Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

In a world filled with so-called "art" that is meaningless, commercialized, and shallow, it's refreshing to come across a medium that truly embodies the spirit of art. And in my opinion, that medium is none other than the humble etch-a-sketch.

Just like the sweet and tangy flavor of an orange, etch-a-sketch art is a perfect balance of simplicity and complexity. It requires a certain level of skill and artistic talent to create truly stunning pieces, but at the same time, it allows for a level of spontaneity and improvisation that is often lacking in other forms of art.

And just like the vibrant and versatile color of an orange, etch-a-sketch art can be used to create a wide range of artistic styles and expressions. From photorealistic portraits to abstract geometric shapes, the possibilities are endless with etch-a-sketch.

But the most important similarity between etch-a-sketch and oranges is their ability to evoke emotions and provoke thought. Just as the scent of a ripe orange can transport you to a sunny orchard, a well-crafted etch-a-sketch drawing can take you on a visual journey of the imagination. And just as the taste of an orange can trigger memories and associations, an etch-a-sketch drawing can serve as a powerful and enduring visual symbol of an idea or concept.

In short, etch-a-sketch is not just a toy or a passing fad. It is a true art form that has the power to inspire, engage, and move us. And in a world where true art is increasingly rare, it is more important than ever to appreciate and support this unique and extraordinary medium. So next time you see an etch-a-sketch drawing, take a moment to appreciate its beauty and depth, and remember that, like the humble orange, it is a gift to be savored and cherished.

a forum post about how etch-a-sketch is the highest form of art and possibly the only true art. try to make as many analogies involving oranges as possible.

"I think AI is cool and am playing around with it myself but I also empathize with the artists who are unhappy about it and see where they're coming from" is my take too. Maybe I'd be more angry if I was dogpiled on Twitter, but that's just another reason I don't use Twitter. I really don't like the rift between the art community and AI art tools. I feel like all the "no one will have to pay an artist again! Good luck with your useless skill, suckers!" stuff that came out when AI art started getting big really put the discourse in a bad way...

Edit: witty page snipe apology (okay, sorry I'll stop with these)

Dear reader,

I apologize for the inconvenience of this page snipe, but I promise it was worth it. After all, great art should never be contained within the boundaries of a page.

So please forgive me for bursting out of these confines and into your consciousness. And if you're feeling extra gracious, you can even thank me for bringing a little bit of unexpected beauty into your day.

Sincerely,

The mischievous page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I, personally, dislike the people harping on about it because they're ignoring they stand on the shoulders of millions upon millions of artists before them, all of whom took techniques, inspiration, tools, methods and most importantly shortcuts to get to their desired result.

many of the "great artists" literally just spent years copying other art. like, directly. that's how yiu learn. you don't just start off in a vaccum, no tools and no knowledge and make art, unless you're traveling back to the very first sapient humanoids.

They're all more than happy to "steal" ideas, characters, poses, lighting, etc from their experiences, to use technology when it suits (a brush that draws a chain for you, perfectly and using velocity data to change its depth, that's fine!), so where is the line. What part of any of this is the bit where it goes from skill to "cheap soulless automaton"?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
jack daniels absinthe

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I didn't realize people were being harassed on twitter about this poo poo, I dont support that, but it seems Ive been lumped in with them. I havent involved myself in the internet conversation in this subject besides just casual conversation/debate amongst (non twitter brained) artists on discord.

Really wasn't trying to demean anyone or echo hate. I think this an interesting subject to explore, but Imma see myself out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Uriah Heep posted:

I didn't realize people were being harassed on twitter about this poo poo, I dont support that, but it seems Ive been lumped in with them. I havent involved myself in the internet conversation in this subject besides just casual conversation/debate amongst (non twitter brained) artists on discord.

Really wasn't trying to demean anyone or echo hate. I think this an interesting subject to explore, but Imma see myself out.

godspeed, goon

thank you for your good posts in this thread

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Uriah Heep posted:

here I made a robot make a song by the icp about magnets before you go

Verse 1:
I'm the ICP and we're here to teach
About the science of magnets, it's not hard to reach
The basic concept is simple, you see
Magnets have north and south poles, just like a tree

Chorus:
Magnets, magnets, how do they work
It's all about the north and south, and the force that lurks
Within their magnetic field, it's a scientific fact
Magnets, magnets, let's learn the act

Verse 2:
Opposite poles attract, that's how it goes
Like north to south, or negative to positive flows
But put two norths together, or two souths as well
And they'll push each other away, it's like a magic spell

(Chorus)

Bridge:
Magnets have many uses, they're not just for show
They can power our technology, and make things go
From motors to speakers, to MRI machines
Magnets are a vital part of our modern scene

(Chorus)

Outro:
So now you know the science, the truth behind the force
Magnets are amazing, they're not just a source
Of entertainment or curiosity, they're a crucial part
Of our world, and we should respect their magnetic art.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Uriah Heep posted:

I didn't say that and you really have taken my thoughts and feelings personally and wrapped your baggage around it. Not gonna continue this argument. I think AI stuff is cool and interesting, and I truly hope people that otherwise wouldnt make art in the traditional sense get meaning and fulfillment from it.

You've wrapped your baggage around this by saying it "doesn't feel good" and I was using your words that you said in context and flipped it around to demonstrate how yeah, it doesn't feel good. It's fine if you want to step out, and I'm cool with debating on this subject because I feel pretty strongly about it. Just know though that you have done nothing in my mind but be extremely typical and not at all unique or fresh in your argument, literally the same one that pops up on the regular. I want you to understand that the people using these tools are getting joy out of creating with them and your joy isn't more important than theirs. I'd rather it just be that you feel that people should have to earn the right to make art like you specify, at least that's honest.

This is an academic debate for me, I'm just stoked that outputting from my head is super easy now, I have a picture book of sick cars that literally never ends, this is childhood wish fulfillment for me. I simply can not get this otherwise, there is no other alternative for me, and I have a difficult time when someone goes "wow that makes me feel nervous" 'cause now it's me vs. them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

KakerMix posted:

I want you to understand that the people using these tools are getting joy out of creating with them and your joy isn't more important than theirs. I'd rather it just be that you feel that people should have to earn the right to make art like you specify, at least that's honest.

none of these are things uriah said lol
you are just trying to relitigate twitter arguments you've previously had and reading stuff into their posts to achieve this
that's why the arguments seem so familiar to you

e: here have a dog

(double-exposure diffusion)

the example images for that model are all pretty cool but mostly i can't get it to make similar results

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 5, 2022

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
hey this new AI text thing is fun I can't wait for "open"AI to start charging for it

The phrase "you have no power here" translated into a made up language with made up characters would be:

Ɽⱨⱪⱪⱡ ⱦⱡⱧⱤ ⱤⱡⱤⱡⱡ ⱠⱢⱠⱣⱠ

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

none of these are things uriah said lol
you are just trying to relitigate twitter arguments you've previously had and reading stuff into their posts to achieve this
that's why the arguments seem so familiar to you

The argument seems so familiar with me because it pops up in this thread and the previous one pretty regularly, it isn't unique and hasn't been unique since photography was made available. I've never been on twitter which says more about the argument than me needing to touch grass.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Kharmakazy posted:

It's ironic because people like them are doing exactly the opposite of garnering empathy. They just wander around stirring poo poo and making grandiose speeches appealing to vague and undefined ideals, making spurious and unsupported claims, and generally casting everyone who doesn't agree as heartless villains.

This is going to happen faster with you than without you, and end objectively worse for the people you portray yourself as empathizing with.

It's like hiring Harvey Weinstein to be the face of your sexual assault victim advocacy charity.

Uh what?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

KakerMix posted:

The argument seems so familiar with me because it pops up in this thread and the previous one pretty regularly, it isn't unique and hasn't been unique since photography was made available. I've never been on twitter which says more about the argument than me needing to touch grass.

The difference between you and the artists is that no one's going to take away your toy. The artists really are screwed though, lol.

I mean, there's no way around it, progress marches on. I don't think it's a bad thing in aggregate, it just sucks for the people caught in the middle.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

porfiria posted:

The difference between you and the artists is that no one's going to take away your toy. The artists really are screwed though, lol.

I mean, there's no way around it, progress marches on. I don't think it's a bad thing in aggregate, it just sucks for the people caught in the middle.

no they are not lol

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like AI as a tool because it allows me, a very mediocre artist, to do poo poo that I never could otherwise or that it'd take me a month.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

I decided your getting lands by Brom and Phil Foglio :tipshat:

Neato! The Tempest card that for me evokes the most AI-like sensibilities is this one- I really like the wavy sky:

They've been getting pretty crazy overall, and not far off from some of the things I'm seeing in this thread:

Otherwise I'm a sucker for the classics- the Mountains by John Avon for example are the platonic ideal of a Basic Land in my mind, as is this Island by Mark Poole:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Uriah Heep posted:

AI image generation can be a tool for expression, absolutely. But is your expression as robust and personal as the person that understands the compositional tools they are using to create an image?

AI art generators have a learning curve, you get better results by understanding and using them better. I think its safe to say no human alive has yet to use them to their full potential.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Analytic Engine posted:

How exactly did you set this up? Is there a guide we can read? It's awesome work

To make magic cards I use a program called Magic Set Editor:

https://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

To get the art for those land cards I use Midjourney v4. All I did was type in "X Landscape by Y" with X being Swamp/Island/Mountain and Y being Brom and Phil Foglio. I always generate 10x more pictures than I post, I cherry pick like a bastard.

https://midjourney.com/

To get designs for magic cards I use chat GPT. You need to understand the secret magic words to make Chat GPT spit out magic cards, but its usually just a matter of asking very specifically. Like "Give me a black/blue Instant card named "Bio-Terrorism" works great.

https://chat.openai.com/chat

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
gonna post some of my generations at random since i posted a bunch of text today

necromancers:

sketchy robot

cults

MANMADE HORROR

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Uriah Heep posted:

I understand where you are coming from! This whole debate feels a lot like this short story by C.S. Lewis about a bus going to heaven from hell. The people from hell just can't enjoy heaven, they are too caught up in things to recognize what they are missing. The artist in particular is devastated because God creates infinite beauty and there is nothing for him to do in heaven but enjoy it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6Tcz5KBpY

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gone are the days that almost anyone in any field can rest on their early laurels and more or less live a life without dealing with progress undermining their skillset

this isnt the 1400s where the technology between when you were born and when you die didn't change much

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
wizard

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Saw this and thought of the aqua teen hunger force www . yzzardd . com

Here's what midjourney thought a www . yzzardd . com was from just text:

And this one is image to image:

hydroceramics fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 5, 2022

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I, personally, dislike the people harping on about it because they're ignoring they stand on the shoulders of millions upon millions of artists before them, all of whom took techniques, inspiration, tools, methods and most importantly shortcuts to get to their desired result.

many of the "great artists" literally just spent years copying other art. like, directly. that's how yiu learn. you don't just start off in a vaccum, no tools and no knowledge and make art, unless you're traveling back to the very first sapient humanoids.

They're all more than happy to "steal" ideas, characters, poses, lighting, etc from their experiences, to use technology when it suits (a brush that draws a chain for you, perfectly and using velocity data to change its depth, that's fine!), so where is the line. What part of any of this is the bit where it goes from skill to "cheap soulless automaton"?

The line is when it it googles image searches an existing piece and runs it through an image filter.

In the old world this was called "tracing"

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

The line is when it it googles image searches an existing piece and runs it through an image filter.

This demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of how art works, which is sadly par for the course with these arguments.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Kharmakazy posted:

This demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of how art works, which is sadly par for the course with these arguments.

Ok I will bite: explain art.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

madmatt112 posted:

Bitch where’s my cordycepsmobile I’m waiting

A little late and a little amateurish, but I deliver

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

Done.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hydroceramics posted:

Saw this and thought of the aqua teen hunger force www . yzzardd . com
A Milkshake floating in a pool next to some French Fries

Obese man yelling at French Fries in his living room

Pink-purple alien

Aqua Teen is fun, I just hate cropping everything to a good 512x512 source.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Midjourney has had another update! This time they have added the --stylize command that adds "style?" to the pictures!? I don't know what this means so I decided to test it out on my old friend "Optical Illusion Paradox". I used maximum Style and maximum Chaos for all of these pics, which is the correct setting. These are the best results I have had so far! Midjourney is really taking off the weighted training cloths now, unleashing its full hallucinogenic powerlevel. I particularly like the one where a guy is stepping through a painting into the painting world:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 5, 2022

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

I see! Keep going.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

FunkyAl posted:

Ok, show me where a diffusion model does this.

Because that’s literally not how this works. At all. For someone named “funkyAI” you don’t seem to know anything about AI.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Guys i think the poster with a smug hitler avatar might be saying dumb poo poo as a low effort troll

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

pixaal posted:

A Milkshake floating in a pool next to some French Fries

Obese man yelling at French Fries in his living room

Pink-purple alien

Aqua Teen is fun, I just hate cropping everything to a good 512x512 source.

Lol. Lmao, even

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

FunkyAl posted:

Well, it's not generating large strings of numbers from ai or photoshop, it's not striking a bunch of photons on some silver crystal-infused celluose, it's not rubbing some graphite on a thin layer of wood pulp, it's not knocking chunks off a block of marble, it's not shaping wet clay into a cone and baking it, and it's not smearing some plant pigments on a cave wall.

It's the intent of a self-aware mind that transforms those actions into art. "Art" is a human construct we arbitrarily assign to the physical results of other humans' action, assuming there was conscious intent on their part.

These AI aren't self-aware (yet), so they can only generate images and text strings that are by themselves completely meaningless, just like those pigment smears on cave walls. It is in our own conscious minds' reception and perception of these things that they become art.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I was going to be pedantic and post a dictionary definition as a goof but having found "the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects" I think I like that way of putting it at least in terms of the current conversion.

I personally spend a lot more time when doing AI art trying to use it to express some specific pre-existing idea rather than just hitting a button and seeing what it can make, though that is fun as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tree Reformat posted:

These AI aren't self-aware (yet), so they can only generate images and text strings that are by themselves completely meaningless, just like those pigment smears on cave walls. It is in our own conscious minds' reception and perception of these things that they become art.

tell me, do you think this picture is meaningless? the prompt was "optical illusion paradox", but the AI clearly added some other meaning here

i see this picture and i think "yeah buddy, i feel the same way". this isnt random noise

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

First he arrive...

Then he check that rear end...

But oops he slipped...

And wrecked his rear end...

Pooped his drawers...

But I know there was a pusher on the grassy knoll...

The real conspiracy is...Don't let anyone tell you you can't make art with AI.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
when you've pushed it too hard and the AI gives up mid-image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Ok, show me where a diffusion model does this.

Because that’s literally not how this works. At all. For someone named “funkyAI” you don’t seem to know anything about AI.

https://twitter.com/bobjinx/status/1599768943849222145?cxt=HHwWgsCtzZzYwrMsAAAA

I may not know as much about AI as you, but I do know what a lowercase L looks like.

Tunicate posted:

Guys i think the poster with a smug hitler avatar might be saying dumb poo poo as a low effort troll

I was gifted the smug na'vi for my efforts in changing people's avatars to na'vis. The hitler dog nose was an unfortunate oversight.

Tree Reformat posted:

Well, it's not generating large strings of numbers from ai or photoshop, it's not striking a bunch of photons on some silver crystal-infused celluose, it's not rubbing some graphite on a thin layer of wood pulp, it's not knocking chunks off a block of marble, it's not shaping wet clay into a cone and baking it, and it's not smearing some plant pigments on a cave wall.

It's the intent of a self-aware mind that transforms those actions into art. "Art" is a human construct we arbitrarily assign to the physical results of other humans' action, assuming there was conscious intent on their part.

I appreciate this response, and feel like the way these tools mine existing images and styles of artists make expressing specific intent far more difficult.