Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

post your status, spend and favorite airports or fbos and be judged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

The avg person / ex mileage runner isn’t putting 200k on cards to get exp.

Not to mention Hyatt status

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Not to mention Hyatt status

Lol I didn’t realize jobs even existed post-pandemic that had you in a hotel for literally half the year

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

movax posted:

Entirely possible but in my semi-buzzed (leaving holiday party) / exhausted state, any light was too much for me. Seat sucked too -- lesson learned, Qantas next time.

On the bright side, checking in... got my GUC cleared! Saw 1 blocked out D1 seat in 4D, and there was a delay in printing my boarding pass and behold, it was mine. Looking forward to real sleep now!

Business Travel: the quest for that GUC GUC 3000

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Schiavona posted:

Lol I didn’t realize jobs even existed post-pandemic that had you in a hotel for literally half the year

Unless I'm misreading this, that is primarily credit card spend. No way you have that few base points with 170 nights. Credit card spend shows up as qualifying nights but not base points. See also my status, which is a mix of credit card and stays, and at government per diem no less, so I get poo poo points for stays:

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Yeah, similarly, flying GSA city pair rates on the new AA loyalty points system has given me only two thirds of the way to lowly Gold (20.8K/30K points) on 50 AA segments to date this year.

Not that any of the airline loyalty programs are really great anymore for the small-home-airport, lots of short trips with a layover both ways segment warrior lifestyle. I definitely understand why they switched to spend requirements, but it sure doesn’t help me out. :/ At least it looks like I'll just barely maintain Silver on DL this year, and my Hilton Diamond is easy enough to maintain on nights alone.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 4, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Yeah, similarly, flying GSA city pair rates on the new AA loyalty points system has given me only two thirds of the way to lowly Gold (20.8K/30K points) on 50 AA segments to date this year.

Not that any of the airline loyalty programs are really great anymore for the small-home-airport, lots of short trips with a layover both ways segment warrior lifestyle. I definitely understand why they switched to spend requirements, but it sure doesn’t help me out. :/ At least it looks like I'll just barely maintain Silver on DL this year, and my Hilton Diamond is easy enough to maintain on nights alone.

If you're stuck on GSA fares you have a hard time getting anything without ridiculous travel rates.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol loving amateur hour, I forgot to check my ESTA status and the fucker has expired. Sitting at the airport :f5:ing hoping it comes through for my flight.

e: made it but had to rebook onto a later flight to the wrong city. FML

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 5, 2022

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Y’all what the gently caress is happening in nyc this week and why are all the hotel prices $800

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

taco show posted:

Y’all what the gently caress is happening in nyc this week and why are all the hotel prices $800

Christmas in New York in general. I was going to head down with family and do a weekend, but the prices were ridiculous

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
I saw the Hyatt Place going for like $1000/night, good lord

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I found out today that the critical vendor I was planning on visiting next week had in fact booked tickets to see me.

Good: done flying for the year! Gave Ed about $44K. Hopefully he can use it to pay the pilots.
Bad: I would have probably died from the shame of loving that up had it happened.
Good: Avoided trip was to Erie, PA. Almost virtual certainty of snow delay / fuckery.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Schiavona posted:

Christmas in New York in general. I was going to head down with family and do a weekend, but the prices were ridiculous

I found availability in Los Angeles using my IHG free night on literally Christmas weekend. It was cool and good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

movax posted:

Good: Avoided trip was to Erie, PA. Almost virtual certainty of snow delay / fuckery.

There's a pretty decent BBQ place there and also a place with crazy hot dogs. That's about it for good things about Erie.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The good thing with Erie is it’s relatively easy to leave. The bad thing is that the highway takes you to Ohio or western NY

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

lol ofc

REAL ID enforcement is delayed again to 2025 - https://www.npr.org/2022/12/05/1140778386/real-id-enforcement-delayed-2025-immigration-privacy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Waiting for RealID, by Samuel Beckett

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

how many years has it been again?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

how many years has it been again?

2008 ir 2009 lol

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If they delay it till 2028, I won’t have to renew my license early to get the star.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The good thing with Erie is it’s relatively easy to leave. The bad thing is that the highway takes you to Ohio or western NY

Keep talking smack and your options will be down to just Ohio :toughguy:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not really looking forward to REAL ID enforcement to be honest. Just going to cause a lot of angst.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Keep talking smack and your options will be down to just Ohio :toughguy:

Look I mean if you give me a choice between Ohio, Erie, and WNY I'm taking WNY 150 times out of 100 but it's not like I'm picking Bordeaux

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

smackfu posted:

Not really looking forward to REAL ID enforcement to be honest. Just going to cause a lot of angst.

I suspect it will increase my appreciation for Pre-check even more.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

smackfu posted:

It just feels like they’re pushing it until everyone’s old license expires.

My state refused to redesign our cards until 2020, and we get 6 year expirations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

REAL ID is incredible in how it makes even normal driver's license tasks a giant pain. To change my address required basically a full renewal process, including bringing two forms of proof of residence and a 6-8 week waiting period for the new card to arrive.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

I'm just imagining what that first day is going to be like. Presumably they're collecting data on what percentage of people going through security have REAL ID?

Right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I'm just imagining what that first day is going to be like. Presumably they're collecting data on what percentage of people going through security have REAL ID?

Right?

Not sure that's a complete picture. I go through using my non-real ID license. When this finally goes into effect I'll just hand them my passport card instead. I don't think I'm the only one.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

There's a pretty decent BBQ place there and also a place with crazy hot dogs. That's about it for good things about Erie.

What are the names of these places, for future reference? I'm sure I'll be there in Jan or Feb next year...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

It just feels like they’re pushing it until everyone’s old license expires.

Keep in mind you can still opt in to a non-REAL ID if you renew today. And I expect people will just do that if they are missing docs when they go to renew.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a realid a decade ago when they started doing enhanced licenses. Then I moved to a state that didn't have real id yet, and I haven't upgraded. I'm not sure it's possible to get an appointment until after 2025 at this point. I have my nexus card, that should work.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

movax posted:

What are the names of these places, for future reference? I'm sure I'll be there in Jan or Feb next year...

https://g.co/kgs/ZEssh5
https://g.co/kgs/fAAvA5

smackfu posted:

Keep in mind you can still opt in to a non-REAL ID if you renew today. And I expect people will just do that if they are missing docs when they go to renew.

i just renewed and I brought my documents. The person at the counter didn't even ask if I wanted a real id and just processed the regular one. By the time I realized what was happening they refused to change it and said I'd have to come back another day with another appointment and pay again. It was very clear they just didn't want to deal with the amount of effort it takes and make it as difficult as possible.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 6, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

eddiewalker posted:

If they delay it till 2028, I won’t have to renew my license early to get the star.

I had to renew my license and I was eligible for the online option, which is not compliant. So I had to choose between hell on Elston Ave or getting it mailed, I got it mailed without REAL. Guess I’m never getting REAL

e: lol I thought this was the Chicago thread so I included the street for you all, which will be of no relevance to you, enjoy

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 7, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This extension makes it almost exactly 20 years from the time it was signed into law to the time it takes effect. It will likely never be fully enforced.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
passport still works if you are really determined to be contrary i guess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I use my TWIC for maximum flex

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

passport still works if you are really determined to be contrary i guess.

Fun fact, all Canadian driver's licenses are real ID compliant and can be used to get into federal facilities the same way

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Motronic posted:

Not sure that's a complete picture. I go through using my non-real ID license. When this finally goes into effect I'll just hand them my passport card instead. I don't think I'm the only one.

I just use my Global Entry card for this, as far as I can tell there seems to be no other actual use for the thing. (I've never had to show it at customs.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My favorite thing is that you can use the card to enter the US from Canada but not vice versa which is super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

I just use my Global Entry card for this, as far as I can tell there seems to be no other actual use for the thing. (I've never had to show it at customs.)

You can use this for ground crossings into the US and expedited security at Canadian airports.