Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Nessus posted:

how tae gently caress

it was in the tutorial, no less!

A frozen river hidden under the snow, forming a wall of my stockpile. Melted just hours after the tutorial finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rodney The Yam II posted:

A frozen river hidden under the snow, forming a wall of my stockpile. Melted just hours after the tutorial finished
OK that makes sense.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

YOU CAN SEE MULTIPLE Z LEVELS AT THE SAME TIME!!

GOTY

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Welp, that's my first fortress flood 10 minutes in lol

I am screaming.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
removing mining/chopping/etc orders seems to not work?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

When embarking, is there a way to show the multiple biomes that may be in your embark zone?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Spotted this during world creation:

Never change, Dwarf Fortress. :allears:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Already got a dwarf downed, thanks to a flock of agitated ravens. I set up a hospital area with a bed, but nobody cared to rescue him.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Here's a changelog!

Game of all years, imo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"return of underground invasions" from the changelog :ohdear:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Honestly haven't played this game in 9ish years but I'm ready

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

"bins bug - no longer need such a need for quantum stockpiles"

Anyone know what that means?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
uhhh, i think there's something wrong. i can't find the ray tracing toggle

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

Please report back on this

So far I've genned a world, poked around in legends mode and now I'm going through the fortress mode tutorial, so I'm extremely early on. That said, so far it's worked perfectly, I'm playing much more slowly than I would be on keyboard and mouse but using the default wasd + mouse controls is working ok, still tripping out at just dragging and clicking to designate even though I know mouse controls technically existed for a while. I'm absolutely sure someone (many someones, really) will create a tweaked control scheme that works much better for its peculiarities soon. I'm a simple baby enthralled with scrolling around and seeing multiple z levels, i was sure I'd switch back to ASCII first thing and I'm sure I'll still use it a lot but goddamn this is beautiful.

tl;dr I'll update as I get further in but so far this is perfectly playable on steam deck to a degree that is dangerous for my continued employment

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
one of the first things in my world's creation messages was a goblin plucking out someone's eyeball

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

woke kaczynski posted:

So far I've genned a world, poked around in legends mode and now I'm going through the fortress mode tutorial, so I'm extremely early on. That said, so far it's worked perfectly, I'm playing much more slowly than I would be on keyboard and mouse but using the default wasd + mouse controls is working ok, still tripping out at just dragging and clicking to designate even though I know mouse controls technically existed for a while. I'm absolutely sure someone (many someones, really) will create a tweaked control scheme that works much better for its peculiarities soon. I'm a simple baby enthralled with scrolling around and seeing multiple z levels, i was sure I'd switch back to ASCII first thing and I'm sure I'll still use it a lot but goddamn this is beautiful.

tl;dr I'll update as I get further in but so far this is perfectly playable on steam deck to a degree that is dangerous for my continued employment

Rad, ty

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Popete posted:

"bins bug - no longer need such a need for quantum stockpiles"

Anyone know what that means?
That's a good question.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

it begins

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

one of the first things in my world's creation messages was a goblin plucking out someone's eyeball

And lo, for the eye was thrown into the sky and even now spins around us as the moon.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Definitely doesn't work during the tutorial, dunno if that's tutorial-specific somehow.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

When preparing to embark, has anyone found a way to adjust the amount of items/animals/etc by more than just 1 with each click? I'm not 100% but seem to remember being able to do that in the old version

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I could read what was happening on an old DF screenshot pretty quick, going to take a bit to get used to new ones.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
very nice

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

FFT posted:

Definitely doesn't work during the tutorial, dunno if that's tutorial-specific somehow.

Yeah that and the alerts that pop up along the left side are a couple of pretty baffling "this mechanic is disabled during tutorial time" decisions.

Estel
May 4, 2010

FFT posted:

Yes, the tutorial limits what you can do until you finish it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I take it there is no item rotation?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

legendary fun

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Looks like all animals have a personality?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Didn't get a screenshot, but a faction named "The Gears of Steam" did a thing on my new worldgen

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:911:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What’s with the caravan changes? I’m figuring nobody actually got to Fall yet.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does the new UI actually help? I remember being thoroughly defeated by the hundreds of key shortcuts last time I tried to play DF

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Currently DF is listed as the second top seller on Steam, second only to the steam deck, which seems a liiiiiiiiiittle sketchy.

I see over 16,000 people in game, which if my math serves me, is about half a million dollars in first-hour sales.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Looks like all animals have a personality?

Yeah Krugg was digging through some animal brains, found a racist eagle and a fastidious elephant

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

Does the new UI actually help? I remember being thoroughly defeated by the hundreds of key shortcuts last time I tried to play DF
It's very helpful, yeah - although I do think it's gonna take me some time to get used to the new shortcuts.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah Krugg was digging through some animal brains, found a racist eagle and a fastidious elephant
Seems on-point, one of the cats I brought is surly, and the other is cuddly.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Welp, that's my first fortress flood 10 minutes in lol

Get this dorf a gang tag lmao

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Triskelli posted:

wait what

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/dirigiblebill/status/1600163445092995084?s=20&t=5cJE8HabsczizbH-8Y1bRg

quote:

The idea of reviewing Dwarf Fortress is inherently hilarious. You might as well apply a tape measure to a black hole. Playable in unfinished form for 16 years and counting, with no end to development in sight, Bay 12’s deceptively lo-fi colony management simulation is as vast and alien as one of its own Forgotten Beasts, rising up through layers of terrain to obliterate the miners burrowing down for sapphires and platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I could have done with smooth scrolling on the map. Also a font size option.