Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Looking up imperial units is fun because outside of the normal inches, feet, yards, gallons, pounds, etc. you have absolute loving nonsense like grains, barleycorns, furlongs, hands, slugs, tuns, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are caps not numbered parts that can be matched to a specific machine?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
if the problem is that some caps have been lost and there are more machines than caps then the only solution is to get more caps. doesn't matter how you tie caps to machines there still isn't going to be enough of them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But if people start swapping them about it becomes trackable. Maybe you can work out which fucko keeps chucking the caps out with the packaging.

I mean, you should just get more loving caps, but if they're worth more than gold you gotta start closely tracking poo poo.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Escape From Noise posted:

Looking up imperial units is fun because outside of the normal inches, feet, yards, gallons, pounds, etc. you have absolute loving nonsense like grains, barleycorns, furlongs, hands, slugs, tuns, etc.

Time to quote my favourite Wikipedia article again?

Tractatus de Ponderibus et Mensuris posted:

And an ounce weighs twenty pence. And twelve ounces make a pound of London. And twelve & a half pounds make a stone of London. And eight pounds of wheat make a gallon. Pound contains twenty shillings. And eight gallons make a bushel of London.
[…]
And two Weys of wool make a sack, And 12 sacks make a last. But a last of herrings contains 10 thousand, and each Thousand contains 10 hundred, and each hundred contains 120.

A last of leather consists of twenty dicker, and each dicker consists of ten skins.

Also a dicker of gloves consists of ten pairs, but a dicker of horse-shoes consists of twenty shoes.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 6, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

twenty dicker and one stone of London plz

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

My boss asked me about making a hard seltzer. I think I've traveled back in time to the year 2019. Maybe he'll ask me for a brut IPA next.

God, I'm so glad the days of every brewery trying to jump on the hard seltzer bandwagon for a quick buck seem to be over. I gotta say, though, I do kinda miss brut IPA. The neighbor brewery of the last place I worked in Chicago (which, along with the brewery I worked at, is also closed) made a really nice one.

TaurusTorus posted:

It drives me nuts too to see 4.6e^-5 gallons/minute but yes, that is how our software puts it. If it’s any consolation, buyers can change it.

TaurusTorus posted:

(and pseudo-Rankine sometimes)

:wtc:

Shithouse Dave posted:

I would absolutely struggle working in brewing in the states. We work in litres and hectolitres, metres and millimetres, grams and kilograms, and everything is easy.
It was a trip working in Canada in my old industry and suddenly cables were in feet, not metres. Except when they weren’t. Just metric everything, imo

Also I cannot stop reading bbl as “bubble”.

This is something I miss about working in Denmark: Doing everything in metric after growing up using US imperial was mindblowing, and calculating things like volume in the US is loving hilarious after working exclusively in metric for a while. Also researching old English ale recipes is :psyduck: because old UK imperial units are batshit stupid.

Although I'm kinda glad I never got used to Denmark's number system where numbers are said like "five and four half-twenties".

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2022

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RocketMermaid posted:

Although I'm kinda glad I never got used to Denmark's number system where numbers are said like "five and four half-twenties".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rmBqIFeHN8

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've never worked in a lab that hasn't used metric

I think if I found out a lab was using imperial I would... not work there, lol

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

each hundred contains 120

:ughh:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Johnny Truant posted:

I was talking to a co-worker, who told me once on a client call, the client specified that we include "1 kilogram = 1000 grams" on every batch record

That's just in case some computer converts it to 1024 grams.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Johnny Truant posted:

A science lab using imperial is an alchemy lab. Igor get me a hog's head of leeches this man's humours are our of balance!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Zopotantor posted:

Time to quote my favourite Wikipedia article again?

Also a dicker of gloves consists of ten pairs, but a dicker of horse-shoes consists of twenty shoes.

This actually makes sense in a strange way since 10 pairs is 20 gloves, same as the horseshoes.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Neco posted:

It‘s amazing how utterly terrified Americans have learned to react to unit conversion in general.

Converting feet to meters is easy, I can do that in my head. Converting between metric and imperial coordinate systems is where it gets tricky.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Buttchocks posted:

Converting feet to meters is easy, I can do that in my head. Converting between metric and imperial coordinate systems is where it gets tricky.

*me scrolling through options in a dropdown box*

"Imperial foot. Foot. US survey foot. Whyyyy"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

pumped up for school posted:

*me scrolling through options in a dropdown box*

"Imperial foot. Foot. US survey foot. Whyyyy"

Oh poo poo did the definition of foot change since England got a new monarch?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tarkus posted:

This actually makes sense in a strange way since 10 pairs is 20 gloves, same as the horseshoes.

But a horse has four feet! It should be 40 horseshoes!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

~Coxy posted:

But a horse has four feet! It should be 40 horseshoes!

And that's terrible

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

My mom and I were talking and she mentioned using the apothecary system of like grains and drams and the confusion over the symbols for each when she was starting out in nursing.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah. Sure. Let's put " dark honey" in the name of a beer with no honey and tack on the word "strong" so people know that the Belgian dark strong, is in fact, strong. This will definitely not cause unnecessary confusion with the imperial stout with honey we'll be releasing next month.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 7, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

A science lab using imperial is an alchemy lab. Igor get me a hog's head of leeches this man's humours are our of balance!

actual irl lol

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

That's just in case some computer converts it to 1024 grams.

duh, that‘s actually a kibigram.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Johnny Truant posted:

It happened once at NASA.

Didn't end so well for a Mars mission.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Lmao: the company I currently work for (until I leave in Jan :toot:) does some advertising campaigns for clients and just made a song and dance about doing an upcoming NFT project for a client - in Dec 2022.

I posted charts about how the NFT bubble has basically already burst and the response, after several hours, was "well, uh, the campaign doesn't actually need to sell any to be successful" to which I replied "why bother with NFTs then?" and the best reponse was "well, uh, it's the client's decision to make and we don't really care because we get paid either way".

I've already resigned so I couldn't care less about arguing further, but this strikes me as both monumentally stupid and incredibly selfish. I equate it to "well, they might be Nazis asking us to make flags for them, but they pay well and we get to work with nice fabric so get sewing".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From that response I'd say it's more "we know this medical procedure won't help you, but you're paying for it so let's get some anaesthetic in you".

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
So less extreme but still pretty cynical

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sewing Nazi flags is itself reprehensible, selling NFTs is just wasting the client's money. They're both cynical acts but only one of them gets you arrested in Germany.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So NFTs are just MLMs that sell monkey drawings instead of essential oils, got it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface posted:

Sewing Nazi flags is itself reprehensible, selling NFTs is just wasting the client's money. They're both cynical acts but only one of them gets you arrested in Germany.

NFTs are literally killing the planet. So is everything else I guess. gently caress the planet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
True, I had not considered the automatic energy costs of NFTs.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

nexus6 posted:

Lmao: the company I currently work for (until I leave in Jan :toot:) does some advertising campaigns for clients and just made a song and dance about doing an upcoming NFT project for a client - in Dec 2022.

I posted charts about how the NFT bubble has basically already burst and the response, after several hours, was "well, uh, the campaign doesn't actually need to sell any to be successful" to which I replied "why bother with NFTs then?" and the best reponse was "well, uh, it's the client's decision to make and we don't really care because we get paid either way".

I've already resigned so I couldn't care less about arguing further, but this strikes me as both monumentally stupid and incredibly selfish. I equate it to "well, they might be Nazis asking us to make flags for them, but they pay well and we get to work with nice fabric so get sewing".

I used to work in medical advertising at one point in my life. When I left, my company had scored a contract with Coca-Cola. Their brief? They wanted to use the line that a bottle of Coke was as healthy as a banana.

To be clear, the specific argument they wanted to make was that there was a particular substance (it's been long enough that I don't recall the exact thing) in Coke that was being called out as potentially dangerous, and Coke wanted to point out that there was as much of this substance in a bottle of Coke as there was in a banana so it's not a big deal. However, for whatever reason the client really wanted to draw an overall equivalency in health terms between a bottle of Coke and a banana for the central messaging.

Most everyone in the company was shrugging their shoulders and saying "This is dumb as hell but hey, if the client wants it they're paying, not our problem if they get mocked relentlessly for it."

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I listened to Welcome to Sky Valley, Blood Mountain, Sound & Fury, Variations on a Theme and Crack the Skye plus a smattering of HoF on killer noise canceling headphones I made the circuitboard for while cutting boards out of panels for 8 hours and got paid a lot of money to do it last night.

The dumbest thing my work ever did was decide to shut their bread and butter plant down due to snap COVID decisions, and then double down on it when they started making record profit off... our product lines. Because none of our competitors can keep up with production and neither can their CMOs. they're going to replace us with the same CMOs while they get their poo poo together, which they never will

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

I listened to Welcome to Sky Valley, Blood Mountain, Sound & Fury, Variations on a Theme and Crack the Skye plus a smattering of HoF on killer noise canceling headphones I made the circuitboard for while cutting boards out of panels for 8 hours and got paid a lot of money to do it last night.

The dumbest thing my work ever did was decide to shut their bread and butter plant down due to snap COVID decisions, and then double down on it when they started making record profit off... our product lines. Because none of our competitors can keep up with production and neither can their CMOs. they're going to replace us with the same CMOs while they get their poo poo together, which they never will

Ever since the start of Covid, my company is making just stunning, record breaking amounts of money doing what we've always done, and they're taking all this money and spending it on expanding into niche luxury crap instead of oh I dunno securing our own supply lines so we can keep doing the thing we do that makes all the money in the first place

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The year they are shutting down the plant that makes them all their money to send a bunch of stuff back to the DE line that kept sending entire product lines back to us because they couldn't loving figure it out is also the year their main competitor, an American company, is wholesale canceling production of entire product lines because they can't secure supply chains with their CMOs.

To send a bulk of the boards that we produce to CMOs since the guys at home base can't figure it the gently caress out.

Lmao they're throwing away like 400+ years of combined surface mount soldering and equipment experience with the people they have left, not to mention or account for the people they let go since late 2020. There are open job offers to assist the plant in DE, but they will not assist financially. Absolutely loving unbelievable.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
A vendor was on site today, part of some development work. We had a meeting scheduled afterward with the vendor's team who weren't on site to discuss the findings. In the meeting, my boss sits at the head of the table, power move. My boss also did not set up the conference room on Teams, so the phone didn't work. We had to wait for the vendor to get on guest wifi, then use their laptop as a speakerphone. No one on the call could hear my boss. They kept talking over him and asking him to repeat stuff. So powerful.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Intriguing power move: A client sent one of the valuers next door some thank you and merry Christmas flowers. Now the valuer is feeling guilty because he hasn't actually written her report.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jaguars! posted:

Intriguing power move: A client sent one of the valuers next door some thank you and merry Christmas flowers. Now the valuer is feeling guilty because he hasn't actually written her report.

lmao

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

:actually: I think Jurassic Dark is a great name for the Belgian dark strong as is and it doesn't need to be added to. You are messing with perfection, sir! :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am getting an additional bonus this year for my performance in not selling things and for not being a problem.

Thanks, I will continue to blend fully into the furniture until I can become a successful ambush predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Barudak posted:

I am getting an additional bonus this year for my performance in not selling things and for not being a problem.

Thanks, I will continue to blend fully into the furniture until I can become a successful ambush predator.

I am very happy for you and also hate you with every fiber of my being.