Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Government Handjob posted:

Changeling update: faking injury didn't come into play, we started out being magically kidnapped and placed in a prison cell. Our characters were strangers with no connection to each other, and the cells previous occupants were still there in the form of very old skeletons, most of their possessions lost to rot and decay.

The DM asked all of us privately to describe our character, and map out a regular Tuesday morning. He then chose a particular moment in that description and told us to adjust our inventory to what we would reasonably be wearing or carrying at the time.

A lot of time went into improvising spell components and weapons as we broke out of the cell and made our way through the dungeon to an old mansion before fighting the fey rear end in a top hat who got his kicks watching it all.

DM warned us beforehand that this would be different from how we normally play, and that some of us may get an unfair disadvantage to begin with and hooboy playing a bard-lock without an instrument or arcane focus or even a weapon sure was challenging.

When I was kidnapped I materialized in the cell completely naked, hair full of shampoo, singing to the rubber duck I held in one hand and using a luffa as a microphone. I turned to see the other characters, sighed and said "drat it, I liked this persona" and turned my nether regions as smooth as a Ken doll.

On the bright side, at least eldritch blast needs no components

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Mr. Lobe posted:

On the bright side, at least eldritch blast needs no components

And boy am I glad I multi-classed or my only viable ranged attack would have been vicious mockery, I leaned heavily into utility and social spells for my horny secret agent.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Second Monstrous Compendium for Dragonlance creatures.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/claim/source/mcv2?icid_source=house-ads&icid_medium=mcv2&icid_campaign=redemption

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Major Isoor posted:

:golfclap: very nice

Personally, I'd allow it - even with fake glistening blood congealing around the protruding bone, if they want to go that far.
They wouldn't be able to have any dripping blood though, so the ground around them would be pristine instead of them leaving bloody footprints/a pool of blood around, so there might be a chance the person they're tricking will pick up on that

That part of the injury is the easiest to fake! Just stab yourself with an improvised weapon for 1d4 slashing damage. It's fine, it will completely heal up by morning.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

That part of the injury is the easiest to fake! Just stab yourself with an improvised weapon for 1d4 slashing damage. It's fine, it will completely heal up by morning.

Actually, that's very true - I'd somehow forgotten about the wonders of a good night's sleep! :D

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

According to the notifications on my phone they're giving stuff away every day until the 24th, which is cool if I read that right.

E: yes they are: https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1130-d-d-adventure-calendar-2022-ring-in-the-holidays

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just a quick word of thanks to the thread for being an awesome resource! I recently bit the bullet on joining an IRL D&D club, something I've wanted to do for a long time and a bit outside of comfort zone. Up until now, my only experience playing D&D are a couple of session of 3e D&D 20 years back with some work buddies. Picking that up again has been on my would-be-nice list for a long time. I didn't read the complete thread, just the first and last 100 pages or so, but I learned a great deal about many aspects about the game.

We're going to start with the LMoP campaign at level1; I'm playing a dwarven Forge cleric. Most of the group is new to D&D, and it's the DM's first time too.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

sixth and maimed posted:

Just a quick word of thanks to the thread for being an awesome resource! I recently bit the bullet on joining an IRL D&D club, something I've wanted to do for a long time and a bit outside of comfort zone. Up until now, my only experience playing D&D are a couple of session of 3e D&D 20 years back with some work buddies. Picking that up again has been on my would-be-nice list for a long time. I didn't read the complete thread, just the first and last 100 pages or so, but I learned a great deal about many aspects about the game.

We're going to start with the LMoP campaign at level1; I'm playing a dwarven Forge cleric. Most of the group is new to D&D, and it's the DM's first time too.

That's great! It's always awesome to see someone be inspired! I hope you have a lot of fun, with it and the Forge Cleric is a strong class!

If you have any newbie questions feel free to ask them!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
It's December 6th, so both Shadow of the Dragon Queen as well as DM's Guild sourcebooks are out to the public.

Speaking of the latter, I already have my eyes on two bigger ones (Dragonlance Companion and Revised Tasslehoff's Pouches of Everything), but there's some smaller sourcebooks out now.

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts about 5e Dragonlance both unofficial and fanmade.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Libertad! posted:

It's December 6th, so both Shadow of the Dragon Queen as well as DM's Guild sourcebooks are out to the public.

Speaking of the latter, I already have my eyes on two bigger ones (Dragonlance Companion and Revised Tasslehoff's Pouches of Everything), but there's some smaller sourcebooks out now.

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts about 5e Dragonlance both unofficial and fanmade.

I'd also be interested. I've historically found fanmade Dragonlance stuff to be, uh, well below "subpar," so if there's worthwhile material in these that'd be really cool.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Now you made me think about a changeling that cosmetically heals damage taken just to gently caress with opponents.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

Now you made me think about a changeling that cosmetically heals damage taken just to gently caress with opponents.

I would fake a horrific injury from the first hit and fall over "dead". Then get up and attack from behind :twisted:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

disaster pastor posted:

I'd also be interested. I've historically found fanmade Dragonlance stuff to be, uh, well below "subpar," so if there's worthwhile material in these that'd be really cool.

So right now I noticed that there's 2 separate categories for "Dragonlance" on the DM's Guild. Dragonlance under Storyline and Dragonlance under Setting. Storyline has 120 products while Setting has 98.

There's already over 30 community content Dragonlance products, but a huge amount look to be those "make a quick buck with a dozen pages" sourcebooks which don't feel me with confidence. And there's a few which don't look to be Dragonlance-related at all but just got grouped under the tag anyway. The only ones which really stand out in looking like proper projects that have been worked on for a while are those 2 I mentioned in the post you quoted plus the Aesthetics Guide to Ansalon series which originated as a two-year running Reddit project. I'd give it at least a month or two before we see more content of a similar caliber and not the inevitable shovelware-looking stuff clogging up the page.

I picked up Tasslehoff's Pouches and Dragonlance Companion which I'm reading now. I don't know if I'll review them for FATAL & Friends or not.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Except there is no "Playing War" section. The digital version doesn't have this verbiage so I'm assuming it didn't survive some edit somewhere and this was accidentally left in?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I came to realize that I really don't care for the Dragonlance setting.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

PicklePants posted:

That's great! It's always awesome to see someone be inspired! I hope you have a lot of fun, with it and the Forge Cleric is a strong class!

If you have any newbie questions feel free to ask them!

Thank you! First session is tomorrow and I'm pretty stoked.

I was going to play as a fighter first (to keep it simple), but switched to cleric after reading this thread. The other party members are halfling rogue, half-elf ranger, dwarven bard and dwarven mage. This thread has provided good advice in what to look for in a good DM/game, and so far things are looking positive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

YggdrasilTM posted:

I came to realize that I really don't care for the Dragonlance setting.

Yeah, gimme Mystara! :argh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, gimme Mystara! :argh:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Anyone have some fun ideas for dual wielding magic items or weapons? I’m drawing blanks for the most part and would like to give something to a rogue swashbuckler.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fishbus posted:

Anyone have some fun ideas for dual wielding magic items or weapons? I’m drawing blanks for the most part and would like to give something to a rogue swashbuckler.

A pair of twinned +1 weapons that, when touched together, blast a 30 foot cone of 3d10 force damage on a failed dexterity save of DC 15--half damage on success. Until next dawn they lose their +1 bonus after doing so. You could call them antipodal weapons.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fishbus posted:

Have the offhand weapon be a parrying dagger, and give it a magical parrying ability. Perhaps simply the Battlemaster "Parry" ability with X uses per day and a fixed maneuver die size, or be a little more exotic and have it do something crazy like add a +5 to a +10 to the wielder's AC for a whole round, at the cost of a point of exhaustion as the dagger whips around in a flurry of parrying strikes while the wielder can barely hang on. Maybe the exhaustion cost only occurs on a failed STR or CON save.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fishbus posted:

Melpomene and Thalia

Engraved on the pommel of each of these twin blades is a mask, one crying in utter despair and the other resplendent with joy. These blades are dedicated to the god of drama and theater, and are used by their wielders to draw out these emotions in those struck.

Melpomene
Is a +1 shortsword with the following properties:
*Dramatic Tragedy-On hit the wielder may expend a charge to assault the wounded enemy with visions of their goals and ambitions coming to ironic and humiliating ends. That enemy makes a DC 17 Charisma Save and on a failure is frightened until the end of the wielder's next turn.
* Melpomene starts with 1d6+1 charges and restores 1d6 charges at nightfall.

Thalia
Is a +1 shortsword with the following properties:
*Dramatic Comedy-On hit the wielder may expend a charge to shower a cascade of joyous visions and emotions on the wounded enemy. That enemy makes a DC 17 Wisdom Save and on a failure is stunned until the end of the wielders next turn.
*Thalia starts with 1d6+1 charges and restores 1d6 charges at dawn.

Further if an enemy is both frightened by the Dramatic Tragedy effect of Melpmene and Stunned by the Dramatic Comedy effect of Thalia the enemy is instead Paralyzed until the end of the the wielder's next turn.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 8, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Perry the Magical Parrying Dagger

quote:

Unlike many other magical weapons, Perry is not just a simple inanimate object. It is an intelligent, sentient being with a sharp tongue and an abrasive personality. It is known for its sarcastic quips and cutting comments, and it is not afraid to speak its mind, even to its wielder.

This sleek, silver-hued blade is topped with a delicate hilt, made from a shimmering, iridescent material that seems to shift and change color depending on the angle from which it is viewed. The pommel of the hilt is shaped like a stylized dragon's head, its ruby-red eyes glowing with a fiery inner light.

When wielded in combat, Perry the Magical Parrying Dagger moves with a skill and precision that belies its size. It deftly twists and turns, parrying blows and deflecting attacks with ease, all the while offering snide remarks and taunts to its foes. It is said that the weapon has a special bond with its wielder, but that bond is often strained by Perry's difficult personality.

Perry is a rare magic weapon, with a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
When wielded in combat, Perry grants its wielder a +2 bonus to their AC.
Perry has the ability to cast the spell "Shield" once per day, creating a magical barrier that protects its wielder from harm.
Perry can also cast the spell "Blink" once per day, allowing its wielder to teleport a short distance as a bonus action.
Perry has an Intelligence score of 15, a Wisdom score of 10, and a Charisma score of 12. It can communicate telepathically with its wielder, and it understands Common and Infernal.

47,000gp

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Thanks for the ideas! They have given me some thought about something for them, I do like the parry as it will work for the party make up!

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Perry the Magical Parrying Dagger

If the wielder is in an elevated position, and there are vertical masses of fabric between the wielder and the ground (crow's nest on a ship with sails, balcony with long tapestries hanging down a castle wall), the wielder must make a WIS 15 saving throw to take a ladder or stairs to the ground floor. On a failure, the wielder will instead jump to the fabric, plunging Perry the Magical Parrying Dagger into it, and riding it down to the ground floor/ship's deck, automatically succeeding on any Athletics or Acrobatics check to safely land.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Can you cast Teleport from inside a Resilient Sphere? I ruled it yes, for a few reasons, 1) the spell "effect" doesnt pass through the sphere, you simply disappear and reappear somewhere, it never transitions the boundary (unlike if it was say, a line of sight spell perhaps), 2) force cage, a higher level similar spell specifically calls out teleportation in its description, and 3) it made the bad guy get away which means I can bring them back but I am curious how others would have ruled or if there's a sage advice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elendil004 posted:

Can you cast Teleport from inside a Resilient Sphere? I ruled it yes, for a few reasons, 1) the spell "effect" doesnt pass through the sphere, you simply disappear and reappear somewhere, it never transitions the boundary (unlike if it was say, a line of sight spell perhaps), 2) force cage, a higher level similar spell specifically calls out teleportation in its description, and 3) it made the bad guy get away which means I can bring them back but I am curious how others would have ruled or if there's a sage advice.

Yeah, that seems like a fair ruling. Forcecage should be better than Sphere as a higher level spell. Forcecage specifically says no teleporting or planeshift without a saving throw, and sphere doesn't.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Elendil004 posted:

Mearls agrees, for the small amount that is worth

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/723617539478028288

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, that is how I would interpret it as well. All the spell text talks about passing through the barrier not being possible, and Teleport does not make the target move from one space to another.

Teleport doesn't specifically mention the mechanics by which it works, so if your setting has some flavor like Teleport causes their ka becomes unbound from their physical body and travel through the spirit realm to the target, that would be one thing, but I think most people would more conceptualize it as no travel actually occurring and the target just blinks out of existence in one place and appears in another so the player never physically moves through the space the barrier occupies and so doesn't have to interact with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I imagine Teleport as being you passing through a wormhole from point A to point B through the folding of space in of itself, but the traversal still happens at the speed of light so no time travel can occur without being a Divination or Chronomage.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My players are splitting loot.

Player A: *Sees an emerald worth 1000gp and calls dibs on his loot turn.*
Player B: *Sees a ruby worth 5,000gp.*
Player A: *Surprised pikachu face*

My player's greed got the better of him and he just sniped the Emerald while not noticing the Ruby that was worth more! :haw:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Speaking of loot my players just finished their first taste of dungeoneering-ish, a turret of a rich home where their wizard daughter was holed up and after getting through it all and talking to the wizard (through a magic mirror, she had escaped) just...didn't loot anything. I dropped several "is there anything else you guys want to do before you leave?" and they just sorta went "we talked to her, let's go do this next plot thing."

So they missed the fun magic items. They chose this plot line purely because they were insistent on finding a way to get paid for a job. Silliness if you ask me, but it's their adventure.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I mean, did they want to get paid, or did they want to steal poo poo? It's important to manage the kayfabe. My last group had a couple awkward encounters because the gm seemed to expect us to start the fights with people who weren't currently hostile. We wanted fights, but we wanted to be defending ourselves.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

El Fideo posted:

I mean, did they want to get paid, or did they want to steal poo poo? It's important to manage the kayfabe. My last group had a couple awkward encounters because the gm seemed to expect us to start the fights with people who weren't currently hostile. We wanted fights, but we wanted to be defending ourselves.

They're happy to steal poo poo, they stole a mundane comb, a hand mirror they used for a puzzle, a bucket from a trap room because they thought it was magical. They tried to steal a necklace only to kind it was a key they needed. And also sandwiches from the home's kitchen.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Well then I have no idea.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Speaking of loot my players just finished their first taste of dungeoneering-ish, a turret of a rich home where their wizard daughter was holed up and after getting through it all and talking to the wizard (through a magic mirror, she had escaped) just...didn't loot anything. I dropped several "is there anything else you guys want to do before you leave?" and they just sorta went "we talked to her, let's go do this next plot thing."

So they missed the fun magic items. They chose this plot line purely because they were insistent on finding a way to get paid for a job. Silliness if you ask me, but it's their adventure.

I think its a question of degree, if it had been an Evil Wizards tower out to kill them, they'd have cleaned the place out; since it maybe sorta belong to someone who wasn't an enemy? Its okay to swipe the odd thing that won't be missed, but stealing everything not bolted down might make an enemy?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It's ok to say "When searching the tower you find X" too.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It's not like they missed anything truly important, just a little bonus for using puzzle items in a clever way later, a few scrolls, and a goofy item. There's a chance they'll be back but either way it's no big deal, just a little odd for them. If I really want the items could easily be planted in other places.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If my players miss a cool custom item I hand crafted they are gonna trip on it on their way walking out of the dungeon.

"I search the area for a suitable area to make camp"
"You find a nice clearing. As you are gathering wood you also stumble on and grove of apple trees, a small creek as well as a full suit of jeweled armor shaped like a frog. Oh, and a walnut tree."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I equip the walnut tree.