Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

One section was an absolute pain because it checkpointed you before the shop and before you opened a bunch of chests with random items in and sometimes when you reloaded those chest would be full of ammo for the crappy weapons that were useless in the next fight.

This is very funny because even the original RE4 always had save points next to merchant.

How do you mess up something so basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I keep seeing people claim Glen Schofield created Dead Space but looking at the credits he's an executive producer for the first game and that's it? Am I crazy or am I looking at another Tommy Tallarico situation?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assume it was deliberate so you go back on your upgrade choices for a bit if you wanted to to but it's not like any were really game changers apart from the alt fire modes that you'll likely never have enough money for. Or buy some more ammo I guess, I appreciated that for the final boss lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I keep seeing people claim Glen Schofield created Dead Space but looking at the credits he's an executive producer for the first game and that's it? Am I crazy or am I looking at another Tommy Tallarico situation?

From the Dead Space reddit:

quote:

"I'm pretty sure the Schofield circlejerk all started because of that one Ars Technica interview a couple years back that got millions of views. Before that, I had never seen people treating the guy like this god that singlehandedly created Dead Space, or even people talking about him much at all.

Yet since that interview people have created this blatantly false narrative that he was this mastermind who has a rivalry with EA because they apparently stole Dead Space from him, even though Glen literally just left Visceral after the release of the first game because he wanted to do something else. Half the fanbase doesn't even seem to know this, because I'm constantly seeing people talk about him as if he were involved with all of the games.

Furthermore, it's sad that all of the other important people who built this franchise get no credit at all. Nobody talks about Ben Wanat who designed the Necromorphs, Chuck Beaver who wrote most of the lore, Ian Milham who was the art director, or Wright Bagwell who went on to direct Extraction and DS2, even though these were highly influential devs who created much of the universe and who actually stayed with the franchise for the sequels. Hell, even Antony Johnston, who wasn't even a part of Visceral, deserves as much credit as Schofield, because the amount of stuff that he wrote for the franchise in addition to DS1 is insane, he was the writer for more than half of the supplementary material and the side games.

And also, Schofield has made it clear in interviews he is not a fan of anything after the first game. He didn't even seem to think Dead Space 2 was a worthy sequel. Furthermore, all of those important people I mentioned? None of them were involved with Callisto. "

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol that's about what I expected especially in regard of the lore/writing which Callisto just decided not to bother with.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

From the Dead Space reddit:

So he really is pulling a Tommy Tallarico then. All an executive producer in video games does from my understanding is maintain contact between the developer and publisher and secure funding. There's almost no creative input at all.

So The Callisto Protocol isn't from the creator of Dead Space. It's from the guy who got EA to throw more money at Dead Space's development.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Looking forward to when Dead Space: Homecoming hits game pass and I can play it without regret.

Although I am intrigued by people who are playing it like Devil May Cry and combo juggling monsters lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Michael Condrey and Bret Robbins, the guys credited as co-directors of Dead Space, both talked about the project as starting with Glen though. Warren Ellis also described his job as expanding on Glen's narrative ideas, without mention of the directors. Glen also put together the team that made the initial vertical slice that was shown to EA, so he did a bit more than just raise funding.

Condrey recently congratulated Brett for successfully returning to space horror so many years after making Dead Space, so he doesn't seem to have any hard feelings for Glen's perceived position as a creator.

How much credit he should get for the final game or its mechanics, idk. Some things certainly changed because his pitch and the initial prototype took place on a prison planet with an Escape from New York-inspired scenario (Hmm...) rather than a mining rig.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 5, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So he really is pulling a Tommy Tallarico then. All an executive producer in video games does from my understanding is maintain contact between the developer and publisher and secure funding. There's almost no creative input at all.

So The Callisto Protocol isn't from the creator of Dead Space. It's from the guy who got EA to throw more money at Dead Space's development.

Tbh I'd be a little hesitant to compare anyone to Tallarico at this point just because that gives Tallarico way too much credit. Has Schofield actually claimed all credit for DS1 himself, or is it just dumbass fans doing it for him?

I'd like to hear more about what happened during development of TCP before passing judgement, both for curiosity reasons (wtf was the connection to PUBG universe at one point?) and to not jump on someone without any info.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just remembered another goofy thing that happens in TCP. If you die in a boss fight it instantly restarts with no prompt. After a few attempts at the first alpha fight near the giant alien carcass I got up to do stuff around the house and came back to the game and realized I was being body slammed to death over and over again for over an hour.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 5, 2022

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Evil Kit posted:

Tbh I'd be a little hesitant to compare anyone to Tallarico at this point just because that gives Tallarico way too much credit. Has Schofield actually claimed all credit for DS1 himself, or is it just dumbass fans doing it for him?

I'd like to hear more about what happened during development of TCP before passing judgement, both for curiosity reasons (wtf was the connection to PUBG universe at one point?) and to not jump on someone without any info.

I've definitely not seen him declaring that he did stuff that other people did, nor does he appear to have any certificates saying he has the world record for most Deads in a Space or that he was the first American hired to work on a Dead Space game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Floor is lava posted:

Just remembered another goofy thing that happens in TCP. If you die in a boss fight it instantly restarts with no prompt. After a few attempts at the first alpha fight near the giant alien carcass I got up to do stuff around the house and came back to the game and realized I was being body slammed to death over and over again for over an hour.

That happened to me but I was actually trying to beat it for an hour

E: just realised which fight you meant and it was uh a different one lol

This has the knock on effect of you being screwed if you need to change your weapon load out from what you have on quick swap as it's impossible in the middle of most boss bits.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 5, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chuck Beaver, I'm sorry, but the Dead Space lore sucks poo poo

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

As someone that loved Dead Space and has an open mind on games I do have to say Callisto Protocol is ultimately disappointing.

I mean I love Dead Space so much I think tis one of the top five original games/IPs to come from the 360/PS3 generation.

But Callisto has some potential and squander most of it. The combat system isn't well designed for handling more than one enemy. There could be a little more enemy variety.

RE: the boss fights All the two head encounters are godawful. They have one hit kills but so much HP. Was there supposed to be a trick for dealing with them? They were just massive ammo sinks.

Also the final boss is awful. It's another one hit kill but there are three waves of explody enemies and because of how the combat system is like, trying to do multiple targets is a pain in the rear end, and it's worse when one of those targets can one hit kill you.

You know the funny part is, a 14 year old game (I'm talking dead space 1 here) is better than Callisto in every way except graphics.

And the Dead Space remake is gonna fix that.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ineffiable posted:

RE: the boss fights All the two head encounters are godawful. They have one hit kills but so much HP. Was there supposed to be a trick for dealing with them? They were just massive ammo sinks.

Also the final boss is awful. It's another one hit kill but there are three waves of explody enemies and because of how the combat system is like, trying to do multiple targets is a pain in the rear end, and it's worse when one of those targets can one hit kill you.

I has a lot of luck with the riot shotgun alt fire. It was so good in fact I sold all ammo that wasn't for the skunk gun or it. The alt fire would oneshot most basic enemies for less ammo than normally firing it. Crafting a full inventory of ammo takes way too long and should be shortened.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Floor is lava posted:

I has a lot of luck with the riot shotgun alt fire. It was so good in fact I sold all ammo that wasn't for the skunk gun or it. The alt fire would oneshot most basic enemies for less ammo than normally firing it. Crafting a full inventory of ammo takes way too long and should be shortened.

I saved it for bigger encounters but I couldn't tell if it was ammo efficient or not (really hard to tell in those boss fights)

If I ever replay the game which I probably won't, I feel like the riot gun (plus keeping the pistol) is the way to go. And of course upgrade your GRP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did anyone manage to buy all the upgrades for the fifth weapon? You get it so late and they're so expensive seems impossible unless you never bothered upgrading more than a couple of things all game.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

Did anyone manage to buy all the upgrades for the fifth weapon? You get it so late and they're so expensive seems impossible unless you never bothered upgrading more than a couple of things all game.

The fifth weapon without damage upgrades felt really bad to use. It did so little damage.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Floor is lava posted:

The fifth weapon without damage upgrades felt really bad to use. It did so little damage.

Yeah, kinda feels like it's there for the NG+ that won't even be available for another two months.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Schofield sounds like Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas where he provided a sketch on a napkin and Henry Selick and crew actually turned it into a movie.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The ars technica video was really good though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When I read some of the posts in here on how quick TCP gets to "everything's hosed, everyone's dying, monsters are everywhere" it just made me think about The Suffering's opening tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Combat would have been better if you could Hulk out occasionally yeah.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Oyffie/status/1599178233718927360

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What about that resembles a fighting game, is he special canceling or something.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Never played the game but he's apparently animation canceling with the kinesis gadget inbetween moves

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Don't fighting games generally try to prevent infinite combos?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

What about that resembles a fighting game, is he special canceling or something.

He must have forgotten to turn on his mic or else you would be hearing some really toxic poo poo talking.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Callisto Protocol is good fun but good lord who signed off on this boss creature?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fil5000 posted:

I've definitely not seen him declaring that he did stuff that other people did, nor does he appear to have any certificates saying he has the world record for most Deads in a Space or that he was the first American hired to work on a Dead Space game.

His mother must not be very proud of him then.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
First 18 minutes of the Dead Space remake. Very close to a 1-to-1 copy for the original, though Hammond's new voice actor sucks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

1stGear posted:

First 18 minutes of the Dead Space remake. Very close to a 1-to-1 copy for the original, though Hammond's new voice actor sucks.

the original guy wasn't daniel day-lewis or anything but man, you could get someone who shows a little emotion when the ship they're in charge of loving violently crashes

one thing i'm actually not a fan of sound design wise is the new necromorph sounds. i get what they were going for, but the originals sounding more like a foley artist going "graaaagh!!" with a bit of modulation actually made them a lot more frightening because of how relatively human they sounded, whereas these new ones have a level of reverb that is, for lack of a better term, trying way too hard to be scary

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah hammond's original VA was constantly dipping in and out of received pronunciation but this guy's got a very "out by five" attitude and it's really not great

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
Has anyone here played Evil West? I heard absolutely nothing about it and a friend recommended it, apparently the co-op sucks but I'm about an hour in solo and it's really fun so far. gives me new doom vibes, cutscenes are a little :words: but I'm having a good action-horror time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
general opinion is that it's an above-average action shooter that fell into our reality through a time warp circa 2010

definitely grabbing it on sale

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Oxxidation posted:

yeah hammond's original VA was constantly dipping in and out of received pronunciation but this guy's got a very "out by five" attitude and it's really not great

Really hoping he keeps that same energy going through his death scene. "Aaaagggh oh no Isaac it's tearing my arm off arghhhh now it's got my leg ahhhhhh"

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Montague Tigg posted:

Has anyone here played Evil West? I heard absolutely nothing about it and a friend recommended it, apparently the co-op sucks but I'm about an hour in solo and it's really fun so far. gives me new doom vibes, cutscenes are a little :words: but I'm having a good action-horror time

Who the heck has said the co-op sucks? Been having a blast with a buddy in it. I enjoy the take on vampires they've taken and the combat is fun, so sit back and enjoy the B movie plot as you punch, shoot and electrocute your way through a bunch of dirty ticks.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

Who the heck has said the co-op sucks? Been having a blast with a buddy in it. I enjoy the take on vampires they've taken and the combat is fun, so sit back and enjoy the B movie plot as you punch, shoot and electrocute your way through a bunch of dirty ticks.

I think the complaints with co-op aren't that it sucks, but that progress only carries for the host. So the other person has to play a level twice to continue together? At least that's what I heard, haven't purchased it yet.

It's on my wishlist for whenever it hits a decent sale. Looks good, and the older style of game design that focuses on core combat without frills is much more up my alley. Just seems extremely likely to get a post-Christmas price dip.

1stGear posted:

Looks nice. Not as visually stunning as Callisto's 30fps mode, but better than the 60fps mode which I guess is the fairer comparison. And the gameplay is guaranteed to be better. Shame about that voice acting... but at least Isaac being voiced doesn't seem to have given him the need to talk to himself about puzzle solutions incessantly. I really thought we were going to get the AAA lines like "Hmm, I bet I can use this stasis module on that door," it's nice that... ah poo poo, he just started talking to himself about shooting the limbs while I was writing this.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 6, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm fine with isaac talking to himself about the central mechanic of combat considering how dead space 1 handled it, but i'm going to swear at my monitor if he gets to the medbay and goes, "wow, it looks like there's some stasis pads i can use my stasis module on to move these scanners out of the way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

1stGear posted:

Minor detail, but I noticed one of the pilots stays in the ship whereas in the original they both follow you in and get killed immediately. Wondering if they're going to try and add more characterization or if they're just saving them for a separate death scene.