Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Arc Light posted:

The core gameplay is enjoyable enough that it's worth playing, but man, this really is just a beta. Lots of games, especially multiplayer games, advertise content that will release after the game itself, but I can't remember the last time I saw buttons marketed "coming soon" in a notionally complete game.

yeah, this is effectively beta 2, "release" will be spring of next year I wager.

still a fun beta even without the loot system working properly which is why we've all been putting up with fatshark for the past 7 god drat years lmao. if they didn't have a track record of actually fixing and improving their games I would have bailed already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, I don't think I would have put up with as many crashes if this was literally any other game.

That and their reconnect system kinda rules.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

already seeing the death of this game in a low pop region

went from easily finding diff 3. games with experienced players any time of the day to afking at the start of an empty mission waiting for newer players to join. the discords I was using are also really slowing down so won't even have mega-nerds before long.

real shame because the 40K is strong and the gameplay is strong but, fairly, there is not a lot going on to retain players after a point

easy to forget its only one week after release with how bad its looking

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not trying to defend some of the atrocious decisions around item progression and the silly bugs and poor design around weeklies, etc., but I will say that I find that they seem to frustrate me less than they do others. I've talked about them just to kind of contribute to the conversation around them, but here's my approach: I'm just playing the game and enjoying it in the run in the moment. All the meta progression, crafting, weeklies, penances.. if it works out, cool, but it's not something I'm chasing because those systems as they exist today suck.

Yes, that means I may not be able to try out certain builds or play styles or have the perfect set up, but honestly, the gameplay itself is enjoyable enough to me that I don't find myself needing all that just yet. And I've put an ungodly amount of hours in already.

I don't know if that helps anyone, but I guess that's my advice. Just enjoy the individual runs and let the rest be ancillary, the cherry on top.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Qmass posted:

went from easily finding diff 3. games with experienced players any time of the day to afking at the start of an empty mission waiting for newer players to join. the discords I was using are also really slowing down so won't even have mega-nerds before long.

real shame because the 40K is strong and the gameplay is strong but, fairly, there is not a lot going on to retain players after a point

The game does seem to give precedent to started games if you are having trouble, I've had several times when I've started a game with only bots and within 20 seconds three more people got dropped in.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not trying to defend some of the atrocious decisions around item progression and the silly bugs and poor design around weeklies, etc., but I will say that I find that they seem to frustrate me less than they do others. I've talked about them just to kind of contribute to the conversation around them, but here's my approach: I'm just playing the game and enjoying it in the run in the moment. All the meta progression, crafting, weeklies, penances.. if it works out, cool, but it's not something I'm chasing because those systems as they exist today suck.

Yes, that means I may not be able to try out certain builds or play styles or have the perfect set up, but honestly, the gameplay itself is enjoyable enough to me that I don't find myself needing all that just yet. And I've put an ungodly amount of hours in already.

I don't know if that helps anyone, but I guess that's my advice. Just enjoy the individual runs and let the rest be ancillary, the cherry on top.

I've taken a similar attitude. It got me through Vermintide 2 despite all the bugs in that over the years, and it's serving me well for Darktide. I find the core moment to moment gameplay to be so fun that I can overlook the broader progression system issues and such. Admittedly I've been fortunate to not have any of the major crashes or performance issues that plagued others, which makes the heretic-slaughtering pill much easier to swallow.

Just how precisely Fatshark nailed the feel of the 40k setting can't be overstated. The original Dawn of War RTS game was what got me into 40k, and seeing this boots on the ground perspective of regular* humans is viscerally satisfying. Especially when marveling at the boom of bolter fire and the chunks of heretic left in its wake.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The fact that it looks, sounds, and feels so good means im gonna play this for a few hundred hours easy. I will spend that time dreaming on what new environments we might get to fight in for DLC/expansions or whatever. I love ship combat stuff so a space hulk would be cool (and easy given their current bank of assets) - I could see big battles being waged in a giant reactor room where you have these gigantic towers that pulse with energy and stuff. Or fighting through to gunbays to load the massive 40k ship guns. And then other ways like jungle planets or snowy cities or whatever.

While dreaming of that I would like fatshark to actually make the stuff around the core gameplay good, because 90% of people are not just closing their eyes to the problems

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I got a dagger with a high roll on mobility and you really do notice the difference in sprint speed

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does anyone else find something about the game's... responsiveness? Off? I don't know if its networking and I'm rubber banding a little, or if my 3060 laptop is struggling to keep frame rate even on my very low settings, or if I'm just bad and I'm getting mentally overloaded when playing, but I'm having a fundamental problem where I'm getting hit in melee when I don't really expect to be, I'm missing shots I feel like I should hit, and my movement is never as fast or as immediate as I'd like; fundamentally I can't tell if it's the game, or me, or if it's even the same thing every time, but the long and the short of it is I'm not actually having much fun and I'm only still playing because all my friends are. Is this happening to anyone else?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Design issues aside, the gameplay feels actually complete and functional unlike VT2 which was buggy as poo poo and constantly infuriating. sure it sucks that basically everything outside of darktide’s in-mission gameplay isn’t finished but I’d much rather have it that way than the hypothetical reverse of some kind of robust itemization and progression systems bolted onto gameplay that felt broken or wasn’t fun.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

I've taken a similar attitude. It got me through Vermintide 2 despite all the bugs in that over the years, and it's serving me well for Darktide. I find the core moment to moment gameplay to be so fun that I can overlook the broader progression system issues and such. Admittedly I've been fortunate to not have any of the major crashes or performance issues that plagued others, which makes the heretic-slaughtering pill much easier to swallow.

Just how precisely Fatshark nailed the feel of the 40k setting can't be overstated. The original Dawn of War RTS game was what got me into 40k, and seeing this boots on the ground perspective of regular* humans is viscerally satisfying. Especially when marveling at the boom of bolter fire and the chunks of heretic left in its wake.
I think the progression system makes the games actively worse, personally. I like to try missions on high skill levels because it's fun and a challenge, not because I must chase the phattest lewtz and watch number go up. I tend to play these games with IRL friends though, which probably helps. OG Vermintide did progression best because it had the least.

edit: Left 4 Dead did it even better, of course

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 6, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does anyone else find something about the game's... responsiveness? Off? I don't know if its networking and I'm rubber banding a little, or if my 3060 laptop is struggling to keep frame rate even on my very low settings, or if I'm just bad and I'm getting mentally overloaded when playing, but I'm having a fundamental problem where I'm getting hit in melee when I don't really expect to be, I'm missing shots I feel like I should hit, and my movement is never as fast or as immediate as I'd like; fundamentally I can't tell if it's the game, or me, or if it's even the same thing every time, but the long and the short of it is I'm not actually having much fun and I'm only still playing because all my friends are. Is this happening to anyone else?

There's definitely some hitreg issues. It's not super noticeable with melee because swings are so wide but there has been several times when I shot a cultist in the shoulder with my Imperial issue flashlight, saw the beam clearly pass through his body, and started to turn away before realize that no hit marker popped up. I'm not sure if it's lag or what but it's annoying.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm a garbo player on a garbo laptop and I haven't noticed those issues. If I miss it's because I rushed the shot, if I get hit it's because I put myself in a position to get hit. If anything I find the opposite problem where my melee attacks are landing outside of what l feel is my actual reach.

Qmass posted:

I think if anything hurts the games longevity it's the relatively tiny selection of maps/environments. I can see people getting burnt out pretty quickly on that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My biggest feel of clunkiness is around weapon swapping. It seems like maybe there is some input priority change that needs to be made? I feel like all too often when I am trying to swap my weapon (via Q), I often end up just continuing to attack with my current weapon and a swap never happens. I feel like most games would prioritize the weapon swap over all other inputs, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Also, I know they were trying to do something special with reloading, but I really don't like that I can't cancel a reload by swapping to melee and back. Maybe it's just something I need to get used to, but I've always been in camp "always be reloading" and I feel like in most games I could cancel that if I needed to. Sounds like a design choice that I'll just need to get used to.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Honestly it feels reasonably responsive and good especially compared to getting butt stabbed from 10 feet away by skavenslaves in VT2

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm glad SOMEONE around here understands how to minmax

Seriously tho, the grenade perk has saved my rear end so many times I can't imagine not using it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

My biggest feel of clunkiness is around weapon swapping. It seems like maybe there is some input priority change that needs to be made? I feel like all too often when I am trying to swap my weapon (via Q), I often end up just continuing to attack with my current weapon and a swap never happens. I feel like most games would prioritize the weapon swap over all other inputs, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Also, I know they were trying to do something special with reloading, but I really don't like that I can't cancel a reload by swapping to melee and back. Maybe it's just something I need to get used to, but I've always been in camp "always be reloading" and I feel like in most games I could cancel that if I needed to. Sounds like a design choice that I'll just need to get used to.

That's lag, I have always been able to swap out of a reload except when the servers are taking a poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not sure it is. I think it has to do with input buffering. I don't notice any other symptoms of network lag when it's happening. Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, that's probably my biggest frustration with "responsiveness" so far.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hey Fatshark give me a different assassination boss already god drat. It's been like 72 hours ugh geeze

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's definitely some hitreg issues. It's not super noticeable with melee because swings are so wide but there has been several times when I shot a cultist in the shoulder with my Imperial issue flashlight, saw the beam clearly pass through his body, and started to turn away before realize that no hit marker popped up. I'm not sure if it's lag or what but it's annoying.

There is 100% some kind of (netcode?) issue where a hit registers on your screen complete with sound and visuals but doesn’t do damage or kill it.

https://i.imgur.com/JztDou8.mp4

I’ve seen reverse cases where an enemy dies and there’s a red X but no sound effect, or where the enemy dies but there’s no X. my guess is some kind of desync related to the game using dedicated servers now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's weird that the train assassination boss is so much worse than the other one and it's not even close. The adds are worse and come from all over the place, the arena is much bigger so its easy to get dragged away from the boss and have him start shooting, it just sucks overall.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I take the level 10 ogryn perk to add bonus loot to the box

The description on Bombs Away is a huge lie. It doesn't only work on carapace armoured enemies, it also works on flak armoured normals, most elites (all except the Rager, dog, and Mutie), and all bosses. On unyielding difficulty it can take off nearly 50% of Beast of Nurgle's HP.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

They did modify the description on it I believe but yeah its worth testing.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Qmass posted:

I'm not sure what region you're in or how that affects matchmaking but the player count is very good on Steam. Who knows about Gamepass. Pretty early to start speculating about player retention.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's weird that the train assassination boss is so much worse than the other one and it's not even close. The adds are worse and come from all over the place, the arena is much bigger so its easy to get dragged away from the boss and have him start shooting, it just sucks overall.

No pit to get knocked into, though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kaddish posted:

I'm not sure what region you're in or how that affects matchmaking but the player count is very good on Steam. Who knows about Gamepass. Pretty early to start speculating about player retention.

I'm noticing less fast matchmaking during what should be EU primetime on Steam. Idk if people have moved to 2 (for easy contract farming) and 4 (for more challenge), but it's def harder to solo queue for malice from what I've personally seen. When I'm in a striketeam with a US player we get games fast on malice though.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm not sure it is. I think it has to do with input buffering. I don't notice any other symptoms of network lag when it's happening. Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, that's probably my biggest frustration with "responsiveness" so far.

I get this too. Firing your weapon seems to be prioritized over weapon swap. So if you're gunning down some dudes as they run to you and you want to switch to melee at the last second, I need to do it earlier to make sure the weapon swap input is read. It's jarring since my VT2 muscle memory tells me I should be able to get another shot in before I swap. Been a tough adjustment.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
V2 used to have a bunch of frame buffer and input tweaking settings to fix that, but I don't think they made it to darktide

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

No pit to get knocked into, though.

True, but instead you get mutants throwing you across the room into a swarm of enemies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CuddleCryptid posted:

The game does seem to give precedent to started games if you are having trouble, I've had several times when I've started a game with only bots and within 20 seconds three more people got dropped in.

Twice now I have started a mission alone with bots, found a demonhost and gone past it, only for all the bots simultaneously to disappear and been replaced with players, and my notification of this fact is that the demonhost is now aggro.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I like that, in true 40k fashion, this game is hilarious and goofy when I get high and play ogryn with my friends, but a horror game when I get high and play guardsman with pubbies

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Psyker probably could use some small buffs or tweaks, nothing major, but some small changes would go a long way to making them "feel" better especially or open up more playstyles than the best staff options.

• +50 Toughness so they start with 150/150
  • +5 seconds to warp charge duration
  • 4% chance to gain a warp charge on kill and no movement penalty when quelling feats added as default part of class, opens up a couple feat slots.
  • A few feats added to enable Gunker playstyle, the 10% brainburst chance on a 15 sec cooldown feat gets "bullet hits reduce the cooldown by 3 seconds" to add a viable SMG rapidfire playstyle
  • Blast radius on voidstrike staff changed to penetration to decide how many bodies your charged bolts can travel through as a way to lightly nerf it, other staves buffed, trauma staff made bigger and better, pulls enemies into the circle instead of scattering them away

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'd like brain burst to scale based on difficulty, at least a little, or a little more if it already does.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kaddish posted:

I'd like brain burst to scale based on difficulty, at least a little, or a little more if it already does.

Brain burst scales... with perils. It isn't enough, even with six warp charges and starting brain burst at 89% (the safe number), to one shot a dog at threat 4.

And no, while testing I did not have the 5-15% force weapon feat running.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

There is 100% some kind of (netcode?) issue where a hit registers on your screen complete with sound and visuals but doesn’t do damage or kill it.

https://i.imgur.com/JztDou8.mp4

I’ve seen reverse cases where an enemy dies and there’s a red X but no sound effect, or where the enemy dies but there’s no X. my guess is some kind of desync related to the game using dedicated servers now.

I hope it's a bug and not just weapons sucking poo poo. I've been getting headshots on guys and they just live. It makes playing low level veteran suck.

marshmallow creep posted:

Twice now I have started a mission alone with bots, found a demonhost and gone past it, only for all the bots simultaneously to disappear and been replaced with players, and my notification of this fact is that the demonhost is now aggro.

My secret for having less than 15 minute runs is to play as my zealot and just run as far as you can into the level before other people join.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

apostateCourier posted:

Brain burst scales... with perils. It isn't enough, even with six warp charges and starting brain burst at 89% (the safe number), to one shot a dog at threat 4.

Just so you know, it's anything under 97% :)

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kaddish posted:

Just so you know, it's anything under 97% :)

Really? Huh. Coulda sworn... Gonna test this for myself but I believe you.

So it is! That didn't change the damage, so brain burst damage is affected by perils at time of burst, which means perils resistance (as per the perk) effectively decreases brain burst damage. At six charges, popping at 100%, you're 29 damage shy of killing a dog. It isn't much but it's enough to get you dog'd.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 6, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

apostateCourier posted:

Yeah, I don't remember what it was before but it was extended either during or after the closed beta. Might have been 89% then.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

It's true, it actually might be 97% exactly. You sit at 100% for a while while charging but you don't actually blow up when it pops off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know Fat Shark has had some hilarious mishaps around development in the past. And it seems like them being able to essentially "flip a switch" to fix performance was odd and we never heard any details of it. But I guess just a reminder, not exactly uncommon. Callisto Protocol apparently just went through a very similar thing. Someone patched the wrong file and caused very serious performance issues during release.
https://kotaku.com/callisto-protocol-steam-ps5-bugs-glen-schofield-twitter-1849859440