Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Grognan posted:

ok why is the mc's name Lolilyuri is this a joke?

I have no idea why the author decided to do that but I can at least say it's not indicative of the rest of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I saw that one recommended elsewhere recently, went to go read it, and laughed at the name as I remembered the discussion in this thread a few months back. “Oh right, this is the one where the character is named Pedd O. Phile.”

I’ve got low standards, but not that low.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I wonder if the authors are just that clueless how many people will bounce off a series due to something like this. Remember that series with the main character literally called Opie MC or something dumb like that?

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Bremen posted:

Jackal Among Snakes is one of those stories with a premise (game wiki editor ends up stuck in the game and uses his inside knowledge to change everything) that sounds like it can't possibly make an actual good, as opposed to at best mindless entertainment, story. But somehow it finds a way. It's got some great worldbuilding while also actually sticking close enough you can definitely tell how it's a world based on a (fictional) game, not just the author arbitrarily saying it was a game.

Also tried this recently after previously skipping it due to the awful sounding premise and was pleasantly surprised (at least through chapter 120). Feels like the author is actually a pretty good writer instead of one I have to put up with.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bremen posted:

I have no idea why the author decided to do that but I can at least say it's not indicative of the rest of the story.

actually since the first chapter's name actually points to it, I cannot think of a way this actually works out well except I am supposed to ignore it to enjoy the text

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ah, this discussion again.

It's literally just her name, she goes by Lori most of the time, the character is actually ace/aro and the child characters have no romantic scenes at all. The character does have two mothers, so it may have been intended to mean 'child of lesbians' rather than 'lesbian child'.

But at the same time, it's a really awkward name/joke the author should probably rewrite.

The main issue with the series is that it's REALLY slow, even for slice-of-life settlement-building webnovel stuff. It can take ten chapters just carving a basement.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Elfface posted:

Ah, this discussion again.

It's literally just her name, she goes by Lori most of the time, the character is actually ace/aro and the child characters have no romantic scenes at all. The character does have two mothers, so it may have been intended to mean 'child of lesbians' rather than 'lesbian child'.

But at the same time, it's a really awkward name/joke the author should probably rewrite.

The main issue with the series is that it's REALLY slow, even for slice-of-life settlement-building webnovel stuff. It can take ten chapters just carving a basement.

If the author just did a find/replace on the name would it change any plot stuff?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nope. At least not before the point I got bored with it. There's a few mentions of it being hard to pronounce is all.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

If you are looking for more 'transmigrated into a game with knowledge about it', try out Tori Transmigrated. It's quite different, very heavily slice of life, but I love it.

Memoirs of Your Local Small-time Villainess is newer, much more similar to Jackal Among Snakes. Well written I think, but not as gripping.

I've been wondering though, are there any good stories in this style written about real games, or is that to risky from a copyright perspective ?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Finally read Katalepsis and... I caught up and I need more, it's great
The whole cast is great, praem ended up way better than I thought she would, and the Library of Carcosa and King in Yellow arcs are probably my favourite arcs so far. But it's a close fav, there's a lot of good moments everywhere. King in Yellow arc was one hell of a rendition of a 'fae' realm holy poo poo. I also loved the bit when Twil's home turned into a haunted house and Heather was just like 'ugh, not this again'.
But yeah book good

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

MonikaTSarn posted:

I've been wondering though, are there any good stories in this style written about real games, or is that to risky from a copyright perspective ?

None that I'd recommend, but most recently one that was trending on RR was one where the main character gets the power to summon Starcraft units (with costs scaled up so as to make it non-trivial to nuke the enemies). And offhand I know there are a gajillion Pokemon ones. If there's an actual... decent, I don't even need good, just decent--fic like this I'd read it. Is there an Elden Ring one?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MonikaTSarn posted:

That's just fanfic. There is a lot of it, but you can't really monetize it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Argue posted:

None that I'd recommend, but most recently one that was trending on RR was one where the main character gets the power to summon Starcraft units (with costs scaled up so as to make it non-trivial to nuke the enemies). And offhand I know there are a gajillion Pokemon ones. If there's an actual... decent, I don't even need good, just decent--fic like this I'd read it. Is there an Elden Ring one?

There's an official Elden Ring manga where the protagonist is an isekai'd gamer. I'm not kidding.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The only two fanfics i read regularly are both pokemon fanfics from the same guy, Borne of Desire and Born of Caution.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Divine Comedy

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elfface posted:

The character does have two mothers, so it may have been intended to mean 'child of lesbians' rather than 'lesbian child'.

..."loli" is not a general-purpose word for "child" :psyduck:

It derives from "Lolita", aka that book by Nabokov.

You might as well name someone Underagegirlongirl

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only explanation i can offer for demense is that the author has a severe case of extreme anime poisoning and felt the need to tell everyone first even though the rest of the book has basically nothing to do with typical anime stuff.

their other work is some kind of genre fusion Sentai thing. so whatever they have going on is deep.

also, the world and ideas of demense are cool, but the main character is just exhausting to deal with. like i think they're supposed to be autistic or something? I don't know. all i know is they flip flop between coming off as written ultra flat or legitimately missing part of the human experience, and not really in a compelling way- It's just feels like there's never anything to talk about besides stuff people built with magic and the wizard protagonist saying my way or the highway with various levels of implied or actual threat.

anyway i read it for a while and dropped it because it just never went anywhere. if you're gonna write a slice of life it needs a protagonist who feels emotions besides irritation and frustration.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 6, 2022

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

BadMedic posted:

Finally read Katalepsis and... I caught up and I need more, it's great
The whole cast is great, praem ended up way better than I thought she would, and the Library of Carcosa and King in Yellow arcs are probably my favourite arcs so far. But it's a close fav, there's a lot of good moments everywhere. King in Yellow arc was one hell of a rendition of a 'fae' realm holy poo poo. I also loved the bit when Twil's home turned into a haunted house and Heather was just like 'ugh, not this again'.
But yeah book good

Hey, thanks! I say this a lot but it's always nice to hear from people who've enjoyed the story so far.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Megazver posted:

That's just fanfic. There is a lot of it, but you can't really monetize it.

it's swooping awfully close to the sun but you can definitely get patreon money for fanfic

the phrase Super Mario Isekai has certainly jangled around in my brain from time to time

edit: shyguy, flyguy, isekaiguy

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 6, 2022

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

Hungry posted:

Hey, thanks! I say this a lot but it's always nice to hear from people who've enjoyed the story so far.

I also found it funny how you've slowly ramped up how... blatant the trans themes are. Like from a one off 'her poncho was blue white and pink' in the first few chapters to one of the characters straight up saying "Lozzie? You mean the girl in the trans flag poncho?" in the more recent ones (I imagine all the characters in the scene staring into the camera for a second after that line)
When I read the clothes shopping scene I imagined you leaning close to the mic and going "And this one's for all the trans girls in the audience".

BTW what's your plans for releasing further volumes in ebook/audio form? I have a friend who prefers audiobooks and doesn't really like reading from a screen.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

..."loli" is not a general-purpose word for "child" :psyduck:

It derives from "Lolita", aka that book by Nabokov.

You might as well name someone Underagegirlongirl

I know that, but I've encountered people who only knew the term through anime and thought 'goth lolita' fashion was the first use of the term.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

BadMedic posted:

I also found it funny how you've slowly ramped up how... blatant the trans themes are. Like from a one off 'her poncho was blue white and pink' in the first few chapters to one of the characters straight up saying "Lozzie? You mean the girl in the trans flag poncho?" in the more recent ones (I imagine all the characters in the scene staring into the camera for a second after that line)
When I read the clothes shopping scene I imagined you leaning close to the mic and going "And this one's for all the trans girls in the audience".

BTW what's your plans for releasing further volumes in ebook/audio form? I have a friend who prefers audiobooks and doesn't really like reading from a screen.

Back when i started the story I was very nervous about including the trans themes, but they're essential to the core of the narrative, so I'm glad I ended up doing so. A majority of my 'core' audience (patrons and readers on the discord) are trans women. So, hooray!

There's four more ebooks/audiobooks on the way. Podium signed up to do five books total. I'm currently editing the second volume from the serial chapters, but it's taking me A While, seeing as I'm writing two stories at the same time now. Hopefully before summer 23!

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Hungry posted:

Back when i started the story I was very nervous about including the trans themes, but they're essential to the core of the narrative, so I'm glad I ended up doing so. A majority of my 'core' audience (patrons and readers on the discord) are trans women. So, hooray!

There's four more ebooks/audiobooks on the way. Podium signed up to do five books total. I'm currently editing the second volume from the serial chapters, but it's taking me A While, seeing as I'm writing two stories at the same time now. Hopefully before summer 23!

Just wondering if you've gotten any backlash over trans themes?

I've had a fairly violent backlash on a recent chapter, was wondering what your experience was

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Selkie Myth posted:

Just wondering if you've gotten any backlash over trans themes?

I've had a fairly violent backlash on a recent chapter, was wondering what your experience was

Nope! The worst I ever seem to get is the occasional "why are all the characters women? where are the men?!" comment, usually earlier in the story. I've never gotten a lovely comment about trans themes, gender stuff, lesbians, or anything like that; I chalk this up to Katalepsis being clearly labelled and signposted as lesbian fiction, so most people who bother to read the first few arcs are already on board.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Hungry posted:

Nope! The worst I ever seem to get is the occasional "why are all the characters women? where are the men?!" comment, usually earlier in the story. I've never gotten a lovely comment about trans themes, gender stuff, lesbians, or anything like that; I chalk this up to Katalepsis being clearly labelled and signposted as lesbian fiction, so most people who bother to read the first few arcs are already on board.

That's good to hear, I'm glad that your audience is supportive! I suppose it's harder to get into Katalepsis without knowing what you're signing up for. I do sometimes wonder if authors of stories that are more stealthy about trans inclusion get comparatively more grief for it. Like Quill & Still, where the references are pretty obvious to "Fans of Celeste" as the author calls them, but might easily slide by unnoticed for most other people.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bee Bonk posted:

That's good to hear, I'm glad that your audience is supportive! I suppose it's harder to get into Katalepsis without knowing what you're signing up for. I do sometimes wonder if authors of stories that are more stealthy about trans inclusion get comparatively more grief for it. Like Quill & Still, where the references are pretty obvious to "Fans of Celeste" as the author calls them, but might easily slide by unnoticed for most other people.

For what it's worth, I didn't pick up on the trans themes in Katalepsis, though I didn't get very far in (nothing wrong with the story, but at the time some aspects of what was going on with the sister were not what I wanted to deal with).

That's just the trans stuff though, I can't imagine anyone not picking up on the lesbian elements, though somehow people always find ways to surprise me.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
A scattering of very short web fiction reviews. If your capped on all the good stuff the thread is already talking about, the stories lower down on this list might interest you.
It's bad. The prose is bad, the characterization is bad, the politics are bad. In the authors own words in the opening blurb, if you are "offended over opinions you don't agree with" (subtext: the authors racism and sexism) this story isn't for you. Not worth your time. It has ads splattered all over RR right now.
LitRPG conscripted-military magic school. The novel is holding its cards close to its chest on what it thinks of the fashy "meritocratic" conscript school, while having the villains be evil communists who want to murder all magicians to create equality. The prose for the first ten chapters is pretty bad, but eventually improves to mediocrity. Not worth your time.
Litrpg Magical girl horror, and exactly what you'd expect from the genre. Do you like worm levels of children been sad? You might like it. I'm not really a fan. This is #1 in best ongoing on RR right now, so you may be interested in reading it just for cultural object reasons.

quote:

Cyber Dreams & Electric Angels [LitRPG & Progression Cyberpunk]
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/60284/cyber-dreams-electric-angels-litrpg-progression
It says right on the tin what it is. It's okay, I guess, if your into this specific genre? I'm really uninspired to talk about this despite having read 20 chapters, like any review is so totally superfluous as you already know what it is. #2 on best ongoing on RR right now, somehow. Some talented marketing behind it IMO, I'm intensely curious how its been so algorithmically successful so quickly.
Magical girl horror, and exactly what you'd expect from the genre. Do you like interesting and scary monsters, and are willing to tolerate below worm levels of children been sad? You'll like it. The prose is genuinely good during the horror segments, and passable elsewhere. The monsters get great characterization. I like the monsters.
Decent young adult superhero fiction. It's main crime is that after a while it starts meandering about in typical web fiction outlasting its premise fashion, but its opening is strong enough. You'll have a decent time with this!

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

Rob Filter posted:

Summus Prolium
https://ceruleanscrawling.wordpress.com/2019/03/04/discovery-1-01-summus-proelium/
Decent young adult superhero fiction. It's main crime is that after a while it starts meandering about in typical web fiction outlasting its premise fashion, but its opening is strong enough. You'll have a decent time with this!

Honestly I can't bring myself to read this due to his other story, Heretical Edge.
Edge isn't even a bad story per se, I enjoyed reading until I dropped it, but...
Dear god the author just kept tossing in story elements and plot points and cool scenes and sideplots and... with zero thought to how bloated the story was getting. He straight up can't end a side plot, it always has to escalate into yet another bigger sideplot. Like each chapter on it's own is fine, but all together at least 2/3rds of 'book one' should have been either deferred to later 'books' or just not included in the story altogether.
The baseline structure of the story is 'Girl goes to Magic High School, each book is one year'
The plot at the beginning of 'book one' is "Gotta go to magic school, to find the necromancer who took my mom"
The plot at the end of 'book one' is "OK I'm on the run from the Evil Galactic Empire, also I started Wizard Civil War Part 2, and the necromancer who took my mom is a galactic hyper-criminal who regularly deletes planets." Like holy poo poo leave some escalation for the rest of the series goddamn.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Systemic Lands loving sucks lol

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

BadMedic posted:

Honestly I can't bring myself to read this due to his other story, Heretical Edge.
Edge isn't even a bad story per se, I enjoyed reading until I dropped it, but...
Dear god the author just kept tossing in story elements and plot points and cool scenes and sideplots and... with zero thought to how bloated the story was getting. He straight up can't end a side plot, it always has to escalate into yet another bigger sideplot. Like each chapter on it's own is fine, but all together at least 2/3rds of 'book one' should have been either deferred to later 'books' or just not included in the story altogether.
The baseline structure of the story is 'Girl goes to Magic High School, each book is one year'
The plot at the beginning of 'book one' is "Gotta go to magic school, to find the necromancer who took my mom"
The plot at the end of 'book one' is "OK I'm on the run from the Evil Galactic Empire, also I started Wizard Civil War Part 2, and the necromancer who took my mom is a galactic hyper-criminal who regularly deletes planets." Like holy poo poo leave some escalation for the rest of the series goddamn.
I tried and failed to read heretical edge as well, I bounced off the prose.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Systemic Lands loving sucks lol
Systemic Lands loving sucks lmao

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Rob Filter posted:

I tried and failed to read heretical edge as well, I bounced off the prose.

Systemic Lands loving sucks lmao

I dropped Heretical Edge for the same reason as OP, but Summus Prolieum(sp) is a pretty fun take on the superhero genre and the powers are fun and mostly avoid the “flying brick” stereotype. Paintball is a fun protagonist with a creative power set who is surrounded with a pretty memorable cast. I agree it is a little unfocused right now, but it’s a fun read.

Haha Systemic Lands is so bad that I read it for a while out of macabre fascination with its badness.

One that I’m liking right now is “Dawn of the Void” which is a sort-of take on the LitRPG apocalypse but instead of cute mythical fantasy races it’s demons and horror and grimdark all the way down.

Another one is “Psycho Duel Revelations: [A Deckbuilding LitRPG Apocalypse]”, which I started reading on a whim because I figured anything with that stupid of a name would be hilariously bad, but it’s actually pretty decent, engages with its concept well, and has had some pretty good action so far. The Earth is being used as a battleground/playground for psychotic players of a Yi-Gi-Oh type game from an alternate Earth which is being broadcast to the home dimension as entertainment.

navyjack fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 7, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
For some reason I just can’t get into system apocalypse stories. They just seem like a silly premise to me. I’m not sure what it is, as I can enjoy “and then superheroes appeared!” and can overlook lots of other ridiculous setting ideas.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

nrook posted:

For some reason I just can’t get into system apocalypse stories. They just seem like a silly premise to me. I’m not sure what it is, as I can enjoy “and then superheroes appeared!” and can overlook lots of other ridiculous setting ideas.

Dungeon crawler carl was good until it got bad.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Summus Prolium is wormfic with the serial numbers filed off. The author wrote a bunch of worm fanfic before writing it and then basically wrote more of the same but without the constraints of having to fit into worm's story.

I found it entertaining for a while. It's a decent read until you get bored with it story.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

My main problem with Heretical Edge- not the only problem, but the one that wore me down- was that it seemed to have exactly one emotional beat- reunion with estranged family members- and it hammered on it like its life depended on it. Couldn't go an arc without someone finding their long-lost something or other. It was repetitive and exhausting.

The escalation, I mean hell I think I would have enjoyed that if not for everything else. Always like a good bit of absurd escalation, if the author doesn't write themselves into a corner.

e: I hate you fuckers, because now I'm thinking of Heretical Edge and where I left off and wondering what, exactly, happened with that galactic war and whatever.

I'm going to talk myself into finishing it and I'll be miserable the whole time, I can already tell.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 7, 2022

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Affi posted:

Dungeon crawler carl was good until it got bad.

Until it got bad how?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

My main problem with Heretical Edge- not the only problem, but the one that wore me down- was that it seemed to have exactly one emotional beat- reunion with estranged family members- and it hammered on it like its life depended on it. Couldn't go an arc without someone finding their long-lost something or other. It was repetitive and exhausting.

The escalation, I mean hell I think I would have enjoyed that if not for everything else. Always like a good bit of absurd escalation, if the author doesn't write themselves into a corner.

e: I hate you fuckers, because now I'm thinking of Heretical Edge and where I left off and wondering what, exactly, happened with that galactic war and whatever.

I'm going to talk myself into finishing it and I'll be miserable the whole time, I can already tell.

They ran into goku as he released his built up bullshit and were accidentally incinerated. No one noticed or cared. Hey this button makes donuts.

There you go, now you don’t have to go read bad stories.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

OK you got me thinking about it again, and I remembered my other big complaint:
In the story wizards grow in power by killing magic beings. Doing so both increases their power in general, and gives them some form of ability from the creature they killed.
So a powerful experienced wizard has a nearly endless number of powers at their disposal, and this is a really bad setup for fights?

Like with a good fight scene, you want to set up audience expectations then subvert them in a (usually foreshadowed) way. But when basically all major opponents can just pull any power out of their rear end, at will, it just feels bad cause the fight is just an endless series of random abilities out of nowhere.
The novel mostly avoided this by just rarely having fights with other wizards, but I doubt the fights that do eventually happen will actually be interesting to read.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Summus proelium is better than heretical edge (I think I made it up to the end of year 1 but didn't read the epilogues, but up to that was largely an exercise of endurance) but after reading SP over the last couple of weeks it feels like it has the same problem I've seen in a lot of Cerulean's other stuff, which is that the approach seems to be setting up more and more spinning plates at every opportunity. The pieces seem fine moment-to-moment, but once there are so many things happening at once (with almost completely new things constantly cropping up that throw up more plates) things start to lose their narrative weight.

Also the coincidences that drive the plots would probably give a victorian author pause, and they did things like having frankenstein's monster find a bunch of books in the forest to explain why he could read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm starting to think that most LitRPGs, and serials with LitRPG elements, should stop listing out character build options. It doesn't matter what choice the character picks, there's going to be someone who thinks it was the wrong choice. Just have the character make the choice the writer wants, and move forward.