Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The Dolphins out gained the Vikings 458 to 234 and lost by 8. (with a Bridgewater/Skylar combo at QB)

The Vikings aren't very good at football but they are good at winning games they probably don't deserve to. Though thinking about it now, they swept the best division in football so maybe they are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

One team has Josh Allen.

if he got outplayed by zach wilson how good is he really? makes you think

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheBizzness posted:

The Dolphins out gained the Vikings 458 to 234 and lost by 8. (with a Bridgewater/Skylar combo at QB)

The Vikings aren't very good at football but they are good at winning games they probably don't deserve to. Though thinking about it now, they swept the best division in football so maybe they are good?

They have a terrible defense, a mediocre at best QB and one all world WR. Very weird team. They are 100% losing their first round playoff game. It would be cool to be in a division where you just get a bye into the playoffs and a home playoff game lol

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Josh Allen is good but he has not been playing at the elite level that he was last year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think Allen's been better this season than he was last year. His gently caress off incredible postseason has kind of obscured that he didn't even make the initial Pro Bowl roster last year (though that was a joke).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Like if you told be before the game we'd outgain them 486-287, Jefferson would be held to 45 yards, Kirk would have a 4.9 Y/A, and Garrett Wilson would go off for 162 I'd have assumed it was Jets in a blowout.

Kirk was top 5 in QBR though.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

mcmagic posted:

They have a terrible defense, a mediocre at best QB and one all world WR. Very weird team. They are 100% losing their first round playoff game. It would be cool to be in a division where you just get a bye into the playoffs and a home playoff game lol

They also have two stud RBs in Cook and Mattison that can in theory keep the ball out of Cousin’s hands but usually don’t? Weird team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Like if you told be before the game we'd outgain them 486-287, Jefferson would be held to 45 yards, Kirk would have a 4.9 Y/A, and Garrett Wilson would go off for 162 I'd have assumed it was Jets in a blowout.

Kirk was top 5 in QBR though.

The more I think about that game the more depressing it gets that they lost. Jets were the better team for most of the game. I loving HATE shotgun on the one yard line so loving much.

Bellmaker posted:

They also have two stud RBs in Cook and Mattison that can in theory keep the ball out of Cousin’s hands but usually don’t? Weird team.
Cook isn't elite anymore and Mattison is kind of a guy. They aren't exceptional players.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I didnt realize the Jets also had almost 500 yards of offense while holding the Vikes under 300. Thats silly.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is a bad miss by Mike White. Wilson cooks Patrick Peterson for a would be 86 yarder.

Kid is the best WR I've ever seen the Jets draft.

https://twitter.com/BoyGreen25/status/1599614682754449408

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is a bad miss by Mike White. Wilson cooks Patrick Peterson for a would be 86 yarder.

Kid is the best WR I've ever seen the Jets draft.

https://twitter.com/BoyGreen25/status/1599614682754449408

Pain

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That was a bad miss but he still led them down the field and put them in position to win after that

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

And also I don't think Wilson beats that safety.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

And also I don't think Wilson beats that safety.
Zach Wilson probably air-mails or turfs the throw anyway LOL he's loving bad.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

mcmagic posted:

It's reasonable to say the Jets are slightly worse than the bills and both teams should've beat the lovely overrated lucksack Vikings. I do think the Bills loss is worse because how the gently caress do you fumble a snap there.

Hey, screw you pal! Our offense and special teams are in no way overrated.

No, I didn't forget anything. Don't look over there, at least not until the last two minutes.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Zach Wilson probably air-mails or turfs the throw anyway LOL he's loving bad.

Garrett Wilson is the receiver :v:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

lol at poo poo talking the Vikings division schedule when they swept the AFC East.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1599826176834293760?s=46&t=hu_jOB0Kar5OtTR7AOzT-g

Yes!!! Hahaha… yes!! bring tua into the cold on a short week.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wtf why you doin this nfl? You trying to freeze my pineapple?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

NFL cheating once again for its favorite franchise, the Buffalo Bills.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Belichick not moving off Patricia this season as playcaller.

quote:

Appearing on WEEI’s The Greg Hill Show on Monday morning, head coach Bill Belichick said that the team is too far along in the process to do that.

“We need to do what we’re doing better,” Belichick said. “I don’t think at this point making a lot of dramatic changes — it’s too hard to do that. If we can just do, consistently, what we’re doing, I think we’ll be all right.”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

lol at poo poo talking the Vikings division schedule when they swept the AFC East.

Who cares? The next best team in their division is 5-7...

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I have tickets to a concert on the 17th so I won’t have to watch the Bills get their revenge. Tg.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

Who cares? The next best team in their division is 5-7...

They’ve beaten more teams in your division than their own.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They’ve beaten more teams in your division than their own.
Isn't his point that the Vikings are sleepwalking to a home playoff game and possible bye primarily because of the shittiness of their own division? Eloquence aside, is that wrong?

quote:

20. Minnesota Vikings

Here's a quick restack of the Vikings' raw statistics and rankings:

Yards Per Game: 335.8 (19th).
Yards Allowed Per Game: 398.7 (31st).
Net Yards Per Play: 5.19 (21st).
Net Yards Allowed Per Play: 6.03 (30th).
Third-Down Conversion Rate: 40.6% (13th).
Third-Down Conversions Allowed: 38.3% (13th).
Red Zone Touchdown Rate: 61.4% (ninth).
Red Zone Touchdown Rate Allowed: 56.8% (20th).

Those are the numbers of a 6-6 team. The Vikings hold major advantages in categories like starting field position (30.2, third in the NFL) and penalty yardage differential (+159 yards, second to the Falcons), and of course they are +8 in takeaways (third to the Eagles and Cowboys). That's still the profile of, at best, an 8-4 team.

In summary, don't blame DVOA for hating the Vikings. Every metric except the standings hates the Vikings.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Isn't his point that the Vikings are sleepwalking to a home playoff game and possible bye primarily because of the shittiness of their own division? Eloquence aside, is that wrong?

They haven’t even played half of their division schedule. You can’t really accuse them of sleepwalking to their current record when they have twice as many wins over teams with a winning record as, say, the Bills.

They’re winning ugly but they’re winning and it’s not exclusively against bad teams. The NFC East and AFC East is a pretty tough draw. The Lions and Packers look more dangerous than they did at the beginning of the year as well while New England and Miami are looking worse as the year goes on. I don’t think their SoS is bad at all, especially compared to the Jets.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They haven’t even played half of their division schedule. You can’t really accuse them of sleepwalking to their current record when they have twice as many wins over teams with a winning record as, say, the Bills.

They’re winning ugly but they’re winning and it’s not exclusively against bad teams. The NFC East and AFC East is a pretty tough draw. The Lions and Packers look more dangerous than they did at the beginning of the year as well while New England and Miami are looking worse as the year goes on. I don’t think their SoS is bad at all, especially compared to the Jets.
It's not a matter of SoS. The sleepwalking to the home playoff game is reference to having no competition within their own division standings.

For record, Minnesota has the 3rd hardest SoS by DVOA up until now. The Jets have had the 4th hardest. Neither have been bad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Is mcmagic here talking about the Vikings or the Raiders? Who could tell, they're identical teams with comically different records.

Belichick not moving off Patricia this season as playcaller.

I mean, who would they move to right now? It's December, it was a hosed decision, but they're stuck with it for a month and they fire Patricia immediately or the fans gonna get real rowdy.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Kalli posted:

I mean, who would they move to right now? It's December, it was a hosed decision, but they're stuck with it for a month and they fire Patricia immediately or the fans gonna get real rowdy.

Pretty much. Damage has already been done.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's not a matter of SoS. The sleepwalking to the home playoff game is reference to having no competition within their own division standings.

For record, Minnesota has the 3rd hardest SoS by DVOA up until now. The Jets have had the 4th hardest. Neither have been bad.

They’re 10-2. That record pretty much always puts you in the drivers seat for a home game. They’re a good team in a weak division but based on who they’ve played they’d probably be looking at a home game and possible bye even if they were in another division.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

fsif posted:

I think Allen's been better this season than he was last year. His gently caress off incredible postseason has kind of obscured that he didn't even make the initial Pro Bowl roster last year (though that was a joke).

yeah, Allen's had a run of not good games this season that are hopefully explained to one extent or another by the elbow injury, but his lows last year were unquestionably worse. his complete dismantling of the patriots in the wildcard and his unreal game against KC have made people completely forget

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Vikings are a slightly above average team in a bad division who has caught some lucky breaks to be 10-2 instead of 7-5

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I think the Jimmy G injury makes it more likely he's a Jet next season. He's not going to get NEARLY as much money now. If White plays this well for the rest of the year, I think it would be reasonable to bring him back and Jimmy G and let them fight it out in TC after firing Wilson directly into the sun.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nodoze posted:

The Vikings are a slightly above average team in a bad division who has caught some lucky breaks to be 10-2 instead of 7-5

Every team that wins a lot of games caught lucky breaks to get there, even the really good ones.

And relative to the standard of the league this year the Vikings are better than above average. There’s a lot of really bad football teams out there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Every team that wins a lot of games caught lucky breaks to get there, even the really good ones.

And relative to the standard of the league this year the Vikings are better than above average. There’s a lot of really bad football teams out there.

He just listed a plethora of the stats that matter and they are pretty average in most of them. It's a "fine" team with a horseshoe up their rear end.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Is mcmagic here talking about the Vikings or the Raiders? Who could tell, they're identical teams with comically different records.

I think Belichick is going to be in a similar situation to Saleh. The players are clearly becoming increasingly upset with how the offense is being run. You've already seen guys getting chippy and taking potshots at playcalling and execution. How much longer will they keep playing hard when the offense repeatedly lays turds and gives them no chance to win.

He might have to make a move just to keep things under control. As to who? The only other name that's been thrown around is Nick Caley, the TE coach.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Pats don't have any good offensive players other than Stevenson. The idea that their offense should be that much better than it has been this season seems pretty dumb.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think Belichick is going to be in a similar situation to Saleh. The players are clearly becoming increasingly upset with how the offense is being run. You've already seen guys getting chippy and taking potshots at playcalling and execution. How much longer will they keep playing hard when the offense repeatedly lays turds and gives them no chance to win.

He might have to make a move just to keep things under control. As to who? The only other name that's been thrown around is Nick Caley, the TE coach.

The two players (that I'm aware of) that have been publicly critical of the scheme are Mac Jones and Kendrick Bourne—who also both happen to be players that have been benched. Incredible that their discipline didn't take.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The Pats don't have any good offensive players other than Stevenson. The idea that their offense should be that much better than it has been this season seems pretty dumb.

A nearly identical offensive roster was #6 in points and #9 in offensive DVOA last season. They don't have any world beaters besides Stevenson, but they have a big middle class of guys who are all decent role players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A nearly identical offensive roster was #6 in points and #9 in offensive DVOA last season. They don't have any world beaters besides Stevenson, but they have a big middle class of guys who are all decent role players.

Sligthly better OC, Mac Jones before the league figured him out ect.

https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1599849745882746887

Also PFF just HATES Sauce.