Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I have both Builders games on Switch and they work fine enough. There can be occasional moments of frame-dropping and the initial load-in is a little sluggish but none of it ever genuinely bothered me.

I've never played on a beefy PC or other platform that's more capable than the Switch, though, and I also generally play docked, so take that with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

How well do the Builders games run on Switch? I have both on my wish list and they might go on special during the holiday season. I play my Switch almost entirely in portable mode, and it's not the most powerful hardware as you know.

DQB2 on switch was a great time, I played the whole thing in handheld and there wasn’t anything that stood out as a problem.

I’m not a fussy bitch when it comes to framerates though so if you’re one of those “anything less than 60fps is like razor blades on my delicate eyeballs” people you might find more to dissuade you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

JustJeff88 posted:

How well do the Builders games run on Switch? I have both on my wish list and they might go on special during the holiday season. I play my Switch almost entirely in portable mode, and it's not the most powerful hardware as you know.

there's some chug when you blow up a large chunk of land because of the scattering of blocks but it's fine and playable

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Some of the extremely built up towns you can load from other people will chug rear end but they do that on PS4 also

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

History Comes Inside! posted:

DQB2 on switch was a great time, I played the whole thing in handheld and there wasn’t anything that stood out as a problem.

I’m not a fussy bitch when it comes to framerates though so if you’re one of those “anything less than 60fps is like razor blades on my delicate eyeballs” people you might find more to dissuade you.

Good to hear. I"m not a framerate primadonna either.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KingSlime posted:

Holy poo poo they really are about to just drop this dragon quest treasures game on us aren't they?

I saw a quick gameplay video and my mind is kind of blown... It's like Dragon warrior monsters meets breath of the wild but with more things to do?? Holy poo poo and using the monster abilities for movement. Yes please

Part of me is a little disappointed that it isn't a proper monster game but whatever, I know they're working on one and meanwhile I have Siralim Ultimate for that. Whatever this is though just looks fantastic

I'd this switch exclusive or also on steam?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I believe it's a switch exclusive with no plans for other platforms for now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aww man but I am steampilled now

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Judge Tesla posted:

Just sliding in to say that Heroes 2 is extremely good and also worth playing.

I've heard that as well. But I'm just not a huge fan of the gameplay format. It's a bit too chaotic for me, my brain has a hard time keeping up. The super-close camera doesn't help things. I haven't played the game in almost 2 weeks, if that says anything.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah, I respect how those developers go out of their way to make every themed warriors game feel a lot like the source material, I think they do a great job with that. But god drat plain old hack and slash gameplay with endless braindead mobs was boring as poo poo in the 90s and it's still boring as poo poo today

Props to persona 5 Strikers for straight up cribbing the dungeon design of the main franchise though which basically gives persona fans brand new dungeons to crawl through. If I have a favorite warriors game it would probably be that one, but yeah, generally I'd rather play something else with better moment to moment gameplay

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Seeing the world in Slime-O-Vision is such a great mechanic. Also I need a Rocket Slime remake. Get on that, Square Enix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DncSvDnGGrc

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can’t wait to run around as Erik and find the 7 dragonballsstones.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Currently playing through the DS version of DQV. Loving it so far..

I really wish they would re-release all the old games on modern systems. I'd pay a good chunk of cash for 1-8 on PS5 or Switch or PC or anything. I'd pay full game price for 1-3 on one disc, 4-6 on another, and 7 and 8 on one. Take my money!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Malaria posted:

Currently playing through the DS version of DQV. Loving it so far..

I really wish they would re-release all the old games on modern systems. I'd pay a good chunk of cash for 1-8 on PS5 or Switch or PC or anything. I'd pay full game price for 1-3 on one disc, 4-6 on another, and 7 and 8 on one. Take my money!

I think 1-3 are actually on the Switch but they cost a lot and you don't get much. DQ3 doesn't even have animated monsters like the Super Famicom version did.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dq3 has a new version coming out sometime. Don't know when and haven't seen updates since they announced it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

A lot of them are available on mobil :shrug:

I hope dq3 remake comes out on ps4, but given octopath traveler and live-a-live aren't there yet I don't have much hope

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I imagine some of that is more Nintendo than Square. Though Octopath's availability is weird: it's on Switch, Xbox, and PC, but 2 will be on Switch, PC, and Playstation, but not Xbox.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Prism posted:

I think 1-3 are actually on the Switch but they cost a lot and you don't get much. DQ3 doesn't even have animated monsters like the Super Famicom version did.

They are, and they also replaced the charming sprites from the original games in battles with hand-drawn art which is not nearly as nice, imo.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Malaria posted:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dragon%20quest&c=apps&hl=en

You said "anything." :shrug: Don't you (guys) have a phone? I've not played those versions of 1-3 or 8 but I can definitely recommend 4-6.

The footage I've seen of 1-3 on Switch is absolutely hideous and I'd never buy them even if I had a Switch.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 6, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The phone version of 8 isn't great but it's alright. The phone version of 7 didn't leave Japan, but really it's only 9 that's not readily playable today

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I didn't realize Dai: A Hero's Bonds was out in English now. Has anyone played it? Is it any good?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I didn't realize Dai: A Hero's Bonds was out in English now. Has anyone played it? Is it any good?

I read the whole DQ Dai manga and I gotta say… it has the worst names. Marm and Pop are firmly “meh” tier, and Strash is just a crime against letters. I understand what it’s going for, but it is Ed Wood levels of missing the mark.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Does 8 (on 3DS if that matters) have a respec mechanic? I'm getting some mild decision paralysis with the skills and that would definitely help

it obviously doesn't have one at every church like in 11 but i wouldn't be surprised if it was possible only at some mid/lategame location

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's no skill respec/reset in any version of Dragon Quest VIII

Edit: by the end of the game you should have enough skill points to master two skill trees (or paths, I guess, they don't branch...) per character. I strongly suggest you level up everyone's personal skill and one weapon skill each.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 7, 2022

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

YggiDee posted:

There's no skill respec/reset in any version of Dragon Quest VIII

Edit: by the end of the game you should have enough skill points to master two skill trees (or paths, I guess, they don't branch...) per character. I strongly suggest you level up everyone's personal skill and one weapon skill each.
this is what i did. I think the Hero's personal skill caps with a sword skill though, which was annoying since i picked spears

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bummer! I'll have to live with my awful decisions

I guess I'm also just assuming you don't get nearly enough sp to fill all the trees without insane seed of skill grinding. Is that accurate

E: oh. Yes it is

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't think I'm going to rigidly stick to leveling exactly two things though, that sounds boring and optimisation is for losers anyway. Lots of the trees seem have a couple skills i'd want to pick up but nothing particularly good at the top end.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Honestly, follow a guide for skills. Read through some of the builds and pick one that sounds cool for each character when you get them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just don't like having to juggle weapons

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's over complicating things. there are only three points to follow for skills in 8.

1. max out any weapon. some are better than others, but there are no dud options.
2. dip in and out of other trees for any other skill that looks nice.
3. the hero gets a flashy but mostly useless spell from maxing out both swords and bravery.

if you really must, you can find specific point by point builds but it isn't necessary or even particularly useful.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Honestly, follow a guide for skills. Read through some of the builds and pick one that sounds cool for each character when you get them.
This sounds like the worst way to play the game imaginable, why would i do this

I looked up what the skills actually *are* but I'm not going to ruin my fun of experimenting with the system by sticking to something someone else has decided is good

Like what, will the game be literally uncompletable if i don't do a "correct" skill build? No it won't. It's a dragon quest game.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
With regards to DQ8, you get 350 skill points by the time you get to max level, which is enough to master 3.5 skill trees. There are some bosses & enemies that will drop seeds of skill and you'll find them through out the game.

My suggestions, spoilered:

Hero: Swords, Spears, Courage
Yangus: Axes, Scythes, Humanity
Jessica: Whips, Staff, Sex Appeal. Magic Burst in Fisticuffs is amazingly powerful as well, but the rest of the tree isn't great.
Angelo: Bow, Staff, Charisma
Red: Fan,Knives, Roguery
Morrie: Claws, Passion, Clubs or Boomerangs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the only bad part of 8 is that they don't show you what the skill points will actually give you. It's such a bad decision but I guess it's functionally impossible to make such a useless team that you can't beat the game

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best thing in Jessica's whip skill tree was greatly nerfed in the 3DS version compared to PS2, so I prefer staves there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In Training posted:

the only bad part of 8 is that they don't show you what the skill points will actually give you. It's such a bad decision but I guess it's functionally impossible to make such a useless team that you can't beat the game
IIRC they fixed that in the 3DS version, which OP said they're playing. You can see the skill breakpoints and what skills they give you when you assign skill points, both at level up and in the menu option they added to the "Misc." menu. Ported the design straight from DQ9.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Amppelix posted:

This sounds like the worst way to play the game imaginable, why would i do this

I looked up what the skills actually *are* but I'm not going to ruin my fun of experimenting with the system by sticking to something someone else has decided is good

Like what, will the game be literally uncompletable if i don't do a "correct" skill build? No it won't. It's a dragon quest game.

Oh definitely don't take my advice if you're going into it with a chill mindset. 'Look up a build' advice is for those out there who get decision paralysis because they're scared of screwing up.

For actual skills, I really liked thin air on someone. Good skill that falls off eventually but you start getting the endgame stuff by then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thin air deletes any random battle for about 3/4 of the game, but it does require gear swaps.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's bizarre how powerful Twin Dragon Lash is in 8 OG. Your spellcaster probably shouldn't be out damaging your Hero and Swolebro.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That niche seems to be given to Red and her knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

YggiDee posted:

That niche seems to be given to Red and her knives.

Yea, Red and Morrie are overtuned for sure. Hero/Jessica or Angelo/Red/Morrie will do work.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 7, 2022