Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My world has a faction named The Bodice of Torment and it kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pigbuster posted:

Forgot how inherently funny this game is

https://i.imgur.com/uvtBumU.gifv

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They keep losing wars though :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Weembles posted:

Has anyone had problems with the menus not rendering correctly?

the support for 4k seems really bad unless you disable the interface scaling

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Maugrim posted:

Thanks this is very useful, and for anyone wondering which file to look in it's announcements.txt

thanks, edited!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Started up the first fort in probably a couple years here. poo poo, I am rusty, and the new controls fuckin with my muscle memory! I also am a horrific idiot, as I tried to sell elves a bunch of booze to buy out a caravan (trying to put some hair on the chests of those stick-eaters). Turns out everything was in wooden barrels and I am now under siege!

Edit: lmao, good news! As soon as I unpaused the game from coming to type this up, I am double-sieged by goblins too now! Gonna see if this problem resolves itself

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Played through the tutorial and I am loving the graphics as I knew I would. I love being able to recognise my dwarves and just see what they look like without having to read a wall of text description.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

Has anyone figured out how to disallow seeds from cooking? I think I doomed myself.

Labor (y) -> Kitchen -> Seeds

Oops, beaten and a new page.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

sebmojo posted:

Is it worth putting a few steam version tips like this into the op?

Yes, please god, put tips for the steam version in the OP. Like the quoted text to change in the raws about notifications. I'm gonna absolutely forget that that's a thing and will be pissed off about it until I stumble upon it later.

While I'm here, please put me down for a gang tag. The unfortunate bit is, it's been so long since I played a fort for any reasonable amount of time that I literally do not have any good stories of my own about DF. Can I instead bribe my way in with a buglist?

Here's a pretty sizeable TVTrops buglist which has So. Many good bugs. The very first one is one reported to be a favorite of Tarn himself. Apparently hammerers, being the forts justice-bringers, would take their jobs extremely seriously. What happens if you have a hammerer who can't hold a hammer? Maybe his arms are broken, or even gone entirely? Well, I'll tell you. In whichever version this was, the hammerless hammerer would instead opt to bite their victims the criminal to death. And then due to a separate bug, they would walk around with any severed bits of flesh or limbs in their mouth. Forever. until whatever the chunk was rotted away.

Also, I want to scream in to the void a bit, today was a particularly lovely day. Work was a double gently caress due to the dog-and-pony show that is corporate visiting onsite. Along with that, life events happened recently, and I am temporarily literally dirt poor. The wife and I literally have -$260 to our name currently(gently caress you, loan-issuer. You could've stopped that payment but you chose not to when we asked. We're paid through April. Also, gently caress you, bank. gently caress you and your lovely predatory fee structure. "Oh, we can stop the payment, but you'll incur a 'bad check fee' of $30. But we could let the payment go and you'll only get an overdraft fee instead. Yeah, that's $30") Thus, I am unable to afford to buy the game until payday. I am almost incomprehensibly angry about everything right now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can't believe I'm asking this question again, after nearly two decades, so much so it's bringing a smile to my face: I shouldn't take an anvil on embark, right? We're still guaranteed a blacksmith in the first wave who'll bring their own?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
how the hell do you access the event history screen where you can see events and combat? I cannot find the new hotkey or button for the life of me

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

text entry for custom stockpile naming doesn't override the WASD movement commands, it seems

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Just to throw my two cents to new players having a hard time, also let this count as my DF story for the gangtag.

I tried to play DF multiple times over many years inspired by the many stories it generated, and every time I'd bounce off of it, never quite understanding what it was I was missing. I'd let a few years pass between each attempt, and each time I vowed I'd dig a little deeper, maybe there was something in the wiki, or some mod, or some special setting for the lazy newb pack, or some tileset, but nothing seemed to help me get it. I forgot about the game for a few years until around 3 years ago where I decided to give it one last chance. After losing two forts to were-beasts, one fort to flooding, another to starvation and yet another still to downward mood spiral which ended predictably in dwarven civil war I finally, eventually, after tens of hours and many failures I built my first 'successful' fort. I was honestly shocked when it finally came together, I had bustling tavern with visitors, a library gathering scholars a famous works of literature as well as books on math and geometry, it had a thriving industry and a strong complment of around 30 dwarves well armed and well trained, I'd built the walls high against a mountainside and sealed it off with a roof, walls outside was the first thing I got set up terrified of losing yet another fort to a random werebeast, I had a stone crafter and stockpile set up on the surface so all the stone got dragged up to be craved into blocks and used to build the initial fortifications. After leaning the key survival skills of planting, cooking, brewing, stockpiles and storage items(bins,barrels), everything else came together one thing at a time once I had some walls, I got further than I'd ever gotten before, I was finally starting to understand the arcane keyboard driven menu and make progress come up with new goals and not feel completely lost. Eventually the fort fell to the time old hubris of digging too deep without being fully prepared, but for those not in the know I won't spoil what happened next so you can find out for yourselves! I know it's not really a typical DF story as it's not one generated by the game as such, but honestly just learning to play the game was a big deal for me after so many years of trying, and I've been looking forward to the steam release since it was announced as a result.

I'd like to say it was some key fact or something the game did that made it stand out, but I think honestly, the thing that clicked in my brain is that dwarf fortress isn't a game the way other colony sims are, it's a simulation first and a game second, whereas most others, your rimworlds and such, tend to be games first and simulations second. Some people might not agree with this assessment, and maybe that the dividing line between whether this is a game for you or not. Mostly I think it's just the fact it just takes a lot of time to learn, it's not a game that just clicks after a couple of hours, you have to keep going for a good ten to twenty hours and somewhere along the way you'll have fun failing and learning from each failure getting a little further each time, until finally you build the fort you ended up dreaming about, and feeling a sense of pride of overcoming what it took to get there. I'm glad I finally stuck it out, even if the game made me feel like the biggest idiot on the planet for the first 20 hours, finally breaking through that barrier was worth it because there really is nothing out there like Dwarf Fortress.

I hope anyone who gets put off by the game initially gives it a chance, but it's worth warning people that it's definitely not the kind of game that you'll know 100% whether it's for you within the steam refund window. The game takes too long to learn and no amount of UI or tutorialisation I think will ever fix that, it's just too big and it's only ever going to get bigger, it just takes time. For anyone on the fence I'd say give DF classic a go with lazy newb pack installed. It'll still take a long time to learn but it won't cost you anything to find out if the price for the steam version is too steep for people who maybe don't have as much time to dedicate just learning a game.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Weembles posted:

Has anyone had problems with the menus not rendering correctly?

Check your video options and adjust the width of the interface . It seems it's not correctly set at higher resolutions.

toasterwarrior posted:

I can't believe I'm asking this question again, after nearly two decades, so much so it's bringing a smile to my face: I shouldn't take an anvil on embark, right? We're still guaranteed a blacksmith in the first wave who'll bring their own?

No, if you don't take an anvil you have to wait and buy one from a dwarven or human caravan or request one from the dwarven liaison

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Was super keen on this but $43.59 is actually kind of insane for a game like this. :shrug:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Estel posted:

No, if you don't take an anvil you have to wait and buy one from a dwarven or human caravan or request one from the dwarven liaison

Thank you. Times truly have changed...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

tbh for the amount of play time you'll get out of it if it's something you end up being into, I don't agree at all. heck, RimWorld costs $5 more than it (plus $75 in DLCs, if you'd like)

also the non-Steam version is still around and free, so that's always an option too!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

Forgot how inherently funny this game is

Had to dig these incredible posts back up.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

someone awful. posted:

tbh for the amount of play time you'll get out of it if it's something you end up being into, I don't agree at all. heck, RimWorld costs $5 more than it (plus $75 in DLCs, if you'd like)

also the non-Steam version is still around and free, so that's always an option too!

I might eventually, but as you rightly point out, in a world of free games this just isn't good value for that much money.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
except, it is

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So lets say I want to encrust a specific statue with gems. As near as I can tell, the best way to do that is to set up a stockpile with that statue and some gems in it, and set the jeweler's workshop to pull only from that?

The work order for encrusting furniture doesn't seem to have the flexibility to specify what furniture you use.

Pararoid posted:

I might eventually, but as you rightly point out, in a world of free games this just isn't good value for that much money.

To be fair, the game is free from the Bay12 website, and you could download the LNP or other tilesets and get right into it, plus the wiki would be 100% accurate.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah. I've been saying this forever, but gamers truly are fuckin' spoiled for value. And to think they'll throw a shitfit about cosmetic shops and everything but somehow a game not even the price of a full basket of weekly groceries is too much money.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'll take a gangtag please.

Started my first fort on the steam version, chose a place with "a river" and "a large elevation change".
Upon loading in, this magnificent structure that defies physics was there. I wish I could see this in 3d because I can barely comprehend it as it is now. It appears to be a river but as it goes over the cliff it extends out instead of just falling down the cliffside.

Regardless I get to work! I wanted to create a cool entrance that goes into the mountainside and has a bridge that goes over the river partway in.

OH NO CURSE YOU PHYSICS DEFYING RIVER

The supplies are quickly hauled into the entryway and the bridge is constructed. Turns out the entrance isn't as grand as I imagined, as the cats are hunting in the brook. The dwarves will also sometimes go down the river instead of using the entry hallway.

This fisherdwarf must have wanted a close up look of the top of the river and took a tumble down.

Not having a good time.

A hospital is given top priority and set in place. Luckily we're able to save her.

The first newbies arrive and one of them is a legendary weaponsmith! And I have a TON of hematite lying around, so we're well set.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pararoid posted:

lol god drat

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

just wait for it to show up on torrent sites and then donate whatever you think its worth directly to the brothers' paypal

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah. I've been saying this forever, but gamers truly are fuckin' spoiled for value. And to think they'll throw a shitfit about cosmetic shops and everything but somehow a game not even the price of a full basket of weekly groceries is too much money.

I mean, yeah, spending as much on a week's food as a game is insane for most people. It's fine to be wealthy enough for that not to be the case, but it absolutely is for many many people around the world.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Pararoid posted:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Dwarf Fortress: No Poors.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/quill18/status/1600277862350786561

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I grew up poor in an actual third-world country, don't try that poo poo on me. Video games are a luxury, treat them like one and save up for it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Pararoid posted:

Dwarf Fortress: No Poors.

i get that you're trolling, but in a world where AAA games just went up to $70, you're complaining about a $30 game with potentially thousands of hours of playtime being "bad value"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

I grew up poor in an actual third-world country, don't try that poo poo on me. Video games are a luxury, treat them like one and save up for it.

I'd also like to point out that this isn't some faceless mega corp that made the game either.

These two dudes 100% deserve it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hell, one could say 70USD honestly still isn't enough for all the work that goes into a modern videogame, but I digress.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Pararoid posted:

I mean, yeah, spending as much on a week's food as a game is insane for most people. It's fine to be wealthy enough for that not to be the case, but it absolutely is for many many people around the world.

The game is available for free on the web and there are mods which add a lot of the same QOL features the steam release does. You can try the free version and decide if you'd like to pay for the updated UI in the future.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Arrath posted:

So lets say I want to encrust a specific statue with gems. As near as I can tell, the best way to do that is to set up a stockpile with that statue and some gems in it, and set the jeweler's workshop to pull only from that?

The work order for encrusting furniture doesn't seem to have the flexibility to specify what furniture you use.

Yep, it's a bit roundabout.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
*throwing darts at the Twitter Discourse dartboard*

[thwap] Dwarf Fortress is... [thwap] Classist because... [thwap] Steam release

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ok, I'm an idiot - how do I un-designate mining?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Maduo posted:

It is worth saying that despite the vast unknowable depths, this version is very much less obtuse about a lot of things. I've been playing for over a decade and I just found out cavern soil is the best soil because the farm plot straight up tells you that.

Rooms and Zones being flattened into the same system blew my mind

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yep, it's a bit roundabout.

Cool, thank you.

These are the lil QoL things I would love to see, especially for workshop orders.

manero posted:

The button that looks like an eraser, just to the right of the mining / chop trees / gather plants buttons.

If you're still in the tutorial you may be locked out of that because the tutorial disables most controls outside what it tells you to use for...reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

manero posted:

The button looks like an old timey eraser.