Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
So that's how they get those snakes in my Hawaiian punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

For us, this is a video of a harrowing experience everyone involved is lucky to have lived through.

For her, it wasn't even Tuesday, it was just 'Not this poo poo again... Gimme the snake jar.'

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

All in all, Prometheus was a pretty realistic movie

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

GABA ghoul posted:

All in all, Prometheus was a pretty realistic movie

The whole time during that movie, I was like this is so stupid nobody would ever go to an alien planet and do all this dumb stuff. Taking their helmet off all willy nilly, touching random alien poo poo, etc.

Then 2020 happened and I was like oh wait, yeah that was pretty realistic lol people are idiots

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

holtemon posted:

The whole time during that movie, I was like this is so stupid nobody would ever go to an alien planet and do all this dumb stuff. Taking their helmet off all willy nilly, touching random alien poo poo, etc.

Then 2020 happened and I was like oh wait, yeah that was pretty realistic lol people are idiots

I'm pretty sure there have been examples in this very thread of things falling towards people and those people running along the axis of the fall instead of to the side, too.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm curious how she even got to the position of holding a cobra's tail.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

This ain't her first snake rodeo.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

These are the same people that say that a boot lace and a Garand is a machinegun, and will try to argue in court that you're a dangerous criminal for having two of those things together.

Please cite the case where the ATF argued constructive possession against someone who had a shoelace and a garand.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

holtemon posted:

also dumb people doing dumb poo poo is a horror staple

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

These are the same people that say that a boot lace and a Garand is a machinegun, and will try to argue in court that you're a dangerous criminal for having two of those things together.

This never happened. Someone sent a photograph of a Garand with a string used to tie the bolt handle and trigger together so the rifle would fire the entire magazine in one burst when the trigger was pulled. The ATF's response letter said this was creating an illegal machine gun through modification by adding parts but no conviction was made because it was only a letter asking for a theoretical ruling if they were to catch you doing that. You can also own things like short barrels and rifle stocks as separate parts and the ATF won't try to arrest you unless you put them together into an unregistered illegal configuration.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

This never happened. Someone sent a photograph of a Garand with a string used to tie the bolt handle and trigger together so the rifle would fire the entire magazine in one burst when the trigger was pulled. The ATF's response letter said this was creating an illegal machine gun through modification by adding parts but no conviction was made because it was only a letter asking for a theoretical ruling if they were to catch you doing that.

The ATF later overruled itself and changed its mind and said "the string itself is not a machinegun, whether or not there are loops tied on the ends."

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/2007-06-25%20String%20Trick%20-%20ATF%20FTB%20Overrules%20Itself.pdf

quote:

You can also own things like short barrels and rifle stocks as separate parts and the ATF won't try to arrest you unless you put them together into an unregistered illegal configuration.

The ATF might not, but states have different opinions. California's SRB laws specifically include constructive possession as a crime. Florida arrested a guy who was selling a pistol which was legal to own and a vertical foregrip which was legal to own and a stock which was legal to own, but eventually dropped the charges and gave him his stuff back.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Phanatic posted:

The ATF later overruled itself and changed its mind and said "the string itself is not a machinegun, whether or not there are loops tied on the ends."

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/2007-06-25%20String%20Trick%20-%20ATF%20FTB%20Overrules%20Itself.pdf

Calling the string the machine gun isn't weird because the way the law works a specific part is always going to be considered the machine gun.

This is a machine gun.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

holtemon posted:

My biggest issue with that part was the guy literally flew to an alien planet then got lost and panicked but as soon as a Nope Cobra came along he wanted to cuddle it. Dumbest writing

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Calling the string the machine gun isn't weird because the way the law works a specific part is always going to be considered the machine gun.

This is a machine gun.

That's a legal machine gun. This is an illegal one (unless you're an SOT and can legally bend a coat hanger into this specific shape):

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Laws be weird

I mean why not make all the parts of a machine gun controlled instead of this weird song and dance?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

champagne posting posted:

Laws be weird

I mean why not make all the parts of a machine gun controlled instead of this weird song and dance?

In my limited understanding an automatic pistol or rifle is one springy bit away from hold the trigger and spray.

Which is actually pretty ineffective. I think most combat weapons have a selector between single and three shot bursts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Laws be weird

Many parts of an illegal fully-automatic firearm are identical to the corresponding parts in the lookalike semi-automatic model that is perfectly legal to own.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Laws be weird

American laws be weird, you mean. Please don't tarnish the rest of mankind with that bullshit.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nenonen posted:

American laws be weird, you mean. Please don't tarnish the rest of mankind with that bullshit.

A stan for the law? I never.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

SamBishop posted:

Isn't it generally accepted that you shouldn't touch the wheel when you're going through a crash because it could snap a wrist or something if the wheels hit wrong? I honestly can't remember where or why I think that's a thing, but their placid faces during the whole thing are absolutely hilarious to me.
A few months back my partner was in a relatively low speed crash on a tight corner. She had stopped. The other vehicle drove into the front wheels of our car.

As her hands were on the steering wheel she was flung against it and her thumb hyper extended causing all sorts of drama: bone fragments, dislocation, ligament damage, whatever. It’s been 6 weeks and the physiotherapist has just started to introduce a small amount of motion to the extent of letting her close her fist up to 3 times a day.

In short: take your hands off the wheel.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

holtemon posted:

Yeah, there used to be a point where I'd see people acting like the dumbest motherfuckers in media and it would break immersion. "Rules don't apply to me" "Nah I'll be fine" etc. etc.

Nowadays I'd feel upset if there wasn't at least one person acting like a dumbass and walking towards the fire or something.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

How many times has she done this?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

In my limited understanding an automatic pistol or rifle is one springy bit away from hold the trigger and spray.

Which is actually pretty ineffective. I think most combat weapons have a selector between single and three shot bursts.

I understand how the single works, mostly understand how fully automatic works, but have never understood mechanically how they get it to do just 3.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ilmucche posted:

I understand how the single works, mostly understand how fully automatic works, but have never understood mechanically how they get it to do just 3.

You add a rotaty indexy boy into the trigger group that takes 3 whackums to cycle. Sometimes you make it so when you release the trigger the rotate boy resets, sometimes you don't so your burst then has memory, so if you squeeze off one, and then hold you'll get 2 rounds the second time.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Sounds like you need some time with Ian…

https://youtu.be/0utf9Wu--W8

Edit: beaten above. I just love watching his videos and I’m not even “into” guns. I just love mechanical and history stuff like that

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

A few months back my partner was in a relatively low speed crash on a tight corner. She had stopped. The other vehicle drove into the front wheels of our car.

As her hands were on the steering wheel she was flung against it and her thumb hyper extended causing all sorts of drama: bone fragments, dislocation, ligament damage, whatever. It’s been 6 weeks and the physiotherapist has just started to introduce a small amount of motion to the extent of letting her close her fist up to 3 times a day.

In short: take your hands off the wheel.

Wow. Usually the airbag handles that by pushing you away at just the right speed but that sounds awful.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sockington posted:

Sounds like you need some time with Ian…

https://youtu.be/0utf9Wu--W8

Edit: beaten above. I just love watching his videos and I’m not even “into” guns. I just love mechanical and history stuff like that

You might enjoy this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4

I guess the OSHA aspect is the poor guys in the Iowa who accidentally put in two sacks of propellant and then hit the compressor.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I guess the OSHA aspect is the poor guys in the Iowa who accidentally put in two sacks of propellant and then hit the compressor.

For battleship OSHA I always think of the poor bastards on the Fuso.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

ilmucche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxwPEL8winI&t=274s

It uses a gear and pawl mechanism to count to 3.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thepopmonster posted:

Given that you can presumably still buy a trigger that fires one bullet on pulling the trigger and one on release, and it's also "legal" to create a hand-cranked gatling gun (presumably only if it's inconvenient to hook up a motor to said crank) so the drone case would probably be "legal" as long as you had a dedicated single-action button for firing without any auto-repeat (or a separate controller, etc).

I had the crazy idea of having a “vigesimal trigger”.

It has twenty positions as it sweeps fore to aft on its pivot. At each of these positions, it prevents aftward motion of itself unless the breach is locked.

Once the breach is locked, the trigger releases the bolt and allows movement to the next position.

Steady finger pressure leads to twenty trigger functions and twenty bullets fired. It works like a crank in that if you keep moving it in the same direction, it keeps cycling the gun.

Now this would be difficult to make mechanically, and I am sure that ATF would find that actually this wasn’t at all like the AR GatCrank, but I like it as an idea.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is an example of a weaponized chilling effect. The idea is if you have no idea where the line is and crossing it sends you to prison forever, most people stay the hell away instead of playing I'm-not-touching-you games. This phenomenon is why courts shot down W Bush's plan to let law enforcement subpoena records of what people check out from libraries: it was transparently a tactic to scare people away from topics the government doesn't like.

They usually don’t prosecute gun smiths for making a prototype and asking “hey ATF what do you think about this mechanism?”, but technically if they don’t like it, you just handed them Exhibits A, B, and C in a case for manufacture of a machine gun.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Something tells me there's no recovery mechanism for this on board, like a giant crane. Is there even anything they could do to stop it once it begins?

:suspense:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Every time a gun weirdo tries to o explain why it's totally dumb to ban one kind of gun because uh, actually, if you knew anything about guns you'd know it's impossible to single any of them out, I just sorta feel like, ok, so you're saying just ban all of them then?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Laws be weird

I remember getting into "but actually" fights with libertarians and I bet that's why the law and policy preferences around small arms are nightmarishly complex

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Swilo posted:

Something tells me there's no recovery mechanism for this on board, like a giant crane. Is there even anything they could do to stop it once it begins?

not really. containers get lost at sea sometimes, worldwide about 2 a day on average

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Slugworth posted:

Every time a gun weirdo tries to o explain why it's totally dumb to ban one kind of gun because uh, actually, if you knew anything about guns you'd know it's impossible to single any of them out, I just sorta feel like, ok, so you're saying just ban all of them then?

Oregon's new gun laws go into effect in two days apparently.

Seemingly normal people will tell you about their gun collections and how people are walking out of Sportsman's Warehouse with armloads of banana clips right now.

Why? Because they enjoy hunting. That's why you have ARs in double digits and a 30 round magazine just doesn't cut the mustard.

e: apparently the thing you have to do (and this guy seemed really off) is take a picture of your future illegal firearm and email it to yourself for a timestamp before Dec 8th. I have no idea what that means but okay

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This was posted in the #blessed pics thread, but I really think it belongs here instead:

The stains on its teeth are the blood of the previous 8 Hippo Oral Hygienists.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Swilo posted:

Nope

Google posted:

The typical year sees hundreds of containers lost at sea. On average, there's somewhere between 700 and 1000 sunken containers annually.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's what is going to wake Cthulhu from His Eternal Slumber. Getting bonked on the noggin by an overboard shipping container.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

That's what is going to wake Cthulhu from His Eternal Slumber. Getting bonked on the noggin by an overboard shipping container.

w̷̬̒h̵̤̏o̷̧͗ ̷̤̓t̶̞͆h̸̤͝ê̴̟ ̷̖̂f̷̞͠ũ̶ͅc̶͎͗k̵̢͝ ̴̨̂o̵̰̊r̷͔̄d̵̛̙e̵̩͗r̴͖̾ę̴́d̸̘͝ ̷̹̃a̴̱̾ĺ̸̮l̷̲̾ ̸̛̰t̶͚͝h̵͙̎e̷̪̅s̵̻͛e̴̝͊ ̸̙͋š̵̝e̴͓̒x̷͖̽-̴̨̋ȧ̵̠r̷̦̾s̴̗̆e̴͎͋s̸͕̆

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Potato Salad posted:

I remember getting into "but actually" fights with libertarians and I bet that's why the law and policy preferences around small arms are nightmarishly complex

It’s an infinite game of “I’m not touching you so you can’t tell Mom”. Anything technical will lag behind legislation, and those that can profit or just like to win will double-speak past legislative intent, so this kind of rules-lawyering is rewarded. Banking does the same dammed thing, hell, FCC gets played the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/e0MWJFw.mp4