Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

According to somebody in discord, Kitfox apparently takes 80% until they've made back their investment, at which point it'll be 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

manero posted:

I hope they net that. I wonder what Steam and Kitfox's cuts are.

Tarn and Zach absolutely deserve the pile of cash, I'm so happy for 'em

Not sure on Kitfox but Steam is usually a flat 30%. I know for Stardew Valley, CA ended up getting a little under 50% after Chucklefish and Steam took their cuts.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

When attacked, do I have to set up a military or are the dwarves capable of grabbing a weapon from a stockpile to defend themselves with?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Imo the tutorial needs to do a lot more for new players.

Currently it tells you:
- Building an up/down stair
- digging
- designating a stockpile
- Felling a tree
- building a workshop & bed and placing one bed. It talks about zones too but doesnt tell you how to place zones or make you do it.
- inspecting a dwarf/animals stats and closing the sheet
- plopping down a trade depot while talking about producing stuff and encrusting it.

So it's obviously *very* barebones. At the very least you'd also need to know about farming and brewing imo. Advanced tutorials would also be good for stuff like managers, warfare and squads etc.

Peewi posted:

When attacked, do I have to set up a military or are the dwarves capable of grabbing a weapon from a stockpile to defend themselves with?

You will need to designate a military squad which you can "activate" from memory, they will grab their equipment then and fight.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Rodney The Yam II posted:

i started crying when the guitar started :unsmith:

Dude same

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i last played this in like idk 2009 wheres the quick newb guide at

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FrickenMoron posted:

So it's obviously *very* barebones. At the very least you'd also need to know about farming and brewing imo. Advanced tutorials would also be good for stuff like managers, warfare and squads etc.

You will need to designate a military squad which you can "activate" from memory, they will grab their equipment then and fight.
Yes! Drowning here! Not literally ... yet. But I would like the very basics on "what do you do with your animals" "how do you hunt", and yeah, it sounds like the manager is critical.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

It is here! I can't believe it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Hm, I cannot find where to assign dwarves to a chair or table in the new UI. Anyone figured it out?

edit: aha! It's handled via Zones now!

necrotic fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 6, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

For anybody else starting out on the ground level, Polygon has posted a "first steps" guide.https://www.polygon.com/guides/23488713/dwarf-fortress-first-fortress-basics-guide-help-design-plan-steps

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I figured out the squads menu and told my dwarves to kill the human corpses that had invaded my fort.

The human corpses killed all my dwarves.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

FrickenMoron posted:

Currently it tells you:
- Building an up/down stair
- digging
- designating a stockpile
- Felling a tree
- building a workshop & bed and placing one bed. It talks about zones too but doesnt tell you how to place zones or make you do it.
- inspecting a dwarf/animals stats and closing the sheet
- plopping down a trade depot while talking about producing stuff and encrusting it.

At the end of the tutorial it does show you where to see more mini task specific tutorials. You look at those?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

necrotic posted:

Hm, I cannot find where to assign dwarves to a chair or table in the new UI. Anyone figured it out?
Make zones with "z" or the green highlighted square next to the stockpiles icon, then something something assign with the nobles/administrators menu (crown on the left or "n")

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Was the wildlife always this intent on killing you?

The eagles, ravens and keas keep pestering my outdoor working dwarves, and a yak claimed 7 of my 16 dwarves.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I literally don't have my computer ATM or i would absolutely have a story by now for the gang tag tax, but in the meanwhile have one from before steam - featuring mist.

My fort map featured a nice waterfall, which I immediately planned on building a nice window to for my dwarfs. After some in game years and a dining hall set up in the cliff behind the waterfall, i open up the wall to give my dwarfs a nice view and for the occasional happy thought from the mist that drifts through.

Soon after, i start noticing dwarfs and pets being found dead. It didn't take much investigating to notice that some dwarfs we're getting either swept out the hole by some occasionally errant water, or down some stairs not far from the waterfall window, down several z levels to a painful death.

I finally close up the hole again, losing a construction dwarf in the process, when i get a few drowning notifications.

Water had been slipping into the fort, down the stairs, and filled enough of a crafting room to trap and drown the workers in there. All for a few happy thoughts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Harminoff posted:

At the end of the tutorial it does show you where to see more mini task specific tutorials. You look at those?

Nope, just saw that it tells you "yeah go to the help menu", i'll take another look at that.

My only volcano in this world is on an island surrounded by saltwater! Anything I should know about getting water at a place like that?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What's the default hotkey to open combat logs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peewi posted:

I figured out the squads menu and told my dwarves to kill the human corpses that had invaded my fort.

The human corpses killed all my dwarves.

This is how almost all interactions with the military aspect of the game are likely to go, it deliberately does not communicate the threat level of anything or the degree of practical ability you can expect from your soldiers. Broadly if you spend a lot of time training your soldiers and a lot of time equipping them you might possibly be able to take on small numbers of goblins with casualties. The general approach to fighting enemies is to simply not do it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

the more things change the more they stay the same

OwlFancier posted:

This is how almost all interactions with the military aspect of the game are likely to go, it deliberately does not communicate the threat level of anything or the degree of practical ability you can expect from your soldiers.
idk if I'd go that far, there's just some knowledge roadbumps like "zombies are incredibly loving dangerous" to get over

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Watching some streams and the UI looks really nice. Seeing a Dwarf Therapist like work orders menu.
This was my only concern, playing without Dwarf Therapist. Does the new UI have a reasonable way to assign jobs or are you stuck ordering dwarves one by one?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 6, 2022

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Diogines posted:

This was my only concern, playing without Dwarf Therapist. Does the new UI have a reasonable way to assign jobs or are you stuck dwarves one by one?

Yes, its similar to therapist in that you see everyone at once and can toggle through labor 'groups' to assign to Everyone, Specific Dwarves, or Disable Entirely.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Arrath posted:

Lol Kruggsmash had a wandering monster hunter join, who started murdering his way through the caverns and is horrified at every death he causes.

Krugg just set up a memorial for the guy, turns out he'd killed a dragon in worldgen and turned its talons into a crown.

Then he shows up at Krugg's fort, dashed down into the caverns, then got merc'd by some random troglodytes.

We only know this because his ghost started haunting the fort, whereupon a grave was made and the story of the dragon fight was carved into the tombstone.

Never change DF :allears:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

necrotic posted:

Yes, its similar to therapist in that you see everyone at once and can toggle through labor 'groups' to assign to Everyone, Specific Dwarves, or Disable Entirely.

You can also set up your own custom groups, which is nice.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:stare: a giant monarch butterfly is wrestling a dwarven child to death

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

necrotic posted:

Lovely, thank you.

I wonder if the Dwarf Therapist maker will ever make another version? It gives you lots of other useful information, I'd still play with it if I could.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Where does all the text show up in the new UI?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

momuz is loving dead

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Am I dumb or is there no way to place bigger farm plots now than 1 by 1 and having to designate every tiles crop one by one for every season?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Farm plots work like designations now, where you click and drag to draw them

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Am I dumb or is there no way to place bigger farm plots now than 1 by 1 and having to designate every tiles crop one by one for every season?

When I placed over loam the color of the zone is basically invisible so it wasn’t obvious at first but same as every other designation: click one to start, click again to draw rect

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
My first attempt had half a dozen armored goblins waiting for my dwarves at the embarkation site. The fortress lasted about 15 seconds.

My second attempt had my carpenter fall into the volcano (I assume? He disappeared at the same time as I discovered an interesting volcanic wall) within the first minute.

Never change, DF.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

necrotic posted:

When I placed over loam the color of the zone is basically invisible so it wasn’t obvious at first but same as every other designation: click one to start, click again to draw rect

Yeah I had the same issue, it's basically invisible..

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My first migrant wave was 2 adults and 6 children. Four of them are this guy's:

He has 9 children, only one of which is a son. I retired the fort to check legends and he didn't really do anything of note except have six apprentices, one of which is a great horned owl woman.

They're probably going to starve to death or something while I slowly piddle along trying to learn how to do things.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

OwlFancier posted:

This is how almost all interactions with the military aspect of the game are likely to go, it deliberately does not communicate the threat level of anything or the degree of practical ability you can expect from your soldiers. Broadly if you spend a lot of time training your soldiers and a lot of time equipping them you might possibly be able to take on small numbers of goblins with casualties. The general approach to fighting enemies is to simply not do it.

the bigger thing is that combat is extremely lethal (except when it isn't (still is then tho)) and while you can, in theory, train up to be little dodgy gremlins, the mainway to go is to load up your soldiers with armor. which you won't have for a hot minute. so every threat needs to be considered deadly serious

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

The eagles, ravens and keas keep pestering my outdoor working dwarves, and a yak claimed 7 of my 16 dwarves.

A season later, after being harassed by more swooping birds, a horde of unicorns came by and killed my remaining dwarves.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
boatmurdered lives again

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

I did notice that in the worldgen/embark screen (I forget which), you can select which kinds of being can become enemies (including werebeasts, forgotten beasts and such) - and among those options were regular animals, I think?

It wouldn't be the first time a change to existing systems have made Dwarf Fortress a much more difficult game, so I'm ready for it.

Clocks posted:

My first migrant wave was 2 adults and 6 children. Four of them are this guy's:

He has 9 children, only one of which is a son. I retired the fort to check legends and he didn't really do anything of note except have six apprentices, one of which is a great horned owl woman.

They're probably going to starve to death or something while I slowly piddle along trying to learn how to do things.
Good news, you now have haulers - since children can be set to haul stuff now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

First fort in a lot of years. A LOT of years.

Looks like the wagon broke down here in this hole, so I guess this is where they live now.

Fortunately, a stone's throw away was a usable cliff face. The dwarves immediately set to the work of digging in, ignoring all other needs. Someone would be assigned to make trinkets soon, as well as a depot, with the plan to simply buy a year's worth of drinks and cheese when the first caravan arrives.

Soon, the dwarves began to dive down, as they are wont to do. A slowly curving ramp, circling a vast open chamber, itself hundreds of feet from floor to ceiling.

As they progressed deeper into the stone, they engraved the story of their arrival upon the walls and floors, covering every inch in memorials to dead rats and interesting plant leaves they saw along the way to their new home.

For now, they would sleep in the halls. Time enough later to establish quarters; the more immediate need was a place to gather, to drink, to eat, to welcome new dwarves to the family.

From the upper catwalks, they could look down below as they worked and be welcomed with a stunning view of their new great hall, occasionally populated by dwarves, often filled with livestock.

Grand stairwells in every corner, they knew countless future dwarves would flow through here on a daily basis, and they must plan ahead.

STRIKE THE EARTH

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 6, 2022

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PS gang tag me please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

What could go wrong settling next to a volcano.