Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone find a way to get the game to pause/zoom when stuff like migrations show up? I legit keep missing them until I notice the number shot up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

nielsm posted:

Was the wildlife always this intent on killing you?

The eagles, ravens and keas keep pestering my outdoor working dwarves, and a yak claimed 7 of my 16 dwarves.

Just listening to the last episode of DF roundtable, where they have Zach and Tarn on, and apparently they have added/replaced some new 'agitation' mechanic for wildlife, both on the surface and underground. I've no exact idea what this entails, but it can involve pissing off the local animals by doing... things, like treecutting.

e: Keas at least, historically, will steal everything you own given the chance

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gamerofthegame posted:

the bigger thing is that combat is extremely lethal (except when it isn't (still is then tho)) and while you can, in theory, train up to be little dodgy gremlins, the mainway to go is to load up your soldiers with armor. which you won't have for a hot minute. so every threat needs to be considered deadly serious

it also helps to build a death corridor with a shitload of traps, fortifications for your archers to fire through, a room you can close off and dump lava into, etc.

Think dwarfishly and construct to your advantage so you rip the enemy up beforehand and your soldiers are either last resort or just there to finish off the remnants

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
unless they've changed it this patch, armor is far less important than a shield, which can basically full-on negate attacks from happening with sufficient skill levels while armor which merely mitigates damage taken

dodging and parrying (i forget if the latter is a function of overall combat skill or weapon-specific) can also do this but not as often as shields, and dodging comes with the risk of dodging into something bad, and also these don't apply to as many cases -- i don't believe you can dodge dragonfire, for instance, while you can absolutely shield it

(and then probably die anyways because now your environment is superheated and on fire, but at least you survived the breath attack itself!)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 6, 2022

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

How does the gang tag work? we post a neat story and request one?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does the world size really 'matter' in this game? Like in Rimworld for example you can generate worlds that are 30%, 50%, or 100% size and (without mods) there's virtually no reason to go above 30% because you'll never travel more than 30% of the world away.

Other than giving me more potential starting sites, does a larger world do anything in DF?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Anybody have a guess on why my mechanic's workshop doesn't get built? In old DF I would assume that I lack a mechanic. But, now I don't know what category that job even is in.

Further thoughts:
Keybindings are confusing on a non-english keyborad.
Those automatic work orders with the auto recommended restart mode are amazing.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Danaru posted:

Anyone find a way to get the game to pause/zoom when stuff like migrations show up? I legit keep missing them until I notice the number shot up

There is an announcement.txt file in \steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\init where you can change how notifications are handled.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GruntyThrst posted:

How does the gang tag work? we post a neat story and request one?

That was my plan but instead of a neat story I just went with “a few words and some screenshots,” wish me luck

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I wanted to get this today but it may have to wait, I'm super stoked this has been released :) Need to get in on this whole gang tag business too

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does the world size really 'matter' in this game? Like in Rimworld for example you can generate worlds that are 30%, 50%, or 100% size and (without mods) there's virtually no reason to go above 30% because you'll never travel more than 30% of the world away.

Other than giving me more potential starting sites, does a larger world do anything in DF?

It creates more/less Forgotten Beasts, with 12 on the low end and 867 on the high end

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_generation

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Also I've forgotten the names of all these jobs. What's a stonecutter do?
Stonecarver - furniture I think
Engraver - smooths and engraves
Stone crafter - stone crafts
stonecutter - ????

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Bad Munki posted:

First fort in a lot of years. A LOT of years.

Looks like the wagon broke down here in this hole, so I guess this is where they live now.

Fortunately, a stone's throw away was a usable cliff face. The dwarves immediately set to the work of digging in, ignoring all other needs. Someone would be assigned to make trinkets soon, as well as a depot, with the plan to simply buy a year's worth of drinks and cheese when the first caravan arrives.
Supposedly this no longer works? Earlier caravans are much smaller.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
profession names don't map 1:1 to skills and some of them are generic labels for dwarves with multiple skills within a category

e: also i think there's a skill whose sole entire function is "carving memorial headstones" so that might be what "stone cutting" is if you're already looking at a skill list

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 6, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think the last time I played this game was in 2010. I'm excited to get an army of dwarf wrestlers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aero737 posted:

There is an announcement.txt file in \steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\init where you can change how notifications are handled.

:toot: thanks!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I skipped the tutorial so apologies if this is covered there but is there a button or key I can hold down when building walls/ceilings to assign all of one resource to it like in the ASCII version? None of the obvious ones seem to work and I don't want to click 100 times to set up a ceiling.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Diogines posted:

Supposedly this no longer works? Earlier caravans are much smaller.
I dunno, seemed to work okay, I’ve gone through my second caravan now. I did have them pick a few plants and make some booze, but it’s minimal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there an option to change the number of Z-levels generated? And what will happen if it’s set to the minimum?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Maduo posted:

I skipped the tutorial so apologies if this is covered there but is there a button or key I can hold down when building walls/ceilings to assign all of one resource to it like in the ASCII version? None of the obvious ones seem to work and I don't want to click 100 times to set up a ceiling.

I've been forced to go to work instead of going full dwarf all day, but wasn't it shift-return on the old setup? Maybe try shift-click?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Is there a missing flag for planting outdoor plants? Perfectly understandable if they're turned off by default, but I've got all these seeeeds

Also it seems like agriculture is working, but there isn't any visual representation for fallow/planted/ripe

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Wolfechu posted:

I've been forced to go to work instead of going full dwarf all day, but wasn't it shift-return on the old setup? Maybe try shift-click?

That was my first thought too but it doesn't seem to work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Light aquifer report: They really are light. If you just prepare a bunch of material for building walls, ahead of time, you can easily dig a stairwell through, dig out the tiles around the stairwell, then construct walls around it and you're through. You'd have to be really slow to not make it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VictualSquid posted:

Is this still a sure sign of secret vampirism?

lmao, didn't realize that was a thing

too bad I'm on phone, there are plenty of oglafs for that. Some are even worksafe

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Anyone else experiencing clipping with the audio? Know a fix?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

How the hell much stockpile space do I need in this game :psyduck:

I'm currently a week(ish) into my first fortress and I have done nothing except scale up stockpile space the entire time. 686 tiles of stockpile total - one big one for wood and stone, then a smaller one for food and two smaller ones for everything else. But they're all absolutely full and need to be expanded. My dwarves haven't been able to do anything except set up stockpile rooms and haul things so far!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

My world has a kama sutra

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

deep dish peat moss posted:

How the hell much stockpile space do I need in this game :psyduck:

I'm currently a week(ish) into my first fortress and I have done nothing except scale up stockpile space the entire time. 686 tiles of stockpile total - one big one for wood and stone, then a smaller one for food and two smaller ones for everything else. But they're all absolutely full and need to be expanded. My dwarves haven't been able to do anything except set up stockpile rooms and haul things so far!

Makes bins and barrels and such.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
An immigrant showed up with Legendary Musician, but a profession of Miller :smith: poor guy

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Was hesitant to buy since I always had a hard time figuring out some of the finer points of DF, but man this really is a much easier and better way to play. I might even figure out how armies work now!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

stonecutter - ????

Holding back the electric car.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Danaru posted:

An immigrant showed up with Legendary Musician, but a profession of Miller :smith: poor guy

please call him Steve

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tunicate posted:

Keeping the electric car down.

Lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunicate posted:

Keeping the electric car down.
Job: enucleate cave fish
Duration indefinite

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

STRIKE THE EARTH

That's a cool design.

Figuring out how to lay out a fort in a non-boring way always ended up stopping me ahead of time. Central open shaft usually wins for coolness (and potential to route waterfalls through the center). Gradually widening tiers are also fun. Gonna be pondering a layout now until I can actually play it...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Build a fort that looks like a plump helmet

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there still a rooms list lurking somewhere I can't find? Or is there any other way to view a room's quality other than the nobles panel?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm not sure what happened, but my dwarves kept running around outside the fortress picking fights with monsters until one of them killed him, he came back as a zombie and killed everyone else. Hm.

What the gently caress

also: i have not amazing vision, is there a stronger way to zoom

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 6, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Aeble posted:

That's a cool design.

Figuring out how to lay out a fort in a non-boring way always ended up stopping me ahead of time. Central open shaft usually wins for coolness (and potential to route waterfalls through the center). Gradually widening tiers are also fun. Gonna be pondering a layout now until I can actually play it...

Back in the day I had a "standardized" fort floor plan I'd based on rotating all the fractal floor plans on the wiki around a central 3x3 double helix spiral ramp. I'd pour a waterfall down the center and have it feed into the aquifer at the bottom.

I'll probably do it again after I spend the first few realtime weeks looking for the right site for it again. Gonna have to redesign everything to incorporate minecarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Dwarf Fortress: I somehow flooded my fort in the tutorial

:hai: