Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

That can change based on interactions that happen in Act I. If you threaten to expose Mathieu and Rüdeger to the abbot, Rüdeger flees and never returns. Mathieu remains bitter about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow... grimson just told on themselves...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

MizuZero posted:

illuminata & andreas’s overdue book fetch quest dialogue was when this game hooked me

They way they presented the scene was immaculate. Talking about these old books by having the screen focus on a page illustrations of the story which look so much older than the character models. The characters of the game overlaying themselves atop the illustrations was so good and really communicated where and how these character relate to stories and books. Being able to say Paul's right and going all "well ackshually" in response to Illuminata being all "it's p hard being a woman in the middle ages" is some absolute puppy kicking behaviour that I did not pick... but I dig it is being explored. I did not save the book

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i bought the game because i like josh sawyer. used to like j.e. sawyer. I believe that's no longer preferred. I'll say it how it shows up in the new game "Pentiment" when i play it. don't really know for now

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Finished Act One. This is a hell of a game so far. You have to get an innocent killed, don't you? It's glaringly obvious that none of those three did it.

And I'm pretty sure I know who did -- the doctor. One of the nuns told me of a strange smell moving through the cloister that night that sounded medicinal to me, one of the kids told me about a "ghost" moving through the Roman ruins, and the notes are written in a hand that speaks of a high level of German education, and as the doctor himself was so keen to brag at me, we were the only two people in town with a University education, and he went to a different, fancier school than I did.

So I think I know who did it, or at least who was pulling the strings, but not why or enough of how. I'm coming for that person, though, this time, if I can.

Also, the game is beautiful.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm doing another playthrough so I can do real sicko poo poo like end Act 1 in the Abbott's good graces, and I have to say taking the logic background is loving amazing. I corrected the Arch Deacon on his choice of Latin phrase and he very politely but sternly told me to gently caress off :allears:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I took a logic background on my first playthrough and it is great.

RPGs say "in our game skill check answer is not actually always good" but it's almost always a lie. Pentiment is the game where stat checks allow you to be The Worst in a very personal way.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
^^^^ Taking the Hedonist background just unlocks being a chill bro in dialog.

I checked out a_raving_loon playing through act 1 and got hooked. I read the Illuminata/Andres scene where they get overdue books and rewound it and read that lil popup section to my baby. The paperdoll characters posing themselves overlaid on an even more ancient page of an even more ancient characters they empathized with was inspired. This is a beautiful story about ancient posters.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ilitarist posted:

I took a logic background on my first playthrough and it is great.

RPGs say "in our game skill check answer is not actually always good" but it's almost always a lie. Pentiment is the game where stat checks allow you to be The Worst in a very personal way.

KirbyKhan posted:

^^^^ Taking the Hedonist background just unlocks being a chill bro in dialog.

:hmmyes: Nobody in history has ever liked Facts and Logic assholes.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

well I totally had no idea this existed until two minutes ago and definitely going to the list

"fresco elysium" just had me rofling

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Jerusalem posted:

I'm doing another playthrough so I can do real sicko poo poo like end Act 1 in the Abbott's good graces, and I have to say taking the logic background is loving amazing. I corrected the Arch Deacon on his choice of Latin phrase and he very politely but sternly told me to gently caress off :allears:

my first playthrough taught me how to marshal my know-it-all tongue because mashing the funny symbol sentence doesn’t always lead to a favourable outcome. It also taught me effective sycophancy: so far andreas has scored a sweet badge from lorenz, two fish dinners, and a free stay in the abbey’s guest house.

I’m gonna try and make maultaschen at some point over the holidays

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

They way they presented the scene was immaculate. Talking about these old books by having the screen focus on a page illustrations of the story which look so much older than the character models. The characters of the game overlaying themselves atop the illustrations was so good and really communicated where and how these character relate to stories and books. Being able to say Paul's right and going all "well ackshually" in response to Illuminata being all "it's p hard being a woman in the middle ages" is some absolute puppy kicking behaviour that I did not pick... but I dig it is being explored. I did not save the book

I saved the book and joked that I was going to learn french, read it, and become a heretic

Act II spoilers: and had a good laugh when I realized that the sun-symbol dialog options were because in the timeskip I had learned french, read it, and become a heretic

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm doing another playthrough so I can do real sicko poo poo like end Act 1 in the Abbott's good graces
I... just ended Act 1 in the Abbott's good graces. Should I be ashamed of myself?

It was just a combination of not going out of my way to badmouth his Prior to his face because I couldn't see what that would possibly gain me, and having enough common sense to hold my tongue at dinner when two dudes who massively outranked me started having a debate that could get my rear end burned at the stake if I said the wrong thing.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just picked this up and I'm already getting 'Papers, Please.' flashbacks trying to find the typos before they self correct. Never played anything like this and first impressions are great.

Might see if I can do a Cromwell run and find people who are guilty, though not necessarily as charged.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

CapnAndy posted:

I... just ended Act 1 in the Abbott's good graces. Should I be ashamed of myself?

What other horrible things did you do? Did not donate your hat? Discouraged Paul? Told Ursula to go to sleep?

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 7, 2022

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

It was just a combination of not going out of my way to badmouth his Prior to his face because I couldn't see what that would possibly gain me, and having enough common sense to hold my tongue at dinner when two dudes who massively outranked me started having a debate that could get my rear end burned at the stake if I said the wrong thing.

The only time I could use my law degree for good it pissed off the Abbot. I'm not sure if anything else changes if you used law to challenge the Abbot's claim for the widow's land.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ilitarist posted:

What other horrible things did you do? Did not donate your hate? Disencouraged Paul? Told Ursula to go to sleep?
That "e" has befuddled me for a good 20 seconds :) .

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I actually tried to work with the Abbott but he is such an unlikeable prick that by the end of every conversation I was insulting him again

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I genuinely accepted his invitation to dinner in Chapter 2 hoping to bury the axe and help out the abbey, and by extension the town, to the best of my abilities, and then the abbot went on to explain the dire financial straits of the abbey while gorging on expensive food, told me that he was raising the tax on the peasants because his embezzler-in-chief told him to, refused to ask the bishop for financial aid because 𝕲𝖔𝖉 forbid he loses face over this, and increased the forest restrictions on the peasants for literally no reason other than "putting them in their place". Eat my whole rear end.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

SexyBlindfold posted:

I genuinely accepted his invitation to dinner in Chapter 2 hoping to bury the axe and help out the abbey, and by extension the town, to the best of my abilities, and then the abbot went on to explain the dire financial straits of the abbey while gorging on expensive food, told me that he was raising the tax on the peasants because his embezzler-in-chief told him to, refused to ask the bishop for financial aid because 𝕲𝖔𝖉 forbid he loses face over this, and increased the forest restrictions on the peasants for literally no reason other than "putting them in their place". Eat my whole rear end.

I can see his rationale for all of this. The mother of the poor sisters in Act 3 mentions that part of the performance of the previous order (I forget what name it is lmao) is the display of both wealth and power. Like this is where the Abbey derives its authority and if it cant maintain both of those it would probably be disbanded. Also asking the Bishop for financial aid isnt really possible because I thought the whole point of the abbey is to like, collect revenues and pass them up so if it isn't able to do that it has no reason to exist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But then he does poo poo like claim he is going to EXCOMMUNICATE anybody he catches foraging in the forest during the Feast Night, which is like the nuclear bomb option of that era. He was the type of person who wildly overreacts in an attempt to stamp down his authority in a position he clearly isn't cut out for. I assume that Ferenc was overlooked for the Abbott because at least some sense of his occult interests was present enough to make him an untenable choice, which meant Gernot got the tap instead and KNEW that he wasn't anybody's first choice.

Anyway, in new things I discovered this playthrough, oh my God Mathieu and Rudeger :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MizuZero posted:

illuminata & andreas’s overdue book fetch quest dialogue was when this game hooked me

Same, that's where I went from "this is a fairly neat little point and click adventure" to "ye olde holy shitballf"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CapnAndy posted:

Finished Act One. This is a hell of a game so far. You have to get an innocent killed, don't you? It's glaringly obvious that none of those three did it.

And I'm pretty sure I know who did -- the doctor. One of the nuns told me of a strange smell moving through the cloister that night that sounded medicinal to me, one of the kids told me about a "ghost" moving through the Roman ruins, and the notes are written in a hand that speaks of a high level of German education, and as the doctor himself was so keen to brag at me, we were the only two people in town with a University education, and he went to a different, fancier school than I did.

So I think I know who did it, or at least who was pulling the strings, but not why or enough of how. I'm coming for that person, though, this time, if I can.

Also, the game is beautiful.

I'm like fifteen minutes past you and while my theory is quite different, yours does seem very plausible. I'll add them to the list.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jerusalem posted:

But then he does poo poo like claim he is going to EXCOMMUNICATE anybody he catches foraging in the forest during the Feast Night, which is like the nuclear bomb option of that era. He was the type of person who wildly overreacts in an attempt to stamp down his authority in a position he clearly isn't cut out for. I assume that Ferenc was overlooked for the Abbott because at least some sense of his occult interests was present enough to make him an untenable choice, which meant Gernot got the tap instead and KNEW that he wasn't anybody's first choice.

Anyway, in new things I discovered this playthrough, oh my God Mathieu and Rudeger :3:

I always saw that as something he'd either not actually go through with, or allow for the peasants to recant so they can receive communion again as part of negotiatiobs. Which yeah, is still a super lovely thing to do but at least the abbot is like, a landlord who is present in the community and has ties to them and is at least nominally willing to negotiate. I was thinking about the woodsman you encounter in Act 3, and how he's basically the force of an absentee landlord who is willing to just straight up kill you for being near a pig grazing in the woods and imo it casts the abbey and abbot in a more favorable light. A guy who you can at least see and negotiate with, and only threatens you spiritually, which while super important and a crisis for the village, is replaced with some guy who doesnt give a poo poo about anyone in the village and uses mortal terror as his cudgel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pentiment: At Least the Abbott is a Landlord

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't have any sympathy for Gernot's position. It's stated that the previous abbot ate simple meals with the rest of the priests and everyone seems to have loved and respected that guy. Gernot indulges in extravagant meals because he's a selfish prick who sees himself as the towns lord instead of an abbot. Bare in mind as well that he shuts down the Scriptorum and sells off the library before he even considers cutting down on his own comfort. Both of which display the abby being in dire straits much more than whether he can eat pheasant or not. And the ban on using sticks for firewood is transparently punitive towards the villagers. You can point this out and he doesn't even try to defend or justify it.

The real scummy part of all of this though is that this is in the context of violent protests erupting around the country and being bloodily put down. Gernot was quite aware of this and was still refusing to compromise, backing the villagers into a corner with the threat that resistance might lead to armed soldiers being called in. Also, apparently if you have the law background you can figure out that he's trying to scam the widow out of her property in Act 1 which is an absolute bastard thing to do and completely unjustifiable.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 7, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Not defending Gernot in the slightest, but I do wonder how much of the high regard the previous Abbot is held in is due to him being dead, and you can kind of mythologize how much better he was now that he's not a living, breathing person doing things that might cause issues.

Not to say it's made up from whole cloth, Gernot certainly seems to have taken much stricter measures than the previous Abbot ever did, but I bet there was plenty of complaining about the old Abbot when he was alive too.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I really loved this. 10/10.

Hopefully we see more games that make good writing such a high priority.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I wasn’t expecting the dance of death mural in act III to change depending on the preceding acts, despite dwelling on the screen for five minutes the first time around. despite the detached perspective of my second playthrough, this part really got me :smith:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jerusalem posted:

Not defending Gernot in the slightest, but I do wonder how much of the high regard the previous Abbot is held in is due to him being dead, and you can kind of mythologize how much better he was now that he's not a living, breathing person doing things that might cause issues.

Not to say it's made up from whole cloth, Gernot certainly seems to have taken much stricter measures than the previous Abbot ever did, but I bet there was plenty of complaining about the old Abbot when he was alive too.

ACT 3 stuff is in this. I'd also say maybe there being huge revolts causing a bunch of economic disruption is part of why he has to try to increase his revenues. I dont really see him selling off the library and closing the scriptorium as proof he's selfish, more that they were useless expenditures and the noble patrons that they depended on to function also arent willing to sponsor them anymore. Tbh I have a lot of sympathy for Gernot for trying to preserve the abbey which characters in the text acknowledge as being an anachronistic medieval holdover basically. In this way his character sort of echoes the priest in that he's trying to preserve an institution that he believes to be incredibly important against the tide of modernization and secularization of authority. And it's not like the guy who replaces the abbey as the manorialist lord is any better.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the new guy pays for pizza parties feast days so he is, in fact, better :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Redoing Act 1 and seeing Claus' happy family life and his delightful young boy was a hell of a thing knowing where things are going.

Also, I had a meal with Frantz for the first time and uhhh :stonklol:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Also, I had a meal with Frantz for the first time and uhhh :stonklol:

I ate with Frantz my first time through act 1. Never again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

One question, re: the first act in the library, does the leg injury Andreas can sustain after sneaking into the library and booking it away come to anything with the kissing brothers if you don’t do that segment at the latest possible point?

If you do investigate the library last, Wojslav notices when he comes to get you but even if you’re straight up with him he’s like “never mind that poo poo, here’s Mongo”. I’d expect that if you do it earlier maybe other people would notice the wound?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Servetus posted:

Frantz: My brother knows how to raise a boy right!

Gee Frantz, maybe take a loving moment to consider the key point of difference between your brother raising his kid and you raising yours and figure out what the root cause of the problem is? :mad:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Servetus posted:

Lost count of how many times I blew that guy off. Is it better or worse than Act 2 dinner* at the Gertners?

*invitation not including dinner

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

Lost count of how many times I blew that guy off. Is it better or worse than Act 2 dinner* at the Gertners?

*invitation not including dinner

It's worse. A fair bit worse. It's not as bad as dining with Lernhardt maybe, but it's still bad.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the conversation itself was inoffensive but in act 2 eating with Hanna's family and thanking her for the meal, being already 95% sure I was gonna accuse her of the murder was, uncomfortable

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This game was fantastic, even though I'm pretty sure I mostly made terrible decisions throughout and got a bunch of people killed unnecessarily!

Now in reading the thread I recognize almost none of the stuff in the spoilers so unfortunately I am going to have to play it through again, possibly more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I looked up when Matins is and, okay, that's super early, but Prime is reasonable in an era when "bedtime" equals "sunset", and I go nuts every time Andreas sleeps through them. WE HAVE A COMICALLY SMALL AMOUNT OF TIME, GET THE gently caress OUT OF BED, ARTIST.

eonwe posted:

I actually tried to work with the Abbott but he is such an unlikeable prick that by the end of every conversation I was insulting him again
I honestly don't get it, all you have to do to keep in good graces with the Abbott is bite your goddamn tongue and not pick pointless fights that can only hurt your cause.

He's goddamn awful, sure, but I'm playing Andreas as a guy with basic sense. The Abbott outranks you -- by a major degree in Act I -- and this is a time when the social heirarchy was very real, very enforced, and had very sharp teeth. You don't mouth off to your betters, not in 15th century Europe. And I'm always in the position of wanting something from him. Calling him an rear end to his face isn't going to get me towards my goals, so I just let him mouth off and then try to do end-arounds whenever possible. Yes sir, no sir, that's a very understandable position you have there sir, now that I've established what a reasonable person I am, maybe I can nudge your thinking a bit. So far it hasn't worked, of course, but it was still worth the trying, I really do think.