Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
God ADOM rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Based on all those posts I have this to say:

ADOM sucks and anyone who says otherwise is a doody-face.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Waltzing Along posted:

git gud, newb

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waltzing Along posted:

read the wiki

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That game looks like poo poo

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Alien Isolation is better than System Shock 2

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

tango alpha delta posted:

Alien Isolation is better than System Shock 2

I'd hope so, they had 15 years of practice to make a better game in the same style.

See also: Whey I hate all these godawful faux retro games that are just making a worse version of something we had in the 90's.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Even if Alien Isolation wasn't so polished it wins because i don't have to upgrade some very specific skills unlike System Shock 2 where if you don't specialize, you are pretty much hosed

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm playing Landstalker. I would like to play Dark Savior and a bunch of other Saturn poo poo before I die.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

replaying the outer worlds and the character animation is pretty good?!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
whoa poo poo i forgot outer worlds existed at all

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I found it to be very very boring, even though it looks like something I enjoy. The sense of humor was a bit too lame too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's a self-contained fallout 4 expansion to me

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The main issue I remember having with it is that doing even just a little bit of exploration made me overpowered and completely trivialised the combat. One of the worst balanced games I've played in a long time.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

jokes posted:

It's a self-contained fallout 4 expansion to me

that's exactly what it looked like

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its clear to me now that Chris Avellone and David "Zeb" Cook were the real talent behind Fallout

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Aramis posted:

The main issue I remember having with it is that doing even just a little bit of exploration made me overpowered and completely trivialised the combat. One of the worst balanced games I've played in a long time.

Only Final Fantasy 1-12 understood the Correct Rate of Progression for making the game feel balanced.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Aside from ruby and emerald is there a single challenging fight at any point in ff7?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Aside from ruby and emerald is there a single challenging fight at any point in ff7?

No, or any RPG

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yeah those golden saucer mini games are more challenging than any ruby whatever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
oh an ice goblin i wonder what spell i'll cast on that! this is an advanced strategy :downs:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I seem to recall some of the fights in BoF 3 were pretty brutal, but also i might have been 11.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxed Safer Sephiroth can be a bit tough for some values of tough but I think the only ff with puzzles embed in its fighting system is FF10 with the monster arena and side-quests, ff7 is really on the easy side of jrpgs and jrpgs are already sort of easy.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

dudes in Final Fantasy Tactics can straight up end the fight before your first turn, now that's how I like my games balanced

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nae posted:

dudes in Final Fantasy Tactics can straight up end the fight before your first turn, now that's how I like my games balanced

FF2 had some longass dungeons with wizards that would cast instadeath-all and it was some serious :owned:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is the best video games thread. All the threads in the VG forum are trash.

girl befriender
Sep 22, 2014

by vyelkin

kntfkr posted:

I'm playing Landstalker. I would like to play Dark Savior and a bunch of other Saturn poo poo before I die.

the worst thing about dark savior is the gameplay is so janky you want to be drunk or stoned while playing it but the story is all meta and twin peakish so you have to pay attention to get anything out of it. very locked as a game for my teens personally.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

FF2 had some longass dungeons with wizards that would cast instadeath-all and it was some serious :owned:

lol that rules, that's the totally unfair bullshit i crave in a game

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Is the new Tactics Ogre remake good or did they go too far and poo poo it up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

Is the new Tactics Ogre remake good or did they go too far and poo poo it up

It’s really good

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is it full price good?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm so bad at tactics rpgs. I just can't do them. I don't know what it is about them, my brain can't handle them.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I love them. When they're made well, anyway. They can be slow and tedious if not.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nae posted:

lol that rules, that's the totally unfair bullshit i crave in a game

If memory serves a lot of the late game enemies were dodge or die with multi hit attacks that had a chance of death each hit. This created a system where the player was encouraged to dual wield shields early on because the only way to raise agility was to dodge hits. If you didn't do this, you would find your characters getting instant killed over and over again because gently caress all that hp and defense they grew instead.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best RPGs are unironically the ones that are a broken confusing incoherent mess and you have to win by obtusely exploiting the system.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

kntfkr posted:

That was my favorite on the MD with Story of Thor. A long time ago I did a playthrough where I didn't pick up any hearts except the ones in the shops and then bought the restocking ones in the last town until I had 99. That way you can overflow the health cap by picking up the treasure chest hearts you avoided afterwards and then kill the last dragon boss with 2-3 hits or so lol (your damage output is tied to the heart counter)

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
FF8 is the worst and the best rpg yeah

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm so bad at tactics rpgs. I just can't do them. I don't know what it is about them, my brain can't handle them.

Same, the only one that ever worked for me was Vandal Hearts.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FF8 was the worst because it was like 3 bad JRPG games glued together, and no "but it's so easy to break!" is not a point in its favor. The card game was pretty decent though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FF8 was also the worst because it was a huge letdown after FF7. Like imagine you're a child and you play this cool dieselpunk game, right out of the gate it's about rebels committing eco-terrorism against an evil corporation. And then the sequel to that is a game about being an emo kid going to school who has trouble talking to girls, and you have dreams about being a dude with PTSD.