Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Voting will end later tonight after I get home from work. In the meantime, Dwarf Fortress has finally released on Steam after two decades, so please support it if you have interest!

Unfortunately, you can't sacrifice Tyrant Manifest, because the Tyrant will get grouchy and refuse. Same applies to Deadwalk and The Silver Mind technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Randalor posted:

I'm leaning towards the Iron Inserts, Deluxifier, and Skip Sandwich myself. The Skip Sandwich more because we're kind of a glass cannon, so guaranteeing we go first is a big help. The White Belt seems nice, but we're already pretty low level, and the Aqualuma doesn't seem THAT good unless we keep running into situations where there are multiple groups fighting each other so we're not hitting enemies with what they would be strong against (or outright absorbing instead). I'm honestly tempted to say the shotgunshoulders or the chain mail to suitify and then rethread into the black suit.

Haven't all the things you listed to get rid of saved our bacon on at least 1 occasion? Besides, we have no way to know just how each power and technique "ranks" for it, or just how much Napp would take as payment. I don't want to give him everything just to find out he takes an 80% cut.

Yeah, everything's been helpful sometimes. That's how having a grab bag works, but it's less interesting. also, yanno. The way these games work if the gm is good is the things on your character sheet are going to be relevant to problems you encounter.

The only change I'd make to my original post is yeah, we should keep avi's question for sure.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The issue is more that Voorish is the only ability that I would readily agree to giving up because it's outright harmful, though I guess I can also see getting rid of Cheeseburger magics because of its ties to MC&D and who knows what unseen effects it has (does it ping them every time it's used, for instance).

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Yeah, but you gotta give up cool stuff to get cool stuff, and by getting rid of a lot of our less interesting grab bag of powers we can focus on on stuff that feels more character appropriate. Whatever we get will be useful, because that's how the game works, and it will even let us get new stuff without being absolutely drowned in 1000 things on the character sheet.

Plus, if we give up a lot of stuff, the resulting power should be quite good.

I'm not like, saying we HAVE to give up all of that either, just those are the things I'd consider.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i'd put Voorish, Diamond, and cheezbergs ( :( ) up on the chopping block

Voorish i wouldn't mind using more... but we're just not going that direction as a character at this point

Diamond is iffy-helpful -- i think we should lean into accepting the reality of our anxiety and tyrrany rather than pretending it's not there only for it to blow up in our face at (most likely) the worst possible time

cheeseburger magic is no joke one of my fave things about this game, but we just aren't investing in the direction of it being more reliable. thinking back on the thread my impression is it's rocking the 50/50 success rate we've built for it and... well, it'd be nice to have something just a skosh more reliable

that said, i think if we just sliced off Voorish and Diamond we'd be in line for some nice poo poo, too

re: inventory stuff: i'd say keep boring and go for the deluxifier, suit armor, skip sammich, and chaos lunch. maybe the oiled chain with the intent of suitifying it and threading into the old/kadath suit

as a general thing: i think we might be downplaying how useful the kadath suit is due to the one failure we had with it. iirc it has a p. good chance of success given our solid WL

edit: now that i look again, could the oiled chain be worn under our suit? or over, whatever. cause uh.... ngl i think the corruption risk would be worth it in exchange for +6 goddam HT on top of everything else it does

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 6, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, good point about Diamond, I'd been fine with trading it, Voorish and Cheeseburger to strengthen one of our other abilities if we can't choose a new one. We REALLY shouldn't wear the chain mail as is, it's a greater than 50% chance of getting 2 corruption a day (average of 3d6 is 10.5 if I remember how to math, and while it gives 1 point of corruption, it also doubles ALL corruption gained). It would be fantastic if we were doing some sort of corruption run, speed run, or gearing up for the final showdown, but as it stands, we have had periods of "We black out and wake up several days later" and the last thing we need is just suddenly gaining a pile of corruption for nothing.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Yeah. I think the most interesting ones on the table here are red right hand (both pretty tyrant-y and appropriate since we're going to deal with Red, though possibly not /helpful/ to upgrade right now), either of our Tyrant Techniques, the Silver Mind (All are both thematic and pretty good), Blade Majesteaux (we haven't gone that heavy on the sword stuff, but we could), or inevitable (it's cool.) Or see what we get new thing wise!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You know, knowing that there's a greater than 0% chance we'll have to kill Red, it's a shame that we can't give her shroud back if we do kill her. So I guess we'll just have to try all the harder to not kill her and get her soul another way. If she just joins us as a party member (which we know we can have), does that count as us having her soul? After all, we would have it, we would just have it in a convenient, mobile sentient container that happens to be Red shaped.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

We should NOT get rid of cheeseburger magics. Absolutely not. It may not be 100% reliable, but it is a massive advantage to have food on demand for our trash compactor, which is only gonna be hungrier for our increased strength. The trash compactor is so important to keep happy.

If anything we should upgrade cheeseburger magics to make it happen more often.

Basically I see two options:
1. Combine Voorish Sign (fucks w ppl’s heads) and Inevitable (scares ppl) into one ability.
2. Sacrifice Voorish Sign and/or Inevitable to make Cheeseburger Magics stronger.
3. Do nothing, we’re fine as is.

Would highly recommend against touching the glitched abilities. Abusing glitches too much will make the game softlock or crash in an unrecoverable way.

1. Fighter - this is a good idea to pick up. I think of it as a one time use weapon that is guaranteed to win us one fight we would normally run from. AND, we could potentially suitify and rethread it…. 👀
2. Black thumb - incredible passive, but the drawback is much too harsh. “Prevents user from needing to sleep” is not a good thing, it is very very very bad. Massive psychological damage, and prevents us from being able to visit our dreamland friends. Plus it might interact poorly with our mushroom ecosystem in our body! Hard pass.
3. ShotgunShoulders - I’m not convinced this is right for us, but, it is a gun that never runs out of ammo, and has potential for rethreading…
4. Raw Steel Chain - no. We would need to stabilize corruptions first.
5. Iron Inserts - first priority to get.
6. Aqualuma - I’m not crazy about it but it would come in handy at some point. I’d rather get Fighter.
7. White belt - I actually don’t know if this is as good as it sounds. Don’t get me wrong, it can be exploited and would be handy, but looking weak all the time I think would actually draw more predators to us than we’d like. Like, we could end up wearing ourselves out fighting off critters that see easy food. I dunno!
8. Deluxifier - priority two.
9. Sandwhich - priority 3?
10. Chaos Lunch - also priority 3. WE NEED FOOD. keeping trash compactor happy is important!!!

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 6, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FAT BATMAN posted:

We should NOT get rid of cheeseburger magics. Absolutely not. It may not be 100% reliable, but it is a massive advantage to have food on demand for our trash compactor, which is only gonna be hungrier for our increased strength. The trash compactor is so important to keep happy.

Excellent AV/post combo

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

1. Fighter - this is a good idea to pick up. I think of it as a one time use weapon that is guaranteed to win us one fight we would normally run from. AND, we could potentially suitify and rethread it…. 👀

It's not one-use, it breaks on 16 or more which means 3/18 or about 1/6 chance to lose it per fight. (it's actually even better odds than that since we are not rolling a 1d18 but 3d6 which naturally drags the roll towards the average of 10.5, but i am not gonna bother calculating the exact odds)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lmaooo no don’t get rid of avi’s quest

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m thinking simple and practical: iron inserts, skip sandwich (doubling speed is very good), deluxifier, aqualuma. Having a Toolbox is good, i don’t think we need to ditch too many things though i guess the sign could go.

Raw steel is a trap, almost nothing is with massive corruption unless we can use it to speedrun the rest of the encounters or have a reliable way to reduce corruption

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Voted Java, coffee good

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Regallion posted:

It's not one-use, it breaks on 16 or more which means 3/18 or about 1/6 chance to lose it per fight. (it's actually even better odds than that since we are not rolling a 1d18 but 3d6 which naturally drags the roll towards the average of 10.5, but i am not gonna bother calculating the exact odds)
It actually makes a big difference - the exact odds are 20/216 ~ 9%, much lower than 1/6 ~ 17%. That thing is excellent in any long fight, and can be used relatively safely without worrying about saving it for a major encounter. The problem is that in a short fight it’s much worse than the black blade, which gives an extra attack and potential holy damage - and with our obscene strength that extra attack translates to a lot of damage. Our fights so far have very much tended to the short and brutal side, too.

Unless the bonus damage carries over between fights? If it carries over between fights then it’s completely nuts - we can just get into a long but relatively safe fight to turn it into an obscene superweapon. There’s also some potential for shenanigans if we can find an ally capable of sparring with us before a serious fight in order to buff it. These seem like outside shots, though.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Voted for Boletus because I trust the shrooms.

I'm okay bartering the Intense Potion, Sable Lemons, Rose Gold Apple, and Potion of Joy.

My purchase priorities are: 1) Iron Inserts, 2) Deluxifier, 3), Fighter, 4) Power Begets. Not interested in other purchases.

If we can afford Power Begets, I'd be willing to ditch Psychic Shield, Voorish Sign, and Grace Under Pressure, aiming to improve Molten Veins, Red Right Hand, or generate a new ability.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - What Top Shelf To Peek?

Aureolin - 2
Doppelganger - 5
Abyssal - 1
Java - 3
Boletus - 3
Hardcore - 1
Gaia - 3
Intergalactic - 6

...LOADING

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

so it's just a normal everyday southern californian suburb in the summer is what you're saying

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As a central Canadian, Starlight Suburbs has some really unfortunate implications.

Not telling Black August not to use the term, just drawing attention to it as it's both something thats little known, and also associated with a horribly racist and inhuman practice.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You reach down and grab the key made out of a glittering purple titanium. Napp snatches it away with a single clumsy-quick motion, and drags down a dense metal shelf hidden away somewhere in the riverboat rafters.

He clicks the lock and presses a button, allowing it to glide-click open and expand down into more things he's willing to do a trade with you for.

You keep still and polite, both of you careful to not press the temper-line you both eye each other from. He just wants to deal. You just want to survive. So you'll make bond and ease into the idea of better customer service gradually. You exhale and look over everything you've placed on offer. The new shelf has some neat looking things; some kind of compact array with colorful crystals. A freaky little metal tank with a neck-inject collar. A cool sphere-tank-bottle of some kind of radiant megacocktail. A lovely double bass with gem-metal strings. A little stasis-pack of some exotic blend of superfoods. Then there's a blood-glass case with a nasty looking auto-injector spine harness set as one of Napp's Red Light Deals. There were some boots for sale, but they had to be taken down for some repair issues. Yeesh. A lot to choose from, and not a ton to trade for it. You'll need to just let go of most of this esoteric aid array and select what makes sense for the walk to Solar's Megalith.

Megalith... will your blood be enough? Will Burner melt you screaming with radiance so pure you can see your own bones? Will you watch your skin boil, your brain chemically lobotomized? Will the Sunburners turn on you, and laugh behind their masks as they click-bathe you in a gentle light, only for you to not realize until a day later that you're falling to scythe with falling-out teeth and dead cells hemorrhaging? Will they? Can you overcome?

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

You exhale and trust that if you could survive one walk, you'll master this one as well. You decide you can put off a rethreading until after you reach your apartment, where you'll feel vastly more secure and safe. Oh, you long for the shower's infinite! Okay. You have to take it one step at a time, and you'll do so by considering your many options. Despite everything, Napp does in fact seem pretty excited to have someone he can play up his mysterious merchant gimmick with, and the elder shambler gestures with excess as he reads off his memory of every good's promise. You'll wrap up here, maybe lunch, and then make beeline for your waiting saferoom.

There's a lot to think over. You better choose wisely.

1. What would you like to buy?
2. What are you willing to sell?

3. In the name of the Salty King, will you willingly take on a demon's curse of power?
4. Will you willingly inject weird alien DNA directly into your spine?

5. Will you make sacrifice to Power Begets?
6. If so, what *is* your sacrifice?

[Voting ends tomorrow morning]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Randalor posted:

As a central Canadian, Starlight Suburbs has some really unfortunate implications.

Not telling Black August not to use the term, just drawing attention to it as it's both something thats little known, and also associated with a horribly racist and inhuman practice.

Not my intention. In this context they're literally-starlit magic suburbs in Dancer's lands.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Voted for:

Buy - Fighter, Beam Array, Iron Inserts, Life Tank, Deluxifier
Sell - Intense Potion, Sable Lemons, Rose Gold Apple, Potion of Joy

Curse - No
Inject - No

Beget - Yes
Offers - Timed Hits, Psychic Shield, Grace Under Pressure, Voorish Sign

Might have jumped the gun voting so quickly and not waiting for discussion but given that most of the options are the same as before I'm reasonably confident. Hopefully I didn't forget anything that we were saving the potions or fruit for.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

If we wanted to equip the life tank, we would have to unequip the kurzerwonky feather, right?

I think we should sell the kurzerwonky.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

FAT BATMAN posted:

If we wanted to equip the life tank, we would have to unequip the kurzerwonky feather, right?

I think we should sell the kurzerwonky.

We are not able to sell Kurczerwony. Maybe it's a mistake on the strawpoll but it's just not an option, and I can believe that the Tyrant-Child is simply and flatly unwilling to sell it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jellynetics is a hard no from me - the FP vampire effect is incredibly nice and might be worth the IQ point, but the ice weakness will absolutely 100% get us killed. Hell resonance also sounds… kinda bad. The beam array looks like an excellent upgrade to a weapon we’re not specced into using, but might still be worth picking up for the sheer versatility. (Worth noting that timed hots already gives us a way of ignoring defence - so let’s not give those up to power begets! We’ll need it for Hider.) The life tank is straightforwardly great and drastically better than kurczerwony or aqualuma.

Black August, Fizzion Blue says it gives “a measure of corruption” - should that read either a measure of radiance, or a full extra corruption, or is this something different? If it’s a measure of radiance then it looks to me like a good buy as an emergency measure, but not if it’s an extra corruption.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 8, 2022

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

Black August, Fizzion Blue says it gives “a measure of corruption” - should that read either a measure of radiance, or a full extra corruption, or is this something different? If it’s a measure of radiance then it looks to me like a good buy as an emergency measure, but not if it’s an extra corruption.

One measure/point of radiance/corruption, yeah.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh we got the Metroid pack lol

Absolutely not for alien dna or demon deals

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

I forgot about Hider, so yeah hopefully Timed Hits doesn't get ditched. Sorry about that. But if we do drop it hopefully the upgrade/new power offers an alternative way of mitigating Defense.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for Iron Plates, Life Tank and Deluxifier. Also, hard No to demonic bargains or loving with our DNA, though I'm even more willing to get rid of the burger power considering that... uh... what lease? What did the lease contract entail?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait, what? There are confirmed aliens in this setting? How does that work.

Anyway:
Beam array - we have nothing to add this to, since i have a feeling we won't have the buster for much longer and the basic gun seems like a waste to upgrade. It's great, but like, about as usable as our first orbital.
Fizblu - no.
Life tank - oh, double our HP capacity? Don't mind if i do.
Stellar bass - i want this so we can rock someone's socks off. Also seems like it would be a super valuable trade good for some kind of Backup.
Tomato - low priority.
Jelly - too much downside for an effect that we have little opportunity to use (we don't fight weak opponents because we are not an rear end in a top hat and strong opponents will likely either avoid or punish us for using this). It also makes us dumber which is already an ongoing issue.

Also hard torn between demons of stalk and emotion, went for emotion because we really could use better diplomacy options.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 8, 2022

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Like Jellynetics, think it would play nice with our parasite + red right hand, maybe even set up a better HP/FP steal later.
Molten Veins even keeps the Ice from killing us, though we would need to source some proper resistance before any underwater/icy adventures.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Okay, actually i changed my mind - get the dang jelly.

Why? because it gives us a guaranteed non-lethal option on ANYONE.
Just lower their FP and watch them collapse.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arcanuse posted:

Like Jellynetics, think it would play nice with our parasite + red right hand, maybe even set up a better HP/FP steal later.
Molten Veins even keeps the Ice from killing us, though we would need to source some proper resistance before any underwater/icy adventures.

My one concern is how damage resistance and damage vulnerability stack. Is it just an outright "Resistance trumps weakness" or is it a "last one applied takes precedent" situation? Though yeah, having a way to win a fight by knocking people out is a decent argument for it that I hadn't considered. The catch is we have to be able to grab them, but I think we're strong enough we should be able to hold on to anything once we grab them.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Offload

What would you like to buy?
Fighter [Weapon] - 2
Black Thumb [Weapon] - 1
Shotgun Shoulders [Gun] - 0
Beam Array [Gun Upgrade] - 11 [Too Expensive...]
Raw Steel Chain [Armor] - 1
Iron Inserts [Old Suit Armor Upgrade] - 15
Aqualuma [Relic] - 2
White Belt [Relic] - 8
Life Tank [Relic] - 12
Deluxifier [One-Use Item] - 15
Fizzion Blue [One-Use Item] - 5
Stellar Bass [Item] - 2
Skip Sandwich [Food] - 4
Komato With Tomato [Food] - 4
CHAOS LUNCH [Cheap Random Food] - 4

What are you willing to sell?
Ashtheft - 0
Kadath Regalia - 6
Zolty Zuit - 5
Intense Potion - 12
Cthughan Fireworks - 9
Sable Lemons - 13
Rose Gold Apple - 10
Potion of Joy - 7

In the name of the Salty King, will you willingly take on a demon's curse of power?
No thanks. I'd rather not take on even more soul-mutilating nightmare abilities. - 17
Give me the power of a Demon of Lies. - 0
Give me the power of a Demon of Stalking. - 0
Give me the power of a Demon of Destruction. - 0
Give me the power of a Demon of Emotion. - 1
Give me the power of a Demon of Enslavement. - 1
Give me the power of a Demon of Deception. - 0
Give me the power of a Demon of Isolation. - 2

Will you willingly inject weird alien DNA directly into your spine?
What's some RNA between monsters? Inject me. [-1 IQ] - 4
No. I already have one parasite in me as it is. - 18

Will you make sacrifice to Power Begets?
Yes, give me a blessing of power at an affordable price. - 9
No, I'll keep my catalogue as-is for now. - 11

If so, what *is* your sacrifice?
Blade Majestueux - 1
Timed Hit! - 1
Psychic Shield - 3
PSI Clouding - 2
Avi’s Question - 0
I n e v i t a b l e - 6
9 Lives - 0
Molten Veins II - 0
Bubbleblood II - 1
Cheeseburger Magics [WARNING: LEASE VIOLATION] - 3
Grace Under Pressure - 10
Red Right Hand - 2
Vo̷orįsh Şig̴n͘ - 13
 ▮▮▮ ░░░░░░░ - 3

...LOADING

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
how on earth did we not sell the zolty zuit

it's awful even from a rethreading perspective

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, is the glitch skill part of the trade? I know we're not taking it, but the 3 is bolded.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Dr_Gee posted:

how on earth did we not sell the zolty zuit

it's awful even from a rethreading perspective
Good diplomacy for dealing with sunburners, it’s an envirosuit for radiation-heavy environments like (probably) Burner’s lorded land, and in the Burner fight I’d much rather have a somewhat lovely conditional immunity to nuclear than no immunity.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

we really should have taken Power Begets.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

…also, if the deluxifier can uncurse the zolty zuit or make the immunities less conditional then it will absolutely save our rear end over and over and over again. IIRC from last time we get to see in advance whether it will confer a small, medium or large upgrade, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Google Docs is interacting real poorly with my internet today, so the rest of the sheet updates will follow once it behaves again. As a note, Napp placed the Beam Array on backorder for another visit since it was a desired purchase, but the sell-credit was just short of covering for it.