Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

See this is why I have spiders in my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rackspace have admitted it’s ransomware

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Anno posted:

I assume this means TikTok, Reel, YouTube shorts etc. Truly cursed.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1600206730499133456

15 Ways The Tech and Social Media Economy Will Take Away Your Medical Coverage

Take The Quiz!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jaxyon posted:

Take The Quiz!

drat, I got Classify You As An Independent Contractor, I was hoping for Forbid You From Reporting Work In Excess Of Twenty-Nine Hours Per Week.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anno posted:

I assume this means TikTok, Reel, YouTube shorts etc. Truly cursed.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1600206730499133456

"Well, when we last pivoted to video it was stupid, but that was HORIZONTAL video. This is VERTICAL video. This is different because"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
All they need to do to pivot to vertical is turn the thing and change the autorotate settings. :eng101:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's not like Buzzfeed releases super long videos anyway. Wouldn't take much effort to pivot.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought Buzzfeed pioneered ADHD video. I guess they didn't pioneer ADHD^2 video.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Take The Quiz!

Here, let me generate that for you...

GPT3 posted:

1. Which of the following is a common way that tech companies and their allies in government try to take away your medical coverage?
a. Lobbying for legislation that undermines the Affordable Care Act
b. Underfunding government programs that provide medical coverage
c. Denying coverage to individuals with pre-existing conditions
d. All of the above

2. How do tech companies often try to influence the healthcare debate in their favor?
a. By hiring former government officials and industry insiders as lobbyists
b. By investing in political campaigns and supporting candidates who share their views
c. By funding think tanks and other organizations that promote their agenda
d. All of the above

3. What is one way that tech companies try to limit the availability of affordable medical care?
a. By using their immense wealth and power to push for policies that benefit their bottom line, even if it means depriving others of access to care
b. By promoting a "gig economy" that makes it difficult for workers to obtain employer-provided medical coverage
c. By providing subpar health insurance plans to their own employees, forcing them to rely on public programs or go without care
d. All of the above

4. How do tech companies and their allies in government try to undermine the Affordable Care Act?
a. By pushing for the repeal of the law or its key provisions
b. By supporting lawsuits that challenge the constitutionality of the law
c. By refusing to comply with the law's requirements, such as the mandate to provide insurance to employees
d. All of the above

5. What is one way that the rise of the gig economy has made it harder for workers to obtain medical coverage?
a. By forcing workers to accept low-paying jobs without benefits
b. By making it difficult for workers to predict their income from one month to the next, making it hard to afford insurance premiums
c. By giving employers an incentive to classify workers as independent contractors rather than employees, exempting them from having to provide benefits
d. All of the above

6. How do tech companies and their allies in government try to shift the cost of medical care onto individuals and families?
a. By pushing for the privatization of Medicare and other government programs
b. By supporting policies that allow insurance companies to charge higher premiums based on a person's medical history
c. By promoting high-deductible health plans that require individuals to pay more out of pocket before insurance kicks in
d. All of the above

7. What is one way that tech companies use their dominance in the market to limit competition and drive up prices for medical care?
a. By buying up smaller competitors and reducing choice in the marketplace
b. By using their power to dictate terms to suppliers, such as hospitals and pharmaceutical companies
c. By using their vast wealth to outspend competitors on advertising and lobbying efforts
d. All of the above

8. How do tech companies and their allies in government try to limit access to information about medical care and treatment options?
a. By lobbying for legislation that restricts the ability of patients to access their own medical records
b. By supporting policies that make it harder for patients to compare prices and quality of care among providers
c. By opposing efforts to make medical research and clinical trial data more transparent
d. All of the above

9. What is one way that the rise of electronic health records and other digital technologies has made it harder for patients to get the care they need?
a. By creating new security and privacy risks for sensitive medical information
b. By making it more difficult for patients to understand and manage their own health care
c. By giving providers less time to spend with individual patients, leading to less personalized and effective care
d. All of the above

10. How do tech companies and their allies in government try to limit the role of the government in providing medical care?
a. By pushing for the privatization of Medicare and other government programs
b. By supporting policies that restrict the ability of the government to regulate the health care industry
c. By promoting the idea that the free market is better equipped to provide medical care than the government
d. All of the above

11. What is one way that the rise of telemedicine and other remote health care services has made it harder for patients to get the care they need?
a. By making it more difficult for patients to build relationships with their providers
b. By limiting the types of services that can be provided remotely, such as specialized care or emergency services
c. By creating new barriers to access for patients who lack the technology or internet connectivity to use telemedicine services
d. All of the above

12. How do tech companies and their allies in government try to undermine the Affordable Care Act's protections for people with pre-existing conditions?
a. By supporting legislation that would allow insurers to discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions
b. By promoting alternative health care proposals that do not include these protections
c. By refusing to comply with the law's requirement to provide insurance to employees with pre-existing conditions
d. All of the above

13. What is one way that the rise of "wearable" health technology has made it harder for patients to get the care they need?
a. By providing patients with a false sense of security, leading them to neglect other aspects of their health care
b. By creating new privacy concerns as companies collect and use data from these devices
c. By generating vast amounts of data that can be difficult for patients and providers to interpret and act upon
d. All of the above

14. How do tech companies and their allies in government try to undermine efforts to control the rising cost of medical care?
a. By pushing for the repeal of the Affordable Care Act's cost-saving measures, such as the Cadillac tax
b. By supporting policies that limit the ability of the government to negotiate lower drug prices
c. By promoting the idea that the free market will naturally drive down health care costs, despite evidence to the contrary
d. All of the above

15. What is one way that the rise of digital health care has made it harder for patients to get the care they need?
a. By creating new barriers to access, such as the need for internet connectivity or digital literacy
b. By making it harder for patients to navigate the complex and rapidly changing health care landscape
c. By giving providers less time to spend with individual patients, leading to less personalized and effective care
d. All of the above

And the answers?

quote:

D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)
D (All of the above)

quote:

Even if you didn't get every question right, you've shown that you're aware of the underhanded practices used by tech companies and their allies in government to take away your medical coverage. From lobbying for legislation that undermines the Affordable Care Act, to promoting a gig economy that makes it harder for workers to obtain medical coverage, to using their dominance in the market to drive up prices for care, these companies and policymakers are constantly working to undermine our access to affordable, quality medical care. It's up to all of us to stay informed and fight back against these efforts to limit our health care options and shift the burden of medical expenses onto individuals and families.

If you want to take action against the underhanded practices used by tech companies and their allies in government to take away medical coverage, there are several steps you can take. You can:

1. Stay informed and educate yourself about the issues surrounding medical coverage and health care. This could include reading news articles and other information sources, joining online communities or forums to discuss the issue, and following relevant organizations and advocacy groups on social media.

2. Contact your elected representatives and let them know how you feel about the issue. This could include writing letters, making phone calls, or attending town hall meetings and other events where representatives are available to talk to constituents.

3. Support organizations and advocacy groups that are working to protect access to affordable, quality medical care. This could include donating money, volunteering time, or sharing information about these groups with others.

4. Take personal steps to protect your own health and medical coverage, such as purchasing health insurance, staying up to date with preventive care and screenings, and understanding your rights as a patient.

By taking these steps, you can play a part in fighting back against the efforts of tech companies and their allies to take away medical coverage.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 7, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

All they need to do to pivot to vertical is turn the thing and change the autorotate settings. :eng101:

Apparently the problem is that monetization sucks on vertical video platforms. Horizontal video will show ads and give the video maker a share of ad revenue, but Youtube shorts don't show ads (and don't pay out anything to the creator) and Tiktok just has a set pool of money that's split across monetized creators according to some secret arcane formula.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

cat botherer posted:

Are people like leaving their keys in the car a lot or something? New cars are pretty hard to hotwire.

Back in 2017 when I bought my car from Toyota, the car didn't come with a remote start feature, so I asked the dealer if they recommended any third-party solutions for that. They said yes it's not uncommon for people to do it with a third party device, but it requires that you leave one your Toyota FOBs inside the car (the ECU won't allow the engine to start unless it detects a FOB within X meters). It took me a minute to realize he was offering this as a serious solution.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My car has remote start but to actually move the car requires a key inserted into the ignition and turning on the remote start also locks the doors and disables remote unlocking meaning you have to open the doors manually with the physical key.

ITS FANTASTIC for warming the thing up in winter

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Kwyndig posted:

It's not like Buzzfeed releases super long videos anyway. Wouldn't take much effort to pivot.
A literal pivot in this case.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AtomikKrab posted:

My car has remote start but to actually move the car requires a key inserted into the ignition and turning on the remote start also locks the doors and disables remote unlocking meaning you have to open the doors manually with the physical key.

ITS FANTASTIC for warming the thing up in winter

I've had occasions where I had to chisel my way into the car to turn it on to start melting ice. Several times my neighbors would look out the window, see me, figure out what I was doing, then turn their cars on with the clicker.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know where to post this but what's a good inexpensive motion detector camera that will only record/turn on when it senses movement? Sorry not a tech nightmare but I figured someone in this thread would know and I'm confused with all the different options. Trying to figure out what type of animal is getting into my back porch and how they get in. TIA.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Re: car thefts. Kia and Hyundai, two major US auto manufacturers, have a problem with the last few years’ worth of cars that specifically don’t include a key-less, push button ignition. If you have a Kia or a Hyundai from the last 5 years or so and it requires a key to turn in the ignition to start, then it has an exploit that lets someone boost your car in under a minute. I live in a metro city in Ohio and we’ve had cars stolen right out of our parking lot, middle of the day, in front of security. It can happen fast if the crook knows what they’re doing. I know my city is suing Kia, for all the good that’ll do.

My wife drives a newer Kia than my Hyundai, but I have the push-button ignition. A few months ago I went to my car and discovered that someone had shattered her passenger window and tore apart the steering column. Not sure if they gave up when they noticed the two car seats in the back or if they couldn’t get it to turn over correctly, but they didn’t drive off or do any more damage. Took about two months to repair since there are so many of the same incident that all the parts are on back order. The repair shop we used had to stop accepting those jobs from the insurance company because they were inundated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziFGU_NOZ9w

I bought my wife a Club (the metal claw thing in the video, designed to physically prevent the steering wheel from moving and this deter theft) the day before we got the car back and it has sat unopened in our house since. It’s a real battle between “I don’t want to deal with a car repairs again” and “I don’t want to gently caress with this metal bar every time I get out of my car”

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 7, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Back in 2017 when I bought my car from Toyota, the car didn't come with a remote start feature, so I asked the dealer if they recommended any third-party solutions for that. They said yes it's not uncommon for people to do it with a third party device, but it requires that you leave one your Toyota FOBs inside the car (the ECU won't allow the engine to start unless it detects a FOB within X meters). It took me a minute to realize he was offering this as a serious solution.

This has been a thing since before FOBs. To "defeat" the key recognition systems you used to have to "pair" a new (typically blank) key and put it i a little box with an extended antenna wire hidden under the dash, effectively defeating that theft protection so anyone with a slide hammer and a screwdriver could just break your ignition cylinder out and start the car like it's 1982.

Remote starters are not good for your car's security nor are they good for you car. Start it and drive it. Modern cars warm up plenty fast when you do this. They do not warm up at idle. And it's not great for the environment to sit at idle for 30 minutes to save the future occupants from 2 minutes of too-hot or too-cold discomfort.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know where to post this but what's a good inexpensive motion detector camera that will only record/turn on when it senses movement? Sorry not a tech nightmare but I figured someone in this thread would know and I'm confused with all the different options. Trying to figure out what type of animal is getting into my back porch and how they get in. TIA.

Efuy is apparently not the option, I can tell ya that.

Serious answer: I've had OK success with Wyze, but I haven't like, done any DPI or analysis to make sure it's not calling home when I didn't want it to, and I don't have the camera anymore.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

For this, if you want simple and easy then a trail camera is the right solution.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I underestimated the speed at which he'd end up torching everything:

https://twitter.com/faizsays/status/1600304359786483713
https://twitter.com/faizsays/status/1600307925649539072

That's... not great for revenue prospects.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BiggerBoat posted:

I recently got an ieGeek 2K camera (terrible name, but it seems to work just fine) because someone had got into my car twice in as many weeks. Can be set for plain motion detection or human detection. The "up to 150 days battery life" puts a lot of work on the "up to" part, mind - I got maybe a month and a half on a not especially busy shared driveway. (I did set it to use a spotlight as a deterrent rather than just IR recording, though.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Paracaidas posted:

I underestimated the speed at which he'd end up torching everything:

https://twitter.com/faizsays/status/1600304359786483713
https://twitter.com/faizsays/status/1600307925649539072

That's... not great for revenue prospects.

"They only need a billion dollars a year just for the interest payments alone, they'll figure something out." :v:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Motronic posted:

This has been a thing since before FOBs. To "defeat" the key recognition systems you used to have to "pair" a new (typically blank) key and put it i a little box with an extended antenna wire hidden under the dash, effectively defeating that theft protection so anyone with a slide hammer and a screwdriver could just break your ignition cylinder out and start the car like it's 1982.

Remote starters are not good for your car's security nor are they good for you car. Start it and drive it. Modern cars warm up plenty fast when you do this. They do not warm up at idle. And it's not great for the environment to sit at idle for 30 minutes to save the future occupants from 2 minutes of too-hot or too-cold discomfort.

What’s the solution for defrosting the windshield (not ice, that’s what the scraper is for), or do I just drive blind for a few minutes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zachack posted:

What’s the solution for defrosting the windshield (not ice, that’s what the scraper is for), or do I just drive blind for a few minutes?

Put something on it. Like a sheet of cardboard. Yes, on the outside. I spent years on call for the fire department doing exactly this with no problem.

But you're saying not ice? So do you mean fog on your windshield? Because you have windshield wipers on the outside to take care of that and a rag/towel will wipe it off the inside. You can also treat the inside (and outside) to reduce this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

Put something on it. Like a sheet of cardboard. Yes, on the outside. I spent years on call for the fire department doing exactly this with no problem.

But you're saying not ice? So do you mean fog on your windshield? Because you have windshield wipers on the outside to take care of that and a rag/towel will wipe it off the inside. You can also treat the inside (and outside) to reduce this.

a sheet of cardboard will not prevent frost from forming on a windshield

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evilweasel posted:

a sheet of cardboard will not prevent frost from forming on a windshield

It does the bulk of the job, is fast to remove, and winter windshield wiper fluid and wipers does the rest.

These are not advanced concepts. Are those of you who are confused people who have never lived where it snows? Are you the kind of people I see in ditches on bald summer or all terrain tires in your 4 wheel drive SUV while people zip past you without no problems in their front wheel drive honda civic with a set of snow tires on it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

It does the bulk of the job, is fast to remove, and winter windshield wiper fluid and wipers does the rest.

These are not advanced concepts. Are those of you who are confused people who have never lived where it snows? Are you the kind of people I see in ditches on bald summer or all terrain tires in your 4 wheel drive SUV while people zip past you without no problems in their front wheel drive honda civic with a set of snow tires on it?

I grew up in Boston. The idea you're getting your car safe to drive without defrosting the windshield is insanity. You need to scrape it and defrost.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evilweasel posted:

I grew up in Boston. The idea you're getting your car safe to drive without defrosting the windshield is insanity. You need to scrape it and defrost.

So you're the second kind of driver, got it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My car is a 2004 model and has a defroster button that works in about 2 minutes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

So you're the second kind of driver, got it.

i am extremely concerned about your cold-weather driving ability considering that you think frost on a windshield is linked to the kind of tires you have on your car or if it's an suv vs. a sedan

frost gets under cardboard; an obstructed windshield is a safety hazard even if you can scrape a thin area to see through that gives you no situational awareness because your degrees of vision are, like, five

you scrape the snow and ice off the windshield. you warm up the windshield until the frost is loosened and you can finish scraping it and have full vision (note, if you have ice, you're going to have done your best but you probably can't scrape it all off and that needs to be loosened as well). then, of course, you also get any snow off the top of the car so you don't risk that all sliding forward and covering your windshield either

i don't know that you need to start the car remotely, of course, since in my boston days such a thing didn't exist except in the sense of little evilweasel being ordered to be the remote car starter for my parents, but it's just basic safety in driving in winter weather

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zachack posted:

The first solution is to keep it clean from the inside so it doesn't fog up as much. Never wipe it with your hand or glove, that just makes it dirtier.

Also keep your car interior clean and dry, always shake snow off your clothes and shoes when you get in. When the engine is still cold and doesn't blow hot air you can open windows so your breath doesn't fog the interior.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evilweasel posted:

i don't know that you need to start the car remotely, of course, since in my boston days such a thing didn't exist except in the sense of little evilweasel being ordered to be the remote car starter for my parents, but it's just basic safety in driving in winter weather

So you don't actually have any experience driving in a place like this. You were a child who did not drive. Yeah, that context makes your commentary make a lot more sense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

So you don't actually have any experience driving in a place like this. You were a child who did not drive. Yeah, that context makes your commentary make a lot more sense.

I was both a child who did not drive in boston and then a driver in boston, much like anyone who grows up in a city.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

A couple minutes of letting your vehicle run uses a very miniscule about of fuel and saves a bunch of time loving around with windshield scrapers. If you don't mind loving around with cleaning your car off just jump in cold. It literally doesn't matter to anyone but those who have to be in the vehicle.

Whether or not you warm up your vehicle has nothing to do with driving skill. If you believe otherwise you are a dumb person, an idiot, maybe even a bad poster.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Just keepin my snow tires hidden away in my snow tire closet in my tiny city apartment

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

uggy posted:

Just keepin my snow tires hidden away in my snow tire closet in my tiny city apartment

Ah yes, the second set of part-time tires I have room in my budget for

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Ah yes, the second set of part-time tires I have room in my budget for

Honest question as someone who doesn’t drive: so you have snow tires and summer tires. If you swap them seasonally isn’t that roughly the same or better than using the same tires year round? (Like your winter tires wear out faster I’m guessing, but that’s still not wear on your summer tires and winter tires are hopefully built to be more resilient)

Why would you need two sets of part time tires? Wouldn’t you just have one in storage and one on your car at any time? Aren’t there places that store or offer seasonal tire rentals/replacements anyway?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

Aren’t there places that store or offer seasonal tire rentals/replacements anyway?

Yes.

Hand wringing about nowhere to store them is just more people who don't live where it snows or are just very bad at this.

The reason you have snow tires is because they work well in the snow and ice but the rubber compound wears VERY quickly in summer temperatures. Also, some places require/allow snow tires with studs which are not allowed during summer months.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arivia posted:

Honest question as someone who doesn’t drive: so you have snow tires and summer tires. If you swap them seasonally isn’t that roughly the same or better than using the same tires year round? (Like your winter tires wear out faster I’m guessing, but that’s still not wear on your summer tires and winter tires are hopefully built to be more resilient)

Why would you need two sets of part time tires? Wouldn’t you just have one in storage and one on your car at any time? Aren’t there places that store or offer seasonal tire rentals/replacements anyway?

You're correct, once you get over the initial purchase price, your seasonal tires will last longer, so it's just a matter of having the money on-hand at the time. And, absolutely, plenty of places will store them provided you pay them to do the work of swapping them over. It's a great deal for them due to economies of scale and the fact that doing the tire swap is piss easy when you have the tools.

The only real additional cost is that you really ought to have a second set of rims so you don't have to pay for them to be taken off the rims and put on every time.

Again, it's one of those things that's easy and actually not at all expensive provided you have the money on hand up front but can be awful if the budget is really tight. If you prevent even one collision (especially at-fault), you're saving money, and obviously a huge amount of aggravation, plus reducing the chance of injury or death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Arivia posted:

As someone who lived for 30 years in a very snowy part of the country and drove for half of that, basically most people just run their all-seasons into the ground because they're poor and get lectured by the one guy who feels very strongly about his winter driving regimen

This is certainly the tech thread