Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Flair posted:

Nominations were live "until November 29th at 10am PST (UTC-8)"

kazil posted:

the first round of voting is for the nomination, second for the award
:thanks:

Cowcaster posted:

turn on your monitor
:mediocre:

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

beats for junkies posted:

It sounds like you're talking about Harebrained Schemes' Battletech game, and I still think that was a troll by the devs, because it pretty much never comes up in the game at all. Your character is called "Captain" at almost every single opportunity, and nobody cares what your gender is because there are giant stompy robots to drive and shoot lasers at other giant stompy robots with.

Semi-related: where's my Earthdawn game, HBS?

Yeah as far as I know it never even gets used l lol.

I see they advertised for a dev for a turn based tactical title back in August, I wonder what they are up to next?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

what the gently caress

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

buying the boner game now

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

buying the boner game now

raise them and wreak havoc.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Love Boneraiser Minions. The writing style is cute IMO. Usually I hate badly-used 'thee and thou' English but here it's entertaining.

I've been playing a bit of Spellbook Demonslayer which is a decent VS-like. It just had an art overhaul and it looks cleaner now which is nice.

Anyone played Void Scrappers? I'm quite up for 'vampire survivors but spaceships'. I'll buy any number of these stupid games if they keep charging pennies for them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It sounds like you're talking about Harebrained Schemes' Battletech game, and I still think that was a troll by the devs, because it pretty much never comes up in the game at all. Your character is called "Captain" at almost every single opportunity, and nobody cares what your gender is because there are giant stompy robots to drive and shoot lasers at other giant stompy robots with.

LMAO I never noticed this, that's hilarious

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That's it! I should go back to that at some point, never got past the tutorial when I played it when it came out. Got right to the end of the opening mission, made some bad plays because it was the first time I played the game and didn't really understand it, then one of my units died and the mission failed.
Then it started over because there was no autosave. So I just stopped playing.

EDIT: Really liking the look of the Dead Space remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTY5zsxG6Y

Honestly, the gameplay and map design looks almost identical, but I like some of the changes to dialogue and Isaac not being a silent protagonist anymore, same voice actor as 2 & 3.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 6, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

LLSix posted:

Steam's started doing this thing with a couple of games now.

When I click the play button after installing a game, it silently crashes without ever opening the game. Anyone have suggestions for how to fix this or even just get an error message from the crash?

The latest game it is doing it on is Horizon Zero Dawn which I just bought and installed. I Was a Teenage Exocolonist, which I purchased and installed at the same time has the same problem as well.

I've already Verified integrity of local game files. It didn't identify any issues and it's never helped before on any of the other games I've seen this happen.

I have a 1080 video card in case it is relevant and just downloaded and installed the latest driver from Nvidia in hopes it would help. It did not.

Running Steam from a terminal window will dump a ton of log output. That will usually capture the reason why a game doesn't run. Typically it's because the game is crashing immediately for some reason or other.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I know some games don't like programs that include overlays on them at least, I usually have RivaTuner running but some games in the past have just not launched at all unless I closed it beforehand.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have absolutely no idea if Back4blood is any good since I only played it in beta, but it's on sale and the third dlc is dropping this morning

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/back-4-blood-ultimate-edition

I've been in the mood for more coop shoots, but I'm uncertain if this is worth picking up given how hard b4b was in beta - I actually find that a lot of fun, but it's the kind of thing that's fun with friends, not randoms

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spending an extra hour farming valkyries in Valhalla has its benefits. :hellyeah: I freakin love loot!!!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Antigravitas posted:

Running Steam from a terminal window will dump a ton of log output. That will usually capture the reason why a game doesn't run. Typically it's because the game is crashing immediately for some reason or other.

Iiiinteresting. C:\Steam>steam.exe steam://run/1151640 should run Horizon Zero Dawn - one of the games failing to launch, but doesn't. I get a little blue spinny circle next to my mouse pointer but absolutely 0 console output.

The same technique does run Against the Storm, a game I've not had any problems starting yet. (C:\Steam>steam.exe steam://run/1336490)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

victrix posted:

I have absolutely no idea if Back4blood is any good since I only played it in beta, but it's on sale and the third dlc is dropping this morning

I've been in the mood for more coop shoots, but I'm uncertain if this is worth picking up given how hard b4b was in beta - I actually find that a lot of fun, but it's the kind of thing that's fun with friends, not randoms

It's probably the jankiest L4D game on the market, I'd avoid it.

Even World War Z is better put together.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Played the Bits & Bops demo today, it's looking like it will be a pretty good Rhythm Heaven game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

LLSix posted:

Iiiinteresting. C:\Steam>steam.exe steam://run/1151640 should run Horizon Zero Dawn - one of the games failing to launch, but doesn't. I get a little blue spinny circle next to my mouse pointer but absolutely 0 console output.

The same technique does run Against the Storm, a game I've not had any problems starting yet. (C:\Steam>steam.exe steam://run/1336490)

Oh right, I just remembered that on Windows this doesn't work, because of some bullshit limitations in the windows console host.

So, uh, forget I recommended doing that. :negative:

I dimly remember that there's a log file folder in the Steam installation folder.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God drat man my loving Steam keeps doing this thing where it's not connecting to the server for some reason on login. I posted about it the other week and resetting my network fixed it but it keeps happening randomly, where i'll get a connection error logging in and with a couple attempts will eventually log me in but with my friends list blanked out and "Connection errors" showing on the store popup windows, then when I try to buy anything it says I'm not logged in and fails to log me in. Really frustrating when everything else seems to be working fine it's just localized to Steam only. I just want to buy Dwarf Fortress :cry:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

LLSix posted:

Is there any common thread between the games? Like denuvo or something? Have you checked your antivirus/firewall to see if something is being blocked? I had an issue where Avast was just randomly quarantining my games, I had to stop using it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

explosivo posted:

God drat man my loving Steam keeps doing this thing where it's not connecting to the server for some reason on login. I posted about it the other week and resetting my network fixed it but it keeps happening randomly, where i'll get a connection error logging in and with a couple attempts will eventually log me in but with my friends list blanked out and "Connection errors" showing on the store popup windows, then when I try to buy anything it says I'm not logged in and fails to log me in. Really frustrating when everything else seems to be working fine it's just localized to Steam only. I just want to buy Dwarf Fortress :cry:

Same here, I think Steam is just having issues.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Vampire Survivors DLC: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2230760/Vampire_Survivors_Legacy_of_the_Moonspell

Is it going to be like $1?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's dorfing time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Crimson.
Skies.
:argh:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

It's probably the jankiest L4D game on the market, I'd avoid it.

Even World War Z is better put together.

I’ve played it for quite a while and I’m not sure what part is supposed to be janky. It’s at the very least fine.

victrix posted:

If you played the beta then you should know that they changed the character deck building to basically just character builds now. You used to pick 1 card per level but now you just get all 15 at the start of an act. In general that’s made things easier overall than the beta, plus other changes they made to levels, cards, enemies, weapons. Things can still go south fast if something goes wrong and people react poorly but there’s way more of a buffer now. You definitely should play with friends whenever possible though because so with character builds so much more can go wrong with random matches.

Overall it’s in a pretty good spot right now but there is one negative modifier card that can really drag down levels called Ravenous. Basically there’s new food items that normally give small bonuses for a level but if you get Ravenous you need to eat one of these food items every 30 seconds or you start taking unavoidable damage. It turns any level you get it on into a terrible unfun speed run.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Given how much they've updated the game I guess you can't really complain about DLC that's single-digit-priced... But after putting a few dozen hours into it / competitors, the luster of the genre has worn off for me. I had also been making my own VS-like as a means to just learn game dev too so maybe I've just been extra burnt out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played though VS and half of another VS-like and I'm completely done with the whole genre now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deakul posted:

Same here, I think Steam is just having issues.

Weird, yeah seems to be working now without a router reboot.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I took a break from VS a few updates ago, so I'm stoked for more stuff to unlock.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I just got a notification that Dwarf Fortress is now available on Steam, with actual graphics, for the princely sum of $29.99
https://store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/

So, is this playable on a laptop with a touchpad?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hope it’s $70

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kibayasu posted:

I’ve played it for quite a while and I’m not sure what part is supposed to be janky. It’s at the very least fine.

Mostly just thought that the gunplay blew chunks and that the card system was tacked on nonsense that only served to try something new(and fail) with the horde mode formula.

I haven't tried it in about a year though.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

I just got a notification that Dwarf Fortress is now available on Steam, with actual graphics, for the princely sum of $29.99

It's playable with largely mouse controls, I've done just fine playing it on the deck for reference

edit: oh i think I might have misread? If you want to largely avoid using the mousepad there's a bunch of keybinds too

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kynseed came out of EA and I had this on my wishlist for some reason. I imagine that pixel-based life sim RPGs were a bit more rare back when I wishlisted it? Anyone have any experience with it?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is any of the AC: Valhalla DLC worth it? I hated all of Odyssey's DCL, especially the baby-forcing one.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

GrandpaPants posted:

Kynseed came out of EA and I had this on my wishlist for some reason. I imagine that pixel-based life sim RPGs were a bit more rare back when I wishlisted it? Anyone have any experience with it?

It's got pretty good reviews I guess.

I apparently own it but haven't gotten around to playing it yet :effort:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Q_res posted:

It’s real good and everyone should get it

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Vampire Survivors DLC:

I wonder if the bolding on the music tracks has anything to do with the secrets?

♫ Legacy of the Moonspell
Festive Breeze
Rumble Kachara
Haze of Night
♫ Hell Night
Crystal Allure

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Q_res posted:

Well goodbye thread, I'm off to the mines forever :cheers:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
over 1700 reviews with an overwhelmingly positive rating. safe to say Bay 12 has built up some good will over the years.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

uber_stoat posted:

over 1700 reviews with an overwhelmingly positive rating. safe to say Bay 12 has built up some good will over the years.

22k playing simultaneously and still climbing, drat. Incredibly happy for them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The latest Fortnite update marked the transition to Unreal Engine 5.1 and it's nuts how good the game looks. The Lumen raytracing tech looks great and is wayyyyy easier on my hardware (3070) than any other RT stuff I've tried. The new physics tech that they're using for destruction looks awesome too (although it's purely cosmetic, stuff still breaks apart one "tile" at a time, it just looks really good doing so). And apparently while it didn't get all the bells and whistles, the game looks a lot better on Switch and has better performance than the UE4 version. Really makes me excited for the next few years of PC games!

edit: some slick screenshots from the digitalfoundry guy:

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1599803821776961540?s=20&t=R6VHqEfVw6F7VyFLqsisAA

goferchan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 6, 2022