Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

So basically if you want to play DK ever you need to drop the 2k gold? Or is there some other way to get their base set?

Do we know if that replaces the mini set this time or if we're also getting that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There is going to be a miniset for the set, they've said that. The DK pack thing is to give them the cards they would have had from the last 3 sets, give or take, so they have a comparable number of cards as the other classes. Obviously one could make the argument that they could/should have just given them out but they've chosen not to.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

thebardyspoon posted:

Obviously one could make the argument that they could/should have just given them out but they've chosen not to.
Thinking really hard about why blizzard would want to make extra money :v:

The f2p option is to wait and eventually craft the cards from the DK set that are good

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The Death Knight Core set is unlocked along with the class. The Path of Arthas miniset is craftable if you don’t want to buy it. There will be a normal mini-set, three cards for each class and five neutrals, probably in February.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

Thinking really hard about why blizzard would want to make extra money :v:

The f2p option is to wait and eventually craft the cards from the DK set that are good

Tempted by this but I'm assuming all the cards will be ridiculously OP to make everyone buy them. Would they qualify for dust refunds when they get nerfed?

I think I'll spend most of my gold on packs later but keep 2k back for the DK set and see what people make of it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Because of the unbalanced distribution across rune types (10-6-6), Path of Arthas will be more worth if

- You like Frost DK
and
- You need epic Blood Boils (2 Blood)

Aside from that, the Legendaries and Epics are bad imo (Hot take: triple Frost Lady Deathwhisper won't work), and I'm also not buying it and will just craft the commons/rares a la carte as needed.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TrumpSC in SHAMBLES

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Folks I’m old and not understanding the rune system. If I have a card that has two blood runes for example, exactly what does that mean for deck building and play purposes?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Means poo poo for play purposes means you can’t put it in your deck unless your deck has two of those runes. You get to pick three.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Folks I’m old and not understanding the rune system. If I have a card that has two blood runes for example, exactly what does that mean for deck building and play purposes?

You get 3 rune slots, if you put a 2 blood rune card in your deck then you can put any amount of 1 and 2 blood rune cards in your deck but cannot use 3 or 2 rune unholy and frost cards at all. You could put 1 rune unholy cards or 1 rune frost cards in and use the last slot though or put in a 3 blood rune card and then all 3 runes are fully dedicated to blood and you can't use any other type of rune cards at all.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks! Now it makes sense.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Mayveena posted:

Think of it the other way.

Your deck can have 3 runes of any combination. You choose how many Blood runes your deck will get.

3 Blood runes? No room for any cards with any other runes, but you can slot in powerful 3 Blood rune cards.

2 Blood runes? Well, now you can’t put in any 3 Blood rune cards, but you can fit in either single Unholy or Frost cards now.

1 Blood rune? You’re limited to single Blood rune cards and can’t fit that card you wanted into your deck, but now you could fit in 2 of another rune of your choice.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
It's just like using Slurp Juice on an Ape. Duh.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

There is going to be a miniset for the set, they've said that. The DK pack thing is to give them the cards they would have had from the last 3 sets, give or take, so they have a comparable number of cards as the other classes. Obviously one could make the argument that they could/should have just given them out but they've chosen not to.

It's extra irritating because they did the same thing for demon hunter when it launched with 20 cards and it was free for all.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Lister posted:

It's extra irritating because they did the same thing for demon hunter when it launched with 20 cards and it was free for all.

Yeah, it's their stinginess that keeps me from spending money, purely out of spite. I'm happy to drop a dime on a quality game but as soon as I get a whiff of exploitation or car salesman psychology the ol' wallet clams right up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'll repeat what I said when DH dropped. They have to show value for a new class, otherwise those who did buy packs will be very upset. They do frequent balance passes nowadays so it's fine imo. Not so much when it took 6 weeks of screaming before they'd change anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I dont think they are looking to repeat DH launch. That would be psycho.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Expansion is live, a bit earlier than usual.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Death Knight prologue is broken, good job Blizzard

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

Seems like they are to me, some of these cards are nuts.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

:lol: the very first of my squirreled away standard packs I just opened

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RatHat posted:

The Death Knight prologue is broken, good job Blizzard

How so

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

No Wave posted:

Well the Hearthstone team went from conception to design to release of demon hunter within 1 expansion (so like 3-4 months) which they admitted was in retrospect a massive mistake on their part. Supposedly they've been cooking up Death Knight for over a year so there's some hope that it's a little bit more reasonable when it comes to not making every other class in the game temporarily obsolete.

I'm guessing there will still be week 1 nerfs though, but that doesn't seem outrageous or out of the ordinary for the experience of the last couple years.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Starts on the 2nd encounter, can't do anything

EDIT: Oh you can just start it there. Hopefully it still unlocks everything properly

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RatHat posted:

Starts on the 2nd encounter, can't do anything

That leftmost one is the 4th fight, I've beaten 3 now

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Devor posted:

That leftmost one is the 4th fight, I've beaten 3 now

the one at the start of the trail is meant to be the 4th fight? ok.... weird design choice

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Where do you buy the path of arthas? Or is that just what unlocks after the prologue?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
This is why I let my son open my packs for me. Never got a triple legendary before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
God the animated Arthas portrait is so fuckin ugly

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

mcbexx posted:

:lol: the very first of my squirreled away standard packs I just opened

Same! I had one standard pack, waited until the expansion and got the same card

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
That's insane! I was feeling lucky after getting this Signature in my first Standard pack, then a golden legendary in my 4th Lich King pack:

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Maybe there's something funny going on because I pulled a Signature Rommath from the the first or second Standard pack I had saved up too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah there's something wonky with signature rates right now, everyone in the subreddit is showing off all the signatures they pulled from their first packs

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
For sure. My first standard pack was double signature legendary.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Weird. The second (standard) pack I'm trying to open softlocked the game twice

Edit: Three times. Opening another type of pack worked fine

Luff fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 6, 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Luff posted:

The same thing is happening to me

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I got Bolf Deathshackle :/

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Luff posted:

this just happened to me too

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think they disabled Standard pack openings because people were getting too many signature legendaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

drat, I didn't have enough Standard packs to save for this, and then I almost pity timer'd twice. This expansion is gonna be rough