Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DizzyBum posted:

I've been enjoying zoning out and just murdering stuff with my merc buddy over the last few weeks and doing these Hero's Journey quests. Crescent Reach is an interesting little world-within-a-world; it's like the devs tried to create a theme-park-styled MMO within a classic MMO.

How far can I expect to get in modern EQ as a F2P player? I'm mostly just interested in leveling and then exploring lots of older zones and murdering some classic raid bosses. Not looking to do endgame raiding at the moment.
I'm years out of date on current EQ, but f2p for dicking around in older zones can get you really far. By around 75-85 you'll be able to do Velious/PoP era bosses and events. At 90 or 95, I was clearing CoA with my raid geared SK, so that should be in your range around 100 or 105 with good f2p gear. The important parts for slumming old raids is self healing, free damage, and a variety of damage types. Which hybrids and beastlords are excellent at.

The f2p limit on AAs is going to be your roadblock for character advancement, but it's not something you need to worry about till you get close to the level cap. Then if you really want to, a month of gold will auto grant a gently caress load of AAs to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Porterhaus posted:

Will do! Been duoing without a healer. Should I pony up for a Fungus Covered Great Staff as an ENC looking to save on celestial healing pot costs? Looks like there is the Earring/Shroud of Vigor from VT for additional baby heals and Orb of Lost Souls for a mana free Rune.

Rejuvenation potions do the same thing and cost 1 platinum a piece.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Solarin posted:

if you’ll be raiding VT soon then you’ll be showered in gear as a caster. There’s a lot of high AC/HP/MP stuff that’s pretty free because it’s second/third best and caster only. In my guilds casters only woke up and bid on the top tier Aten/Seru/Ssra loot, and a few unique in Luclin focus effect items like Crown of Ambivalence.

Keep an eye out for Memory from Ssra cursed cycle and tell me if you can prove it exists. I’ve played on 3 TLPs at this point and have never seen it once.

We got one on Mischief in our 2 months of the expansion. Which is crazy when you consider how many loot tables we saw.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

I've been enjoying zoning out and just murdering stuff with my merc buddy over the last few weeks and doing these Hero's Journey quests. Crescent Reach is an interesting little world-within-a-world; it's like the devs tried to create a theme-park-styled MMO within a classic MMO.

How far can I expect to get in modern EQ as a F2P player? I'm mostly just interested in leveling and then exploring lots of older zones and murdering some classic raid bosses. Not looking to do endgame raiding at the moment.

You should play on Test. I did exactly this and it was a lot of fun.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

Will do! Been duoing without a healer. Should I pony up for a Fungus Covered Great Staff as an ENC looking to save on celestial healing pot costs? Looks like there is the Earring/Shroud of Vigor from VT for additional baby heals and Orb of Lost Souls for a mana free Rune.

Are you using Distillates of Replenishment already? 30 minutes of ~30 hp a tick regen is really strong for enchanter without a pocket healer. With one of these running you can save celestial/divine healing pots for emergencies. The fungus staff (15hp per tick) isn’t worth it once you are high enough level for these potions.

Distillates of Spirituality are enabled in Luclin, giving you a potion version of the Beastlord regen buff. Think it’s 6 hp/mp per tick.

Also bind wound is actually kind of useful since bandages stack to 1000 now. Even more so with the AA letting you bind up to 100%. It’s a small heal but if you don’t mind pressing a button every 15 seconds it really adds up.

Also a tip if potions are overpriced: go farm inks from Kedge mermaids/seahorses and have a shaman friend make some. Or make a shaman alt and level them to 25 and you can max your own Alchemy from there. One ink makes 5 potions and you can get like 100 an hour in Kedge if it’s uncontested (it will be at this point). Look for the tainted seahorse in there to charm, it’s stupid powerful and will CHeal itself. It can spawn in place of any regular seahorse iirc. You can more or less farm a lifetime supply in one session. Also start hoarding some Nodding Blue Lily now because they are needed for level 65 potions. Also very easy to farm in Sebilis or with foraging in Dreadlands.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

Are you using Distillates of Replenishment already? 30 minutes of ~30 hp a tick regen is really strong for enchanter without a pocket healer. With one of these running you can save celestial/divine healing pots for emergencies. The fungus staff (15hp per tick) isn’t worth it once you are high enough level for these potions.

Distillates of Spirituality are enabled in Luclin, giving you a potion version of the Beastlord regen buff. Think it’s 6 hp/mp per tick.

Also bind wound is actually kind of useful since bandages stack to 1000 now. Even more so with the AA letting you bind up to 100%. It’s a small heal but if you don’t mind pressing a button every 15 seconds it really adds up.

Also a tip if potions are overpriced: go farm inks from Kedge mermaids/seahorses and have a shaman friend make some. Or make a shaman alt and level them to 25 and you can max your own Alchemy from there. One ink makes 5 potions and you can get like 100 an hour in Kedge if it’s uncontested (it will be at this point). Look for the tainted seahorse in there to charm, it’s stupid powerful and will CHeal itself. It can spawn in place of any regular seahorse iirc. You can more or less farm a lifetime supply in one session. Also start hoarding some Nodding Blue Lily now because they are needed for level 65 potions. Also very easy to farm in Sebilis or with foraging in Dreadlands.

I appreciate you all! Can't overstate how much this type of info from the vets has been making my TLP journey so much more enjoyable. About to head in for double loot VT, but am unable to bid more than 1DKP because my raid attendance is low from taking Velious off so I'm expecting to be teased all night from a loot perspective...

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pretty good odds that you at least get those magic-based nuke focus boots that can drop from the first two bosses in there. VT loot is fun, it’s so stupidly powerful compared to non raid stuff. Getting just a few pieces makes a big difference.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Who wants to share some Luclin-era TLP krono making schemes that a solo enchanter can execute. Sick of being a broke gnome!

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

the solo enchanter thing there is your limiting factor. grab a charm pet and mass farm tradeskill mats to feed the people doing shawls etc might be the only reliable money making opportunity.

Box a cleric and you could farm other stuff because enc + clr + charm pet means you can solo most stuff.

Find a couple other dudes willing to blow some old DZs once a week and sell loot rights during prime time, if you get lucky on the drops and someone really wants something you can make some bank too.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Lower dogs in velks can be kind of decent raw plat when solo. I was boxing one alt with my enchanter here and mostly just wanted levels/AA in a barely contested camp. The plat price of krono was such that the raw plat became significant from the long sessions grinding AA there.

The velium hunter is so overpowered a charm pet that it deletes the kobolds in half a second when it’s hasted and given a weapon to frontstab. It’s trivial to keep every kobold in the camp dead while solo as an enchanter. Surviving bad charm breaks and keeping the pet healthy isn’t trivial, but it’s possible. I usually had a shaman or cleric box around which let me keep all the spiders/undead down and pull from OC/IC while waiting for the kobolds to spawn.

It’s not amazingly lucrative but if krono isn’t hyper inflated yet it’s tolerable and okay xp too.

Much better krono for time invested is doing things like GDKP/Plat bid raids on prior expansion stuff. Good to find people who are doing small raid stuff now since PoP adds a lot of relevant targets for that kind of group.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
In luclin I did ok bazaar farming with spell research. In PoP did ok with pottery. As mentioned plat raids were the real bread and butter particularly throughout LDoN. In GoD briefly sold farwater chain to all the new zerkers. If you don’t plat raid, the consistent moneymaker across eras will be tradeskill mat farming.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Luclin farming, join an AE group in the deep. Or did they nerf it? Got some vague memory they did for some reason.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Tai posted:

Luclin farming, join an AE group in the deep. Or did they nerf it? Got some vague memory they did for some reason.

They placed all of the enc aoe stuns on the same cooldown. It’s not impossible but someone will need a handful of encs to accomplish the same lockdown.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Starting to save up my DKP as we prep for PoP on Yelinak. What are some of the PoP items worth spending big enchanter DKP on? I've heard the Serpent of Vindication is worth its weight in gold for the click slow, and the ENC quest pants (Romar's Pantaloons of Visions) for the clicky 68% haste. Anything else I should target that either greatly improves QoL or stays great for several xpacs?

I think I'm going to bid big on Koadic's robe off Emp as well as it seems that 5 mana AA grant doesn't get outclassed until at least OoW. Really hoping to pick up a Ring of Immobilization as well before we move on from VT.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

ENC click slow is ENC only so unless you have a lot of enchanters in the guild it'll go fairly cheap. You could also collude with your fellow enchanter playing guild mates and roll off on it when it drops to get it for min DKP. The pants are useful but don't go nicking them off your Wizards until they've got theirs as they're a much bigger deal for them(clicky concussion in spell GCD). Stack the poo poo out of your AC in PoP/LDoN if you're planning to continue into GoD as the charm mobs in Tipt etc which you'll be doing a few runs of just for KT keying hit like trucks and you'll want to give your healer the best chance of keeping you alive.

Shrink click bracer from VT is useful but everyone wants one of those.

Couple bits in Luclin you can do.

AHR neck(Talisman of Vah Kerrath) won't get replaced til Tacvi but once again everyone wants one.

If you can stand the quest and the faction the Sigil Earring of Veracity is also well worth it, once again not replaced til Tacvi or if you get really, really lucky in Time and have heaps of ear/ring drops for people to use.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Fanelien posted:

AHR neck(Talisman of Vah Kerrath) won't get replaced til Tacvi but once again everyone wants one.

If you can stand the quest and the faction the Sigil Earring of Veracity is also well worth it, once again not replaced til Tacvi or if you get really, really lucky in Time and have heaps of ear/ring drops for people to use.

I'm four more Velium Hound Fur away from my 8th shawl and plan on bidding on a Mnemonic so I can fully free myself of the Obulus Shroud, then I'll work on the Sigil Earring after that since we still have 5 weeks of Luclin. Sigil Earring shards aren't going for a ton in our guild right now since I think few are motivated to finish it. Appreciate the other tips!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

The xp in Vxed as an enc charmer will be really good into OoW so going to second the AC stacking and suggest Hp too. You also want to start padding HStam for mitigation and HAgi for avoidance.

*Quarm caster pants, ethereal silk leggings. I did not replace these until OoW because of the +7 hagi
*earring of celestial energy off innoruk. The ward clicky AA line has ac and stacks with form of defense. Ward line is also harder to get. In GoD lavender cloak of destruction drops it in uqua but that will be dropped from raid schedule quickly, because people hate uqua. You won’t see more ward clickies until DoDH I think, off mayong.
*There is a shield that drops from a ring event in PoEarthA with a 10% dodge mod and +7 mana regen. Circular Crystalline Formation. On our server guilds dropped the rings events from their schedule as soon as they could and never went back. You won’t have many shots at that one.
*Veil of the inferno off Bertox in time has form of endurance two clicky, permanent Hp buff.
*Band of primordial energy off RZ has form of defense II, an ac clicky. Tanks will be going hard for it. But that will be the case for every ac clicky until skull of Vishimitar in DoN.
*If you don’t bag a PoEarthA caster shield the Shield of the Tactician has more AC and hstam, off tallon zek iirc. Also, as nice as the PoEarthA shield might be for the dodge, there is an argument to be made that you want the shield of the tactician from time because it will have a type 8 Aug slot, which will Tee you up to buy a good AC Aug from LDoN raids. You want to be able to put a raid ac Aug in your shield because you get all of the AC. It’s really nice. Also re: importance of the secondary AC augs from LDoN raids, I don’t think I upgraded the Aug until TSS? Crest of the scarlet legions gets to 30 ac + hp. I feel like I had the 25 ac Aug from LDoN for five expansions? But without a type 8 slots you won’t be able to use one. So that means PoTime or Txevu/Zun Muram.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 3, 2022

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Yiggy posted:

The xp in Vxed as an enc charmer will be really good into OoW so going to second the AC stacking and suggest Hp too. You also want to start padding HStam for mitigation and HAgi for avoidance.

*Quarm caster pants, ethereal silk leggings. I did not replace these until OoW because of the +7 hagi
*earring of celestial energy off innoruk. The ward clicky AA line has ac and stacks with form of defense. Ward line is also harder to get. In GoD lavender cloak of destruction drops it in uqua but that will be dropped from raid schedule quickly, because people hate uqua. You won’t see more ward clickies until DoDH I think, off mayong.
*There is a shield that drops from a ring event in PoEarthA with a 10% dodge mod and +7 mana regen. Circular Crystalline Formation. On our server guilds dropped the rings events from their schedule as soon as they could and never went back. You won’t have many shots at that one.
*Veil of the inferno off Bertox in time has form of endurance two clicky, permanent Hp buff.
*Band of primordial energy off RZ has form of defense II, an ac clicky. Tanks will be going hard for it. But that will be the case for every ac clicky until skull of Vishimitar in DoN.
*If you don’t bag a PoEarthA caster shield the Shield of the Tactician has more AC and hstam, off tallon zek iirc. Also, as nice as the PoEarthA shield might be for the dodge, there is an argument to be made that you want the shield of the tactician from time because it will have a type 8 Aug slot, which will Tee you up to buy a good AC Aug from LDoN raids. You want to be able to put a raid ac Aug in your shield because you get all of the AC. It’s really nice. Also re: importance of the secondary AC augs from LDoN raids, I don’t think I upgraded the Aug until TSS? Crest of the scarlet legions gets to 30 ac + hp. I feel like I had the 25 ac Aug from LDoN for five expansions? But without a type 8 slots you won’t be able to use one. So that means PoTime or Txevu/Zun Muram.

This is super helpful. Other than that AHR neck in Luclin and the sigil ear, anything I should try not to leave Luclin without? Any particular place my stats/resists need to be prior to PoP? I think I'm capped on AC with max Combat Stability already so that's something at least.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

There’s an upgrade to the Koadic’s Robe click in PoP in the Shawl of Eternal Forces which gives 8mp/5hp a tick. It’s usable by priests and casters and is Quarm loot so it’s usually highly contested. Also a few equivalents in GoD that are easier to get.

If you don’t get a Wristband of Secrets from VT then try to get a Wand of the Vortex from Plane of Time so you have a dispel click. I’d get a Dagger of Thought for fun too if you haven’t already. It’s a nice tool that doesn’t have an equivalent until DoDh. VT stays a popular off night small raid target for a while due to all the clicks so if you attend those you’ll end up with it all eventually.

Most important thing in PoP is having a lot of level 65 Celestial Healing potions and using them repeatedly through heavy AE damage fights (mostly Plane of Time). Resists and hp matter but with decent gear and enough bards you’ll probably be at cap and then it’s just up to healers and potions.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 3, 2022

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

There’s an upgrade to the Koadic’s Robe click in PoP in the Shawl of Eternal Forces which gives 8mp/5hp a tick. It’s usable by priests and casters and is Quarm loot so it’s usually highly contested. Also a few equivalents in GoD that are easier to get.

If you don’t get a Wristband of Secrets from VT then try to get a Wand of the Vortex from Plane of Time so you have a dispel click. I’d get a Dagger of Thought for fun too if you haven’t already. It’s a nice tool that doesn’t have an equivalent until DoDh. VT stays a popular off night small raid target for a while due to all the clicks so if you attend those you’ll end up with it all eventually.

Most important thing in PoP is having a lot of level 65 Celestial Healing potions and using them repeatedly through heavy AE damage fights (mostly Plane of Time). Resists and hp matter but with decent gear and enough bards you’ll probably be at cap and then it’s just up to healers and potions.

I snagged a Dagger of Thought almost immediately and it has quickly become indispensable, especially when soloing against mobs with mana. I'm definitely considering spending big on a Wristband since that plus a Ring of Immobilization means two spell slots I basically never need to mem again and would greatly simplify my gameplay. I also need to find a cost effective mana preservation item that doesn't share a shoulder slot since Mnemonic has heated up a bit in the bidding. Looks like the other options are mostly Aten loot besides a couple random VT necklaces. Probably worth spending a bit more on the earring then since the SoW clicky would be nice to have.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

yeah the Obsidian something necklace in VT is a pretty decent option. You can use a Crystalline Torque to get mana pres on neck immediately and free up your shoulder for shawl. The Aten mask is really nice relative to any other mana pres in Luclin but gets outclassed in PoP by 20% items that are pretty easy to get as a caster.

And yeah the Ring of Immobilization is great, especially on classes with magic resist debuffs. Root becomes really reliable CC when a mob is at 0 MR, and it’s way more convenient than mez for lining up mobs to have your charm pet chew through.

SoW click becomes less valuable with innate run speed AA in Luclin and then totally moot with the extra AA ranks in GoD. PoP also adds a druid SoW that lasts something like 11 hours with AA/Focus and persists through death. Nice to have the click but not a big deal to miss.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone have any words about Bard gearing or what to look for? I've heard the necklace is very good for me and charm. Apart from that eqitems just seems to suggest mostly VT stuff.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Aten neck is pretty nice for bards since mana regen is a little harder for them to get compared to casters/priests. Mana regen becomes pretty important in PoP when you get Fading Memories.

The other big regen piece I remember bards and rangers wanting was Starred Yttrium Ring from Seru. Honestly everything bards can wear from Seru is pretty dam good.

Besides mana regen just get some cheap raid gear in every slot and spend the rest on clickies. I’d probably want the shrink click as a bard since it’s nice to be small while pulling. In PoP there’s a lot more interesting stuff for bards with instrument mods and heroic stats.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone have any words about Bard gearing or what to look for? I've heard the necklace is very good for me and charm. Apart from that eqitems just seems to suggest mostly VT stuff.

AHR neck you should throw DKP at, but also look for the cloak from Shei, that's another never replaced thing for a Bard.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

yeah the Obsidian something necklace in VT is a pretty decent option. You can use a Crystalline Torque to get mana pres on neck immediately and free up your shoulder for shawl. The Aten mask is really nice relative to any other mana pres in Luclin but gets outclassed in PoP by 20% items that are pretty easy to get as a caster.

And yeah the Ring of Immobilization is great, especially on classes with magic resist debuffs. Root becomes really reliable CC when a mob is at 0 MR, and it’s way more convenient than mez for lining up mobs to have your charm pet chew through.

I ended up snagging a Sky Watcher’s Monocle on a roll off just in time for my 8th shawl escort quest so I’m covered until some bargains show up in VT at least. Good to know about the Mask of Secrets as that was on my potential bid big list. Debating leaning in on the clickies and winning a Wristband for the dispel effect too.

Is Venril Sathir one group-able in Luclin? We never saw a single Shissar Nullifier drop and despite a near-religious checking of the bazaar I’ve never seen on listed either.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think VS is pretty easy to one group with raid gear in Luclin. Just need to outdps his life drain. It’s probably doable with a couple monks or rangers and one healer. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to ask around other guilds if they have extras in their banks they want to sell. It’s really not an in demand item and shouldn’t command a high price, usually people are happy to get rid of it for 1/3 or 1/4 of a krono in plat.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Now that I’m feeling relatively caught up on my ENC main, I think it’s time to revisit the box conversation. Who makes the best trio of boxes in PoP and later? Originally I was going to go ENC/CLR/WIZ but ports are going to be a lot less necessary shortly. I think I still want a CLR, but maybe I swap the WIZ for a MAG so I can get low interaction DPS, lesser malo, summoned gear for ench pets, etc. I’ve got a friendly pocket BRD (Waro) in case that matters for any of this.

Ideally I level something I can main swap to after ENC cools way off (maybe I just do the CLR at that point). Any other combos I’m not thinking of that might be better PoP+?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Melee dps far outpaces caster DPS luclin+, you're probably better off doing SK/SHM/MNK or if you have a static group you'll run with that already has slows, SK/CLR/MNK

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
If you really want to box, you'll regret not having a geared tank after about PoR. Monk/shaman can do a lot, but it only gets harder. SK/Shaman/Monk is probably the ideal.

Enchanter falls off pretty hard during/after GoD, I really wished I'd changed to something else on the last TLP I was on.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Porterhaus posted:

Now that I’m feeling relatively caught up on my ENC main, I think it’s time to revisit the box conversation. Who makes the best trio of boxes in PoP and later? Originally I was going to go ENC/CLR/WIZ but ports are going to be a lot less necessary shortly. I think I still want a CLR, but maybe I swap the WIZ for a MAG so I can get low interaction DPS, lesser malo, summoned gear for ench pets, etc. I’ve got a friendly pocket BRD (Waro) in case that matters for any of this.

Ideally I level something I can main swap to after ENC cools way off (maybe I just do the CLR at that point). Any other combos I’m not thinking of that might be better PoP+?

Enchanter and wizard both get poo poo real fast post PoP/Ldon. Enchanter is useful for buffs and tash only. It can charm in tipt? vxed? but that's it. From then on, you a buffing bot. Wizard damage becomes pretty poo poo. Fights get long, full burn pulls aggro and the damage isn't anything great. Welcome to the melee realm.

SK and/or Monk with a Shaman and ideally an auto follow bard.

e - If you are going to swap, do so soon. Paw 2.0 is amazing exp till the expansion after GoD. A decent geared monk for example can pull practically all the zone and hit riposte along with some other stuff and with lessons running, get a boat load of exp for the group. Camp out and come back in 30 with lessons still up and discs back up. I could do this 5 times or so before lessons would expire and have a boat load of AA exp. Got even faster in GoD.

Tai fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 5, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
SK / Shaman / monk is a stupidly strong combo as others have mentioned. SK becomes godlike as the expansions go on, and monk is just there for white noise free damage (which they are stupidly good at doing with minimal maintenance). Gives you two pullers with FD even, and eventually don't SKs get a necro rez?

If I rolled on another TLP, I already decided it'd be a SK / Shaman duo probably just so I didn't have to fuss with boxing multiple casters like i've always done in the past. Oh, and SK main because lol having a tank with raid gear makes duo / trio camping as a SK a joke.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 6, 2022

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
SK/Shaman/DPS is stupendously powerful, but realistically it comes into its own in Prophecy of Ro with Decrepit Skin, a year or so out from PoP.

Until then the healing needed to keep the SK up is significantly more intense. I really liked SK/Cleric/Bard, and only added the Shaman to my crew in DoN to be leveled for Spirit of Sloth in DoDh. At that point it’s really viable, and PoR just makes it easy.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Porterhaus posted:

Enc/Mag/Clr is not a bad team at all but won’t properly feel powerful until mages take off in power which I’m told is in the 80-85 range. Summoned pets become viable group tanks somewhere at that point. It’s an absurdly good team in PoP specifically though so having it then will be great.

In my experience with the 65-70 range you just want a raid geared monk, ranger, berserker or plate tank to carry your team. There’s pros and cons for each class but monk and SK are just the dominant choices because they’re op as hell.

Also shaman can be pretty viable as a stand in for enchanter even if it doesn’t seem so at first. You really get a lot of ability to control things as a shaman with slow, roots and heals. Their independence as a solo class is enjoyable in the same way enchanter was to me, just missing the infinite damage engine that charm provides. Their DoTs actually kill things though unlike enchanter DoT/Nukes and canni means zero downtime.

You have a lot of time in PoP to level and the rate of AA grinding speeds way up. I think what I’d do is start with mage and cleric, then level a ranger/monk/SK/etc on the mage account. Once that character was up to speed I’d level a shaman and bard on the cleric and enchanter accounts.

Sounds convoluted but it’s pretty fun once you get a good set up to boost your own alts and team up with friends to powerlevel the hell out of the fresh characters. Plenty of time in these expansions to find what classes you want to stick with.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

Sounds convoluted but it’s pretty fun once you get a good set up to boost your own alts and team up with friends to powerlevel the hell out of the fresh characters. Plenty of time in these expansions to find what classes you want to stick with.

Appreciate everyone weighing in! Definitely gives me some ideas to chew on. Speaking of boosting and power leveling strategies - what are the better ones in the SoL/PoP era? Sounds like I’ve got some leveling to do…

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The method I used for low levels was damage shields on a max level character. They round up a mass of mobs, the low levels tag the mobs and get full xp when they die from the damage shields. What kind of buffs you have and what class/gear the max level has determines how huge the pulls can be.

In a perfect world you have a dedicated healer and bard for a massive boost in DS on the one tanking the pull. All you really need is druid/mag DS and Kilva’s Skin of Flame potions to make it workable though.

I’ll add that bard is so good at tagging mobs for PLing like this that it makes sense to roll one just for that purpose while the char you actually want to level sits grouped with them. Their level 2 PBAE dot has a -100 resist mod and can land on mobs that are like 15 levels above them.

The route I used that is mostly off the beaten path:

-For 1-15ish you can turn in red wine in Neriak. Look up the quest Bottle of Red Wine if you aren’t familiar with that: you can basically turn a thousand plat into an instant level 15ish char. It can go higher but slows down a lot past level 10.

Ocean of Tears one of the goblin islands - insane number of super aggressive mobs that are 22-26.

Kaesora undead by Xalgoz - insane ZEM mobs are 30-37. The spiders are a hassle and gate, not worth bothering with. Easy to get a char in grouping range of a 60 or a 65 if you’re patient.

Gunthak - massive number of mobs. popular for PL but the castle area barely gets touched. This was where I got lowbies high enough to group with a level 70 during Omens.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

DS PL can get you as far as probably 30-40 easily. It's better to stack DS on a high level that can tank a train, use a PBAOE to get a 'real' hit in(Player DS damage doesn't count as damage for exp/loot purposes) before the DS kills all the mobs. Druids are made for this.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Porterhaus posted:

Appreciate everyone weighing in! Definitely gives me some ideas to chew on. Speaking of boosting and power leveling strategies - what are the better ones in the SoL/PoP era? Sounds like I’ve got some leveling to do…

Enc/Cleric is the most OP in Luclin/Power followed by raid geared SK/Shaman for farming plane of storms followed by wizard for quad kiting.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Fanelien posted:

DS PL can get you as far as probably 30-40 easily. It's better to stack DS on a high level that can tank a train, use a PBAOE to get a 'real' hit in(Player DS damage doesn't count as damage for exp/loot purposes) before the DS kills all the mobs. Druids are made for this.

Bards are better. Plate tanks that can spam sit and then out of group person just casts and AoE or cycle through mobs to get a 1 dmg melee hit. SK can do it too but longer. Velks is an awesome zone to do this. Cast lessons as mobs get low and camp out while the zone respawns.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

It’s been several years since my last nostalgia tour, and this time I’m looking to play EQ on Steam Deck.

Any recommendations for a solo class that wouldn’t be too high maintenance to manage on handheld?

I did Necro last time, which I’m open to again, but something else would be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Quarterroys posted:

It’s been several years since my last nostalgia tour, and this time I’m looking to play EQ on Steam Deck.

Any recommendations for a solo class that wouldn’t be too high maintenance to manage on handheld?

I did Necro last time, which I’m open to again, but something else would be cool too.

Mage!