Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What was the deal Judge turned down at the start of the season

7/213.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I loving love this spicy Judge content.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

"only turned up at Yankees games and marquee events like the postseason or games using balls with commemorative stamps"

lol they were literally giving only Judge juiced balls the last few weeks of the season every PA.
the other obvious commemorative balls were for Pujols

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What was the deal Judge turned down at the start of the season

I think it was 7/215

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Cubs fans better be nice to my beautiful boy

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

the other obvious commemorative balls were for Pujols

I'm ok with that lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

I'm ok with that lol

Yeah better than juicing lol

So, if they are throwing specific balls to specific batters, who all has to be complicit in that? What's the custody chain of a baseball from humidor to a pitcher's hand? Does the ump know?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boras introduced Jim Crane to the Wallet Inspector

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So the impression I’m now getting is “The Giants think they got this”. They and or Judge seem to have been putting out the huge offer number and the “I told my girlfriend I’d marry her and move to San Fran” story and all the fans and people in the Giants making noise. Heyman bit on it. The question is whether Judge is laying out some pregame for an announcement of his deal or if he’s using the media to pressure NY into upping their deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

So the impression I’m now getting is “The Giants think they got this”. They and or Judge seem to have been putting out the huge offer number and the “I told my girlfriend I’d marry her and move to San Fran” story and all the fans and people in the Giants making noise. Heyman bit on it. The question is whether Judge is laying out some pregame for an announcement of his deal or if he’s using the media to pressure NY into upping their deal.
I think there has to be some element of the latter going on here

There's no way to know if NY has given a final offer now or what.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1600274878065561602

lmao why the gently caress would we want Dom Smith? Why would anybody want Dom Smith? I don't care that he got drafted in the first round and scouts thought they had him pegged as a future superstar: he sucks and can't stay healthy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

So, if they are throwing specific balls to specific batters, who all has to be complicit in that? What's the custody chain of a baseball from humidor to a pitcher's hand? Does the ump know?
no it’s specific balls in specific games. So like every ball in a game with Judge or Pujols has special watermarking or whatever to allow for validation of legitimacy when someone says “this is the 700th HR ball” and that set of watermarked balls are less dead than the rest of balls used this year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1600274878065561602

lmao why the gently caress would we want Dom Smith? Why would anybody want Dom Smith? I don't care that he got drafted in the first round and scouts thought they had him pegged as a future superstar: he sucks and can't stay healthy.

Cubs doing all the reclamation projects.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Independent physicist tests hundreds of baseballs and produces detailed report on their variation, with devastating conclusions.

MLB: “no you’re wrong, our scientists say the balls are perfect and no we aren’t gonna share that data with you”

https://twitter.com/bizballmaury/status/1600280111542304768?s=46&t=3Wbu873-6Mt8-wTIChDMMA

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think there has to be some element of the latter going on here

There's no way to know if NY has given a final offer now or what.

Yeah. It feels like we’re at “They offered me 9/360 and I’m happy to take it. So are you willing to beat that?” Whether or not they are who knows?

Although I’d assume if the Yankees aren’t willing to top that they’d be doing damage control right now instead of stringing out hope. But there’s no way to know how competent everyone else.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

no it’s specific balls in specific games. So like every ball in a game with Judge or Pujols has special watermarking or whatever to allow for validation of legitimacy when someone says “this is the 700th HR ball” and that set of watermarked balls are less dead than the rest of balls used this year

I think the article says something different. There are specific balls in specific games for validation purposes, but the study did not distinguish between individual commemorative balls and other balls used in a single game. So the only conclusion that can be drawn is that everyone in a Yankees game in Aug/Sep/Oct had the opportunity to hit the "goldilocks ball" so McMagic is right that there isn't a real benefit to the Yankees.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

I think the article says something different. There are specific balls in specific games for validation purposes, but the study did not distinguish between individual commemorative balls and other balls used in a single game. So the only conclusion that can be drawn is that everyone in a Yankees game in Aug/Sep/Oct had the opportunity to hit the "goldilocks ball" so McMagic is right that there isn't a real benefit to the Yankees.
….yeah that’s what I said

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the Yankees did balls

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

And now loop in the huge push for sports gambling constantly being advertised.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The other thing re Judge and todays madness is back in April when they were negotiating an extension Judge was super quiet and only said he wanted it to stay private. And then the Yankees leaked their offer to him and he expressed his disappointment. So Judge leaking the San Fran offer as a negotiation tactic and putting the fear of god in the Yankees would be fitting poetry.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol why is there any reason to think bellinger will ever hit again, I mean I'm not mad but they are paying 2 heywards

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

bawfuls posted:

Independent physicist tests hundreds of baseballs and produces detailed report on their variation, with devastating conclusions.

MLB: “no you’re wrong, our scientists say the balls are perfect and no we aren’t gonna share that data with you”

Frankly I'm happy they were so shocked by those liars that they immediately responded. Makes me feel good about cheering for legitimate Based Ball.

pizzaclown
Oct 17, 2012
“That is a normal baseball. Move on, find a new slant.”

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only thing I’ll say on this ball thing is ASTROphysics? Hmm. How convenient.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Lol why is there any reason to think bellinger will ever hit again, I mean I'm not mad but they are paying 2 heywards
The Dodgers with their basically infinite resources and great player dev people couldn't fix whatever's wrong with him, why would any other team think they can do better?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
edit: nvm

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bellinger's swing has been busted the last couple years. It's all upper body and he can't catch up to fastballs. Could have been injury-related, though. https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/10/20/the-downfall-and-possible-resurrection-of-cody-bellinger

But fun fact, he's working with Matt Holiday this offseason, who supposedly fixed Matt Carpenter last year... https://redbirdrants.com/2022/12/02/cardinals-cody-bellinger-hitting-with-matt-holliday/

I wanted the Giants to sign him tbh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/1600286563102904320

Five years of watching Contreras on the Cardinals :shepicide:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popete posted:

And now loop in the huge push for sports gambling constantly being advertised.

Remember Pete Alonso talking about how MLB was swapping balls around to manipulate FA classes...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That's what, a little over 30 mil AAV? That seemed more than fair at the time

Can't believe Judge put in an all-time season in his walk year and will shatter 7/213

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

GoutPatrol posted:

Dinger NoNo is new from Tastycake

Dinger NoNo was the name of my high school ska band

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I think it's real

https://twitter.com/GrantBrisbee/status/1600288190774247424

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Sab0921 posted:

As a Yankees fan, I’d actually argue that the goldilocks ball hurt the team as a whole because the pitching staff looked like one of the best in the majors in the beginning of the season when they had the dead ball and then they started using the new ball and it almost perfectly coincides with them crashing back to earth.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants get their man. :cool:

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1600301856877838337

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
gently caress, man. I was preparing to lose Mitch but it still sucks seeing it happen. This OF has two very good players and then absolute trash for LF, Dipoto has to realize he needs to do something.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Have to assume at this point the Angels are begging Correra to take another 1 year deal (with additional player options) so he can chase a ring with Ohtani.

Angels should re-sign Lorenzen to a short deal and stand pat on bats imo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pirates get the #1 pick

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Bellinger's swing has been busted the last couple years. It's all upper body and he can't catch up to fastballs. Could have been injury-related, though. https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/10/20/the-downfall-and-possible-resurrection-of-cody-bellinger

But fun fact, he's working with Matt Holiday this offseason, who supposedly fixed Matt Carpenter last year... https://redbirdrants.com/2022/12/02/cardinals-cody-bellinger-hitting-with-matt-holliday/

I wanted the Giants to sign him tbh

Huh that's quite interesting.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Gorman Thomas posted:

Have to assume at this point the Angels are begging Correra to take another 1 year deal (with additional player options) so he can chase a ring with Ohtani.

Angels should re-sign Lorenzen to a short deal and stand pat on bats imo.

I don't understand this post with respect to "chasing a ring" and "Angels"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Pirates get the #1 pick

Who are they taking? Conner Bedard or Victor Wembanyama?