Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
he got off scott free. hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Yup, and the US Navy was unsuccessful in criminally pinning the blame on one young sailor. They've a bad habit of hunting for one dude they feel like blaming for generally mismanaged safety disasters. https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/09/30/sailor-found-not-guilty-of-setting-fire-that-destroyed-ship/

omfg hahahaha

quote:

Prosecutors presented no physical evidence during the nine-day trial that the sailor set the ship on fire, while the defense chipped away at the credibility of a key witness, Seaman Kenji Velasco, who changed his account over time.

The prosecutor, Capt. Jason Jones, acknowledged in court a Navy report last year that concluded that the inferno was preventable and unacceptable, and that there were lapses in training, coordination, communications, fire preparedness, equipment maintenance and overall command and control. The failure to extinguish or contain the fire led to temperatures exceeding 1,200 degrees in some areas, melting sections of the ship into molten metal that flowed into other parts of the ship.

lol they say he was chipping paint, was the guy a undesignated slave or w/e?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

alls i know is im glad i dont know, or think i know, enough about airplanes to look at a picture of part of one being damaged and say whether its okay or not

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the Navy tried to blame the Iowa blowing up on gay sex, no surprise they'd try it again

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Boats packed full of explosives can just explode sometimes by accident, but nobody wants to admit it for some reason.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Homeless Friend posted:

lol they say he was chipping paint, was the guy a undesignated slave or w/e?

pretty much i guess. low rank scrubs are always set to chipping paint ever since wood decks stopped being a thing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
US Navy and a sampling of ship mishaps:

Bonhomme: just some dude did it!
Iowa: Gay guy did it for gay reasons!
Maddox: okay, so it never even caught fire, but it was those damned North Vietnamese guys anyway!
Maine: Cuba, I tell you what
Grandcamp: ok, so the government might be negligent for blowing up a whole US port and killing hundreds of its own people, but you can't legally force us to pay out damages
Liberty: Look, mistakes happen, and Israel paid the families of the dead...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

US Navy and a sampling of ship mishaps:

Bonhomme: just some dude did it!
Iowa: Gay guy did it for gay reasons!
Maddox: okay, so it never even caught fire, but it was those damned North Vietnamese guys anyway!
Maine: Cuba, I tell you what
Grandcamp: ok, so the government might be negligent for blowing up a whole US port and killing hundreds of its own people, but you can't legally force us to pay out damages
Liberty: Look, mistakes happen, and Israel paid the families of the dead...

Liberty was a small price to pay for Freedom

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

pretty much i guess. low rank scrubs are always set to chipping paint ever since wood decks stopped being a thing

my understanding of the navy is that unless you have an actual skill then 99% of your job as a low ranking enlisted man will be cleaning, chipping paint, and painting

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Forrestal:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

One of the only times a plane blew the gently caress up for dumb reasons with McCain around that weren't actually due to McCain himself. His mere presence incites planes to self-destruct.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Probably should stick to the "Russia is a terrorist state" angle
https://twitter.com/procrast4ever/status/1599818052673032192

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah the Navy tried to blame the Iowa blowing up on gay sex, no surprise they'd try it again

look, if you take away the rum and the lash sooner or later the sodomy will reach critical mass and spontaneously detonate

many certified boat understanders agree on this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

One of the only times a plane blew the gently caress up for dumb reasons with McCain around that weren't actually due to McCain himself. His mere presence incites planes to self-destruct.

john mccain: you are already dead
f-4: nani?!?!?!?!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Its not gay underway its just two shipmates swabbing decks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wish I had a big military plane, even if it was broken like this one. Could probably sell it and get a smaller plane that isn't broken.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Definitely not, I just think it's funny to look at it and say "it'll buff out."

You are a liar and full of it.

Also, there is damage to the wing itself as well as the cowling as I said.

Slavvy posted:

Ukraine losing countless thousands of men and exhausting the surplus armories of all Europe: debatable if it's good or bad, citations needed

Russia possibly losing a big plane on the ground: catastrophic for Russia

Don’t give him a possibly

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Dec 6, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Yup, and the US Navy was unsuccessful in criminally pinning the blame on one young sailor. They've a bad habit of hunting for one dude they feel like blaming for generally mismanaged safety disasters. https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/09/30/sailor-found-not-guilty-of-setting-fire-that-destroyed-ship/

geez can you imagine what an awful position we'd be in if the whole country worked like this just blaming one guy for literally every problem and acting like all our problems are solved once hes gone

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

You are a liar and full of it.

Also, there is damage to the wing itself as well as the cowling as I said.

Lying about what? You just seemed confused about airplane anatomy and metal.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin's pig iron planes

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Lying about what? You just seemed confused about airplane anatomy and metal.

That anyone in this thread said it would buff out, dingus. drat read son.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think they can just buff it out

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

That anyone in this thread said it would buff out, dingus. drat read son.

oh sorry. I understand that you did not write the words “it will buff out.”

I should have stopped when you were confused about what and where wings are. Didn’t mean to impugn your understanding of buffers.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my little monotonous pedant 08

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It will not in fact buff out. Ivan is going to have to bend some sheet metal too.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

john mccain: you are already dead
f-4: nani?!?!?!?!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

oh sorry. I understand that you did not write the words “it will buff out.”

I should have stopped when you were confused about what and where wings are. Didn’t mean to impugn your understanding of buffers.

So you don’t think the wing or any part connected to it was damaged just to be clear. Because otherwise none of what you are jabbering about makes any sense.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the horizontal stabilizer does produce lift so the terminology “wing” is accepted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHqGnYpbzV4

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The problem with the level of, let’s be charitable and call it detail, is that I have to go back to the inciting incident, sometimes a page or more, to figure out what’s even being argued by the time it’s gotten to arguments about ousía and physis.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
yo at least we dont got fishmech in here ok

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

So you don’t think the wing or any part connected to it was damaged just to be clear.

No, why do you think that? Airplanes are interconnected, and the wingtips of a TU-22M3 are rather near to the aft of the aircraft, where we can clearly see that both horizontal stabs were torn up and shorn, as well as the engines and portions of the tail assembly getting hit. I'd be surprised if there wasn't any damage to the wing.

I just thought this was a very funny claim to make, given the photos we have:

Ardennes posted:

From the damage it looks like it is repairable though and the damage was primary to the wing from the various shots released.

I bet a lot of components on this particular Backfire are damaged. That tends to happen when the rear end end of a plane gets shorn off. I would bet it has all kinds of damage, including the tail assembly, engines, probably that port-side wing, etc.

e: removed images of a broken truck and aircraft tail

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Dec 6, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the rear end end of the plane being “shorn” off implies something very different but rather it does very much look like repairable damage, even if portions of the wing and the the entirety of the horizontal stabilizer need to be replaced.

It doesn’t look like it is totaled, but the truck was.

The Ukrainians are going to need more strikes, this isn’t it. They may also start upping harassment and discrimination of civilians.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Dec 6, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Doesn't appear to be any frame damage... should be able to fly home no problemo

It'll buff out

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is kind of a moot point as 500 Tu-22Ms were built to 140 Tu-141s lol. Even with perfect precisions Ukraine would run out of drones to strike the bomber bases with before Russia ran out of bombers.

This is a vengeance weapon thing, a sensational attack to grab the news cycle just like Dugina, Sevastopol, the Crimea bridge etc.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Doesn't appear to be any frame damage... should be able to fly home no problemo

It'll buff out

this. goon milnerds don't have orc bravery

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
At this rate, Russia will have as few operable aircraft as Ukraine by the end of the decade

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

This is kind of a moot point as 500 Tu-22Ms were built to 140 Tu-141s lol. Even with perfect precisions Ukraine would run out of drones to strike the bomber bases with before Russia ran out of bombers.

This is a vengeance weapon thing, a sensational attack to grab the news cycle just like Dugina, Sevastopol, the Crimea bridge etc.

Yeah, but it is important to fight for accuracy of claims from both sides or it ends up as complete nonsense.

But yeah it is a vengeance attack, the Ukrainians be running out of steam on the ground. The problem is what that opens up including possibly in other theaters like the Balkans or the Caucasus.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Russia has dozens, not hundreds of TU-22M-series in service. To get to 500, you have to count some cool looking but very out of service earlier models in the count, which are in museums, graveyards, crashed, scrapped, etc.

But good news for Ukraine, they already destroyed at least 60 TU-22s left behind in Ukraine when the USSR fell apart in a great blow to their numbers! Ukraine can retroactively credit themselves with those as aerial victories.

Early type TU-22s looked good in a retro way:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well I am sure the Russians completely trashed every part of those t-22s and have absolutely no parts or way to replace any part of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

this. goon milnerds don't have orc bravery

If they believe it will fly, it will!