Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sooner or later they'll get rid of the trial pricing, but until then it's a better value than even torrents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

isn't it 15bux after the 1 dollar trial ends
efb

It offers me the $1 trial every time. I just tell them to cancel my subscription a few days before the trial ends.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't like it because I feel bound to only play gamepass games and my backlog only goes up in the meantime

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The General posted:

Game pass costs less than a coffee every six months, there's no reason not to have it.

Despite living in a country that's in EU, gamepass or even XBOX Live is not available in my country.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Even free, the SteamDeck isn't worth the price.

The General posted:

Game pass costs less than a coffee every six months, there's no reason not to have it.

I keep looking at the list of games every few months, and 99% of the list is stuff I'll never play, so it's not worth it to me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rinkles posted:

How much does coffee cost now?
At the convenience store I work at, $2.02 - $2.44.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

It all stems down to people running giveaways years ago and then some crybaby crybabying because they weren't allowed to enter the sweepstakes to win something because they weren't willing to go buy a taco or whatever was required to enter. So now you have to offer a free entry via the mail. And even then, I think there are some states where you just can't do a giveaway at all.
Crybaby? Really?

It should be illegal to require people to spend money to enter a contest. Period.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Crybaby? Really?

It should be illegal to require people to spend money to enter a contest. Period.

If you have to pay money to enter, then it's not a contest, it's a lottery. Lotteries require much, much more regulation and permissions to do, so every contest you see in the US will have a mail-in-to-enter option to avoid that headache.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Flair posted:

The fineprint does that say, but I am not looking to double my winnings. I am only looking to increase my chances.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Kheldarn posted:

I keep looking at the list of games every few months, and 99% of the list is stuff I'll never play, so it's not worth it to me.

There's so much stuff I'd never pull the trigger on but end up trying on Gamepass and loving. This year that included Tinykin, TMNT, Hardspace Shipbreaker, Slime Rancher 2, Trek to Yomi, Vampire Survivors, Nobody Saves the World, Archvale, State of Decays, Metal:Hellsinger, Power Wash Simulator, Grounded, Somerville, and currently chewing through Dyson Sphere. I do Bing rewards and haven't bought Gamepass since loading up years ago. It's insane.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah plus you only need one or two games you like to be worth it. I bought it for a month and beat signalis and deathloop, that was worth it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://shop.rebellion.com/product/aliens-versus-predator-classic-2000-steam/

Code REBEL30 gets you a free(ish) copy of AvP2000

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Ah sweet, a free duplicate key. Thanks Rebellion.

A free game I can't play, the perfect crime

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Vadun posted:

Ah sweet, a free duplicate key. Thanks Rebellion.

A free game I can't play, the perfect crime

Yeah, it looks like the store is trying to get personal information from you in order to give you a key that does not work.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kheldarn posted:

Are you in the right thread. A SteamDeck for free is the ultimate free game thread giveaway. You paid nothing, and cannot play it, it's just a trophy like all the other free games that we redeem here.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Are you in the right thread. A SteamDeck for free is the ultimate free game thread giveaway. You paid nothing, and cannot play it, it's just a trophy like all the other free games that we redeem here.

you can break into it and turn it into an emulator machine

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Lib and let die posted:

you can break into it and turn it into an emulator machine

If you got it for free though, we don't use free crap we get from this thread. It's just not what's done.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If you got it for free though, we don't use free crap we get from this thread. It's just not what's done.

What if I used it to sign up a burner email?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SnakesRevenge posted:

What if I used it to sign up a burner email?
Valid, as long as you don't then proceed to use that email to sign up for anything

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Signing up with an email isn't free therefore you can play anything you get

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

Does it suck? I've heard a lot of good things.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LividLiquid posted:

Does it suck? I've heard a lot of good things.
I don't know what OP is on about, I love mine and haven't played a game on my PC since I bought it. Best gaming purchase I've made since the Switch.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Commander Keene posted:

I don't know what OP is on about, I love mine and haven't played a game on my PC since I bought it. Best gaming purchase I've made since the Switch.

This, I very much enjoy mine. It's great.

Also works great as a high powered Steam Link if you dock it to your TV, so you can just stream your PC games to the TV.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If you value portability, the Switch and Steam Deck are great. If you don’t, they’re overpriced underpowered junk. It has more to do with your lifestyle than the devices themselves.

I don’t really want to play complicated console games on my 15 minute coffee breaks at work. But I can imagine those devices are life changing for overnight security guards or IT people.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 6, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keene posted:

BGrifter posted:

If you value portability, the Switch and Steam Deck are great. If you don’t, they’re overpriced underpowered junk. It has more to do with your lifestyle than the devices themselves.

I don’t really want to play complicated console games on my 15 minute coffee breaks at work. But I can imagine those devices are life changing for overnight security guards or IT people.

I'm a big portable guy... that's why I bought a Switch and an Odin. The reason that I am wary of the Steam Deck, besides its price, is that I'm not sure how much utility it has for non-Steam things. What I mean is other things such as emulation, running non-Steam .exes like GOG installers and fan-made games, installing .iso files etc

Fuzz posted:

This, I very much enjoy mine. It's great.

Also works great as a high powered Steam Link if you dock it to your TV, so you can just stream your PC games to the TV.

I'm not proud of this, but I have a Steam Link (and a Steam controller) that I bought on one of those ridiculous 90% off annual sales and I've never used the link. I never really understood what it was for.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
SteamDeck is also noticeably bigger and heavier than a switch, FWIW.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not proud of this, but I have a Steam Link (and a Steam controller) that I bought on one of those ridiculous 90% off annual sales and I've never used the link. I never really understood what it was for.

You play your steam library on your TV, my wife and I switched off playing Oxygen Not Included and a few others hanging out and chatting while we played. It was a lot of fun.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

OddObserver posted:

SteamDeck is also noticeably bigger and heavier than a switch, FWIW.

Yeah I think portability is thrown around too casually for the Deck. The thing is massive. I'm a GPD toucher and like my clamshells. Even the WM2 is just more easily portable than a deck. Not nearly as ergonomic, though....

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm a GPD toucher and like my clamshells.

what the gently caress…??

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Yeah I think portability is thrown around too casually for the Deck. The thing is massive. I'm a GPD toucher and like my clamshells. Even the WM2 is just more easily portable than a deck. Not nearly as ergonomic, though....
The Deck is noticeably bigger than the Switch, yes, but it's in the same weight class in portability imo. It's not something you can just stick in your pocket like Nintendo's pre-Switch portables, but it'll fit in basically any laptop bag. It's less of a "play anywhere" console and more of a "take with you on trips" or "play PC games in bed" console.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can throw it into a backpack, it's portable.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Kheldarn posted:

in the spirit of the thread if someone wants to give me a free steam deck i promise i wont use it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

it has some heft but it's more comfortable for me to handle than the switch now

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Once you put the Split Pad Pro on your Switch it's pretty close to the same

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Except the Deck's controllers don't feel like you're going to break them off the rails at the slightest twist. You're not with the Split Pad Pro, but it feels like you are a lot of the time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm a big portable guy... that's why I bought a Switch and an Odin. The reason that I am wary of the Steam Deck, besides its price, is that I'm not sure how much utility it has for non-Steam things. What I mean is other things such as emulation, running non-Steam .exes like GOG installers and fan-made games, installing .iso files etc

Uhhhh... It's easily the best portable emulator that currently exists. It can also easily install all the other game stores. I have EGS installed on it and it works fine. The whole thing has a Linux shell you can freely access and do whatever you want with it, and there's a shitload of third party dev interest and support.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The General posted:

No idea. Haven't bought one in 20 years. But it was like 3bux then, so I assume it's like $15 now, and with gamepass being a buck a month, there's no reason not to have it.

Rinkles posted:

I don’t think everyone can reliably repeatedly get the $1 deal.

Welp, it stopped working for me this month. Game Pass PC shows up as $10.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it has some heft but it's more comfortable for me to handle than the switch now

I have enormous hands, so one thing I am not worried about with a Steam Deck is ergonomics.

Fuzz posted:

Uhhhh... It's easily the best portable emulator that currently exists. It can also easily install all the other game stores. I have EGS installed on it and it works fine. The whole thing has a Linux shell you can freely access and do whatever you want with it, and there's a shitload of third party dev interest and support.

Please don't condescend to me. I'm not going to plump £600 or whatever for a Steam Deck when I'm not sure of its capabilities. See my recent post about self-installing .exe files, installing from .iso files, emulation etc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you could try spending five minutes to look it up i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

site posted:

you could try spending five minutes to look it up i guess

He's got a point though. He could buy a whole 27 Double Dragon Advances for that much money. And fraction of a minute spent looking it up instead of being insufferable on the forums might make it add up to 28 Double Dragon Advances!