Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is it possible to make a new character without having to do the prologue/tutorial? I want to try out the Zealot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, it asks you.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Right on. Loving this game so far, I'm only level 6, but it's bringing back positive memories of Payday 2 and Left 4 Dead. Loving the banter between various team members and the general over the top nature of the 40k universe.

One question can all classes use all the melee weapons? I want to get a sword for my big dumb Ogryn.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cease to Hope posted:

Momentum (toughness on multiple melee hit) is very nice on the Bull Butcher. Confident Strike (toughness on chained hit) is imo comparable and I've seen it on the slab shield, the club, and the shovel, as well as the Bull Butcher. (The club also gets both Momentum and Confident Strike according to Darklantern.) I know both of these work from experience.

I've also had good luck with Slaughterer (power on kill, on the butcher and Mk VI cleaver), although eyeballing it I feel like it may contribute less.

Some blessings I want to test at some point:
  • Thrust - +power based on charge time with heavies. How much does this contribute if you're spamming heavies as fast as you can?
  • Savage Sweep - +cleave timed buff on multi melee hit. Does this even contribute anything noticeable on hordes? I'm not sure I felt a real impact but I didn't have a chance to really A-B test.
  • Haymaker - chance to instakill human-sized on chained heavy hit. Seems tempting. Does it have an ICD? Does it have enough % chance to be meaningful?
  • "Ignore enemy mass" blessings like Unstoppable Force, Brutal Momentum, Perfect Strike, or Devastating Strike - Do these contribute anything? It feels like the ideal time is hitting an elite in a pile of dudes. It would be hard to test this since this is mainly an issue on 4 or 5. The crit-based ones seem especially unreliable. (Are they even useful on a single target?)
  • Brittleness, Rend, and "stacks of +X% damage" blessings like Thunderous and Skullcrusher - How much is this contributing? The shield seems to get a lot of these.

I've had a bull cleaver with a +cleave and I can tell you it makes a pretty big difference, anecdotally it took me from multiple swings to just one to clear a line out of a horde. And that was just with a +100% cleave bonus, I just recently dropped a transcendent Bull Clear with the +300% cleave I haven't gotten to try yet.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't think anyone actually knows what BY THE FIVE is supposed to be referring to. Five isn't a number associated in an obvious way with Chaos, for one.

making GBS threads on the Imperial Creed though, yes lol

Four chaos gods + the Emperor as warp god that he is.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Talorat posted:

Right on. Loving this game so far, I'm only level 6, but it's bringing back positive memories of Payday 2 and Left 4 Dead. Loving the banter between various team members and the general over the top nature of the 40k universe.

One question can all classes use all the melee weapons? I want to get a sword for my big dumb Ogryn.

No, different classes have different weapons, especially the ogryn. Enjoy your club, big-as-most-swords knife, shovel, or club + shield

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Female Loner Psyker's entire personality is pointing out that the Imperium is evil and that yes we are the bad guys, lol

Male Loner Psyker as well. I'm pretty sure the the gender doesn't change the script, though there are differences in the performance and the specific recordings of course.I think I prefer the male Loner voice though, hamming it up with that comical German accent is great, though the female version is good as well and sounds different enough to feel like a different character. The ones that really feels different to me is female vs male Agitator Zealot, the female VA for that really hams it up to a fantastic degree.

Zzulu posted:

I wish my character would scream this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvZiv5V4GeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbCjE4af1OE&t=45s

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

Four chaos gods + the Emperor as warp god that he is.

there are lots of groups of five things but nobody has ever called that "the five" and the same psyker personality expresses skepticism about the emperor and gods in general

Randarkman posted:

Male Loner Psyker as well. I'm pretty sure the the gender doesn't change the script, though there are differences in the performance and the specific recordings of course.I think I prefer the male Loner voice though, hamming it up with that comical German accent is great, though the female version is good as well and sounds different enough to feel like a different character. The ones that really feels different to me is female vs male Agitator Zealot, the female VA for that really hams it up to a fantastic degree.

there are some different lines (female loner doesn't argue with the subtitles, for one). the female voice is also less wacky, i feel like it creates a different impression

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Talorat posted:

Those things would be like toothpicks to the Ogryn

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the loner psyker doesn't argue with the subtitles, he's realized what he said sounds like "four shortened lifespans" referring to the party dying soon and is trying to clarify that he meant "foreshortened lifespans" as in the hordes of enemies against them dying soon

i don't know why people not getting the joke itches me as much as it does, but it does. it's like that simpsons thing where a ton of people claim that ralph saying "sleep? that's where i'm a viking" means he's good at sleeping

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 5, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I am going to say that in my opinion with the banter/voice acting the best combination really seems to be Agitator Zealot+Loner Psyker because they are basically diametrically opposed and seem to have a decent amount of dialogue that can trigger based off that. Also I like the performances.

The veterans mostly haven't made much of an impression on me, except one guy's like a northerner and has some buddy talk with the Ogryn.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The medicae station is voiced by the same guy as Lohner from Vermintide, right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Randarkman posted:

The veterans mostly haven't made much of an impression on me, except one guy's like a northerner and has some buddy talk with the Ogryn.

i only remember that one of them knows all the codes and the other two do not

Phlegmish posted:

he's one of a few voices, sienna is another

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cowcaster posted:

the loner psyker doesn't argue with the subtitles, he's realized what he said sounds like "four shortened lifespans" referring to the party dying soon and is trying to clarify that he meant "foreshortened lifespans" as in the hordes of enemies against them dying soon

What does he mean when he says "not to look at them"?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What does he mean when he says "not to look at them"?

he says "don't look at me, look at them" because he's trying to get everyone else in the squad to stop giving him the stinkeye for sounding like he just predicted all their deaths and focus on killing the heretics

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Please, take me with you... I'm so lonely.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

With the new update in Gamepass, I stopped crashing upon exiting the game! But I still can crash inside the game!
Progress?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
What are y'all doing with your extra weapons? Just selling them? Is it even worth it keeping them around until crafting is fully implemented?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

What are y'all doing with your extra weapons? Just selling them? Is it even worth it keeping them around until crafting is fully implemented?

I'm holding on to them because I get the impression (based on the disabled option) we'll be able to disassemble them into crafting components, like in Vermintide. We'll probably need those crafting components more than the raw money once it's available.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm just selling what I don't want to use because who knows when they're adding more of the missing crafting stuff.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cowcaster posted:

My biggest peeve with this is that the female loner psyker also has this line but doesnt do any of the arguing

Edmond Dantes posted:

You can sell grey ones but hold on to anything with a blessing (the big buff) because you will be able to transfer them to other items at some point in the distant future

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
You can sell items?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

wynott dunn posted:

You can sell items?

yeah you get some money when you get rid of an item

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

wynott dunn posted:

You can sell items?

Its called "Dismantle" or "Discard" (it may be bound to X?) and gives you money for doing it

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm also saving the best-statted gray I find for each weapon, but I am precious about stuff like that. You probably don't need to bother.

Estel
May 4, 2010
Or just sell them, there are not that many blessings that you should hoard them, you get crafting materials while playing and that "coming soon" on the crafting buttons could be next week or in 3-4 months.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's not like you're going to run out of inventory space

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

That seems like a dangerous statement to make with the technical state of this game.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

I wouldn't be that sure with Fatshark or that filling your inventory doesn't end in some kind of character corruption.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I found the most fatshark mechanic.

If you have a high stamina weapon and run dry you can swap to your low stamina weapon and regenerate to 100% in a much shorter time then it would take to regenerate on the high stamina weapon.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I’m playing the extra beta game pass version so jank comes with the territory

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was going to make a post complaining about the grim/tome mechanic somehow being more aggravating and tedious than in VT2, but instead I'll just share that I now roleplay an Ogryn who can't read and only sometimes stumbles upon books.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I found the most fatshark mechanic.

If you have a high stamina weapon and run dry you can swap to your low stamina weapon and regenerate to 100% in a much shorter time then it would take to regenerate on the high stamina weapon.

love 2 catch my breath by putting away my tiny knife and lugging around a giant bolter instead

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

he says "don't look at me, look at them" because he's trying to get everyone else in the squad to stop giving him the stinkeye for sounding like he just predicted all their deaths and focus on killing the heretics

it's been brought to my attention that he actually says "look at me, not them", but all that does is reverse what i said, he wants the squad to stop focusing on killing the heretics and pay attention to his clarification, which is kind of a moot point for two reasons, one the line will happily and frequently play regardless of whether or not the subtitles are even on in the first place, rendering that interpretation meaningless. and two, you can hear the specific emphasis the loner makes between "four shortened" and foreshortened when he's explaining himself.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 5, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Exodee posted:

Hah that's interesting, my Zealot Judge has pretty much the opposite opinion on all of these - she calls highborns scum that take and don't give and has a bunch of lines about how the Empire can't function without its workers. :ussr:

Now I'm wondering if all Judges are like that or if it's based on the background you chose, since I picked Seditionist. Kinda satisfied with my pick regardless.

All Judges are like that. The person you’re quoting used the Agitator voice set. Personality is entirely down to voice set.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

there are lots of groups of five things but nobody has ever called that "the five" and the same psyker personality expresses skepticism about the emperor and gods in general

there are some different lines (female loner doesn't argue with the subtitles, for one). the female voice is also less wacky, i feel like it creates a different impression

Powerful warp entities, gods, six of one, half a dozen of the other. They mention that the Emperor didn't want to be known as a god, but whether or not he IS one is kind of up for debate.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Internet Explorer posted:

I was going to make a post complaining about the grim/tome mechanic somehow being more aggravating and tedious than in VT2, but instead I'll just share that I now roleplay an Ogryn who can't read and only sometimes stumbles upon books.

I'm a pious Ogryn, only read scriptures.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

let me do that for you then: as annoying as the original version was at least they were static so once you knew where they were you could at least streamline getting them every time, them being random spawns meaning you have to comb every nook and cranny of the map to locate them plus only getting a minor bonus if you don't manage to collect all of them is waaaaay worse

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you, Cowcaster. Couldn't have said it better myself. :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I dont really like grims and tomes in this game, but I can't say they were good in VT either. The way they functioned with upgrading the loot box you got at the mission meant that unless you were rolling with a premade that agreed not to get them it was basically mandatory to pick all of them up every single run. In well coordinated groups I'm sure that's fine, but it kind of killed the idea of just casually playing when most of the team is barely hanging on and yet they're still screaming for books.

Especially when you are full :pubstove: mode it was fairly common for you to get a group that did not have the equipment or skill to get through a map cleanly, and then you'd still have people insisting that they chop 2/3rds of their healthbar off because what was the point of running the level if you got a bad loot box as a reward?