Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

what kind of save game compatibility does the new patch have? Will we get the map/resources changes, or do we need to start a new game?

Paradox posted:

As far as we know there shouldn't be any compatibility issues between old saves, with emphasis on shouldn't. This is nothing we can guarantee, so if you want to be safe you can roll back to 1.0.6 and finish off any ongoing saves before updating.

* A known issue with loading 1.0.6 save games into 1.1 is that the Bureaucracy tech will be "forgotten" and has to be re-researched. If you don't want to do this in-game, you can fix it by running your game with the debug console enabled in the launcher, loading up your save game, opening the console, and typing 'research tech_bureaucracy'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

what kind of save game compatibility does the new patch have? Will we get the map/resources changes, or do we need to start a new game?

Usually Pdox games store map data like that in the save, and I would be very surprised if V3 was different in that regard.

But if it's an event that causes oil/rubber to appear in a state then that will probably go through fine.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 5, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Are coal and oil plants supposed to be ENORMOUS money losers? Even with even prices on coal and pretty elevated electrcity prices (+40%) the switch from the base tech to coal is an enormous net negative.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I used the modlist a goon posted and electricity was profitable throughout.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are coal and oil plants supposed to be ENORMOUS money losers? Even with even prices on coal and pretty elevated electrcity prices (+40%) the switch from the base tech to coal is an enormous net negative.

I've had some success going to coal plants once the rest of your economy is fairly oiled up and coal demand is cratered, but i've never made oil plants work if you're using oil for basically anything else

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I made the jump to oil because my electric demands was shooting up, but that's only because I was solidly exploiting the US and Brunei oil fields to their fullest extent and only using oil for pumping production in key markets (engines!) instead of any automation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How's 1.1 feeling so far? I've put the game on standby until they fixed a lot of the AI/Economic problems but there's some good sounding changes, specially with wages. It sounds like you won't have the problem of mass unemployment coupled with unsustainable wage increases anymore?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

How's 1.1 feeling so far? I've put the game on standby until they fixed a lot of the AI/Economic problems but there's some good sounding changes, specially with wages. It sounds like you won't have the problem of mass unemployment coupled with unsustainable wage increases anymore?
I'm really curious about this as well!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's been out for five hours, people are only half done with their first test campaigns

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

it's been out for five hours, people are only half done with their first test campaigns
ok? I wasnt demanding an immediate answer and it doesnt mean I'm not curious.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I did like half an hour as the frca, no idea about the broader changes to building ai but I noticed that they made it actually tricky to do the corn laws trick to keep central America together by having the devout start out pissed off at you and throwing them into a party with the landowners which is nice.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

ok? I wasnt demanding an immediate answer and it doesnt mean I'm not curious.

it's just a joke about people playing vicky like a job, it's not owning you

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

it's just a joke about people playing vicky like a job, it's not owning you
Ah poo poo, sorry, I'm too used to people being snippy. I get it now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Wait for 1.1.1, there's a bug where capitalists and bureaucrats have no political power in common situations

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Gort posted:

Wait for 1.1.1, there's a bug where capitalists and bureaucrats have no political power in common situations

:sickos:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gort posted:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That explains why the intellectuals immediately became marginalized. whoops lol

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Imagine a landlord stamping on a human face, until they hotfix it

Edit: This mod says it fixes it. I'll try it out.

Edit2: Haha, yeah, my Russian industrialists in 1852 had 1.6% clout. A new game with the mod and they've got 7.2% - unfortunately the mod only fixes it in a new game, not in a save.

Gort fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 5, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've always had to subsidize my power plants, I'm not really sure why because yeah as you mention electricity demand can be quite high and they'll still be losing money. My guess is that maybe the base price for electricity just gives it extremely narrow profit margins under ideal conditions, so even moderately high wages or slightly more expensive input goods can end up covering the difference.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I haven't played since launch, but it seems like the AI is a lot more willing to launch revolutions now. I had to defeat three consecutive revolutions launched by the landowners in the three years it took me to pass parliamentary republic.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've always had to subsidize my power plants, I'm not really sure why because yeah as you mention electricity demand can be quite high and they'll still be losing money. My guess is that maybe the base price for electricity just gives it extremely narrow profit margins under ideal conditions, so even moderately high wages or slightly more expensive input goods can end up covering the difference.

My base tech power plants are at least profitable (if not wildly so) with the ~+40% prices I have. Haven't had to subsidize them.

They do take an HUGE amount of pops to operate them though. Like 1/6 of the entire working population is dedicated to their operation as the Swiss.

Edit: I am in the French market though and the biggest supplier of electricity in the world though, so that could be on me there. I did have to build it out like that to get enough supply going so my industries can actually buy enough for their needs though. France is soaking up a lot of the damand.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2022

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Every Swiss person is employed running on a giant mouse wheel in order to keep the lights on at the Eiffel Tower.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

It chugs a little more than 1.06, but still miles better than release. Doing a Britain run just to see how things are different, feels pretty similar so far. I like the new gov't legitimacy mechanics, haven't gotten to a point yet where the re-jiggered oil distribution matters, but I imagine that will be nice (I rushed conquering Texas/California/Zulia out of habit, so it shouldn't be an issue either way).

The removal of some event spam is noticeable, hasn't crashed yet either (a common occurrence for me in the previous patch).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

My base tech power plants are at least profitable (if not wildly so) with the ~+40% prices I have. Haven't had to subsidize them.

They do take an HUGE amount of pops to operate them though. Like 1/6 of the entire working population is dedicated to their operation as the Swiss.

Edit: I am in the French market though and the biggest supplier of electricity in the world though, so that could be on me there. I did have to build it out like that to get enough supply going so my industries can actually buy enough for their needs though. France is soaking up a lot of the damand.

Yeah it's possible that wages are the bigger issue for me than input costs, I've also typically had to build absolutely massive power plant complexes just to meet my own domestic needs, and with so much labour demand it ends up driving wages way up. I haven't played yet in 1.1, I'm curious if the changes to how wages are determined might fix that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

karmicknight posted:

Every Swiss person is employed running on a giant mouse wheel in order to keep the lights on at the Eiffel Tower.

lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

the pro-level play is to conquer dalmatia and build all of your powerplants there

the province modifiers in this game are so weird and haphazard sometimes

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

the pro-level play is to conquer dalmatia and build all of your powerplants there

the province modifiers in this game are so weird and haphazard sometimes

Shout out to Sinai, which has a modifier to improve dye plantation throughout even though it can't build dye plantations

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Shout out to Sinai, which has a modifier to improve dye plantation throughout even though it can't build dye plantations

Sinai no longer has that in the new patch (Florida's useless sulfur throughput bonus also got removed. Why they couldn't have just added dyes/sulfur to those provinces is beyond me...)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Agean90 posted:

Shoutout to South Manchuria, the landlocked state with a bonus to port throughput

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ithle01 posted:

The funny thing is that the investment pool itself is blind and can be spent on anything that your laws allow so you should usually skip right to agrarianism at the start just to siphon wealth off of the landowners and fund your infrastructure. There's almost no pushback on the law change too which makes it one of the easier ones to switch. Then when you do eventually go over to interventionism or laissez-faire you'll have a pile of wealth built up to spend on industry ready to go.

edit: this is of course assuming that 'abolish serfdom' isn't in the cards for some time.

When I swapped systems, it wiped out my investment pool. Is it not meant to do that?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I'm a little bummed that I have to wait for a hotfix before starting up a new game, but this post lightened my mood.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/Liv_Agar/status/1599539866655948800

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Sinai no longer has that in the new patch (Florida's useless sulfur throughput bonus also got removed. Why they couldn't have just added dyes/sulfur to those provinces is beyond me...)

they’d have to admit they forgot about it lol

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
just had to retire santa ana because he hosed benito juarez's wife and gave everyone involved syphilis, GOTY.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
did they fix the thing where you could build as many panama or suez canals as you want as long as they were all in parallel and finished on the same day, to get absurd amounts of prestige?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

spectralent posted:

When I swapped systems, it wiped out my investment pool. Is it not meant to do that?

Okay, well that's not how I remember it when I swapped once or twice but that was a few games ago, but I'll get rid of my post because it doesn't work.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

it keeps happening

https://twitter.com/Ancommiey/status/1599211229339594752

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

I just hope this game doesn't make oppressive psychotic hellstates into The Meta like Stellaris did. I still like to make a nice place in that game, even though I know I'm hobbling myself by not committing Maximum Murder.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TwoQuestions posted:

I just hope this game doesn't make oppressive psychotic hellstates into The Meta like Stellaris did. I still like to make a nice place in that game, even though I know I'm hobbling myself by not committing Maximum Murder.

I mean my public school and public healthcare perfectly safe workplace utopia has the highest wages and SoL on the entire planet, no, discrimination, fully multicultural, full suffrage and a nice ruling coalition of parties, no hellstate required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TwoQuestions posted:

I presume it might be easier to raise SoL for certain pops by being a hellstate, but the average metric would tank.