Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

also, you are all welcome thread, for the deals that just broke clearly as a result of my efforts to generate a stimulating topic of off-season discussion

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s a ridiculous AAV for a 39 year old, even if it’s Verlander.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
RIP to JV’s arm

Hopefully now we can move on to signing Contreras and either bringing Uncle Mike back or finding a replacement.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Kate Upton in a Mets hat.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

bawfuls posted:

I disagree, because of how these different achievements have changed over time.

60+ home runs has always been hard, in all eras of the game. Something about the way the metagame of baseball has evolved has maintained that.

Innings totals meanwhile have consistently declined over the course of baseball's history. Clearly there is something evolving in the metagame which drives this. To argue otherwise is to argue that plumbers from the 19th century who threw 600+ IP were the greatest pitchers of all time and I think we can all understand why that's a nonsensical position.

The change in workload must be related to a change in the nature of the work, not in the innate durability of the pitcher. The most obvious explanation is that guys have to throw max effort or close to it on essentially every pitch now, while their predecessors did not.

Of course the guys throwing 600 innings were not the best.

My point was in this argument you can't just assume that Ohtani would have little to no dropoff by pitching 240 innings back then while also saying Judge would just hit exactly what he did. If Ohtani is going to be able to do that because the competition is lower then Judge is probably going to do something approaching early 2000s Barry Bonds.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

davecrazy posted:

The real get for Mets fans

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
So the Mets are paying like $90MM for 2 pitchers that are 39 and 40?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

The change in workload must be related to a change in the nature of the work, not in the innate durability of the pitcher. The most obvious explanation is that guys have to throw max effort or close to it on essentially every pitch now, while their predecessors did not.

IIRC there was a sportscience on this at some point. The overhand throwing motion is something that the body is generally not naturally mechanically designed for, despite it being more effective, and so as pitch speeds get higher more strain is put on the body. There's also just a natural genetic limit that the body can withstand before breaking (for some more gruesome examples there's been a few times where a pitcher just straight up broke his arm from the force of throwing the ball). So I think it's less that more pitchers are throwing max effort all the time and more that max effort continues to climb closer to the boy's natural breaking point, meaning more strain is put on everything.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1599821364818386944

How much money is Rogers actually spending this year??? The Jays are only like 25-30 million from the tax threshold and they've never crossed it.

So go get Judge

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Schilling is 100% NOT a bigger hole than Bonds, Arod, Manny and Clemens. Come on.

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I’m gonna say the omission of the guy with the most MVPs ever and the guy with the most Cy Young’s ever are more egregious than the omission of the nazi with the ketchup sock.

I was segregating Schilling as a "kept out for being an rear end in a top hat" as opposed to "kept out for PEDs" obviously Clemens and Bonds are bigger players

Also not surprised Crane wouldn't pay that much for Verlander

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

I disagree, because of how these different achievements have changed over time.

60+ home runs has always been hard, in all eras of the game. Something about the way the metagame of baseball has evolved has maintained that.

Innings totals meanwhile have consistently declined over the course of baseball's history. Clearly there is something evolving in the metagame which drives this. To argue otherwise is to argue that plumbers from the 19th century who threw 600+ IP were the greatest pitchers of all time and I think we can all understand why that's a nonsensical position.

it was essentially known a month ago, we've just been waiting for him to get around to the physical to make it official

If you assume Ohtani would pitch more innings if he went back to that era than you'd also have to assume Judge would hit more home runs off pitchers of that era.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

Even as someone who just did this with "team dynasties", comparing baseball players/seasons across eras is essentially impossible and/or pointless.

doing it at a team level is far more possible though, doing it at an individual level is just isnane

Nodoze posted:

Of course the guys throwing 600 innings were not the best.

My point was in this argument you can't just assume that Ohtani would have little to no dropoff by pitching 240 innings back then while also saying Judge would just hit exactly what he did. If Ohtani is going to be able to do that because the competition is lower then Judge is probably going to do something approaching early 2000s Barry Bonds.

Popete posted:

If you assume Ohtani would pitch more innings if he went back to that era than you'd also have to assume Judge would hit more home runs off pitchers of that era.
I'm more interested in "what would the mid-60's version of Ohtani's season looks like and how would people of the time have received it in comparison to a similar Judge season?"

You can make up a player to stand in for Ohtani if that helps the thought exercise more than "transporting" him back.
Ohtani's pitching this year was 6.2 bWAR, with a 172 ERA+ in only 166 IP.
Bob Gibson's '64 season was 6.0 bWAR and his '65 was 6.3 bWAR. He threw ~295IP each of those years with a 126 ERA+.
Or Tom Seaver in 1970: 5.8 bWAR, 290 IP, 143 ERA+, 7th place CYA finish.
Or Gary Peters in 1963: 6.0 bWAR, 243 IP, 150 ERA+, 8th place MVP finish

So pretend it's a pitching season that is worth similar by bWAR, but looks more like 6-WAR seasons did back then: higher IP volume, worse ERA+. Combine it with his ~3.5 WAR offensive production, which looks similar across eras.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 5, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

My gut feeling is Rodon to Dodgers

Well the Yankees are small time compared to the Dodgers so if there is a bidding war for him I’m sure the Dodgers would win.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I'm more interested in "what would the mid-60's version of Ohtani's season looks like and how would people of the time received it in comparison to a similar Judge season?"

You can make up a player to stand in for Ohtani if that helps the thought exercise more than "transporting" him back. Ohtani's pitching this year was 6.2 bWAR. Bob Gibson's '64 season was 6.0 bWAR and his '65 was 6.3 bWAR. He threw ~295IP each of those years with a 126 ERA+. Or Tom Seaver in 1970: 5.8 bWAR, 290IP, 143 ERA+, 7th place CYA finish.

So pretend it's a pitching season that is worth similar by bWAR, but looks more like 6-WAR seasons did back then: higher IP volume, worse ERA+. Combine it with his ~3.5 WAR offensive production, which looks similar across eras.

Koufax won an MVP but it took him putting up a 10.7 fWAR and having an all time great pitching season. I think that's probably what it would have taken TBH. He finished 2nd in 66 with another 10+ WAR year, which sadly was the last year he ever pitched :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1599823684104904706

So you think he goes into the hall as a Met

That WHIP is ungodly

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Unless he either completely falls apart or throws three more Cy seasons for the Mets, I still stay he’s a blank hat guy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think he's a blank hat guy but I still think if he were to choose one it would be the Tigers, he played a long time there.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Boooo should have gone to the Jays

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Fun fact, Hector Gomez actually broke the Verlander news last night. It was based on an Instagram screenshot so I thought it was too goofy to post, but it was 100% legit lol

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1599646549663191042

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Well the Yankees are small time compared to the Dodgers so if there is a bidding war for him I’m sure the Dodgers would win.

It's going to be interesting to see if the Dodgers decide to stay under the CBT this year to reset the penalty. If so they have about $40-50m to spend depending on how arbitration shakes out. Also, if Bauer's suspension somehow gets reduced on appeal that would throw a wrench into things.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Popete posted:

I think he's a blank hat guy but I still think if he were to choose one it would be the Tigers, he played a long time there.

Debut team definitely has the advantage in that kind of situation.

Every time it comes up for JV and people act like having him go in as an Astro is a done deal I’m kinda baffled. Yes, the numbers show he had an absolute stellar run here. But he also 1) came in at the last minute in 2017 (a season now marred by asterisks even if he didn’t have a hand in it), 2) only pitched 3 full seasons here, and 3) threw one game in 2020 and then missed all of 2021.

Compare that to ~11.5 seasons in Detroit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1599828449484427264

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1599819633422655489

lol welp mcmagic was right Yankees are a small market team now.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Mariners are 2-3 moves away from having a really good off-season. Still need 2 more corner OF and probably a decent starter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Koufax won an MVP but it took him putting up a 10.7 fWAR and having an all time great pitching season. I think that's probably what it would have taken TBH. He finished 2nd in 66 with another 10+ WAR year, which sadly was the last year he ever pitched :(
That's what it took to win an MVP as a pitcher without adding any value offensively. This has always been rare and difficult.

The interesting wrinkle about Ohtani is how the addition of his hitting compliments this.

IcePhoenix posted:

IIRC there was a sportscience on this at some point. The overhand throwing motion is something that the body is generally not naturally mechanically designed for, despite it being more effective, and so as pitch speeds get higher more strain is put on the body. There's also just a natural genetic limit that the body can withstand before breaking (for some more gruesome examples there's been a few times where a pitcher just straight up broke his arm from the force of throwing the ball). So I think it's less that more pitchers are throwing max effort all the time and more that max effort continues to climb closer to the boy's natural breaking point, meaning more strain is put on everything.
I guess this is just how you want to define "max effort." I presume it to mean "closest to the individual body's limit" but maybe modern pitchers are systematically more capable of reaching that limit through kinetic chain analysis or whatever than older generations were. But I kind of doubt that because pitching deliveries are still extremely varied and many even elite pitchers today still have odd motions they developed just because "that's what worked for me when I was coming up" which is the same process that was happening 60+ years ago.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 5, 2022

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Sydin posted:

lol welp mcmagic was right Yankees are a small market team now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Reminder that thanks to Wade Boggs (RIP) and the Rays, players no longer have the final say in their HoF plaque cap.

Verlander seems like a black cap guy to me. He had a long run in Detroit but so much significant success after that. Detroit wouldn't surprise me at this point, but if he does something like win another Cy Young or ring in Queens then I'd have to think blank-cap becomes the prohibitive favorite.

Greinke was always the pitcher of that generation's Big-4 that I presumed would be the blank-cap guy, but Verlander's late career is pushing him that direction too. Scherzer will surely be Washington, and Clayton Kershaw, well making sure that cap says LA has been a franchise priority for awhile now.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 5, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

McGriff needs to go in wearing the Emanski cap it's loving iconic.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

When I think of Justin Verlander, I think of those starts in Detroit where he would sit 90-95, then in like the 7th inning he'd dial it up to 99 to get out of a jam, and then he'd pitch the 8th and 9th too because gently caress you, that's why

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i think zack greinke should be allowed to go in wearing the hat of his favorite brand of lawnmower

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*fishing pole

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it's very cool and considerate of the Cubbies and Boegarts to delay the news that he's coming to Wrigleyville so this offseasons biggest deal gets the appropriate attention

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rodon probably wants 6/200 and the way teams are spending, he might just get it

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

davecrazy posted:

this generation's anna benson

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Rodon probably wants 6/200 and the way teams are spending, he might just get it

He's worth it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Vertical Lime posted:

this generation's anna benson

This is rude to both Kate Upton and Justin Verlander.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1599850410553982976

Gentlemen, cool down the stove please

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1599850626975834112

Lmao that's gonna be fun in his years 35-40.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 5, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Philly not messing around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Less dollars, more years than I expected.

Glad we can end the Trea Turner watches elsewhere though.