Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Popete posted:

Kruggsmash is doing a pet elephant embark

Tuskterrors the Beak of Sneak is a pro fort name

e: beaksnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I got a chuckle out of the publisher also recommending Boyfriend Dungeon and Pupperazzi as something I'd like if I like DF.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
dwarf moods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlYhCQxYlu0&t=11s

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Are there mods for the original music and ASCII? The interface is beautiful.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The first recorded fight in my generated world ist between a Monkey Demon and a Dwarf who got his nose punched in. Im picturing goku for some reason fighting dwarves.
The demon died 135 years later to some random rear end human during a siege.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh my god, the interface looks wonderful

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Reading through my Legends and I love this lady dwarf so much, what a story. That's the end of her page, so she's still at it! :allears:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
newcomers will have no idea the learning hump they no longer have to deal with wrt stairs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Currently DF is listed as the second top seller on Steam, second only to the steam deck, which seems a liiiiiiiiiittle sketchy.

I see over 16,000 people in game, which if my math serves me, is about half a million dollars in first-hour sales.

The deck is only in first place because of its price. It counts sales by dollars spent not number sold

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lol Kruggsmash had a wandering monster hunter join, who started murdering his way through the caverns and is horrified at every death he causes.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
The covers of the original games music are just fantastic. Delightful to boot this up for a sneaky 10 minute embark during work

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
ive closed the tutorial messages andf I've no idea how to open it back up to finish it

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Oh boy I can't wait to drink myself to death in adventure mode again

and by "drink myself to death" I mean "use wonky coding to put myself in a mug and then drink it, vanishing from the world in what the game calls 'an unfortunate accident'"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arrath posted:

Lol Kruggsmash had a wandering monster hunter join, who started murdering his way through the caverns and is horrified at every death he causes.

He is also for some reason a legendary doctor.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Terper posted:

Reading through my Legends and I love this lady dwarf so much, what a story. That's the end of her page, so she's still at it! :allears:

That's amazing. She does well gambling, meets a guy, then does poorly gambling, they break up, and she starts embezzling off and on. Then she takes a break to find herself through troll hunting, settles down with a new job, and starts embezzling again out of habit.

Somewhere along the way she got married.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My God, this music is beautiful.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Shoehead posted:

ive closed the tutorial messages andf I've no idea how to open it back up to finish it

i exited without saving and went back in

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

OwlFancier posted:

He is also for some reason a legendary doctor.

Is this still a sure sign of secret vampirism?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

a7m2 posted:

What are you guys doing for your first embark? I might try finding a volcano
I'm hoping for surface lava and accessible sand so I can make *so much* glass. Ideally with dirt I can surface farm on too. Otherwise I'm gonna wing it oldschool. Figure out how things work by loving around and word of mouth.

Fake edit: Oh you. can't search for volcanos/surface lava, can you. What do volcanos even look like on the new world map?

Omnicarus posted:

I got a chuckle out of the publisher also recommending Boyfriend Dungeon and Pupperazzi as something I'd like if I like DF.

That's steam's algorithm algorithming itself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

William Bear posted:

That's amazing. She does well gambling, meets a guy, then does poorly gambling, they break up, and she starts embezzling off and on. Then she takes a break to find herself through troll hunting, settles down with a new job, and starts embezzling again out of habit.

Somewhere along the way she got married.

Well, I'm sure the lad she married is a devoted dwarf who will love her forever

Uh oh!!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Welp, that's my first fortress flood 10 minutes in lol

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Dwarf Fortress: I somehow flooded my fort in the tutorial

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Congratulations to Tarn for finally making money

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Going through Legends mode and I found this mace "Griprings the Comedic Death" that racked up a couple dozen kills and passed from dwarf -> human -> goblin -> elf -> cave troll and now I'm imagining a particularly bloody episode of Benny Hill

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1600169579917058049?s=20&t=Hr6sa_R8ARTA5RswcdtUdg

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I found what a volcano looks like

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Just watching worldgen just ploughing through the years, goddamn that's fast.

Tip for older players (from Quill18 on reddit the other day) - "Keyboard Cursor enabled" gives you some of the old functionality for designating, etc - without turning off the new mouse support and stuff.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's beautiful and I love it very much, but I don't have a real mouse so I guess I'm just gonna look for now.

^ and you post that as I post this!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
500 years on a medium world doesn't take all that long, if you're into that kind of thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have to say I appreciate the new music, but the constant moaning of the damned that the game has picked for my soundtrack currently could go

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

When I dig out an area for a stockpile, what's the easiest way to clear out the rocks?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Played a little bit over my lunch break, currently frustrated that a decade+ of muscle memory doesn't work anymore.

I also don't remember Aquifers being this omnipresent.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

While embarking I checked for aquifers and such, to avoid the most common killer of forts because I wanted to have at least a fighting chance since I'm not having much luck learning the shortcuts as quickly as I'd hoped.

I got a stoneworkers workshop down, and a few other things down, as well as my main room smoothed.
As I dug a bit further down, a cave opened up and this, in turn attracted a monster hunter.

Then, the monster slayer decided that the best thing to do would be to attack a toad, which immediately pummeled him to death, and then went to town on my dwarves.

Note to self: Don't accept visitors coming to petition you to hunt.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Peewi posted:

When I dig out an area for a stockpile, what's the easiest way to clear out the rocks?

Plop down a stoneworking shop and turn em into blocks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arrath posted:

Plop down a stoneworking shop and turn em into blocks
or mugs

Are y’all finding the same number of Z levels and such as before?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Peewi posted:

Here's what I did back in the day:

- Dig a little one-tile alcove in a hallway somewhere.
- Dig DOWN on that tile a few levels
- Build some stairs back up (either right next to it, or somewhere else).
- Back at the top, you designate the empty hole and the hallway tile next to it as a refuse zone.
- Then, marking all of those rocks for disposal will have your poo poo-haulers chucking rocks down the hole.

Then I would just Z-level down to the bottom of the pit every so often and unmark the rocks as refuse, and stoneworkers will pull from the pile.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 6, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm sitting at the doctor's office waiting for an appointment. Really wish I was still playing my fortress

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Deki posted:

Played a little bit over my lunch break, currently frustrated that a decade+ of muscle memory doesn't work anymore.

I also don't remember Aquifers being this omnipresent.

Yeah, but light aquifers are a completely reasonable challenge right now. Only really a problem if you ignore them and don't wall them off before the water builds up.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, it seems like a major change in the event system is that the game doesn't appear to pause in places where it used to pause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How do I fence a pasture? I can't find fenceposts in the carpenter's shop.