Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i'm trying to mine some underground areas and basic stuff in the tutorial, but none of the people are taking up the task. how do i prod them to get to work?

i looked at another video, and the citizens just got straight to work. is it because they're going by eu labour laws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It'll be good to get back into this after not having played in a while and I'm glad it's selling well; bloody well-deserved.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
drat, even their website is crashing. I can't wait to see their monthly report. It'll be like

December: $500000
November: $14071.27
October: $15374.72
September: $14679.51
August: $14555.24
July: $15238.83

And I'm ready for it. So happy for these guys.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kliras posted:

i'm trying to mine some underground areas and basic stuff in the tutorial, but none of the people are taking up the task. how do i prod them to get to work?

i looked at another video, and the citizens just got straight to work. is it because they're going by eu labour laws?

For some reason the tutorial only gives you one miner. Go into the labor view (bottom left somewhere) and assign your expedition leader or someone else as a second miner

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Holy poo poo over 19k players.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And that’s with everyone at work on a Tuesday morning.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Three more hours until I'm home from work fuuuuuuccccckkkkkk

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Watching some streams and the UI looks really nice. Seeing a Dwarf Therapist like work orders menu.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm sitting at the doctor's office waiting for an appointment. Really wish I was still playing my fortress

im working from home and like, who is going to stop me? me, im stopping me, but i dont want me to stop me. stop stopping me me

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Adnor posted:

Holy poo poo over 19k players.

Who are the 7 psychopaths who gave the game a bad review

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nice game. Is there some way to make the game run slower? It feels like time runs so fast in the game, I can't keep track of stuff.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Khanstant posted:

im working from home and like, who is going to stop me? me, im stopping me, but i dont want me to stop me. stop stopping me me

Hey, go gently caress yourself and play dwarfs

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ihmemies posted:

Nice game. Is there some way to make the game run slower? It feels like time runs so fast in the game, I can't keep track of stuff.

Hit the pause button.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

A number of the negative reviews are veteran players warning other veteran players that it's difficult to relearn the controls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably expect a lot more to be honest, DF has never really "worked" as a game once you play it for a bit and obviously has a rather high barrier of entry as well, I would assume most of the early adopters are people who already know it and like it but I would expect a significant number of new players to bounce off it and also for more complaints to come in once people stick with it long enough to reach the long term problems with the simulation's comprehensibility and usability that aren't purely UI related.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Popete posted:

A number of the negative reviews are veteran players warning other veteran players that it's difficult to relearn the controls.

Skill issue, the controls seen great.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm ready for people calling this a Rimworld clone on twitch.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
a necromancer was in my first migrant wave

cursed volcano desert fort is picking up

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm ready for people calling this a Rimworld clone on twitch.

It's already happening in the reviews

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

quote:

I don't like the new control scheme. I paid the money, and I'm happy I did, but I can't recommend it as the authentic DF experience until you guys port over the ASCII graphics and classic mode control scheme. DF is a brilliant game and I don't want it to be debased or watered down with fleeting things like "graphics" or "mouse controls". I don't want tutorial popups or tooltips or thoughtful explanations to make it feel like I'm playing some cute little indie game. This isn't stardew valley

quote:

A blatant plagiary and copy/paste of rimworld with minecraft graphics.
The developers don't even bother to hide this fact and did this with zero shame.
don't buy.

:cawg: these have to be trolls

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Arrath posted:

Plop down a stoneworking shop and turn em into blocks

Usually this is the answer, but if you specifically want to save the rocks for some later use you can designate a rock stockpile somewhere else (inside or outside) and assign a few wheelbarrows to it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I would probably expect a lot more to be honest, DF has never really "worked" as a game once you play it for a bit and obviously has a rather high barrier of entry as well, I would assume most of the early adopters are people who already know it and like it but I would expect a significant number of new players to bounce off it and also for more complaints to come in once people stick with it long enough to reach the long term problems with the simulation's comprehensibility and usability that aren't purely UI related.

Particularly at the 30.00 USD price point, I am worried we'll see new players bounce off hard, refund, and then review bomb it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose as a point of comparison, workers and resources soviet republic is also extremely difficult to figure out how to play, although I would say it is at least an actual game once you do figure it out, and it maintains a positive review score, but it's also not enormously popular in general. DF getting a lot of general attention and being much better known generally I think runs the risk of attracting a lot of people who don't really get what they're buying, as I don't think the store page makes it quite clear (although frankly I also don't know how you even begin to describe it to someone accurately)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"the Sims for people with extremely strong opinions on VI vs. Emacs"

e: or more broadly, a virtual dollhouse. even in its most martial elements, you don't win fights in Dwarf Fortress through strategy and tactics; you win by dressing your little guys up the best and making sure you'd played with them regularly

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 6, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Coming into DF from Rimworld, I'm not finding the UI impossible to figure out (for obvious reasons).

Is there any way to set a task to repeat N times? It looks like the options are "repeat forever" and "do once", which is kind of a drag.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Coming into DF from Rimworld, I'm not finding the UI impossible to figure out (for obvious reasons).

Is there any way to set a task to repeat N times? It looks like the options are "repeat forever" and "do once", which is kind of a drag.

Assign someone as a manager in the nobles and administration screen. Then assign him a study/office. Then make work orders

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can place orders through the manager. 30 chairs or what have you.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I haven't gotten this far in the fancy version yet, but once you set a dwarf as manager and give them an office you can make all sorts of granular settings like "when there are less than 100 units of alcohol, set X number of brew orders" etc and iirc repeating N times is part of that (i also haven't played for years before now so someone might have clearer instructions)

edit: of course I was beaten hell yeah

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
df will be fine; the whole barrier to entry was with a worse UI that focused mostly on hotkeys, which isn't the case here. otherwise it's a cosmetically very deep, but otherwise somewhat simple colony game (outside of the military, still) that the genre for the past like twenty years has emulated. it's not simple, but it's still straight forward.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The seven suckers who just got sent to make an outpost in the sinister mountains next to the haunted forest.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Over 20k concurrent players, hell yeah.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Something this release badly needs: customizable "pause on..." prompts. Currently the game does not seem to auto pause on any event and that's certainly unusual.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish they didn't smooth out the pixels in higher resolutions, the text looks like it's from a filtered snes game.

Also, is this just me?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is the tutorial fortress always named "tubesgilt"? I somehow find the name funny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose as a point of comparison, workers and resources soviet republic is also extremely difficult to figure out how to play, although I would say it is at least an actual game once you do figure it out, and it maintains a positive review score, but it's also not enormously popular in general. DF getting a lot of general attention and being much better known generally I think runs the risk of attracting a lot of people who don't really get what they're buying, as I don't think the store page makes it quite clear (although frankly I also don't know how you even begin to describe it to someone accurately)

Yeah that's a danger but on the other hand I think the one thing everyone who knows anything about DF knows is that it's known for absolutely inscrutable complexity. Like, that's the brand. Complaining about inscrutability in DF is like complaining that the black diamond slope wasn't a good training course.

Estel
May 4, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

I wish they didn't smooth out the pixels in higher resolutions, the text looks like it's from a filtered snes game.

Also, is this just me?

I had that problem too when playing at 4k, you have to change the options below that to fixt it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

My god, being able to look at your dwarves and have the information laid out sensibly, instead of the old wall of text

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They’re gonna make a million bucks off this this week.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

They’re gonna make a million bucks off this this week.

I hope they net that. I wonder what Steam and Kitfox's cuts are.

Tarn and Zach absolutely deserve the pile of cash, I'm so happy for 'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

manero posted:

I hope they net that. I wonder what Steam and Kitfox's cuts are.

Tarn and Zach absolutely deserve the pile of cash, I'm so happy for 'em

Steam's cut is 30%, no idea what KitFox's is.