Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'll be really possed if the Cubs end up with the Swanson booby prize, dude can't hit and I'd rather just have Nico there.

Swanson feels like an Angels signing to me. Overpay a guy coming off a couple good years and he immediately reverts to his real talent level.

Then again if he costs half as much as Correa/Turner, that might be a bargain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is pushing the dudes rock level of the Phils too high

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

Eh, Dansby changed his swing around 2020 and has gotten consistently more pop since, yeah he's probably not cracking .800 OPS but he's a GG SS who'll give you 25+ dingers a year. Also Dansby/Nico up the middle may be the best SS/2B defensive combo in MLB.

I'd prefer Correa or Xander but I wouldn't hate a Dansby signing.

Dansby is 100% the boobie prize this offseason. I'm sure there's some path where the Cubs go all in on defense with someone non PCA blocking like Kiermaier in CF (His brother is the head groundskeeper at Wrigley), Swanson, and a fuckload of pitching but in a vacuum Swanson+the assorted detritus the Cubs have been signing as of late is waste of an offseason. Nico gives you GG level defense at short already, and I'll trade a little bit of pop for 20 million a year.

Hopefully the Bogaerts rumors are something more than trying to light a fire under Boston's rear end since once you extend Nico you have your SS ready to go when Bogaerts inevitably slides over to 2nd or 3rd in a couple years.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

I can only assume this has to do with some MLB.com/Statcast directive to lead with percentiles because they think it makes numbers more approachable for more fans or something.

which is weird because I'd assume even taking from the population of baseball fans most people were more comfortable with raw numbers than percentiles but maybe I'm underestimating the general population

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Couple of Ken Rosenthal blurbs I find interesting (since I'm an Astros guy)

1. According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Cubs, Cardinals, Padres, Guardians and Twins are interested in signing free agent catcher Christian Vázquez.
Rosenthal notes that the Astros also have interest in retaining Vázquez to split catching duties with fellow veteran Martín Maldonado. The 32-year-old backstop, who posted a .714 OPS in 119 games between the Red Sox and Astros last season, is seeking a three-year contract and appears to have plenty of potential suitors.

2. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros are eyeing free agent outfielder Andrew Benintendi.
Rosenthal adds that Houston is also looking at fellow free agent outfielders Michael Brantley and Michael Conforto. All three are coming off significant injuries. Benintendi suffered a season-ending fractured hamate bone in his right hand in early September with the Yankees. Brantley went down in late June with a season-ending right shoulder injury and Conforto hasn't played since the 2021 season after undergoing right shoulder surgery last April.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MrMidnight posted:

1. According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Cubs, Cardinals, Padres, Guardians and Twins are interested in signing free agent catcher Christian Vázquez.
Rosenthal notes that the Astros also have interest in retaining Vázquez to split catching duties with fellow veteran Martín Maldonado. The 32-year-old backstop, who posted a .714 OPS in 119 games between the Red Sox and Astros last season, is seeking a three-year contract and appears to have plenty of potential suitors.

2. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros are eyeing free agent outfielder Andrew Benintendi.
Rosenthal adds that Houston is also looking at fellow free agent outfielders Michael Brantley and Michael Conforto. All three are coming off significant injuries. Benintendi suffered a season-ending fractured hamate bone in his right hand in early September with the Yankees. Brantley went down in late June with a season-ending right shoulder injury and Conforto hasn't played since the 2021 season after undergoing right shoulder surgery last April.
I don't know why you would want either of those guys when there are superior players on the market still

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ridiculous that Trea’s speed hasn’t declined. Good for him for getting paid. NL East is going to be a bloodbath. Balanced schedules mean they can’t feast on the Nats, either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

Benintendi sucks and I hope the Astros sign him

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Benintendi sucks and I hope the Astros sign him

Yeah out of those 3 I really want Brantley. I bet Beni returns to the Yankees.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MrMidnight posted:

Vázquez is an odd one, he's not some phenomenal framer/defender or hitter, not sure why his market is so robust. Teams just not wanting to pony up dollars for Contreras or prospects for Murphy, I guess?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

Vázquez is an odd one, he's not some phenomenal framer/defender or hitter, not sure why his market is so robust. Teams just not wanting to pony up dollars for Contreras or prospects for Murphy, I guess?

The Astros want Contreras but to play LF where his bat is far less valuable. I wonder if that's happening with other teams as well

I can see not wanting to pony up for Murphy, he's going to cost a boatload

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

The Astros want Contreras but to play LF where his bat is far less valuable. I wonder if that's happening with other teams as well

Yeah I've seen a lot of scuttlebutt even before the offseason that a lot of teams view Contreras as more of a DH/1B/LF guy. Contreras likes to catch though and has been pretty vocal about it, I wonder if his market is held up or shrunk because he's looking for a commitment from whatever team he signs with that he will get to be the starting catcher.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Given the Astros’ love for bargain-hunting on talented players with injury problems, I was hoping for a 1:1 swap with deGrom, but I guess the Rangers said there was no bargain to be had there. I really hope the Mets don’t kill JV immediately.

All the other Astros rumors are pretty common-sense stuff. Don’t think they have a shot at bringing Vazquez back, especially if they’re still pursuing Contreras. Either signing is gonna require a major buy-in from certain parties about Maldy taking a back seat next year.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Intruder posted:

do not underestimate how much Fisher is intent on tanking the Athletics now and in the future (has no choice, is poorest billionaire owner)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Murphy is a cost controlled catcher with a 122 wRC+, if the A's don't get at least two top 100 prospects for him they should just be contracted

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Murphy hits well and is a phenomenal defensive catcher/framer, and still has three years of control. He should cost a veritable mountain of prospects to nab, but the A's have already tipped their hand that they're trading him to be cheap so the return will probably end up being lighter than you'd expect otherwise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Given the Astros’ love for bargain-hunting on talented players with injury problems, I was hoping for a 1:1 swap with deGrom, but I guess the Rangers said there was no bargain to be had there. I really hope the Mets don’t kill JV immediately.

All the other Astros rumors are pretty common-sense stuff. Don’t think they have a shot at bringing Vazquez back, especially if they’re still pursuing Contreras. Either signing is gonna require a major buy-in from certain parties about Maldy taking a back seat next year.

The Astros were never going to be in the market for any pitcher other than JV. Of all the teams about to lose an ace, the Astros are by far the team best positioned to recover and replace his spot internally.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fast cars loose anus posted:

which is weird because I'd assume even taking from the population of baseball fans most people were more comfortable with raw numbers than percentiles but maybe I'm underestimating the general population

I think you're right, part of why I discounted it is that it felt like he was trying too hard to seem smart.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Goddamn, Stott is so much fun

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1599881896141258753

Cool now sign all of them

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao we tried, but we're signing 3 utility infielders, a 38 year old pitching reclamation project, and tucker barnhart

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'll be really possed if the Cubs end up with the Swanson booby prize, dude can't hit and I'd rather just have Nico there.

I'd be fine with Swanson if they also grabbed someone like Josh Bell or Bellinger too. Or if they grabbed Rodon to be the ace of the staff.

But I think we all know it'll be Swanson because he's just enough money to give the impression they care but not enough where it cuts into the profits.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Not Swason, give me Xander.

Still very cross about Turner...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dansby Swanson you are a Los Angeles Angel of Anaheim

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popete posted:

Not Swason, give me Xander.

Still very cross about Turner...

There is a giant gap between Boegarts and Swanson heh.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs Youtube has a series called Breakdown where they go over specific moments in Cubs history in detail, interviewing those involved. They just released one about David Ross hitting his first homer off Mark Grace, when neither of them were actually Cubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKinAIsZAZw

"They said he was a good fastball hitter, so I threw him a bad fastball." :haw:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cubs Youtube has a series called Breakdown where they go over specific moments in Cubs history in detail, interviewing those involved. They just released one about David Ross hitting his first homer off Mark Grace, when neither of them were actually Cubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKinAIsZAZw

"They said he was a good fastball hitter, so I threw him a bad fastball." :haw:

The one they did with Montero is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2THAOo4x7A

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/m_sheldon/status/1599862882778611713

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Uh, isn't he going to prison?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

He's that guy at the party that everyone goes "Oh didn't think you would be here...uhh hi"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Uh, isn't he going to prison?

No he plead guilty to one count of making false statements to authorities as part of a plea deal to avoid prison time. I don't believe he's actually being charged for the illegal sports betting.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Trea Turner

V: :aaa:

mcmagic posted:

There is a giant gap between Boegarts and Swanson heh.

It's cool because Swanson can field the entire gap.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 6, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I don't think the Astros are well positioned to replace 175 IP of 220 ERA+ pitching internally. As promising as Hunter Brown is that's, uh, tough.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1599910703716265984?s=20&t=GF7JeZOVRyMeVntlLhT6QQ

Today I learned that there is a baseball player that is named Carlos Estevez that has existed for 6 full seasons and that the Angels signed him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah had no idea either, but I see he was a Rocky so that tracks.

Marlins/Rockies are like black holes for me, I never know anyone on their roster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

No he plead guilty to one count of making false statements to authorities as part of a plea deal to avoid prison time. I don't believe he's actually being charged for the illegal sports betting.
He actually rescinded that plea and is fighting it based on lack of council and translator present I think.

He wasn't the target of the investigation, but ended up confessing things to the FBI while they were investigating a gambling ring.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/friarfan17/status/1599919215779385344

I'm guessing Turner loved the idea of playing with Harper, playing for a FO who desperately wants to win, doesn't want to hit in Petco, wants a guaranteed job until he's in his 40s, wants a guaranteed leadoff spot, and on and on

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
How glad are the Mets that we'll all be playing fewer games against division opponents next year

This goes for any NL East team I guess

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Where would the Padres have even played Turner? With Manny at 3rd and whatever is going on with Tatis' suspension/injury at Short, with Kim having a fantastic year there in his place, and Croenworth having an all star season at 2B there doesn't really seem to be room for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Good Dog posted:

https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1599910703716265984?s=20&t=GF7JeZOVRyMeVntlLhT6QQ

Today I learned that there is a baseball player that is named Carlos Estevez that has existed for 6 full seasons and that the Angels signed him.

I hear he's a real hot shot!