Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I run Blueiris as well and it's good software. $60/yr but they run a trial so you can test the cameras without committing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
If any goons have Eufy cameras in their home, some stuff has come to light the last few days that you should probably read up on.

Eufy’s “No clouds” cameras upload facial thumbnails to AWS

Eufy’s “local storage” cameras can be streamed from anywhere, unencrypted

Anker/Eufy's response is awful. They're denying that the vulnerabilities exist, while in the same breath saying "hey, we followed all regulatory requirements" which is a typical corporate-speak CYA statement when you know you hosed up.

The person who originally found the flaw won't release a PoC because it's such a serious and reproducible vulnerability, but he has shown it privately to a few tech journalists and security researchers, and it seems absolutely legit and apparently easy to exploit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That sucks about anker/eufy, I have the doorbell cam smart lock thingie I haven’t installed yet because my door sucks but I probably won’t bother now :sigh:

Their response to it has been the worst thing about it, it they owned up and mea culpa’d and swore they’d fix it asap it would be easier to give them a pass.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

drat that’s incredible poo poo since eufy seemed like the go to brand if you wanted to keep everything local.

I’ve been eyeing their stuff for a while but will wait and see how this works out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hed posted:

Home Assistant constantly lets me know about integrations it discovered like: Apple TV, HD Home Run, my Audio Receiver, and my HP Printer.

What in the world am I missing by not having these set up? Ink alerts? A dashboard displaying what Apple TV is playing what?

For me, the Apple TV one is useful because you can then use Shortcuts with Apple TV and it can be nice to run a shortcut and have the TV pop on with the desired ap loaded up straight away. DVR would be useful for siri control (TIVO used to be integrated with Alexa and that was nice but they discontinued that), like the only thing I ever use voice commands for is when I can't find a remote. You could probably do some shortcut stuff with the printer too, or, push it to Home Assistant and do some weird poo poo there.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I keep ordering more Twinkly lights because they’re cool and on sale ☹️
Lol while on the one hand I'm mad I missed these sales I'm also happy because I really shouldn't buy a second set, I live in a very small apartment and one set covers my bedroom and 1 1/2 walls of my living room.

DaveSauce posted:

Are the twinkly lights good quality? Been looking for something better than the cheap Philips lights from target, and individually addressable is a big bonus.

They're pretty good, I like them. I don't lay my lights out in a compact enough fashion to make use of getting it to make like a picture of an elf or some poo poo but all of the regular ambiance routines work very well, especially if you do even really basic mapping. I was really worried the gold/white ones would just look like regular LED lights but I think the quality of the lights are as good as advertised (which, thank god considering the price).

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

For me, the Apple TV one is useful because you can then use Shortcuts with Apple TV and it can be nice to run a shortcut and have the TV pop on with the desired ap loaded up straight away.

Thank you. Now I’m going to spend the weekend to see if I can get the fireplace app to come up on a scene with my TV and lighting :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

drat that’s incredible poo poo since eufy seemed like the go to brand if you wanted to keep everything local.

I’ve been eyeing their stuff for a while but will wait and see how this works out.

If you want something local you need to keep it local. The "go to" to "keep everything local" is blue iris or other DVR along with POE cameras, all on VLANs that aren't accessible to the internet.

This eufy thing is just more confirmation that no, I'm not at all too paranoid about my home automation setup and keeping most of it on no routable firewalled off VLANs with only "trusted" control stuff like Blue Iris and Home Assistant on VLANs with extremely tightly controlled internet access is in fact the right move other than just throwing all of this poo poo in the bin.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I bought a second set of Twinklys when they were on sale

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I bought a second set of Twinklys when they were on sale

:eyepop: Santa Claus is coming!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For home video stuff I was eyeballing ubiquiti as well, I like how the udm pro has a drive bay to slot a hdd into.

I have a homekit camera now (just watching the front yard) and it’s good but homekit video seems really slow and limited.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I have a bunch of Eufy stuff (that I bought on advice from this thread) but I don't particularly care. China can see my face and the outside of my house, any fella can do that from the street anyway.

Not planning to expand my setup, but also not replacing it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Plus without it I wouldn't have cherished memories like "concrete worker pissing on my house"

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
edit: whoops removed the 1st half of this, thought I was in the Networking megathread :D

priznat posted:

For home video stuff I was eyeballing ubiquiti as well, I like how the udm pro has a drive bay to slot a hdd into.

I have a homekit camera now (just watching the front yard) and it’s good but homekit video seems really slow and limited.

I put a 8TB SSD in the UDM Pro drive bay and the seek times are soooo fast on the cameras

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 3, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

fletcher posted:

I put a 8TB SSD in the UDM Pro drive bay and the seek times are soooo fast on the cameras

That rocks. Is there good software for moving clips of interest (either manually or automatically flagged) to a NAS for longer term storage?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

priznat posted:

That rocks. Is there good software for moving clips of interest (either manually or automatically flagged) to a NAS for longer term storage?

I've been using rclone & this unifi-protect-backup pypi package to upload event clips as they occur to backblaze

I had originally started going down the route of running something on the UDM itself to backup the protect videos at the filesystem level, but they way it stores the videos and preallocates files proved to be problematic, so I went with this instead. I also didn't really like the idea of running custom poo poo on the UDM itself, so I run unifi-protect-backup using docker on a separate machine.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
My mom was wondering if there is a "smart" light switch she could get that was set for a timer so her outside lights could turn on and off at certain times and not have to worry about smart bulbs. Any advice? She wants to be able to tell alexa to turn on/off the light.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lutron Caseta with hub can do this. Smart switch, dumb bulb.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wish there was a plug and play camera system worth a poo poo out there. Like many of you I'm a computer toucher and I just do not want to deal with tech crap at home. It's everything I can do to keep my plex server running.

I picked up a cheap little Wyze camera for my back porch where a stray cat has started sleeping on my patio furniture and It's just so drat easy to use, the picture is decent, but I think I paid 35 bucks for this thing and it's way over performing for the money. The app works great, setup took all of 3 minutes. I'm really thinking about grabbing a few more for a few places around the house.

I've been meaning to get some proper cameras for a while to at least cover the back porch and driveway, some decent Dahua or something similar with starlight sensors, but then I have to run new PoE lines to my network closet, setup something to record like Blue Iris or buy an NVR and it'll end up costing somewhere between 500 to 1500 dollars all said and done. Just a lot of :effort: for something I'm going to have to babysit and maintain.

The idea of throwing up 200 dollars worth of these little Wyze cams and paying 130 bucks a year for their cam plus service seems pretty attractive to be honest.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just get some Rings? It’s like $100/year for unlimited cameras. I’ve had mine up for years, and the doorbell for like 7, and never any issues.

There’s the whole giving your footage to cops or whatever thing, but even if that did happen, I really don’t give 2 shits whether the cops see me working in my yard or my dog taking a dump.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is everyone using for small ZigBee/z wave plugs in the us, specifically with energy monitoring?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

There’s the whole giving your footage to cops or whatever thing

That's a hard pass for a lot of folks I imagine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That Works posted:

That's a hard pass for a lot of folks I imagine.

Oh yeah, absolutely, and I don't fault anyone for that. I was just saying that it doesn't bother me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Why does the HomeKit Home app suck so bad? Tried to view my doorbell cam this morning and it decided to not show any events that happened between 11pm last night and now in the camera timeline until I restarted the app.

I'm like, I know I've been out today, it should have at least recognized me once. And it finally did show that after I rebooted.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I guess this goes here:

Just bought a Roomba J7+ Combo, black Friday beckoned. I had some up close time with a J7+ and after thinking for years that robot vacs were overpriced bullshit, our house is cleaner than it ever has been and we were already neat freaks. I love that it is one device that mops and vacuums.

$900 was a tough price but honestly, while not perfect, it's amazing to see our carpet, hardwood and tile just sparkle every day like we just spent an hour cleaning.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like getting a cleaning robot for my 500 square foot apartment would be as cruel as getting a medium sized dog and that the Basilisk would punish me for it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rick posted:

I feel like getting a cleaning robot for my 500 square foot apartment would be as cruel as getting a medium sized dog and that the Basilisk would punish me for it.

I dunno what if the robot is lazy, I can relate

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I guess this goes here:

Just bought a Roomba J7+ Combo, black Friday beckoned. I had some up close time with a J7+ and after thinking for years that robot vacs were overpriced bullshit, our house is cleaner than it ever has been and we were already neat freaks. I love that it is one device that mops and vacuums.

$900 was a tough price but honestly, while not perfect, it's amazing to see our carpet, hardwood and tile just sparkle every day like we just spent an hour cleaning.

I got an i8+ for $500 on Black Friday last year and it rules. I bought a second one for upstairs on this year’s prime day or whatever. The self-empty tower is an absolute must and a game-changer.

The m6 mop I guess works, but it’s navigation algorithms are drastically different than the vacuum. It’ll do the dumbest poo poo ever. I’ll tell it to mop rooms A and B, but it hits something and will go do room C and call it good. Super weird.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
How do those things do with hardwood to carpet transitions and also with navigating around a dining room table with 6 chairs tucked under it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

armorer posted:

How do those things do with hardwood to carpet transitions and also with navigating around a dining room table with 6 chairs tucked under it?

Hardwood/carpet transition works really well, the mop pad physically moves to the top of the robot before transitioning from hard to soft surfaces. Navigating the dining room table? Eh, it tries? But we don't really use our dining room, so, getting the larger portions for dust/pet hair is good enough to make a overall visual improvement.

It's absolutely not a replacement for our vacuum, handheld vacuum and mop, but it is a massive upgrade as far as having our house constantly cleaned.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mine does it well. Every now and then I’ll put the chairs on top of the table so it can get all under the table, but it doesn’t get stuck or anything on mine. I’d say my i8+ gets stuck maybe once every 25 jobs, usually on a shoelace or nerf dart from the kids. My m6 mop gets stuck somewhere like 80% of my jobs. Usually on a hard wood to tile transition.

We rarely ever hand vacuum, but we will mop every so often.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

armorer posted:

My Roborock S7+ does pretty navigating around the table and 6 chairs:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mine does it well. Every now and then I’ll put the chairs on top of the table so it can get all under the table, but it doesn’t get stuck or anything on mine. I’d say my i8+ gets stuck maybe once every 25 jobs, usually on a shoelace or nerf dart from the kids. My m6 mop gets stuck somewhere like 80% of my jobs. Usually on a hard wood to tile transition.

We rarely ever hand vacuum, but we will mop every so often.

Same. I wash the wood floors regularly (toddler in the house), but we rarely vacuum anymore. We've got a Shark with the auto empty bin. We like it a lot more than our Roomba i7+.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We have a dog who sheds a lot, and our downstairs is hardwood.

A robot vacuum changed our life, and the auto-empty tower thing is magical.

We got the Roomba s9+ vacuum and the m6 mop as a bundle.

We tried it on the upstairs a few times, didn't do such a great job on the carpets. Not sure if running it more frequently would help, but we gave up because it would never make the whole upstairs without needing to empty the bin, and we only have the 1 tower downstairs. Maybe if we bought a 2nd tower it would be worth trying. But based on how the vacuum does on low pile rugs/mats, I'm not confident that it's worth it... often it would just end up pushing the dog hair around instead of picking it up.

We don't run the mop as often as we should, but it runs more often than we used to actually mop so it's an upgrade.

armorer posted:

Ours does great over thresholds. It can even make it over the threshold to the fireplace hearth, which is like a 1" tall stone/marble/whatever slab surrounded by shoe molding. I mean, we don't want it to because it doesn't do it very well and takes forever, but it can if it tries.

Chairs are another story. We move the chairs out to give it space to work. It can theoretically make it between the legs, but just barely. Mainly, it can't get between chairs if they're too close, or between a chair/leg, so you really need to move the chairs to effectively clean anyhow. If we forget, it will eventually give up if it can't find a way in. Not sure it's got itself stuck under the table yet, so that's a plus. If it can get in, it can usually find its way out.

Do be mindful of doors, though... since they typically find their way around by bumping in to poo poo, sometimes it will knock the door to the half bath too hard and the door will bounce away from the wall. This can sometimes give it just enough space to get to the other side of the door and push it closed, which locks it in the bathroom. I think we ended up changing the program to do the bathroom last just so if it did get stuck, it had already finished everything.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 6, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DaveSauce posted:

Do be mindful of doors, though... since they typically find their way around by bumping in to poo poo, sometimes it will knock the door to the half bath too hard and the door will bounce away from the wall. This can sometimes give it just enough space to get to the other side of the door and push it closed, which locks it in the bathroom. I think we ended up changing the program to do the bathroom last just so if it did get stuck, it had already finished everything.

Magnetic door stops help a lot with this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

We have a dog who sheds a lot, and our downstairs is hardwood.

A robot vacuum changed our life, and the auto-empty tower thing is magical.

We got the Roomba s9+ vacuum and the m6 mop as a bundle.

We have a couple of dogs, one of which is somewhat fluffy and sheds a lot (like a longhair border collie). I always worry the brush will jam up on longer fur, how do you find it for that?

Unrelated to robo vacuum my car had its catalytic converter stolen from our driveway a few days ago and I’d like to get a combo flood light camera and the euphy one looks good: https://us.eufy.com/collections/smart-floodlight

Not too jazzed about their recent security issues but it would be outdoors just in the driveway so not that big of a deal. I would go homekit only connect for notifications and cloud storage.

Any other options I should look at? Also I know it won’t necessarily prevent cat converter theft but just added sscurity and having the floodlight might scare away folks..

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keep in mind that (at least on my Eufy indoor cam) if you add it to HomeKit, you lose a lot of the cooler features like higher resolution and the AI stuff (person tracking and crying notifications, in my case). Might want to double-check you don't lose that with whatever model you are looking at.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Keep in mind that (at least on my Eufy indoor cam) if you add it to HomeKit, you lose a lot of the cooler features like higher resolution and the AI stuff (person tracking and crying notifications, in my case). Might want to double-check you don't lose that with whatever model you are looking at.

Good point, that motion tracking thing is kinda nifty and I guess it follows motion with the camera, which is cool.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

priznat posted:

We have a couple of dogs, one of which is somewhat fluffy and sheds a lot (like a longhair border collie). I always worry the brush will jam up on longer fur, how do you find it for that?

We have a corgi, so while his fuzz is abundant it's not super long. Never had any issues with any true jams anywhere along the line.

My wife has long curly hair though and that occasionally gets wrapped around the moving parts. But honestly that's no different from any other vacuum. It's never jammed anything hard, it just gets wrapped around and you have to clean it up periodically.

The Roomba at least is pretty easy to maintain. The brushes/rollers come apart super easy and cleaning them is simple. Not sure how that compares to other robot vacuums, but our upright is a Dyson and it's much harder to clean wrapped up hair off the brushes.

Only issue is the main "brushes" on ours are thin molded rubber flap kinda things, rather than stiff nylon bristles. So if hair does get wrapped around, it can get pulled tight and slice through the flaps. But so far this hasn't really resulted in them falling apart quicker, and really the stiff nylon bristles on our Dyson tend to really grab on to hair, so honestly the Roomba brushes are easier to clean off in that respect. That said, Roomba considers them a wear item anyhow, so you're expected to replace them periodically.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, my i8+ is super easy to clean. In 2 years, I've replaced the rollers on one of mine... once? I usually use a can of air to blow out the filters a couple times before I replace them, and the side brushes, I don't know if I've ever replaced one. I typically just pick up a pack of iRobot replacement parts over Prime Day or Black Friday when they're dirt cheap. You'll go through filters the quickest, but I probably go through maybe 3 a year. I've got 4 girls and a black lab that sheds everywhere, so I use the poo poo out of mine. As DaveSauce mentioned, you'll get hair wrapped around the rollers every few times it runs, but it's super easy to take them out, slide a pocket knife or scissors under the hair and take it out.

On my upstairs one (mostly carpet), I do have to run it every day or two, or else it ends up just pushing the dog hair into piles.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It seems that the robovacs that are more "pet friendly" have those rubber rollers instead of bristles, but it's good to know that even those can get wrapped with hair and then the added problem of potentially cutting those flaps on a strong hair.

I'd like to get a real basic model to try it out that is relatively pet friendly, perhaps something from eufy as they seem the cheapest while still being a decent brand.

Or maybe costco and return it if it doesn't work out.