Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hipster Occultist posted:

Is there a go-to mission any of you folks have that's good for leveling beasts? Gotta get this Draki up to snuff for Call of Water

The first blue case is excellent for that on challenge mode, bring only Giselle (with the +beast XP mastery) and Ray (with the Scholar stuff for +XP) and you will usually clear an evolution step each run by having Ray eliminate all enemies, which should take you a couple of minutes at a time.

KSAACBTXE2ASWA2GCS5FG46YAGNADHABWIAT4BABAIBSNPSEAEBAGBBZAIASKVSPANCAWC2RCAITQHS9EAUUN

This is what I use, but it's a really old build that could be easily improved, what matters is having the Faithful Supporter and Treasury of Knowledge sets to juice up your beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

ZearothK posted:

The first blue case is excellent for that on challenge mode, bring only Giselle (with the +beast XP mastery) and Ray (with the Scholar stuff for +XP) and you will usually clear an evolution step each run by having Ray eliminate all enemies, which should take you a couple of minutes at a time.

KSAACBTXE2ASWA2GCS5FG46YAGNADHABWIAT4BABAIBSNPSEAEBAGBBZAIASKVSPANCAWC2RCAITQHS9EAUUN

This is what I use, but it's a really old build that could be easily improved, what matters is having the Faithful Supporter and Treasury of Knowledge sets to juice up your beasts.

Bring Kylie as well with her own Scholar stuff for +Xp for even faster levelling - plus you can also level drones at the same time that way.

Here's a guide as well.

nil. fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 6, 2022

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Do any of these +XP talents actually make a difference w.r.t. class leveling? (I.e. getting to lvl 16)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leveling is a solved problem that you can finish any time after kylie joins. the process for leveling pets works just as well for your party members.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
Is there anywhere better to get blueprints (the robot equivalent of training manuals) other than buying them from the weapon guy at the bar for $250 each?

Trying to mess with robots after ignoring them for a while but I ran out, and I'm not rich enough to blow $12500 (for 50) on upgrading robot ai.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nil. posted:

Bring Kylie as well with her own Scholar stuff for +Xp for even faster levelling - plus you can also level drones at the same time that way.

Here's a guide as well.

Oh yeah! It's been so long that I forgot Kylie Scholar is part of the power level gang, thanks for the correction!

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Modoh posted:

Is there anywhere better to get blueprints (the robot equivalent of training manuals) other than buying them from the weapon guy at the bar for $250 each?

Trying to mess with robots after ignoring them for a while but I ran out, and I'm not rich enough to blow $12500 (for 50) on upgrading robot ai.

You can also craft them from Masteries, the same way you can craft other Masteries. It's not in the menu for Modules (i.e. robot Masteries) but in the crafting menu for normal Masteries. Stumped me for some time when I was looking for the same thing.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
Man that's a strange place for it. Thanks!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
New patch. They nerfed Ninja (apparently it just had 2 more mastery slots than every other class), and added one (1) new story mission. Although it has a new Beast Tamer boss with a couple of new pets to play around with, I suppose.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also Leton's costume is out, he cleans up nice.

As someone the same age as Giselle who recently had to deal with a bunch of early twenties colleagues I can now fully understand why she's sometimes so cranky/mean. If anything she's too kind with Albus and crew by shooting them in the head so sporadically.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Did somebody check the new gold draki? I'm curious what the sp type is and what the difference is with the normal draki equivalent.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Misty is disgustingly powerful if you get her speed up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZearothK posted:

Also Leton's costume is out, he cleans up nice.

As someone the same age as Giselle who recently had to deal with a bunch of early twenties colleagues I can now fully understand why she's sometimes so cranky/mean. If anything she's too kind with Albus and crew by shooting them in the head so sporadically.

The thing that annoys me about Giselle is that she’s way too weak to roll in halfway through the story and act like she’s in charge. Gameplay-wise and personality-wise. Also the hypocrisy of ripping Albus for wearing a suit to work when she’s wearing high heels and dressed like she’s going to cocktail hour.

Isaac, Jane or the bartender whose’ name escapes me would have all been better choices as “the mentor character”.

Hope she pulls an Obi-Wan and fucks off for the sequel.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this post is wrong on many levels

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The only reason she’s worth bringing is that her beasts have good utility. She is third or fourth string at clearing trash mobs, and while she has high single-target damage, her pisspoor mobility (high heels!) and low defense means that Sion will have killed the boss by the time she’s in range.

At a minimum, she’s worse than Albus/Irene/Sion/Ray. The kids are babysitting her, not the other way around.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

How is Giselle weak personality-wise??

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Misty is disgustingly powerful if you get her speed up.

Oh yeah absolutely. She's insane.

This is even without the free acceleration with sprint or all the -AT boosts she can stack.

Vengarr posted:

The only reason she’s worth bringing is that her beasts have good utility. She is third or fourth string at clearing trash mobs, and while she has high single-target damage, her pisspoor mobility (high heels!) and low defense means that Sion will have killed the boss by the time she’s in range.

I booted up the game just to check, and my Giselle has the highest move distance and second highest speed (after misty) of the whole team when swift chase is active, with also very good -AT reduction. So the poor mobility seems to me a consequence of whatever build you're using.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

In the base campaign, Giselle absolutely shreds (nom impulse fields) mobs with one shot one kill. Falls off in the super endgame content, but for when she arrives it’s extremely potent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Beasts are strong extra party members, like from a pure srpg standpoint that's already good enough

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shadow sniping (or whatever the confusion thing is called) is one of the most amusing abilities I've used in an SRPG. I genuinely get a kick out of it every time. Also she's dating Samus Starcraft. 10/10 character, no notes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The clarification undearneath Misty's name on the roster screen is mildly annoying and I'm not entirely sure why it's there beside flavor lol

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You can also cause Confusion with Fire Traps, so trapper Giselle is genuinely amazing at disabling mobs between that and just freezing them with the Frost Traps.

Vengarr posted:

The thing that annoys me about Giselle is that she’s way too weak to roll in halfway through the story and act like she’s in charge. Gameplay-wise and personality-wise. Also the hypocrisy of ripping Albus for wearing a suit to work when she’s wearing high heels and dressed like she’s going to cocktail hour.

Isaac, Jane or the bartender whose’ name escapes me would have all been better choices as “the mentor character”.

Hope she pulls an Obi-Wan and fucks off for the sequel.

Giselle is 100% a hellboss, but your impression kind of goes to show how varied an experience someone can have with this game. When she joined my party she was several levels higher than Albus & Co and the game became a lot easier for me, in fact the mission where Albus gets sent to the hospital was the hardest non-endgame violent case for me.

Gameplay wise she is one my strongest characters (again, really varies depending on how your builds are going) even before beasts get brought in and completely break the game. It is not an accident that there's a mission where it is Giselle + 1 versus the whole team and she roasts everyone she takes down so hard that it gives global debuffs. She remains an 1S1K monster in the post-game as long as you remember which enemy types come with Impulse Fields.

By the way, I do recommend doing that mission with post-game builds for the challenge. It is pretty fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
giselle's management techniques are hilariously awful, but otherwise she's the best. she's a glam gay sniper.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It's been a while so I could be misremembering, but I thought that Giselle's whole thing is that she realizes she's a lovely boss, and she's trying to guide Albus to not be like her/not become a broken mess chewed up by the business.

I really wish this game had a codex that I can easily look up major plot points and character stories. A lot goes on and I keep on losing track of what's happening.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 6, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Giselle is actually the most mobile character in the game because with the right Shadow Sniping sets she can get 2 action points per kill even without 1S1K, thus allowing her to move between shots and theoretically clear the entire map in one turn as long as she keep getting kills. She can even deal with Impulse Fields with Chain Fire. And of course she can have a pet out at the same time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PunkBoy posted:

It's been a while so I could be misremembering, but I thought that Giselle's whole thing is that she realizes she's a lovely boss, and she's trying to guide Albus to not be like her/not become a broken mess chewed up by the business.

I really wish this game had a codex that I can easily look up major plot points and character stories. A lot goes on and I keep on losing track of what's happening.

Yeah, I believe you are remembering correctly. She was originally hesitant about joining Albus Ltd out of guilt/shame over how she treated him at Black Pearl, it is only after he almost dies that she decides to join in and mentor him to be a less lovely boss than she was.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

She continues to be a rather poo poo mentor though

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, she doesn't really understand the whole mentorship thing. Her entire approach to mentoring someone is constantly and furiously negging them like she read a terrible pickup artist book and decided to apply it to management, and most of her lessons are reliant on her pupil being able to somehow read her mind and divine the specific times when she wants them to defy her orders to show backbone and the specific times when she wants her orders obeyed.

Her being a trainwreck of a teacher but not really aware of it is very intentional.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I thought it was pretty funny when her initial "tough love" policy made him quit her company and never come back and she was caught totally off guard because she'd considered him a promising talent and was trying to nurture him in her own terrible way.

Later in the game she seems to realize that taking a step back and letting him take charge works better.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad we are taking so much time to talk about giselle's charm points, hehe
another tidbit here is that giselle pretty much sees through his facade immediately. when they meet up again giselle now has her personal revenge quest going so she probably sees a bit more of herself in him than just being a lovely boss at that point.

Fruits of the sea posted:

She just need students like Ray, who have training in dealing with uncommunicative dark hair weirdos, i.e. Carter. At that point, even if she is using the both of you as bait without telling, she is so much easier to understand and see that her heart is actually in the right place.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh, no doubt, she's like the worst boss ever. Still my favourite character in this overwrought k-pop crime drama.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Giselle manages to be probably the most toxic member of the team, and given some of the people you've got on staff by the end, that's honestly kind of impressive.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

Giselle manages to be probably the most toxic member of the team, and given some of the people you've got on staff by the end, that's honestly kind of impressive.

This is why she's cool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
disliking giselle is a hate crime against my people (lesbians)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh, I love Giselle as a character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Disliking Giselle as a person is also illegal.

That’s just how it goes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think irene, ray, sion and anne are the only members who never did anything wrong. the majority of the playable characters are pretty unsavory to varying degrees.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think irene, ray, sion and anne are the only members who never did anything wrong. the majority of the playable characters are pretty unsavory to varying degrees.

Please tell me what you think is wrong with everyone else, I'm honestly curious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Heixing stole a car that one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heixing was an enforcer for a horrifying forced labor camp. none of it was his choice, but you don't get the employee of the year award from a place literally called the fortress of suffering by keeping your hands clean. he is a really nice guy now that it is an option for him, though.