Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXiCvmhRD1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

scary ghost dog posted:

sapkowski never worked at cdpr

It's apples to oranges but my hot take is that Sapkowski never produced anything that was the same quality as third game. He's got his moments, but I don't think he had the discipline to live up to his talent and was at his best with some of the short stories by far.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Cyberpunk would have been a much better game without an open world, but no one is allowed to make non-open-world RPGs anymore.

Should have tread closer to Witcher 2, not Witcher 3 and expanded the origin stories into full prologue chapters with their own hubs.

They also shouldn't have killed off T-Bug and Jackie so quickly. An absolute waste that completely undermines the stakes of the rest of the game.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 3, 2022

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Cyberpunk would have been a much better game without an open world, but no one is allowed to make non-open-world RPGs anymore.

Absolutely.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think the openness of night city really benefited the game's atmosphere - you're just a lone speck drifting through this neon-trimmed mega-organism that basically digests and shits out people's dreams - but you always feel like a tourist in the setting rather than a participant in it. not much to do there besides shoot and loot

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Given how freely you can fast travel to basically anywhere, it's easy enough to treat the game as not open world when you're just following up a questline. I still enjoy driving around it and doing random stuff occasionally, or just driving across the city to my next goal instead of fast travelling. The sense of scale is great and I feel like I recognize the individual areas of the city way more than I do in most other open world city games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cyberpunk’s open world is one of the game’s best qualities. It being open word in no way diminishes the writing or any of the other content.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hamhandler posted:

It's apples to oranges but my hot take is that Sapkowski never produced anything that was the same quality as third game. He's got his moments, but I don't think he had the discipline to live up to his talent and was at his best with some of the short stories by far.

ludicrous. witcher 3 is constantly chasing the high of those last three books. all of its best moments are just watered down from the literature

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Hamhandler posted:

Yeeeeeah I'd have to say that the conclusion of the Witcher book series remains my favorite moment in the entire Witcher corpus, games included. The ending, even knowing what it was going to be since I played the games first, was so bittersweet and so satisfying. Better than anything in the games. Don't get me wrong, I love the games, I think the writing is good to outstanding, and I think the conclusion to Blood and Wine is a great ending for Geralt, but it doesn't match the ending to The Lady of The Lake.

If you enjoyed the Witcher games, go read the books. You won't regret it.

edit: and this is coming from someone who did a Witcher "megacampaign" reading all the books in order and then playing all 3 games in order. My opinion stands.

edit edit: And then, at the end of all of it, including Blood and Wine, after pursuing a proper canonical Yennifer path, read Something Ends, Something Begins. I know the short story isn't canonical, but it drat well feels like the proper ending after the games to me.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 4, 2022

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

chaosapiant posted:

Cyberpunk’s open world is one of the game’s best qualities. It being open word in no way diminishes the writing or any of the other content.

They literally filled the map with cop missions. It absolutely detracts from the writing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeeeeeah I'd have to say that the conclusion of the Witcher book series remains my favorite moment in the entire Witcher corpus, games included. The ending, even knowing what it was going to be since I played the games first, was so bittersweet and so satisfying. Better than anything in the games. Don't get me wrong, I love the games, I think the writing is good to outstanding, and I think the conclusion to Blood and Wine is a great ending for Geralt, but it doesn't match the ending to The Lady of The Lake.

edit: and this is coming from someone who did a Witcher "megacampaign" reading all the books in order and then playing all 3 games in order. My opinion stands.

edit edit: And then, at the end of all of it, including Blood and Wine, after pursuing a proper canonical Yennifer path, read Something Ends, Something Begins. I know the short story isn't canonical, but it drat well feels like the proper ending after the games to me.

the amount that blood and wine is improved for having read the books is frankly unreasonable

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

the amount that blood and wine is improved for having read the books is frankly unreasonable

Agreed. It's extra special knowing Regis from the books and seeing him in Blood and Wine and saying "Aaah! He's back!"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They literally filled the map with cop missions. It absolutely detracts from the writing.
They aren't even missions, they're just random spots where you can kill some mooks for some XP/money when you get near them. It takes no effort to ignore them and even if you don't ignore them, it has no impact on the writing one way or the other

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Volte posted:

They aren't even missions, they're just random spots where you can kill some mooks for some XP/money when you get near them. It takes no effort to ignore them and even if you don't ignore them, it has no impact on the writing one way or the other

How dare I think coherent themes should be considered part of a game's writing. Yeah you can obviously ignore parts of a game you don't like, that doesn't mean they aren't part of the game. If they have no impact on the game or anyone's experience playing it, why do they exist?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Because it's fun to kill mooks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

:chloe:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Should have tread closer to Witcher 2, not Witcher 3 and expanded the origin stories into full prologue chapters with their own hubs.

They also shouldn't have killed off T-Bug and Jackie so quickly. An absolute waste that completely undermines the stakes of the rest of the game.

I'm playing cyberpunk right now and the pacing is incredibly weird. My character rolls into town and is immediately an expert and does a high stake heist mission where all the main characters die. This is like 5 hours into the game, and now i'm stuck with junk side characters and no one i care about, and all the missions are super unimportant/side stuff which feel less cool than the heist.

It doesn't help that 99% of the main missions so far are - recieve call/text, turn up and spend 10 minutes talking to character, follow them for 10 minutes, do 1 minute of action/thing, talk for another 10 minutes then leave.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
If only we had a Cyberpunk thread to talk about these things........................................

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We don't have a change list for the new edition of Witcher 3 yet, do we?
I'm curious about how extensive the gameplay changes are and if they hosed something up, like these kinds of updates fairly often do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fall damage reduced.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Volte posted:

I guess it sounds like they should have had letters giving them some sad backstory on why they became bandits.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Cantorsdust posted:

I am perversely hoping that the Netflix series gets to it so I can read a summary of what they end up doing. The end of "The Lady of the Lake" is kind of goofy- it seems like it should have something to say in re: to Geralt renouncing being a hero and then immediately dying trying to be one, but then completely forgoes that for tying in a bunch of Arthurian legend themes at all which don't really dovetail particularly neatly with anything about the Witcher series. Is there a message about persevering and trying to do good in the face of a lovely world? Not really. Why did they go to not-Avalon? Are they legends who will be fabled to return at the time of need like Arthur? No, not so far as the book sets up- the stuff exploring the legend and romance with Nimue in the future doesn't even mention Geralt or Yennefer as far as I remember. I think the ending would be stronger if he made some sort of case that Geralt and Yennefer became legendary figures, maybe among the pogrom victims- but no, he doesn't. It's almost like he realizes it after the fact and puts in a bit about Geralt and Nimue in "Season of Storms", but still. Why are they tied into Arthurian legend, beyond the author being a big fan?

I think the bit about Ciri retreating literally into comforting stories in the face of a lovely reality is a good one, but I don't think he sticks the landing on that, either. Why Arthurian legend? Did Ciri come away with an idea that the world needs a little bit more chivalry or courtliness? Not thematically or in the story, at least- she is repeatedly is harmed or threatened harm by it. Why does it make sense she go seek it out?

IMO the books repeatedly have issues with Sapkowski wanting to subvert fairy tales and then struggling to come up with an ending, and just says gently caress it and goes with whatever his first impulse is even if it's a kernel of an idea or doesn't really tie it together all that well. Which is I think fine in the short stories, "A Little Sacrifice" is not harmed by him putting the werewolf at the end for no real reason but I think it hurts in the multi-book format.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

We don't have a change list for the new edition of Witcher 3 yet, do we?
I'm curious about how extensive the gameplay changes are and if they hosed something up, like these kinds of updates fairly often do.

It's a bunch of QOL stuff, I think all the new content has been added to a previously unused area of the map to prevent that from being an issue. They're going to deliver all the "DLC" stuff to the unused quarry area.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Hamhandler posted:

I am perversely hoping that the Netflix series gets to it so I can read a summary of what they end up doing. The end of "The Lady of the Lake" is kind of goofy- it seems like it should have something to say in re: to Geralt renouncing being a hero and then immediately dying trying to be one, but then completely forgoes that for tying in a bunch of Arthurian legend themes at all which don't really dovetail particularly neatly with anything about the Witcher series. Is there a message about persevering and trying to do good in the face of a lovely world? Not really. Why did they go to not-Avalon? Are they legends who will be fabled to return at the time of need like Arthur? No, not so far as the book sets up- the stuff exploring the legend and romance with Nimue in the future doesn't even mention Geralt or Yennefer as far as I remember. I think the ending would be stronger if he made some sort of case that Geralt and Yennefer became legendary figures, maybe among the pogrom victims- but no, he doesn't. It's almost like he realizes it after the fact and puts in a bit about Geralt and Nimue in "Season of Storms", but still. Why are they tied into Arthurian legend, beyond the author being a big fan?

I think the bit about Ciri retreating literally into comforting stories in the face of a lovely reality is a good one, but I don't think he sticks the landing on that, either. Why Arthurian legend? Did Ciri come away with an idea that the world needs a little bit more chivalry or courtliness? Not thematically or in the story, at least- she is repeatedly is harmed or threatened harm by it. Why does it make sense she go seek it out?

IMO the books repeatedly have issues with Sapkowski wanting to subvert fairy tales and then struggling to come up with an ending, and just says gently caress it and goes with whatever his first impulse is even if it's a kernel of an idea or doesn't really tie it together all that well. Which is I think fine in the short stories, "A Little Sacrifice" is not harmed by him putting the werewolf at the end for no real reason but I think it hurts in the multi-book format.

Further discussion of the ending to The Lady of the Lake. A few points:

1) Geralt spends the entire book series grumbling about not wanting to be a hero and then winding up being one anyway. It seemed very in-character to me. He's always getting into trouble for doing what's right instead of what's easy. It's literally his first action as a new witcher--getting involved saving the merchant's daughter etc.

I think Sapkowski has a lot to say about racial justice in his books, and I think having Geralt die a hero's death protecting his friends from a pogrom is meant to be an honorable sendoff.

2) Sapkowski definitely has a love for Arthurian legend, but the ending to The Lady of the Lake isn't the first time it shows up. Nimue is the titular Lady of the Lake and appears throughout Arthurian stories, and she has her own Fisher King. And she was one of the children listening to Stribog in Baptism of Fire, so she's not technically restricted to the last book, either. The various Towers on the water surrounded by mists and acting as gateways to other worlds match the Castle of the Grail. And Yennifer is the same name as Guinevere, which raises the question of if Geralt is meant to be analogous to Arthur.

As another example of non-canon Witcher writing prominently featuring Arthurian motifs is that Something Ends, Something Begins story I linked above. That was written in 1992 as a friend's wedding gift--that's the same year he published Sword of Destiny and years before he ended the series. In that story, Ciri again winds up with Galahad, and the story also includes the motifs of the Fisher King and quest for the Grail.

I think given the endings for both The Lady of the Lake and Something Ends, Something Begins, it's fair to say Ciri is a metaphorical Grail. It's what Geralt and company are questing for in the books, and she leaves with Galahad, the only Arthurian knight to find the Grail. This might only be inferred from the canonical series, but it is outright stated in Something Ends, Something Begins when Dandelion chides Galahad for failing to recognize that he's been sitting next to his Grail (Ciri), for the entire wedding.

We know that Sapkowski cares deeply about Arthurian legend. He actually published The World of King Arthur, including a short story The Malady, a retelling of Tristan and Iseult, in 1995, midway through the Witcher series. And in that book he in fact makes the argument that he considers the Grail to be a metaphor for a woman.

This is not to say that the Witcher series is a retelling or even homage to Arthurian legend, it's just to say that Sapkowski is clearly familiar with and influenced by Arthurian themes. It's not surprising that he's drawing on those themes, and those themes begin long before the ending. I think he uses them in the ending to give it a greater emotional punch. I'm not sure how well it lands, particularly given his original Polish audience. Are they also familiar with and moved by those themes? It's not exactly their national literature. I think as an English speaker I'm probably more predisposed to like Arthurian legend.

I think there's a certain practicality to it as well. Sapkowski was tired of writing Witcher books by the end of the saga and wanted to move on, but he also knew better than to kill his cash cow entirely. Placing Geralt and Yennifer in stasis on Avalon keeps them safe to bring back later if needed. Such as in Season of Storms, which is not bad per se but feels like the author's own fanfiction after the completion of the saga.

I'll agree with you that the ending is a little goofy. But I'm okay with manufacturing a bittersweet goodbye to the characters I spent so many books following, and the feeling of the ending matches my feeling leaving them. But that's me as a fan, not me as a literary critic speaking.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm not sure how well it lands, particularly given his original Polish audience. Are they also familiar with and moved by those themes? It's not exactly their national literature. I think as an English speaker I'm probably more predisposed to like Arthurian legend.

I'd say every Polish person has at least some basic knowledge about Arthurian legends, it's pretty famous stuff. And even if they don't entirely get what Sapkowski was going for, I don't think he cares. I read an interview with him once where he said he puts literary references in his works for his own amusement and if the readers pick up on them then that's a nice bonus

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

A lot of these things could be said about Witcher 3 as well, especially after locating Ciri, and the excuse to look in every nook and cranny for where she went disappears. The velocity of the main quest line fucks up the pacing when trying to do side content narratively. Another goon posted about how the pacing is very off in Cyberpunk and it is off in W3 as well but probably not as poorly done. That said CDPR games have some of the best writing in the industry even when pacing detracts from it. The entire Witcher series and CP 2077 rest upon side quests that see the protagonist meeting interesting characters that are fleshed out and also serve as a world-building exercise. and After they do the work of making a three-dimensional character, they then typically throw a moral choice at you which can be a brutal one at times. On the whole, the W3 is probably a superior game but nothing in W3 made me agonize over what to do with Delamain for example. That stupid taxi subplot was one of the most interesting things they wrote and CP 2077 has a lot of those moments that W3 didn't have as much of.

edit: One game that manages to dodge the pacing tension between MQ and side content is Pathfinder - Kingmaker. I am working my way through that one right now and they sequence a lot of downtime in between the main storyline for you to do side content that doesn't seem overly contrived.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I agree about the pacing/open world aspects of W3 being better done than Cyberpunk.

Witcher 3: I'm trying to find someone I haven't seen in years, in an age where news travels at the speed of horses (or sorcery/teleportation in very rare cases) - taking some odd jobs here and there on my way makes sense in that setting.

Cyberpunk: I have a chip in my brain that's going to kill me ... soon??? who knows? Could be today, could be a few weeks? Taking a bunch of time doing side quests, some of which have "come back in a week" timers always felt weird to me as I played. I still love the game but just judging by how I felt during my first play through, it felt weird/wrong to spend any time doing side quests.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

Further discussion of the ending to The Lady of the Lake. A few points:

1) Geralt spends the entire book series grumbling about not wanting to be a hero and then winding up being one anyway. It seemed very in-character to me. He's always getting into trouble for doing what's right instead of what's easy. It's literally his first action as a new witcher--getting involved saving the merchant's daughter etc.

I think Sapkowski has a lot to say about racial justice in his books, and I think having Geralt die a hero's death protecting his friends from a pogrom is meant to be an honorable sendoff.

2) Sapkowski definitely has a love for Arthurian legend, but the ending to The Lady of the Lake isn't the first time it shows up. Nimue is the titular Lady of the Lake and appears throughout Arthurian stories, and she has her own Fisher King. And she was one of the children listening to Stribog in Baptism of Fire, so she's not technically restricted to the last book, either. The various Towers on the water surrounded by mists and acting as gateways to other worlds match the Castle of the Grail. And Yennifer is the same name as Guinevere, which raises the question of if Geralt is meant to be analogous to Arthur.

As another example of non-canon Witcher writing prominently featuring Arthurian motifs is that Something Ends, Something Begins story I linked above. That was written in 1992 as a friend's wedding gift--that's the same year he published Sword of Destiny and years before he ended the series. In that story, Ciri again winds up with Galahad, and the story also includes the motifs of the Fisher King and quest for the Grail.

I think given the endings for both The Lady of the Lake and Something Ends, Something Begins, it's fair to say Ciri is a metaphorical Grail. It's what Geralt and company are questing for in the books, and she leaves with Galahad, the only Arthurian knight to find the Grail. This might only be inferred from the canonical series, but it is outright stated in Something Ends, Something Begins when Dandelion chides Galahad for failing to recognize that he's been sitting next to his Grail (Ciri), for the entire wedding.

We know that Sapkowski cares deeply about Arthurian legend. He actually published The World of King Arthur, including a short story The Malady, a retelling of Tristan and Iseult, in 1995, midway through the Witcher series. And in that book he in fact makes the argument that he considers the Grail to be a metaphor for a woman.

This is not to say that the Witcher series is a retelling or even homage to Arthurian legend, it's just to say that Sapkowski is clearly familiar with and influenced by Arthurian themes. It's not surprising that he's drawing on those themes, and those themes begin long before the ending. I think he uses them in the ending to give it a greater emotional punch. I'm not sure how well it lands, particularly given his original Polish audience. Are they also familiar with and moved by those themes? It's not exactly their national literature. I think as an English speaker I'm probably more predisposed to like Arthurian legend.

I think there's a certain practicality to it as well. Sapkowski was tired of writing Witcher books by the end of the saga and wanted to move on, but he also knew better than to kill his cash cow entirely. Placing Geralt and Yennifer in stasis on Avalon keeps them safe to bring back later if needed. Such as in Season of Storms, which is not bad per se but feels like the author's own fanfiction after the completion of the saga.

I'll agree with you that the ending is a little goofy. But I'm okay with manufacturing a bittersweet goodbye to the characters I spent so many books following, and the feeling of the ending matches my feeling leaving them. But that's me as a fan, not me as a literary critic speaking.

great post

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate 2 in which you need to raise money to be able to rescue your best friend (really your only friend most of your life) who has been imprisoned and is being tortured and experimented on, but raising the money takes like one quest tops and the game allows you to spend several months doing everything else in the game. Not caring about delaying the main quest no matter how dire it sounds to do side content is just being genre aware.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

There is no dedicated PS5 version of Witcher 3 at this point, but the next-gen update will get an official PS5 release version, am I correct?

So if you get a (cheap) PS4 GOTY edition (disk or digital), install it on the PS5, the upgrade will be free?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

mcbexx posted:

There is no dedicated PS5 version of Witcher 3 at this point, but the next-gen update will get an official PS5 release version, am I correct?

So if you get a (cheap) PS4 GOTY edition (disk or digital), install it on the PS5, the upgrade will be free?

According to this page, yes: https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/t...-a-free-upgrade

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
There is a quest "The price of Honor" on the Nintendo switch version of the Witcher 3 that isn't working right. I hope the update fixes it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Cyberpunk sucked loving rear end

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Cyberpunk was fun but bad at launch, haven't played it since then

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It’s quite good now.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Did they ever fix the Cop AI?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

pik_d posted:

This is like asking whether they ever fix bad Witcher combat.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

pik_d posted:

Game still doesn't let you shoot them unless they shoot first, so no

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sylvian Wastes posted:

There is a quest "The price of Honor" on the Nintendo switch version of the Witcher 3 that isn't working right. I hope the update fixes it.

I don't think Switch is getting updated.

Edit: I'm wrong it is getting QoL and bugfix stuff I guess.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

isk posted:

Game still doesn't let you shoot them unless they shoot first, so no

not true, was never true

hey everybody if you hate CP please come to the CP thread and don't poo poo up this one with bullshit you heard a youtuber say