Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Trickortreat posted:

Not going to disagree with you there, I don't know much about game development. What I'm pointing out is the fact that they promised regular updates. They promised to keep players up to date with a road map for the features. Didn't they end up abandon the road map altogether and stopped communicating with the players?

I definitely got my value out of Valheim (500+ hours played), but I have no desire to support a company that thinks they don't have an obligation keep players updated on their early access game. Early access demands a level of transparency. Imagine trying to do a kickstarter with no updates at all. Obviously there are some players who won't care, but judging from the numbers on steam, I'd say the majority of people have lost interest in this game altogether due to lack of communication from the devs.

They have been posting regular updates. They're right on the steam page. Sorry but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You keep pivoting to different, completely wrong arguments, it's incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

It remains true every single time this conversation happens that it's okay to be disappointed in the slow release schedule but it's not okay to feel angry or entitled about it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They could've made infinity money and it doesn't mean that you should expect the game to update at a different speed than it did before, and that speed before is pretty much unknown to us since it wasn't available.

Trickortreat posted:

I definitely got my value out of Valheim (500+ hours played), but I have no desire to support a company that thinks they don't have an obligation keep players updated on their early access game.

Dude the game costs like as much as one lunch at a restaurant and they aren't asking for anything more on top of that. I loved the game and look forward to more and I "support" them exactly as much as you. I bought the game and played it until I beat it.

quote:

I'd say the majority of people have lost interest in this game altogether due to lack of communication from the devs.

That or... they beat what was there. And once it's finished and released, there will also be a dropoff at somepoint. You beat the game and move on, I don't think it's trying to be some eternal game. Once all the bosses are out, you presumably will defeat them, summon the big final boss, and maybe there's a secret boss but part of the appeal of this game is that your efforts build up to something with a payoff and eventual end in sight, whether its the final release version bosses or just whichever are in there now, one of them is the final one in that version.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

johnny park posted:

It remains true every single time this conversation happens that it's okay to be disappointed in the slow release schedule but it's not okay to feel angry or entitled about it

This is what it boils down to and just my own 2c, a lot of the people reacting to the posted sentiment of disappointment are overreacting as if people are saying the game sucks or players have been ripped off, etc. I don't think anyone feels that way.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Honestly a 4 person team expanding to 50 can do way more harm long term than a team falling behind a little bit on their release schedule

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

to be fair one side of the disagreement was posting steam player charts to imply the game was dead, and using phrases like "letting their golden goose fly away" lol

less "overreacting" and more "matching intensity"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gadzuko posted:

Valheim Plus has already updated for Mistlands: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

awesome. i'm kind of surprised by the content being live/official , it seemed to need more work

am i missing something, or can you not max out the upgrades on the new equipment? only one upgrade table per new crafting station, but multiple tiers of upgrades

what's the goto food breakdown for everyone? meat platter seems to be the way to go, but salad i haven't gotten rolling since it requires such disparate ingredients and i haven't found a way to safely farm yet.

speaking of safety, i mined open a giant's head and got a shitload of aggro, but was able to go back, break through the soft tissue, and then have a good time inside the skull while a gjall hunted for me overhead and couldn't find me.

finally, i'm feeling like using a staff might be better than carapace arrows + draugr fang, running normal armor. no stamina usage is humongous, even though it means eating for eitr

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

mastershakeman posted:

awesome. i'm kind of surprised by the content being live/official , it seemed to need more work

am i missing something, or can you not max out the upgrades on the new equipment? only one upgrade table per new crafting station, but multiple tiers of upgrades

what's the goto food breakdown for everyone? meat platter seems to be the way to go, but salad i haven't gotten rolling since it requires such disparate ingredients and i haven't found a way to safely farm yet.

speaking of safety, i mined open a giant's head and got a shitload of aggro, but was able to go back, break through the soft tissue, and then have a good time inside the skull while a gjall hunted for me overhead and couldn't find me.

finally, i'm feeling like using a staff might be better than carapace arrows + draugr fang, running normal armor. no stamina usage is humongous, even though it means eating for eitr

Seems to be intentional

https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1600134531260243968

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Thank the gods they fixed the performance issues with large builds.

It is night and day, our main capital was practically unplayable with how much building and terraforming we did. It is butter smooth now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AccountSupervisor posted:

It is night and day, our main capital was practically unplayable with how much building and terraforming we did. It is butter smooth now.

Oooh, looking forward to this; our main, modestly built compound was getting down to around 20-25 fps on my Steam deck. I hope it runs even better now. :toot:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Now that sounds interesting.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

My friend unlocked new recipes when he picked up serpent meat and a tuna; however, when I picked up the same items, I didn't get any new recipes. I did get a new recipe from a trollfish, but that was it. Any one have any idea what is going on there?

Edit: To clarify, I don't have the new recipes when I go to the cooking station, so it's not like I just didn't see the message.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 6, 2022

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I just finished walling in an island that is slightly larger than the map can display when zoomed in all the way, so this is very exciting

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Sand Monster posted:

My friend unlocked new recipes when he picked up serpent meat and a tuna; however, when I picked up the same items, I didn't get any new recipes. I did get a new recipe from a trollfish, but that was it. Any one have any idea what is going on there?

Edit: To clarify, I don't have the new recipes when I go to the cooking station, so it's not like I just didn't see the message.

The recipe with the tuna also requires having touched an Ulv trophy. There is no new recipe with the serpent meat, but there is one with the serpent trophy.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Gadzuko posted:

Valheim Plus has already updated for Mistlands: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

I installed this, loaded in, and my entire house blew up :stare:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

acumen posted:

I installed this, loaded in, and my entire house blew up :stare:

Jesus Christ. I hope you had insurance and you and your loved ones are ok. :stare:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My insurance was a backup save file, which I then loaded. And then my house blew up again.

I'm assuming it was one of the settings in V+ but I have no clue which one.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I started a game like 6 months ago and only really made it to the swamp biome where I got a bunch of iron then kinda fell out of it—I didn’t really discover any other biomes beyond swamp, Black Forest, and meadow. Is it worth going back to that game to try the new content? Will any mistlands I find be populated with new content even though I didn’t start a new game?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

acumen posted:

My insurance was a backup save file, which I then loaded. And then my house blew up again.

I'm assuming it was one of the settings in V+ but I have no clue which one.

Were you using the mod before when you built the house? There's a part where you can turn off stability and build stuff in midair all you want, if you built with that turned on but now it's off that could do it.

Sheen Sheen posted:

I started a game like 6 months ago and only really made it to the swamp biome where I got a bunch of iron then kinda fell out of it—I didn’t really discover any other biomes beyond swamp, Black Forest, and meadow. Is it worth going back to that game to try the new content? Will any mistlands I find be populated with new content even though I didn’t start a new game?

Yes, the new mistlands generated when you explore your old map will have the new stuff

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Gadzuko posted:

Were you using the mod before when you built the house? There's a part where you can turn off stability and build stuff in midair all you want, if you built with that turned on but now it's off that could do it.

Nope this was a fresh Mistlands only save. I was suspecting something similar was the part that hosed things up though yeah. I didn't have that option turned on, but I did have no erosion damage and an aoe repair activated.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

pik_d posted:

The recipe with the tuna also requires having touched an Ulv trophy. There is no new recipe with the serpent meat, but there is one with the serpent trophy.

Thanks, that explains it.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

pik_d posted:

This really feels like you don't understand game development. They have reinvested money and have grown the studio, it's just not on the timeline that you seem to think is possible.

Actually it [to what you are replying] sounds like management. More $ and more people = faster software development. Works every time in any development shop I've ever been a member. There are no other factors.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I like fishing more now, except for the different baits. I hate them. I think it would be better if all fish bit all bait, but higher end bait kept fish on the line longer/reduced stamina required. So you can trick out your bait if you want an easier time, but overall no fish are off-limits.

Also, in order to even learn the bait recipes, don't you need to touch the fish that would be caught by that bait? That means that at least initially, you'll have to find one washed up.

Cool... That's not how that should work; the requirements for an upgraded tier of something ideally should involve using the previous tier, not lucking into accessing the requirements in some other, way less reliable way.

I'm angry; angry about fishies!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I like fishing more now, except for the different baits. I hate them. I think it would be better if all fish bit all bait, but higher end bait kept fish on the line longer/reduced stamina required. So you can trick out your bait if you want an easier time, but overall no fish are off-limits.

Also, in order to even learn the bait recipes, don't you need to touch the fish that would be caught by that bait? That means that at least initially, you'll have to find one washed up.

Cool... That's not how that should work; the requirements for an upgraded tier of something ideally should involve using the previous tier, not lucking into accessing the requirements in some other, way less reliable way.

I'm angry; angry about fishies!

That's not how it works, regular bait catches pike, perch, and tuna like before. Each of those combined with some trophy gives a new bait that gets you the next fish. That next fish combines with a different trophy to get yet another fish and so on.

Also to note, the name of the fish doesn't decide the yield of raw fish anymore, the physical size does, so a small tuna will give 1 raw fish but a larger one will give more. I'm not sure what the upper limit is but it's way more than 4, but those fish are harder to catch.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 7, 2022

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of Valheim Plus? It seems everyone goes nuts over it, a lot of servers make it mandatory, to me it seems like basically a CheatEngine table with some light QoL and server features sprinkled in. Which is totally fine but I don't see the mass hype it gets. What am I missing here? Not making GBS threads on the mod, I'm really asking. I guess it's super granular and it lets you tweak the experience however you want, disable mechanics or just let you not play the game if you want. Is it made for people who just want to build stuff and breeze through the rest?

Some things look nice though, but more focused mods do content and QoL better. The server stuff that makes admins able to set their own rules for their server is cool I guess, and the base automation can be nice for some things if you don't take it to the extreme. Not having to babysit your smelters for hours after a mining trip is reasonable (I use a specific mod for this), having your viking village look like Factorio's endgame automation hell is insane. I can hit E and gather my own honey, goddammit.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Washin Tong posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of Valheim Plus? It seems everyone goes nuts over it, a lot of servers make it mandatory, to me it seems like basically a CheatEngine table with some light QoL and server features sprinkled in. Which is totally fine but I don't see the mass hype it gets. What am I missing here? Not making GBS threads on the mod, I'm really asking. I guess it's super granular and it lets you tweak the experience however you want, disable mechanics or just let you not play the game if you want. Is it made for people who just want to build stuff and breeze through the rest?

Some things look nice though, but more focused mods do content and QoL better. The server stuff that makes admins able to set their own rules for their server is cool I guess, and the base automation can be nice for some things if yoju don't take it to the extreme. Not having to babysit your smelters for hours after a mining trip is reasonable (I use a specific mod for this), having your viking village look like Factorio's endgame automation hell is insane. I can hit E and gather my own honey, goddammit.

Automated coal and ingot production. Crafting/upgrading stuff from chests. Building from chests. Showing experience gains. Increasing size of chests (ive played long enough and dont want 3 chests just for stone). Shows location of your boats and carts on the map. Show timers on harvestable items. Automating fermenter.

I dont mess with the outright cheats like experience gains, weapon damage, item weights, or portal restrictions. That last one might change though. I just want iron for building fancy buildings at this point.

Edit

I saves me a lot of time on the menial tasks and allows me to explore and build more. Id rather sail the seas than shovel coal or micromanage my inventory to craft.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 7, 2022

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Game needs to create systems or items that automate the tedium. Let that be a part of exploration, combat, and loot!

Instead I get a chest full of feathers and gold. Yay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

That's not how it works, regular bait catches pike, perch, and tuna like before. Each of those combined with some trophy gives a new bait that gets you the next fish. That next fish combines with a different trophy to get yet another fish and so on.

Also to note, the name of the fish doesn't decide the yield of raw fish anymore, the physical size does, so a small tuna will give 1 raw fish but a larger one will give more. I'm not sure what the upper limit is but it's way more than 4, but those fish are harder to catch.

Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying! Welp, I'm now much less angry.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Washin Tong posted:

Some things look nice though, but more focused mods do content and QoL better.

This. Why install a dozen or so focused Mods when one can install on and be done.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Washin Tong posted:

Some things look nice though, but more focused mods do content and QoL better. The server stuff that makes admins able to set their own rules for their server is cool I guess, and the base automation can be nice for some things if you don't take it to the extreme. Not having to babysit your smelters for hours after a mining trip is reasonable (I use a specific mod for this), having your viking village look like Factorio's endgame automation hell is insane. I can hit E and gather my own honey, goddammit.

Having not used it myself, I think people like Valheim Plus mostly for multiplayer modding. Makes it easy to play with friends when you only have one mod to install instead of a whole list, and can easily change and tweak things based on how the group wants to play. I don't play multiplayer so I'm not too familiar with it but otherwise I think you'd need to have a list of approved mods, and make sure everyone installs the same ones and keep them updated, which sounds like it could be difficult for a large server or for people who aren't familiar with modding. I agree with you though, I generally prefer to keep a list of more focused mods than huge comprehensive ones, but that's because I only play single player. Valheim Plus looks like it has some good stuff for singleplayer too though, I'm considering using it to fill in the gaps for some mods I need which haven't been updated yet for mistlands.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Washin Tong posted:

It's a one stop shop for a lot of QoL stuff.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm extremely happy with the game the way it is. I feel like I would get tired of the exploration and combat if it didn't get broken up by maintenance and construction. The only mod I want is something that snaps crops at the exact distance they need to be to stay healthy. I hate eyeballing it so much.

It's not so bad for stuff like onions and radishes where you can clearly see the item's radius but for wheat it's hell.

Edit: does anyone know if farmgrid still works? It doesn't look like it's been updated since 2021.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 7, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm extremely happy with the game the way it is. I feel like I would get tired of the exploration and combat if it didn't get broken up by maintenance and construction. The only mod I want is something that snaps crops at the exact distance they need to be to stay healthy. I hate eyeballing it so much.

It's not so bad for stuff like onions and radishes where you can clearly see the item's radius but for wheat it's hell.

Edit: does anyone know if farmgrid still works? It doesn't look like it's been updated since 2021.

I use farmgrid and have used it in the past few days on the new patch, it works.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wonderful. That covers basically my only gripe with the game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
ok so it was a giant loving mistake to make the new carapace armor, and i should have made the mage armor instead

reasoning? mage abilities let you actually fight gjall straight up. with just one eitr food (stuffed shroom) and standard armor, you can use all your stamina jumping around on the bullshit terrain and then unload with one of the staves , then switch to polearm for a circle sweep to clear ticks as needed

in other news, black marble is a game changer. it spans way better than stone

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 7, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I lucked into literally hundreds of soft tissue because a few of the skull spawned right on top of each other right at the border of the mistlands. I've made all my priority items and I still have about 180 of the little green balls left.

I can't find Cores to save my life though. I think whatever decides to spawn things randomizes between forts skulls and dungeons and I got a lot of the first two and hardly any of the last one.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Washin Tong posted:

I don't get any gameplay satisfaction out of refilling my torches or having to find room for 30 containers to hold all my poo poo. The one-stop QoL settings makes the game customizable to your group's (or personal) needs and interests in the game!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Trickortreat posted:

Not going to disagree with you there, I don't know much about game development. What I'm pointing out is the fact that they promised regular updates. They promised to keep players up to date with a road map for the features. Didn't they end up abandon the road map altogether and stopped communicating with the players?

I definitely got my value out of Valheim (500+ hours played), but I have no desire to support a company that thinks they don't have an obligation keep players updated on their early access game. Early access demands a level of transparency. Imagine trying to do a kickstarter with no updates at all. Obviously there are some players who won't care, but judging from the numbers on steam, I'd say the majority of people have lost interest in this game altogether due to lack of communication from the devs.

You got your value out of Valheim already, and now you're mad that you aren't getting even more value? Valheim was just about the best you can demand from an early access game without being an actual full release, and I bet that almost everyone who played it got more than their $20 worth. If the devs had taken all their well-earned money and hosed off forever leaving it unfinished, it still would have been worth $20 and I'd still recommend it to people looking for fun crafting/survival games. Why are you so mad at the devs? it's goofy af

i saw some similar attitudes in response to an article written earlier this year about Dwarf Fortress releasing on Steam, with commenters pissing and moaning that devs weren't being exact about the release date and how could they whine and beg for money and stuff when the game wasn't updated yet and it was just bizarre - it's been out and complete for like 15 years now and you can play it completely free; these weirdos are all caremad that a couple of nerds programming in their basement aren't catering to their every whim? chill the gently caress out

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

idiotsavant posted:

You got your value out of Valheim already, and now you're mad that you aren't getting even more value? Valheim was just about the best you can demand from an early access game without being an actual full release, and I bet that almost everyone who played it got more than their $20 worth. If the devs had taken all their well-earned money and hosed off forever leaving it unfinished, it still would have been worth $20 and I'd still recommend it to people looking for fun crafting/survival games. Why are you so mad at the devs? it's goofy af

i saw some similar attitudes in response to an article written earlier this year about Dwarf Fortress releasing on Steam, with commenters pissing and moaning that devs weren't being exact about the release date and how could they whine and beg for money and stuff when the game wasn't updated yet and it was just bizarre - it's been out and complete for like 15 years now and you can play it completely free; these weirdos are all caremad that a couple of nerds programming in their basement aren't catering to their every whim? chill the gently caress out

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel; even before the update (and even since, I've barely touched the new content), I racked up almost 100 hours in a month in Valheim. They could drop it tomorrow and I'd be cool with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I can imagine being upset if you were, perhaps, an investor or a shareholder or something like that and they clearly aren't capitalizing on their success to maximize as much short-term profit they can out of their product as they can, but if you aren't any of those things you come off as a bit of a weirdo shouting at the rain.

They're making something they want to, at the speed they want to do it at, and while making money to live on is important -just because- they made more than they expected to doesn't mean they are failing themselves, or you personally, for not turning the machine to 11 until the gears glow.