who is Black, argues that the state has more diversity than the president acknowledges.

“I’d like to think that we can turn this around,” Levesque said. “I feel like the door’s open, maybe just a crack, but that’s where we start. And we work on turning it around.”

But Levesque says she does not have all the answers yet.

“As secretary of state, I would be fighting for a unified primary – for New Hampshire going first,” she said. “I can’t tell you how. The strategy will be figured out when I am in that role, and when it occurs.”

Scanlan, meanwhile, has noted his 20 years serving as the deputy secretary of state under Bill Gardner until January 2022, when Gardner retired and made Scanlan interim secretary of state. That experience has helped Scanlan build relationships with secretaries of state throughout the country that could prove useful, he said.

Scanlan said he does not believe the secretary of state’s role should be limited to setting the primary date and running the election: There is a need to also participate in the effort to keep the primary respected, he said.

“It’s a concern because we want to make sure that our primaries are relevant,” he said.

But when asked whether now is the time to begin those political negotiations, Scanlan said no. Moving to intervene now would be premature, he argued.

“It’s too early to tell exactly how we’re going to react,” he said. “But with patience and vigilance and observation, the picture will become clearer as we get well into next year.”

https://newhampshirebulletin.com/2022/12/05/as-new-hampshire-vows-to-hold-first-primary-the-consequences-could-be-steep/

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The DNC isn't actually a federal institution in any law making sense (I don't think) so I guess we'll find out what happens if the DNC says the primary happens on Nevada day and the state says it happens on Nevada Day -7? I guess its the NH Electoral Commission that actually brings out the poll machines and certs the election but then the DNC might not accept their delegate assignment until the day they say it happened or something?

Very confusing situation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

projecthalaxy posted:

I guess its the NH Electoral Commission that actually brings out the poll machines and certs the election but then the DNC might not accept their delegate assignment until the day they say it happened or something?

The DNC doesn't have to accept their delegate assignment at all. That's the nuclear option- there is no law hanging over the national DNC organization that says the results of the NH primary have to mean anything. NH cannot bind the non-NH parts of the DNC. There will just be that many fewer delegates in the mix and winning the NH primary won't contribute to winning the DNC nomination.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

projecthalaxy posted:

The DNC isn't actually a federal institution in any law making sense (I don't think) so I guess we'll find out what happens if the DNC says the primary happens on Nevada day and the state says it happens on Nevada Day -7? I guess its the NH Electoral Commission that actually brings out the poll machines and certs the election but then the DNC might not accept their delegate assignment until the day they say it happened or something?

NH can hold the primary whenever they want, but the DNC won't recognize their delegates if they don't have it on the appointed day. Similar to what happened in 2008 with Michigan and Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The real fun will be when states that could deliver for one candidate vs another are having delegates tossed and how/who will make those decisions