Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I Get Vampire Survivors now. Feels good to get to the point where you're running into the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BabyRyoga posted:

Spent all weekend messing with emulators and poo poo on the deck. I must say, it's no where near as easy making stuff work or as bulletproof quality wise as a lot of the videos on the subject are making it out to be. Some consoles are essentially just plug n play, EZPZ, but i'm having trouble finding the right combination of settings/rom formats/etc for stuff like Saturn, Wii, Wii-u, etc. Even the Turbo Duo is having trouble with images I took from my Duo ODE's SD card, some of which were self-ripped and worked fine on the ODE.

Is there anything I can use to compress libraries of isos and roms into CHD pre-transfer to the Steam Deck? Getting stuff to the deck to check if it works then compressing via the tools is very time consuming.
For Wii U:

Commander Keene posted:

Wii U is a bit more complicated than other emulators. First, make sure you have the right files, there should be three sub-directories in the game directory (code, content, and meta) and a meta.xml file in the meta directory. If you have a bunch of .app and .tik files you need to decrypt them. If you're on Windows and are somewhat familiar with command line you can use CDecrypt.

Once the games are decrypted you can just drop the whole folder in the roms/wii u/roms directory and Cemu/Emulation Station/Steam Rom Manager should just recognize them the next time you use them.

Also you can find sets of .chds for disc based consoles, I don't know of any mass conversion tool for Windows but as a last resort you could just re-download them as .chds.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 5, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Spent all weekend messing with emulators and poo poo on the deck. I must say, it's no where near as easy making stuff work or as bulletproof quality wise as a lot of the videos on the subject are making it out to be. Some consoles are essentially just plug n play, EZPZ, but i'm having trouble finding the right combination of settings/rom formats/etc for stuff like Saturn, Wii, Wii-u, etc. Even the Turbo Duo is having trouble with images I took from my Duo ODE's SD card, some of which were self-ripped and worked fine on the ODE.

Is there anything I can use to compress libraries of isos and roms into CHD pre-transfer to the Steam Deck? Getting stuff to the deck to check if it works then compressing via the tools is very time consuming.

This is emulation on every platform and its incredibly frustrating because of how easy everyone makes it look when it clearly isn’t.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wii is mostly obnoxious because every other game expects a different control scheme or even controller setup and you're going to need to mess with emulator settings a lot, it's not a console you can just rapid fire switch between games on.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

chdman is usually distributed with .bat files to batch convert stuff to chd.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

MarcusSA posted:

This is emulation on every platform and its incredibly frustrating because of how easy everyone makes it look when it clearly isn’t.

Most emulation on the Steam Deck is pretty straightforward, but op is right that Wii and Wii U are tougher for the reasons stated. I've not messed with Saturn much but from what I remember emulating that platform is a pain simply because the internal architecture of the Saturn was so wacky.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I tried making Sega Rally Championship work for a while before giving up. I would also mention that the only emulators I've ever had major issues with are the Retroarch cores and I've had no major issues with the standalone ones.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

BabyRyoga posted:

Emudeck has a compressor tool that can convert files into chds.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vichan posted:

Emudeck has a compressor tool that can convert files into chds.

They specifically asked about before they put them onto the deck.

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
I tried a few Saturn CHDs, they all ran as expected, with a little slowdown here and there. Even Sega Rally Championship. I don't think I did anything other than put the BIOS files in the right folder. (this was usually the problem for me if anything crashed back to ES-DE on launch)

I've only tried a translated Opoona for the Wii and it runs, I don't remember configuring anything. I think it's in WBFS format.

I run both systems from RA

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

History Comes Inside! posted:

Welp, I'm an idiot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm debating replacing the sticks. Not because there's really much wrong except that the left one has rubbed up against the case shell and it feels rough on the edges now. I've cleaned the black gunk off the stick a couple times but it still doesn't feel great. RMA wouldn't be terrible since I can just throw back in the old HD and swap mine when it comes back. Decisions.

Decided to just RMA it and maybe buy the stick shaft (wtf is this called) covers and guli sticks maybe later. Mine actually feel like they're gouged from the shell and the guli sticks reuse the same white part from the OEM sticks that is likely damaged. I could buy new sticks and replace it myself but this is what a warranty is for I guess.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
With more emu messing around, i've gotten everything except Wii-U and the standalone Metroid Prime emulator to work pretty well. Are there any settings or tweaks (with power tools, or etc) that will get better performance for these things? They run pretty drat well, but there are little stutters and sound cut-outs occasionally on Saturn/DC/PS2, and I can't tell if it's an emulator inadequacy issue or a performance issue. I feel like I shouldn't mess with the deck's internal refresh rate as it might screw some things up with emulators specifically. In the end, these are very playable. I'm actually impressed the most by PS2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BabyRyoga posted:

With more emu messing around, i've gotten everything except Wii-U and the standalone Metroid Prime emulator to work pretty well. Are there any settings or tweaks (with power tools, or etc) that will get better performance for these things? They run pretty drat well, but there are little stutters and sound cut-outs occasionally on Saturn/DC/PS2, and I can't tell if it's an emulator inadequacy issue or a performance issue. I feel like I shouldn't mess with the deck's internal refresh rate as it might screw some things up with emulators specifically. In the end, these are very playable. I'm actually impressed the most by PS2.

That's probably shader compilation, it'll stop happening eventually once everything's properly cached. Also yeah don't mess with refresh on emulators, they don't work with it a lot of the time. The big exception being systems where you can mod games through the emulator, so the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild has a mod to cap the framerate at 40 so you can set the refresh rate to 40hz without issue. Most of the Emudeck installed emulators should be already configured for optimal performance so you shouldn't have to worry on that front.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

If my understanding of the modern emulation scene is correct, of the four systems you mention, three are notoriously difficult to emulate.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If I wanted to play Skyrim with mods on my Deck, is my best bet Workshop mods, or is there a relatively simple way to install Nexus mods on the Deck?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

On my phone so I can’t easily find the link, but the tool that emudeck uses comes with MAME I think, chd<something>.exe maybe?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

On my phone so I can’t easily find the link, but the tool that emudeck uses comes with MAME I think, chd<something>.exe maybe?

Yeah it’s chdman

chdman is usually distributed with .bat files to batch convert stuff to chd.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Annath posted:

If I wanted to play Skyrim with mods on my Deck, is my best bet Workshop mods, or is there a relatively simple way to install Nexus mods on the Deck?

This post in the Skyrim Modding Thread and other posts in that thread by v1ld have a lot of info. "Relatively simple" is an exercise best left to the reader but it looks like it can be done.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/12/valve-are-finally-fixing-buying-games-on-steam-deck-that-need-a-pop-up/

Newest beta update apparently fixes payment for folks in countries with card authorization popups. Verified by visa etc.

It wasn't the worst to buy stuff in the phone app or on desktop instead but i'd always forget it didn't work and end up having to wait for the cart to time out before it went through finally.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah it’s chdman

Ah, quite. Sorry, must have missed that!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

i've gotten everything except Wii-U and the standalone Metroid Prime emulator to work pretty well.
For PrimeHack you should verify the game-specific properties and enable Dual Core, and disable Synchronize GPU thread.

Disabling the latter might cause PrimeHack to crash in game if you have a cold shader cache, so my recommendation is to run though the intro cinematic of MP1 (assuming you're playing Trilogy) and once it goes into Samus's HUD you can quit and disable that option. You shouldn't have any issues after that.

With those settings MP1 should run at full speed always and MP2 almost always, except for the tail end of a wall jump. MP3 is a bit more graphically intensive though and will slow down pretty frequently when scanning things. For that you can use PowerTools to disable SMT which should give you just enough performance boost to cover that. I'm only a bit of the way into MP3 myself, but so far it's been OK with these changes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Quote != Edit sigh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game also shits out in the scan visor

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

When I have the deck docked I'm having issues with my TV blinking black with the audio cutting out. I read it could be an issue with the HDMI cable so I got a good one hooked up but it still happens. Gaming mode seems to mostly work but desktop mode is cutting out at least every minute.

I'm hoping it's not the dock I bought but I don't really understand how multiple monitors works and I've never hooked a PC up to a TV instead of a monitor.

Any settings I should try tweaking to fix this?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

So how soon tomorrow do you suppose someone will have some cursed controller layout to play the Steam Dwarf Fortress on this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kdrudy posted:

So how soon tomorrow do you suppose someone will have some cursed controller layout to play the Steam Dwarf Fortress on this?

I give it 15 min

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xinlum posted:

When I have the deck docked I'm having issues with my TV blinking black with the audio cutting out. I read it could be an issue with the HDMI cable so I got a good one hooked up but it still happens. Gaming mode seems to mostly work but desktop mode is cutting out at least every minute.

I'm hoping it's not the dock I bought but I don't really understand how multiple monitors works and I've never hooked a PC up to a TV instead of a monitor.

What dock are you using?

Also, in a similar vein, my Deck won't output audio over HDMI, either through the official Valve dock or the cheapo USB hub I bought initially. I have to use the headphone jack or internal speakers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Xinlum posted:

What resolution are you outputting to the tv in desktop mode?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone have any recommendations for best way to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? I see it's part of the Anniversary collection, but that gets middling reviews. I'm thinking of just throwing it in Duckstation and turning on enhancements.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Duckstation for sure

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My shipping info was saying delivery today, until this morning when it changed to delivery tomorrow :saddowns:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

welcome to logistics during december.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

tater_salad posted:

welcome to logistics during december.

Oh I know - I worked a season with UPS as a driver assistant/"jumper".

I'm wondering if it'll just hit the local hub today and I can just pick it up after work.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Medullah posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for best way to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? I see it's part of the Anniversary collection, but that gets middling reviews. I'm thinking of just throwing it in Duckstation and turning on enhancements.
I don't think SotN is part of the Anniversary Collection, it's part of the Requiem collection with Rondo of Blood on PlayStation, but they haven't ported that to anything else yet. Emulating the original release or Dracula X Chronicles is your only option on the Deck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My Life In Gaming did a video on the various idiosyncrasies between all the versions of SoTN and still put the PS1 version on top. So go with Duck Station.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Didn't they remove I am the Wind from all versions of Sotn after the originals? That's either a huge plus or huge minus depending on your perspective

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably royalties.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

The change to the ICONIC voice acting is a deal breaker for anything other than the original.

Edit to add: Also, I am the Wind rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Commander Keene posted:

I don't think SotN is part of the Anniversary Collection, it's part of the Requiem collection with Rondo of Blood on PlayStation, but they haven't ported that to anything else yet. Emulating the original release or Dracula X Chronicles is your only option on the Deck.

Ah that's right, thanks!