Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cicero posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuck

Even the most smooth brained basic rear end engineer in the world should've known this is a terrible goddamn idea, Jesus Christ.

The creator was like 19 when they made it 2-3 years ago and I don’t know if they studied any kind of engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OAquinas posted:

In a sense, he is right about the nature of likes--a lot of time I'll think something is horrible but I like the tweet because its exposing something horrible or going in depth about it. "I like this" doesn't really cover that.

Blind squirrel finding a nut.

Facebook already went through that and their solution was the half-dozen react emotes in addition to the like button (but none of them actually mean "I don't like this but it's worth reading"). It's a vaguely interesting problem but no one except people whose livelihoods depend on engagement metrics thinks it's important

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hive on paper sounded OK but clearly it’s just a shitshow

At this point it makes more sense to wait and see where the majority of people go and not rush, or you end up getting compromised

Hive sounded OK but it's very clear that the people behind it do not know what they're doing and are totally unprepared for popularity/scaling

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cicero posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuck

Even the most smooth brained basic rear end engineer in the world should've known this is a terrible goddamn idea, Jesus Christ.

Amazon just spent loads of money on an MMO with a persistent territory and PvP system at its core and then made basically everything client side. You can probably imagine how it went when people figured this out lol.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can someone just make a clone of Twitter without the Nazis and security holes?
Apparently not.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Apparently not.

They should just use a big mailing list or Usenet or something like that. It’s a solved problem.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Apparently not.

Sorry best we can do is "twitter clone with more Nazis"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

Facebook already went through that and their solution was the half-dozen react emotes in addition to the like button (but none of them actually mean "I don't like this but it's worth reading"). It's a vaguely interesting problem but no one except people whose livelihoods depend on engagement metrics thinks it's important.

Supposedly, the FB emotes are secretly weighted, with Thumbs Up and Rage emotes being given more weight than the Concern/Hug and Sad emotes. I've seen people complain about FB engagement obviously having really vital messages like potential self-harm or GoFundMe charity posts getting hidden in timelines because of all the Concern and Sad emotes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So...

A lot happened last night.

Basically, Kanye followed up his appearance on Infowars by posting "his" logo for his 2024 presidential run, which was the Raelian swastika and Star Of David hybrid. Apparently, Musk DMed him, to which Kanye posted the DMs, which have the same tone as Grimes trying to talk down his transphobia a few years ago. The posts got taken down in violation, to which Ye tweeted about leaving Twitter and added a parting shot of an unflattering photo of Musk in his swimming trunks. Some time during the night, Musk permanently suspended Kanye, which wasn't lost on no one since Ye's return to Twitter was heavily publicized.

In addition, Parler pulled out of their deal to sell the company to Ye, apparently the antisemitism was too great for them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Young Freud posted:

So...

A lot happened last night.

Basically, Kanye followed up his appearance on Infowars by posting "his" logo for his 2024 presidential run, which was the Raelian swastika and Star Of David hybrid. Apparently, Musk DMed him, to which Kanye posted the DMs, which have the same tone as Grimes trying to talk down his transphobia a few years ago. The posts got taken down in violation, to which Ye tweeted about leaving Twitter and added a parting shot of an unflattering photo of Musk in his swimming trunks. Some time during the night, Musk permanently suspended Kanye, which wasn't lost on no one since Ye's return to Twitter was heavily publicized.

In addition, Parler pulled out of their deal to sell the company to Ye, apparently the antisemitism was too great for them.

parler pulled out because ye has no money, they just chose to announce it yesterday to try and imply it was because of the hitler thing

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

parler pulled out because ye has no money, they just chose to announce it yesterday to try and imply it was because of the hitler thing

That's hilarious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

Yeah in their statement they mentioned that the sale fell through in November but the timing of this announcement was deliberate

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Kanye. Elon....? Trump.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Kanye. Elon....? Trump.

House GOP Judiciary account deleted that tweet yesterday.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Young Freud posted:

House GOP Judiciary account deleted that tweet yesterday.

I mean :thejoke:, yes

Eventually it will be Kanye. Elon. Trump. Like it always was.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1598440842548723712?s=20&t=Wfaf3472ze02ccv1nIVJAQ

EDIT: :haw:

https://twitter.com/Yungen_Leem/status/1598442826890874881?s=20&t=Wfaf3472ze02ccv1nIVJAQ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Musk's quest to turn Twitter into a Dickensian sweatshop continues

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1598766600685228032

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

haveblue posted:

Even funnier if you think that, before all this, Twitter had an unlimited PTO policy.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Musk’s approach is basically “work harder, not smarter”.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going from another SA thread, unlimited PTO is great on paper but not in practice, like apparently there's a social pressure for everyone to use as least as much.

its better just to have a "normal" bucket of X hours, Y hours to use during the year, and Z for rollover.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if your goal is to get people to take healthy amounts of time off, use a finite pool that expires. If your goal is to pretend you want that but minimize time off taken, say it’s infinite but let everyone think anyone who takes it is lazy. If you want to be a cartoon tyrant bad guy and destroy your ability to attract new talent, eliminate it entirely

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The Illusive Man posted:

Musk’s approach is basically “work harder, not smarter”.

Musk's approach is to assume he's brilliant in all things and can make things happen just by being Iron Boss Man who Gets The Lead Out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The tech bro mindset is that computers are literal magic, and all of Twitter's problems is that the lazy worthless workers refuse to cast the spells properly to make the problems disappear.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

haveblue posted:

lmao are you loving kidding me? Even the warehouse I work at gives four weeks starting PTO and it will almost always be approved except for about three weeks during holiday shopping season.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

Yeah, if your goal is to get people to take healthy amounts of time off, use a finite pool that expires. If your goal is to pretend you want that but minimize time off taken, say it’s infinite but let everyone think anyone who takes it is lazy. If you want to be a cartoon tyrant bad guy and destroy your ability to attract new talent, eliminate it entirely

Hard disagree with the first bit. My org has fully embraced remote work, unlimited pto, and no set hours. It took about a year to realize they really really meant it, but it's way better than the finite but liberal PTO I had before.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bel Shazar posted:

Hard disagree with the first bit. My org has fully embraced remote work, unlimited pto, and no set hours. It took about a year to realize they really really meant it, but it's way better than the finite but liberal PTO I had before.
Yeah same. But to be honest the best thing about it is that if you need a day off for an emergency you'll never run into a "if I take this day off I won't be able to travel home for the holidays". Hardly on topic, aside from the fact that moving from that to "get back to the Twit mines" has to be really discouraging.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bel Shazar posted:

Here's why it's not: because when you quit you get zero accrued days paid out.

This is the primary reason for moving to unlimited PTO, incidentally.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 3, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Here's why it's not: because when you quit you get zero accrued days paid out.

This is the primary reason for moving to unlimited PTO, incidentally.

Totally get that in general, sure, but that's because companies are often run to abuse their workers. Total compensation still rocks, so trying to account for accrued pto or medical benefits or whatever isn't as relevant.

I'm sure it's the rate exception in the grand scheme of things, but having worked in many other types of environments this situation is just better.

E: my only point is that unlimited pto isn't intrinsically a scam

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I've worked at a factory that went corporate and implemented a 7(or 9?) point day-of callout discipline system. Something like every 3 points was a write up, 3 write ups or 7(9?) points was termination. Punching in late applied somehow as well.. Only exception was a doctors note, but that meant you missed a day of pay AND dropped 100 bucks on a visit you might not need. Don't need a doctor to confirm you're too sick to work.

It was lovely and awful for morale. During the transition meetings, our company stooge even hyped it up. Like "now I know it's upsetting to accrue points because of car troubles or unforseen events beyond your control, but as long as you do your best to have good attendance all year statistically you should be fine!". Bet that guy looked over his shoulder walking to his car that day.

I have a good thing going with my current job. 1 week paid vacation, if I call out I neither get paid nor penalized. Of course my job is making rich peoples flowers and trees look nice, so it's not like I'm doing anything important.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bel Shazar posted:

E: my only point is that unlimited pto isn't intrinsically a scam

Not intrinsically, but if there's no clear written guidance on how much time off is OK it emerges organically from your company culture. In my experience it settles on a lowball number because nobody wants to be the guy who takes the most time off

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Not intrinsically, but if there's no clear written guidance on how much time off is OK it emerges organically from your company culture. In my experience it settles on a lowball number because nobody wants to be the guy who takes the most time off

cowards

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The tech bro mindset is that computers are literal magic, and all of Twitter's problems is that the lazy worthless workers refuse to cast the spells properly to make the problems disappear.
He’s literally a cartoon tech bro villain at this point.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Musk is more like Flintheart Glomgold. He’s South African, his fortune is rooted in gem mines, he’s horribly insecure despite his "success," and nobody actually loves him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Musk is more like Flintheart Glomgold. He’s South African, his fortune is rooted in gem mines, he’s horribly insecure despite his "success," and nobody actually loves him.

ALSO HE'S REALLY loving STUPID LIKE GLOMGOLD IS! :byodood:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mark Beaks is explicitly a riff on techbros designed to be unsympathetic and obnoxious and somehow still comes off as less of a weirdo than Zuckerberg. (and they were originally considering calling him Duckerberg) He's also implicitly a product of generational privilege.

And then there's the whole introductory episode where he becomes a billionaire by creating absurd hype about a vaguely described new product causing investors to pour their money in, and then of course it turns out there is no actual product- and he hired a corporate saboteur to break in and steal the nonexistent product as an alibi while pocketing the money. I think that's literally just a rugpull with some extra steps.

...and the next early episode even has him try to push an unsafe and unfinished self-driving car to market, based on (accidentally) publicly available technology at that. And later on in the show his reputation has collapsed because the sheen wore off and he doesn't actually have anything new or good to offer.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 4, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I sure as gently caress did not subscribe to Tesla US on YouTube, but somehow I was greeted with a live feed in my subscription feed just now and had to unsubscribe. Has this happened to anyone else?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mark Beaks is explicitly a riff on techbros designed to be unsympathetic and obnoxious and somehow still comes off as less of a weirdo than Zuckerberg. (and they were originally considering calling him Duckerberg) He's also implicitly a product of generational privilege.

And then there's the whole introductory episode where he becomes a billionaire by creating absurd hype about a vaguely described new product causing investors to pour their money in, and then of course it turns out there is no actual product- and he hired a corporate saboteur to break in and steal the nonexistent product as an alibi while pocketing the money. I think that's literally just a rugpull with some extra steps.

...and the next early episode even has him try to push an unsafe and unfinished self-driving car to market, based on (accidentally) publicly available technology at that. And later on in the show his reputation has collapsed because the sheen wore off and he doesn't actually have anything new or good to offer.

Plus Beaks refusing to do something on his own and just stealing other peoples ideas. A podcast sidestory for the series had him set up a call in service for inventors wanting to share their ideas so he can steal them and claim them as his own.

Elon sounds exactly like him in many ways.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus Beaks refusing to do something on his own and just stealing other peoples ideas. A podcast sidestory for the series had him set up a call in service for inventors wanting to share their ideas so he can steal them and claim them as his own.

Elon sounds exactly like him in many ways.

And just like Elon, Beaks also had a strangely-named robot son who was the product of mostly someone else's handiwork who he just stopped giving a poo poo about and abandoned completely after its purpose was served. The only place the analogy breaks down is that B.O.Y.D. turned out to be a normal person after being raised by his actual parent, meanwhile X Æ A-12's hosed either way because his mother is Grimes :stare:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 4, 2022

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I sure as gently caress did not subscribe to Tesla US on YouTube, but somehow I was greeted with a live feed in my subscription feed just now and had to unsubscribe. Has this happened to anyone else?

Some accounts have been getting hacked and replaced with that name/content. A few weeks ago some Total War: Warhammer 3 YouTuber had that happen; I was also "wtf?" and unsubscribed before finding out what happened.

Edit: Basically some rear end in a top hat is running a well designed spear phishing op targeting accounts. Also some people don't check file extensions on downloads lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Z1YLyhKBs

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 5, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

And just like Elon, Beaks also had a strangely-named robot son who was the product of mostly someone else's handiwork who he just stopped giving a poo poo about and abandoned completely after its purpose was served. The only place the analogy breaks down is that B.O.Y.D. turned out to be a normal person after being raised by his actual parent, meanwhile X Æ A-12's hosed either way because his mother is Grimes :stare:

Lol if Chelsea Manning ends up the positive influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Bari Weiss got Twitter's Deputy General Counsel fired, because she told Elon that she thought he was obstructing the process of handing all of Twitter's internal emails and documents over to her and Matt Taibbi so that they could hunt for evidence that Twitter's previous management was conspiring with the libs.

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1600243756074049537
https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1600244722819543040
https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1600246202619944961

If there's one thing we can say about Elon's stewardship of Twitter, it's that the garbage fire has mostly been pretty funny. Firing a lawyer for thinking this process needs any kind of oversight at all isn't going to wreck Twitter worse than everything he's already done, but it still belongs solidly in the Bad Ideas column.