Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Dansby is 100% the boobie prize this offseason.
What the dickens is going with this hot stove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Good Dog posted:

Where would the Padres have even played Turner? With Manny at 3rd and whatever is going on with Tatis' suspension/injury at Short, with Kim having a fantastic year there in his place, and Croenworth having an all star season at 2B there doesn't really seem to be room for him.

Why not just DH Tatis ... for however many games he'll be eligible for

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

No Safe Word posted:

Why not just DH Tatis ... for however many games he'll be eligible for

Tatis strikes me as the type of dude who needs to play to hit. But they were also already talking about putting him in the OF a bit before he got suspended so if they were really in on Trea you'd have to think that would be the plan. (Or moving Cronenworth to 1B full-time since they have not much doing there.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like the Padres would be better served signing some pitchers instead

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I don't think the Astros are well positioned to replace 175 IP of 220 ERA+ pitching internally. As promising as Hunter Brown is that's, uh, tough.

You won’t be getting another JV internally, but now you have Framber as your #1 ace and Urquidy is back in the regular rotation instead of your #6 starter/potential trade piece.

Framber
Javier
McCullers
Garcia
Urquidy

Brown to replace anyone who has an IL stint. The rotation will definitely miss JV, but it’s not a do-or-die gap that becomes an off-season signing priority.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1599919098988703745?s=20&t=eCUgOeQ14UFjMy7JRZyZGA

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

All-MLB first team unveiled

quote:

First Team starting pitchers

Sandy Alcantara, Marlins
Shohei Ohtani, Angels
Justin Verlander, Astros
Framber Valdez, Astros
Alek Manoah, Blue Jays

First Team infield

C: J.T. Realmuto, Phillies
1B: Paul Goldschmidt, Cardinals
2B: Jose Altuve, Astros
SS: Trea Turner, Dodgers
3B: Manny Machado, Padres

First Team DH

Yordan Alvarez, Astros

First Team outfield

Aaron Judge, Yankees
Mookie Betts, Dodgers
Mike Trout, Angels
Seems pretty reasonable.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Good Dog posted:

Where would the Padres have even played Turner? With Manny at 3rd and whatever is going on with Tatis' suspension/injury at Short, with Kim having a fantastic year there in his place, and Croenworth having an all star season at 2B there doesn't really seem to be room for him.
Machado/Turner/Kim/Cronenworth in the IF (Crone's played a fair bit of first) and then Tatis in right and Soto in left.

Your downside is that the bats aren't as elite when they're moved down the defensive spectrum and, as FlamingLib notes, that rotation (and bench) need some love. Have to imagine the logic centers around Machado's optout opportunity (which I thought Soto was intended as insurance/an alternative spending target for). Or they'll just spend $everything on former Preller targets. I respect it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welp sorry everybody looks like the biggest FA on the market is off the board:

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/1599923989157117958

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

All-MLB first team unveiled

Seems pretty reasonable.

Shohei made first AND second team All MLB lol

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I don't think the Astros are well positioned to replace 175 IP of 220 ERA+ pitching internally. As promising as Hunter Brown is that's, uh, tough.

yeah well - no player in the MLB did that other than Verlander - it was an all time performance across a season.

Since they raised the mound in 1968 - only 5 other pitchers Maddux (2x), Pedro (2x), Clemens (2x), Greinke (1x), and Dwight Gooden (1x) have had a higher ERA+ as an SP for a season (caveat - there were a bunch of SP's who exceeded that in 2020 across like 70 IP).

The Verlander trade exceeded my wildest expectations. 2 World Series, 3 AL pennants, 2 Cy Youngs (one Cy Young runner up) across what was essentially 3.5 seasons pitched for the Astros. All of that was for like Daz Cameron and some other dudes - it may be one of the best trades ever.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 6, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It's without question a downgrade but there still isn't a huge hole in the rotation, at least not in the top of the rotation. McCullers barely pitched last year and when he did he still clearly had some rust so that'll help as well and hell even if JV stayed I don't think it's overly likely he repeats the season he just had

That said, I wouldn't mind if the Astros took a shot at Syndergaard or someone. Rodon for sure ain't happening but the next step down might look worth a shot at

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel a lot better about losing JV than I did Cole, because our staff is insanely deep

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1599951603007893504

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Sab0921 posted:

yeah well - no player in the MLB did that other than Verlander - it was an all time performance across a season.

Since they raised the mound in 1968 - only 5 other pitchers Maddux (2x), Pedro (2x), Clemens (2x), Greinke (1x), and Dwight Gooden (1x) have had a higher ERA+ as an SP for a season (caveat - there were a bunch of SP's who exceeded that in 2020 across like 70 IP).

The Verlander trade exceeded my wildest expectations. 2 World Series, 3 AL pennants, 2 Cy Youngs (one Cy Young runner up) across what was essentially 3.5 seasons pitched for the Astros. All of that was for like Daz Cameron and some other dudes - it may be one of the best trades ever.

I'm glad he got to win a couple of titles, but I'm going to be bummed if he doesn't go into the Hall as a Tiger :smith:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The Astros also made the World Series in 2021 without him

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

I feel a lot better about losing JV than I did Cole, because our staff is insanely deep

Yeah honestly unless they decide to target the top of the market, I don't see the point in adding another SP from the free-agent pool.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Again, the Astros don't need SP. They need a DH and/or another outfielder. They are about close to done and complete as a team can be.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Cubs looking to make a bang this offseason

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Again, the Astros don't need SP. They need a DH and/or another outfielder. They are about close to done and complete as a team can be.

They got the DH with Abreu. Just re-sign Brantley and Vasquez and call it a day.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

what? don't they have the best DH in the game already?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why is everyone so cool with Alvarez playing LF every day except me. I don't want him in LF. Every time he faceplants on a tough play I worry about his knees

bawfuls posted:

For some reason it seems to have been accepted that Yordan will continue to play LF. He was in LF because there was no one else!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Intruder posted:

Cubs looking to make a bang this offseason

They're meeting with everyone to give the illusion of trying before signing some scrappy AAAA guys and soft tossing command guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Out of the three guys the Astros are supposedly targeting, assuming each man performs close to his typical season, I'd rather have Brantley back than Conforto or Benintendi, and I'd rather keep Maldy and Vazquez/prospect platoon than get Contreras. IMO.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

They got the DH with Abreu. Just re-sign Brantley and Vasquez and call it a day.

Abreu is not the regular DH. He may do it sparingly as he did with the White Sox. He's the everyday 1B and yes Brantley is my choice as well but I think they are waiting to see how his shoulder plays out. May be awhile before he signs with someone.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Out of the three guys the Astros are supposedly targeting, assuming each man performs close to his typical season, I'd rather have Brantley back than Conforto or Benintendi, and I'd rather keep Maldy and Vazquez/prospect platoon than get Contreras. IMO.

What's the outlook for recovery from the surgery he got?

Although all three are recovering from season ending (or missing) surgery

e: We could avoid all of this by just signing Judge instead :v:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Why is everyone so cool with Alvarez playing LF every day except me. I don't want him in LF. Every time he faceplants on a tough play I worry about his knees

For some reason it seems to have been accepted that Yordan will continue to play LF. He was in LF because there was no one else!
sounds like people obsessed with moving Mookie Betts to 2B

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Yordan is LF...they've been pushing him to be full time there. I'll need to find the quotes/articles but that's been my impression.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

What's the outlook for recovery from the surgery he got?

Although all three are recovering from season ending (or missing) surgery

e: We could avoid all of this by just signing Judge instead :v:

It's the second time he's had the procedure on his right shoulder in seven years :shrug:

I presume that the Astros are waiting to see what his prognosis is, how his rehab is going, etc, but I'd sure love to have him back. Apparently he gave a Heywardesque speech that gave the lads the inspiration they needed to bring it 'ome, he's about as good a clubhouse guy as you could want, and the .360 obp doesnt hurt

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 6, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sydin posted:

Welp sorry everybody looks like the biggest FA on the market is off the board:

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/1599923989157117958

can't say I'm surprised by this development, smart move by Orix beating all the MLB teams to signing him

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Frank I hope you tank 50 home runs in Japan.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Correa to the Cubs would truly form the most unholy posting alliance as we cubsposters could no longer complain about The Cans™ in good faith.

I really, really hope the Cubs are genuinely trying to land one of the top SS FA's and making competitive offers, and not just blowing a bunch of smoke so they can say "lol we tried", I'm so loving sick of the Cubs acting like a middle market team like we're back in the goddamn Tribune years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cubs and Astros fans unified could only pretell the coming of the mcmagic reign of terror.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

oh I'm sure Cubs fans will have no problem continuing to talk about cans

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
yes I can assure you nothing will stop me from can chat

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Less convinced Judge staying with the Yankees after this.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1599934099678195712?s=20&t=NcAxpxubj1vYEP9XfU8dbw

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I have always been pro-can banging and I hope the rest of the team is willing to learn from Correa's winning ways

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

hard to accept but correa is the ideal teammate. exceptionally talented in all aspects of the game, great at talking to and mentoring teammates, willing to throw himself under the bus to take heat off his teammates

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1599965959552368640

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1599937773456486400

Cashman preparing Yankees fans to lose Judge?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cashman does a great job in sounding like he's terrible at his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm sorry to my 'strosposting friends, but banging on cans will never stop being funny to me. i have never cared at all about the cheating, that's whatever, but please let me make cans jokes, they literally hit garbage cans with a bat, it's such a delightfully stupid meatheaded baseball thing and i will never stop laughing about it or the cardinals cybercrimes.

Frank is going to be a loving legend in Japan.