Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where can I see all the text that tells the story? I'm not getting the cool stuff about Dwarf X just kicked Dwarf Y, I'm only getting the sprites.

It's called the Combat Log but I don't know where to find it yet in the new version, haven't reached the interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

My friend let me tell you the glad tidings of Carpenter Workshop > construct Bi[n]

e: see you're thinking about giving up, please, keep posting with any questions you have. I think most of us have been playing this for so long it's easy to forget the, not learning cliff, but just the overwhelmingness of having everything thrown at you at once.

The wiki is a valuable resource, but there's so much complexity upfront that it can't help anyone when they don't yet know what questions to ask it.

We can, and will.

I crafted a bunch of bins and barrels but I can't figure out how to place them anywhere and I don't see them in my stockpile or in the build menu :sweatdrop: how do I place them?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mst4k posted:

I have not played this since like 2012 but am going to right after work.

I painted a gigantic mural of one of my best forts back in the day … feels like a lifetime ago!

Oh wow please post a pic of this if you have one!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aeble posted:

That's a cool design.

Figuring out how to lay out a fort in a non-boring way always ended up stopping me ahead of time. Central open shaft usually wins for coolness (and potential to route waterfalls through the center). Gradually widening tiers are also fun. Gonna be pondering a layout now until I can actually play it...

My advice for a fun change of pace is to only use the paint mode when digging instead of the rectangle mode. Make your poo poo organic and wild, plan nothing, just an absolute mess of an anthill. It’s refreshing!

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I just started on the Steam version and a kea has already stolen a copper pick and a bunch of food.

Behold, my fortress's doom:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I crafted a bunch of bins and barrels but I can't figure out how to place them anywhere and I don't see them in my stockpile or in the build menu :sweatdrop: how do I place them?
Dorfs should figure it out if they’re laying around.

You do need relevant stockpiles like goods or bar,block or food.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Anyone else getting crashes when adding a trade depot? Happens right after I pick the material to build with.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, try looking here:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor

Stoneworkers (Engraver, Mason)

Engraver is the skill used for smoothing and engraving walls and floors, carving walls into fortifications, carving minecart tracks into floors and ramps and engraving memorial slabs.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Engraver

Masons are responsible for creating furniture and other objects out of stone in a mason's workshop.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mason

Craftsdwarf (Many jobs including Stone crafter)

Stone crafter - goods such as mugs, crafts, instruments, and toys as well as short swords, jugs, pots, nest boxes and hives from loose stone at a craftsdwarf's workshop.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stone_crafter

Stonecutter is a skill you can take on your starting dwarves

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Last I saw around 30k were playing it so that's nice. Tarn and Zach get 15% each so thats uh, a nice chunk of change, honestly.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

sebmojo posted:

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

I don't have a story about playing, but I do about reading a Let's play. When I was recovering from surgery in 2010 I binged a bunch of DF Let's play's. My family wondered how much painkillers I was on as I seemed to be reading the annotated version of The Matrix. I tried to explain, but I really was on some heavy stuff so it didn't make much sense when I tried to explain what was going on in the screenshots, or that there where a bunch of people playing a game together for the amusement of others.

The Let's play was Nist Akath. Blood and Bones. And I still have the (no longer working) link saved in my favourites.
I just found that some mad dwarf archived it all:
http://aaron.acephalo.us/nist-akath/elizar/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Omnicarus posted:

honestly would be much better if you could play Elves or humans not everyone wants to play Dwarves.

How is this not an instant ban? smh

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What the hell I just got done building 7 bedrooms and you throw 11 migrants at me???

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Do we have a Goon DF discord?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

You'll want to select the stockpile and then click the barrel button.

However I do think they default to using both bins and barrels. It's only wheelbarrows you'll need to manually apply.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arrath posted:

However I do think they default to using both bins and barrels. It's only wheelbarrows you'll need to manually apply.

Does this mean they'll take available bins/barrels and put them in stockpiles and automatically start filling them with whatever is assigned for that area?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Krugg just had a water buffalo skin come to life and had to kill it again.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Okay gently caress me. I was able to buy the game within a few minutes of it going live, but some urgent errands this morning kept me occupied for hours. I finally get back home, play a bit of DF and then check up on this thread to find two hundred ninety-seven new posts from you maniacs to catch up on. Goddamn that makes me happy, as do the player count/sales numbers. Fingers crossed that stuff keeps trending in the right direction!

Despite checking this thread on a daily basis for years now I haven't actually played since before multi-tile trees went in; my first exposure to them in-game is with this nice tileset and translucent Z levels, man those suckers are pretty. I also have to admit I adore the control scheme so far. I've always been an ASCII/keyboard purist in theory, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate the accessibility of this new GUI stuff. I had a great and very smooth experience just hopping into the tutorial and getting down to brass tacks. The soundtrack is fantastic, but I knew about that already. What I didn't expect was the soundscapes, holy poo poo do those get me in the mood. I'd almost say that ambience is the biggest thing making me itch to get back in there and play right now, strangely enough. Also I left my save right before my first winter started so I want to watch everyone inevitably die.

I do wish the graphics scaling method was customizable for zooming, though, I'd rather Nearest Neighbor for this art style. Got that Bilinear mush going on as it stands right now, which doesn't really do it for me. Thankfully no real complaints for the time being, just that and the backwards zooming/level switching (I tend to think of the scroll wheel as moving the camera in and out, not the world), but I can deal with both.

All in all a tremendously satisfying outcome from years of anticipating this, well done to the whole team! Can't wait to see the Noclip doc surrounding the launch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

the hair came back to life too and had to be killed separately

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

looking at the history of my world, there was a dwarf artisan that built a legendary door out of elf bone celebrating the promotion of some random other dwarf - the dwarf had no other links to the other dwarf, but there is still a story behind that door that's very "dwarf fortress".

you see, a few decades before he built the door out of the bones of an elf, he was apprenticed under an elf, until he left and took up an apprentice himself (who was also an elf). a few decades pass and he murders his former master out of nowhere and immediately afterwards makes the legendary door, presumably from the bones of his dead former master.

he still had that other elf as his apprentice for like a decade afterwards.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

Yes. Even back in the 2d days. Boatmurdered's most consistent problems were monkeys and elephants.

The old article on Elephants still makes me smile: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/23a:Elephant

sebmojo posted:

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

My first fort was one I made following advice from Capn_Duck's tutorials. All was well until a bunch of Elkbirds came up from the caverns and started harassing my dwarves, who had no idea how to defend themselves because I never trained a military so eventually I abandoned them to their fate of being pecked and gored to death.

Edit: How useful is the O'Reilly book? I have the 2014 edition but I'm wondering if it's still got solid advice for 2022 DF

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 6, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Decon posted:

I just started on the Steam version and a kea has already stolen a copper pick and a bunch of food.

time to train a crossbow squad!

if the gang tag is happening, please give it to me

my first fort starts later tonight!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SpiritOfLenin posted:

looking at the history of my world, there was a dwarf artisan that built a legendary door out of elf bone celebrating the promotion of some random other dwarf - the dwarf had no other links to the other dwarf, but there is still a story behind that door that's very "dwarf fortress".

you see, a few decades before he built the door out of the bones of an elf, he was apprenticed under an elf, until he left and took up an apprentice himself (who was also an elf). a few decades pass and he murders his former master out of nowhere and immediately afterwards makes the legendary door, presumably from the bones of his dead former master.

he still had that other elf as his apprentice for like a decade afterwards.

Not the worst grad student position available I suppose!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Finally home and loving the stream of historical events during worldgen. Haven't even finished worldgen and already looking forward to checking out legends mode for a while, there's one Elf city that's written like 500 books already

The elves of Lonewall have written so many codices that DF.exe consumes 3 gigs of RAM and 15% cpu and then crashes every time I try to examine the site in legends

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Maduo posted:

I skipped the tutorial so apologies if this is covered there but is there a button or key I can hold down when building walls/ceilings to assign all of one resource to it like in the ASCII version? None of the obvious ones seem to work and I don't want to click 100 times to set up a ceiling.

When mining, there's a button to open advanced settings and then one of the advanced settings is to auto-mine veins.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

The elves of Lonewall have written so many codices that DF.exe consumes 3 gigs of RAM and 15% cpu and then crashes every time I try to examine the site in legends

loving elves at it again! Destroy them.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

It's really here, incredible. And it's beautiful.

I found an awesome embark. The last hill after the mountains overlooking the woodlands. A brook turns into a waterfall inside the hill. I'm thinking of using the little canyon as the entrance to my fort, building a canal on top to divert the water. When the goblins come knocking, I'll just redirect the brook. What could possibly go wrong

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Yep its Dwarf Fortress.

My dingus squad embarked in a medium hostile area next to the mountain home, obviously this means immediate death. No evil biome, goblins, angry elves anywhere near them.

After landing in their new home an alligator immediately killed two dwarves with assistance from a snapping turtle or two.

Mulligan!

Prepared for the welcome from the water demons I set my guard to clubin' mode and she protects the others long enough for a foothold to be made. The bad news was she was traumatized fighting a snapping turtle.

Everything is going well enough, some buzzards bothered my woodcutter and fudged off delaying bins. Summer comes and I have the bare essentials made for a fort. Everyone is alive and happy except for the traumatized leader pondering the meaning of life next to a river.

THE DEAD WALK

Huh? Wait. Huh!?

Several assorted dead humanoids show up on the east side of my map.. One human hauls rear end to my front door. Quickly Uristette picks up her mace and armor and sprints to stop him!

She rushes in to the dinning room/meeting area to see the human ripping apart a rooster. "Hands off that cock!" she shouts swinging her mac... and she's dead.

10/10 GOTY

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

chadbear posted:

What could possibly go wrong

Dwarves need ale to get through the working day, because they need to be able to ask Armok to "hold my beer" at any moment

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I have found the dwarven Walter White, a master chemist making terrible decisions that don't pan out in his dotage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well so much for the doors guarding the entry to my stockpile, I guess.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

GruntyThrst posted:

Do we have a Goon DF discord?

We have a goon management game discord.
Thats where im gonna post my stuff

Ill see if i can leave a link later

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Arrath posted:

Well so much for the doors guarding the entry to my stockpile, I guess.

Make sure that they are "tightly closed" other wise animals just push them open

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Feels like Dwarf Therapist will still be pretty vital; just having that nice big grid open with all jobs and dwarves at once can't be beat for ease of use. I'm having a lot of issues with dwarves doing jobs they shouldn't be, maybe just playing more and relearning (plus learning the new interface) will help with that

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Make sure that they are "tightly closed" other wise animals just push them open

How might I do that. Selecting the door gives me options between passable or forbidden.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Decon posted:

I've had two wheelbarrows stolen by keas!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I had a Dwarf show up for a visit, but his description was Lonely Zombie? He went into my fort, decided he didn't actually want to talk to anyone and left. He was, uh...definitely a zombie though.

Only this game, stg.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tom bob-ombadil posted:

I had a Dwarf show up for a visit, but his description was Lonely Zombie? He went into my fort, decided he didn't actually want to talk to anyone and left. He was, uh...definitely a zombie though.

Only this game, stg.
Necromancers can revive intelligent undead with procedurally generated weird poo poo. Many are good people. I imagine it’s like Fallout ghouls.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

I have found the dwarven Walter White, a master chemist making terrible decisions that don't pan out in his dotage.

Oh poo poo his mom was also a prolific author.
And prolific necromancer.
And leader of one of the civs.
And the Flutes / Nuts war was actually the two other largest civs tag teaming her society of thousands of zombies.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The story of Hamenourished just came to a grisly end, in the Autumn of the first year. :(

I had breached the caverns and even built walls around my entrance to them, but one of the wall build orders hadn't been fulfilled...

Cue 3 blind cave ogres (and before that, some... deer birds? Birds with antlers??) arriving into the mountainhome. In a hurry, I tried to figure out how to set up a squad and send my dwarves against the ogres, but alas, they lacked any fighting skill or equipment.

The population has dropped from 14 to 7, and the dwarves left have gone from content-to-extatic to miserable-to-content. The ogres are also now on the surface, wandering Southwest on whatever personal quest they think they're on. I wonder if not attacking them at all would've resulted in a peaceful outcome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

for some new df story.
my hunting dog just died in 1vs1 against a duck.

another one from df legends mode.
there was this goblin that tricked dwarf civ into believing it was a god.
he then started big embezzlement scheme with help of some human.
The human dies to old age at which point the goblin makes the human into saint, presumably because that human helped the goblin embezzle so much.

finally have ghouls making friends in the battlefield.