Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sundae posted:

Not gay vampires specifically, but yeah, lovely romance novels and erotica shorts. We Paid off my student loans and my wife’s loans with them. Also, probably a bigger factor in me stopping than Amazon sucking was me landing a job I actually really liked plus the loan payoffs, which made it feel like I’d reached a finish line. It seemed like a good place to stop. :)

It's a shame I just did my annual outside business interest declaration and answered "lol, no" else I'd be tempted to put "I sell gay vampire fiction on Amazon" to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's a shame I just did my annual outside business interest declaration and answered "lol, no" else I'd be tempted to put "I sell gay vampire fiction on Amazon" to see what happens.

What is an “annual outside business” declaration? Once a year tell your job you don’t have/own other jobs? Luckily my employee handbook just says “hey tell us if you do business with a supplier or customer to avoid appearances of conflicts of interest.”

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I have never answered yes to any of that stuff, ever, even when my outside business interests weren't writing. If my CEO was allowed to be on the board of directors for a different pharma company and also a director at McDonalds at the same time, then they don't get to say poo poo about me making a few grand a month on the side.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sundae posted:

I have never answered yes to any of that stuff, ever, even when my outside business interests weren't writing. If my CEO was allowed to be on the board of directors for a different pharma company and also a director at McDonalds at the same time, then they don't get to say poo poo about me making a few grand a month on the side.

Few grand a month side gig, any tips for landing something like that? Love the idea of side income (along with everyone else) but haven’t found a decent fit yet. There’s not much in my direct specialty that I could realistically do but I would be happy to branch out if I could find something lucrative.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sundae posted:

To be fair they also declare those activities.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Few grand a month side gig, any tips for landing something like that? Love the idea of side income (along with everyone else) but haven’t found a decent fit yet. There’s not much in my direct specialty that I could realistically do but I would be happy to branch out if I could find something lucrative.

Just depends on your specialty and what you're interested in. I had my writing stuff, occasionally made book covers for people, did some photoshop work here and there, and also edited people's books for them. A lot of it was casual networked stuff on forums with other writers, etc; I wasn't with any other company.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Tnuctip posted:

What is an “annual outside business” declaration? Once a year tell your job you don’t have/own other jobs? Luckily my employee handbook just says “hey tell us if you do business with a supplier or customer to avoid appearances of conflicts of interest.”

Conflicts of interest basically. I guess for IT people like me it's, idk, you make some software in your spare time or something so it's irrelevant but whatever. But idk maybe you are on the board of a charity or the local yacht club or whatever execs do.

I haven't actually read the policy because of aforementioned "lol, no" but I guess it has some better examples.

There's a similar one about doing your own share dealing stuff (this is financial services so this is a more likely conflict of interest), but if you don't tell them you have an account and don't send copy trades through they'll basically never know so it basically only catches out idiots.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

In less boring news the potential new job got bogged down in internal approvals (I guess even MDs are subject to the restrictions of arbitrary headcount limits) and has gone quiet but I'm not chasing up because I guess it either happens or it doesn't.

But in the mean time I got moved into this year's promotion round so now have to justify myself and explain my role to my own management which is....weird.

If I get through that though, I have verbal support from a literal board member and a friend knows two of the approval committee members and said "I will tell them to approve you" so that bodes well.

So I look forward to getting passed over by my own management for some bullshit like "you need a better platform".

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Tnuctip posted:

In these United States Of America, I have a hard time disbelieving that any company catching wind of an employee making any money at all in their free time would infact cite their "conflict of interest" clause no matter how far removed the industry is from "gay vampire romance novels" to get their piece of the pie.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cheesus posted:

In these United States Of America, I have a hard time disbelieving that any company catching wind of an employee making any money at all in their free time would infact cite their "conflict of interest" clause no matter how far removed the industry is from "gay vampire romance novels" to get their piece of the pie.

There’s the (apocryphal?) story that Disney required artists to send a copy of any drawing their illustrators did to their archives and claiming ownership resulted in a shitload of smut in the vault.

I imagine the same thing happens with all these IP assignments regardless of industry, and that in a filing cabinet back at hq, next to the recipe for comirnaty is a thousand page billionaire gay dragon vampire epic.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

in a well actually posted:

There’s the (apocryphal?) story that Disney required artists to send a copy of any drawing their illustrators did to their archives and claiming ownership resulted in a shitload of smut in the vault.

I imagine the same thing happens with all these IP assignments regardless of industry, and that in a filing cabinet back at hq, next to the recipe for comirnaty is a thousand page billionaire gay dragon vampire epic.

“Top. Men.”

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Tnuctip posted:

I think what they're talking about is a declaration of financial interest in other companies.

It's less making sure your employer gets a cut of your side gig and more of that they want to make sure you don't have a conflict of interest. Every form like that I've seen specifically limits the declarations you have to make to business in the same industry as the employer or other businesses that they do business with.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The only time I ever have had to file anything like that was back when I worked for a state environmental regulator, and I suspect the reasons there are pretty obvious.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Working for a big 4, even on the consulting side, you get to do quarterly independence which involves sharing every detail of your and your close family’s investments with your employer, being limited in what you can own or which financial institutions you can do business with, and agreeing to financial penalties if you make mistakes or don’t include things. It’s great, definitely doesn’t make me question my choice of employer.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Oh that reminds of when I was on the support team for the platform you used to log this stuff and some guy did an "email all" with a query of "does this policy mean I have to declare business interests of my wife? Because if so why? She doesn't do anything I tell her to, I have no influence whatsoever. I find the idea offensive!"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I think what they're talking about is a declaration of financial interest in other companies.

It's less making sure your employer gets a cut of your side gig and more of that they want to make sure you don't have a conflict of interest. Every form like that I've seen specifically limits the declarations you have to make to business in the same industry as the employer or other businesses that they do business with.

Depends on the employer. At PFE, the employment contract claimed ownership of [para] all IP created during or outside work hours by the employee, regardless of relevance. It also stated that I was only permitted to have one job and could not maintain any other employer or self-employed occupation. (The things you'll sign when it's your first job and your student loans are about to come due, huh?)

Edit: I also suspect that it wouldn't hold up in court, but that didn't stop them from making me sign it during on-boarding. :haw:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 4, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sundae posted:

Depends on the employer. At PFE, the employment contract claimed ownership of [para] all IP created during or outside work hours by the employee, regardless of relevance. It also stated that I was only permitted to have one job and could not maintain any other employer or self-employed occupation. (The things you'll sign when it's your first job and your student loans are about to come due, huh?)

Edit: I also suspect that it wouldn't hold up in court, but that didn't stop them from making me sign it during on-boarding. :haw:

Wow I've never had something that bad, but one small business I worked for changed their non-compete several years in to exclude employees from working in any industry or field that the CEO has in interest in exploring whether communicated to the organization or not, for 2 years. So basically if you took another job in the same industry or in a different industry the CEO thought maybe he was going to do something in, he could sue you. We were required to sign that contract to continue employment on the spot as well! There is no way that would be enforceable in court if it ever came to it, but I haven't heard of any former employees that he went after.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

docbeard posted:

The only time I ever have had to file anything like that was back when I worked for a state environmental regulator, and I suspect the reasons there are pretty obvious.

So they can calibrate how big of a bribe to ask for?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
When I was a buyer for the government they went so deep up my financials rear end I could still feel it for years afterwards.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
Kind of a long story, but my mental health has taken a hit with the last 2 years of bad luck with jobs. Please give me some reassurance it doesn't have to be this way.

I work in accounting in NYC and its been absolute terrible luck since Covid. I had a great job, well paying, 40 hours max a week, great teammates, great large company but they downsized the NYC division during Covid so we all got laid off.

Since then I've worked with a god awful company after that which well known, but the teams there were so lean and shortstaffed I worked nonstop 10 hour days for the 1.5 years I was there. These were the issues there:

• Team of 7 downsized to 4, when the team of 7 was already underwater.
  • Nonstop work, I'm not exaggerating. 10 hours a day, everyday.
  • Backlogged work they kept pressuring me to work on weekends.
  • Cameras on for meetings. Have to be wearing a tie despite working from home 4 days out of 5.
  • 6 hours of meetings daily at a minimum in intense settings with people getting yelled at.
  • A number of staff walking out. I saw someone crying in the bathroom on more than 1 occassion. This is a white collar professional job.

Then I got a call from someone I knew that I worked at with a few years ago, they offered me a job at another place but warned me that it was a negative and extremely political place. It's a middle sized company that is far from a household name, but some youtubers and such do use the product.

I come in and its been 2 months now, I started in October. I got bad vibes at first, but wrote it off to being paranoid.

Well since then I've discovered/had issues with:

• CEO likes to blame issues on everyone else, directly down the chain. They literally make up lies about you with you in the room and then scoff when you debunk it.
  • CEO hired nothing but their friends. & If you aren't in their original friend group from high school (literally), they blame things on you and give you impossible tasks.
  • Insurmountable workload with nonstop posturing to the board and upper management.
  • Random layoffs recently of about 20% of the company of people who did most of the work, but they aren't connected with the CEO, and since they weren't connected they were doing alot of work.
  • There's been issues with payroll and I've had to move money around multiple times to make sure everyone gets paid.
  • They seem to disregard financial rules and keep coming up with random numbers. Sure its whatever if its just internal, but once an audit is done, they won't accept anything but the truth.
  • My staff are all burnt out and political since the people who were doing the work left

TLDR: Please tell me that bad stints in careers happen and that I'm not going crazy? Because I have a long and good work history prior to the shitshow that happened after covid. I'm desperately trying to find a normal place with work life balance, but there's so many red flags with the companies that are interviewing within the city. It seems like all the good places aren't hiring.

I'm deduced it to needing to go work for large Fortune 20 company or at least a Fortune 100. Does anyone have any recommendations for good companies in NYC that I should shoot for with work life balance? It's been absolute insanity to the point where I'm willing to take a paycut.

On the plus side, my wife makes a decent amount. She can cover my bills indefinitely. She told me that I can quit because we WFH together and she sees the insanity daily.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm in Australia so I can't recommend any leads on the job front, but I can tell you that it's easy to fall into a mindset of "poo poo's bad everywhere" or "maybe the problem is me" if you've had two bad jobs in a row. This was me in 2021, not the same situation as you obviously but just two complete shitfights one after the other and it really knocked my confidence.

My advice to you is that if you can afford to take a bit of a time out from your horrible job and put all your energy into finding something else, and at the same time give your mental health a chance to recover do it.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

bee posted:

I'm in Australia so I can't recommend any leads on the job front, but I can tell you that it's easy to fall into a mindset of "poo poo's bad everywhere" or "maybe the problem is me" if you've had two bad jobs in a row. This was me in 2021, not the same situation as you obviously but just two complete shitfights one after the other and it really knocked my confidence.

My advice to you is that if you can afford to take a bit of a time out from your horrible job and put all your energy into finding something else, and at the same time give your mental health a chance to recover do it.

Thanks, that really helps me. I've called up my friends and even some old bosses I've kept in touch with and they scoffed at me for even asking them this. Said, bad jobs are everywhere, its clearly them not you, you aren't fudging numbers.

So after the Covid layoff I had sick family to take care of so there was a 5 month gap between jobs?

I got the 1st bad job and actually lasted 1.5 years. The second one I got recruited into now its been 2 months and I don't see it lasting.

How do I explain a gap if I just up and quit this one? I had a talk with my direct boss who recruited me, and they've said its so miserable here I can quit and they'll give me a good reference to help me move on but only if I promise to refer them as well first chance I get (yeah it is that bad).

My best friend's dad runs a successful small company and told me that I could just put him down as my employer as I searched and he'll vouch, but obviously there's no documents that will prove that but I figure most companies can't check that deep anyways. Is that an advisable way to go about this?

I just don't know the best way of job searching with a short stint on the resume at a horrible place that I'm sure will go bankrupt within 1-2 years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

I just don't know the best way of job searching with a short stint on the resume at a horrible place that I'm sure will go bankrupt within 1-2 years.

Two months? Don't put it on your resume. One gap is easier to paper over than two.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
So much earlier in my career in banking I had a similar experience. Working in branches for a couple different companies, I basically ended up only ever having maybe one or two managers who were not completely insane. I had a manager who took me into the back room and screamed at me because I slipped from the number two to the number 3 sales person in a district with 90-100 sales staff, because he wanted the two personal bankers at his branch to be #1 and #2, not #1 and #3.

I had a different manager that would throw things at us in front of customers when she got angry, which happened at least once a week.

If had another one who would yell at you for what she thought you were saying or suggesting before you got done with your sentence and asked whatever question you were trying to ask.

I thought something was wrong with me and that I just couldn’t handle the working world, until my father in law who has worked in a lovely factory for at that point 40 years told me that it wasn’t right they were yelling at me, at his job they used to cuss but they never yelled, and they didn’t even cuss anymore. At his job there used to be so much smoke in the place from industrial processes that you couldn’t see across the shop floor, and it was a real reality check for my that by this crusty, hard rear end old man’s standards they were treating me poorly. I moved to the back office and met with a bunch of other people who all said “Holy poo poo, the branches are managed by crazy assholes aren’t they? Let me tell you about this manager I had in the branch…”

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I am far removed from your field, but I literally don't give a poo poo about short stints if everything else about a candidate checks out, I just assume that short stint = poo poo job or a family/medical event. Not everyone will make that assumption though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I also don't care about short stints unless you have a whoooooole lot of them. Everyone can have poo poo employers or jobs that just don't suit them; as long as you don't seem like everyone was the problem (in which case you're the problem), you're fine.

I probably wouldn't tell the new employer that the old employer was poo poo during the interviews, though. I had an employee who told me, during her interview, that she was leaving her current employer because of their bad safety practices. She wasn't given PPE to work with acids, and something splashed on her face. She had facial scarring/scabbing at the time of the interview, so I more or less just nodded and said "yup, makes 100% sense to me." However, the HR rep who interviewed her as part of our panel didn't like that she threw her employer under the bus like that. We outvoted the HR person, but it still kinda went to show that even a perfectly legit grievance against an employer can be interpreted as bussing them (by the sort of poo poo-tier sycophant who makes HR their life calling.)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sundae posted:

I also don't care about short stints unless you have a whoooooole lot of them. Everyone can have poo poo employers or jobs that just don't suit them; as long as you don't seem like everyone was the problem (in which case you're the problem), you're fine.

I probably wouldn't tell the new employer that the old employer was poo poo during the interviews, though. I had an employee who told me, during her interview, that she was leaving her current employer because of their bad safety practices. She wasn't given PPE to work with acids, and something splashed on her face. She had facial scarring/scabbing at the time of the interview, so I more or less just nodded and said "yup, makes 100% sense to me." However, the HR rep who interviewed her as part of our panel didn't like that she threw her employer under the bus like that. We outvoted the HR person, but it still kinda went to show that even a perfectly legit grievance against an employer can be interpreted as bussing them (by the sort of poo poo-tier sycophant who makes HR their life calling.)

Drop your hr person into a vat of acid god drat

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

I probably wouldn't tell the new employer that the old employer was poo poo during the interviews, though.

No probably about it. Lie, deflect the question, anything but slagging a previous employer. Sundae's hire got lucky to be interviewing with decent people. Although she could have made her point by deflecting while casually scratching the scar.

When I was trying to get out of the advertising agency, I interviewed at an editing studio. I hit it off great with the hiring manager, we were talking future projects by the end of the studio tour. While we were doing that, we ran into one of the hotshot freelance editors. She gave me a big hug and was all excited that I was working there, or at least going to be. We got back to the manager's office to finish up... and he asked me why I was looking for a new job. Like an idiot, I told him. A bit into my spiel I just thanked him for his time and made my excuses.

Don't badmouth any previous employer for any reason until well after you've actually started the new job.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Question:
What line of education would be the most direct and obvious path towards a career in HR?
A buddy of mine pointed out that HR doesn't have a specialized education aiming for that role, so the job is commonly done by the people who couldn't do better or lives to be a petty tyrant about pointless rules.

Now I'm wondering which educational track produces the largest percentage of people "best suited" for the role of HR drone.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Here in Australia HR people with a bachelor of business or some kind of non-uni diploma in HR is pretty common. I did a psychology degree, realised about half way through that I didn't have the beans to be working in mental health or academia and did a non-research masters in organisational psych with a few HR subjects in it and went from there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

champagne posting posted:

Drop your hr person into a vat of acid god drat

Do you want an HR Harley Quinn? Because that’s how you end up with an HR Harley Quinn.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sundae posted:

However, the HR rep who interviewed her as part of our panel didn't like that she threw her employer under the bus like that.

The interviewee dared to admit that work was anything but bliss for them! Even worse, provided irrefutable evidence that the Employer holds any responsibility at all, ever. How blasphemous!

that tik tok about the office being religion rings ever true.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

While we must respect his intellectual prowess, we must categorically reject Mr. Nygma's application for employment, as he went on at great length about his grievances with his previous employer. Further, his resume was borderline illegible and his attire was completely inappropriate for a formal interview.

And does anyone know what he meant by "when is a human not a resource?"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SerthVarnee posted:

Question:
What line of education would be the most direct and obvious path towards a career in HR?
A buddy of mine pointed out that HR doesn't have a specialized education aiming for that role, so the job is commonly done by the people who couldn't do better or lives to be a petty tyrant about pointless rules.

Now I'm wondering which educational track produces the largest percentage of people "best suited" for the role of HR drone.

My wife's degrees are in history and African studies. She's HR at an NGO, kind of fell into it after being frustrated working project-side and dealing with nobody caring about hiring practices or organizational competence or such.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The interviewee dared to admit that work was anything but bliss for them! Even worse, provided irrefutable evidence that the Employer holds any responsibility at all, ever. How blasphemous!

that tik tok about the office being religion rings ever true.

As far as I can tell that video is gone, at least from Twitter =[

I wish I had thought to download it, it was brilliant.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Zarin posted:

As far as I can tell that video is gone, at least from Twitter =[

I wish I had thought to download it, it was brilliant.

Found a duet.

https://www.tiktok.com/@.thegoodcult/video/7163318873326931246

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

SerthVarnee posted:

Question:

Sorority

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

lol

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Amazing! Thank you so much!

There was a part two; did that get rolled into that one or is there a second one?

I guess this is as good as any reason to finally get TikTok :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

Question:

I had an elective course with a bunch of students going for their HR Master’s degree.

It was terrifying.