Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Question about work order automation: If I select the condition "when we have less than x" is it checking how many are in the fortress or how many are available/stockpiled? In other words, if I always want to have four beds available to make into new bedrooms, do I want "amount of beds is less than four" or "amount of beds is less than <four plus however many beds I have installed>"?

It checks only the stockpiles. Worn items, carried items, installed furniture etc. don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

DaysBefore posted:

Okay weird, I'm definitely making barrels. But the options for making booze are unavailable because I lack a food storage item. But I also have a chef dwarf churning out hundreds of meals so maybe he's sucking up all the barrels.

Use rock pots (at a craftsdwarf workshop) for food instead of barrels. Way more economical. In old df I found they would automatically prioritize rock pots over barrels for food if they were available, not sure if that's still the case.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
generating 500 years of very high civs/beasts/etc. fun to listen to the music and watch this map get populated by various city and civ icons,roads and whatnot. edit: hey wait, these bastards keep settling where i was thinking of settling

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 7, 2022

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A vile force of darkness has descended upon your fortress!

(The workshop is finally available)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

canepazzo posted:

It checks only the stockpiles. Worn items, carried items, installed furniture etc. don't count.

Oh rad. I never messed with automating work orders before but this makes a LOT of things so much easier.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nielsm posted:

Light aquifer report: They really are light. If you just prepare a bunch of material for building walls, ahead of time, you can easily dig a stairwell through, dig out the tiles around the stairwell, then construct walls around it and you're through. You'd have to be really slow to not make it.
I was capable of doing that with just the logs lying around on the surface, they're *slow*. At some point I made some wooden blocks and moved a stockpile down, though.

Also I believe you can have dwarves pick up water with buckets and move it elsewhere, so even if you get distracted and forget you can go empty it out again.

Bad Munki posted:

Makes bins and barrels and such.
Also you don't need enough stockpile space to hold all your wood.

Sad news: I tried making a minecart powered quantum stockpile and it didn't work. I didn't see anything I could do differently, either.

Do we know if workshop clutter is still in? I have some workshops with a bunch of things in them that I haven't gotten to making stockpiles for but I don't see any indicator when clicking the workshop. There seem to be a few things like that missing. Somebody else mentioned there's no visuals for if a field is planted. I can't figure out how to set a door tightly closed.

My for story so far is that I somehow have a tame elephant? I didn't pick one during embark, I just noticed I had one hanging around. It's a war elephant now. I'm not sure there's enough grass in my entryway to pasture it there so it can stomp thieves, though. If old stories are good for gangtag credit too, way back when the very first public release version came out, I remember discovering, and posting in the SA thread at the time, that you could channel from the *outside* river and get muddy, farmable tiles that way. Bit of a risk of drowning your dwarves if you weren't careful, though! An open floodgate would just produce an infinite amount of water back then. Very fast. :supaburn: but pretend the guy is underwater instead.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Squiggle posted:

Actually, this Noclip interview with Tarn does a pretty good job explaining how the emerging complexity over time has made weirder stuff happen and gotten stranger from unintended side effects. Things like geese laying chairs instead of eggs, or cats ingesting booze soaked into their paws through their eyelids while cleaning themselves and dying of alcohol poisoning.

Thank you!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I only had a few minutes to fiddle with it before going to work but I generated a world, half-assed preparing carefully, and got started digging out a hovel. I'm sure my little fort will be immediately hosed up by the first werechinchilla that happens by but oh well. Early verdict is I like it, the UI is nice though the mouse controls are a little hard to get used to after so much keyboard muscle memory, the graphics are pretty and readable but a bit 'zoomed in' for my taste, I keep rolling my mouse wheel trying to zoom out and launching through a half dozen z-levels instead.

Can't wait to get home and play more.

Zereth posted:

My for story so far is that I somehow have a tame elephant? I didn't pick one during embark, I just noticed I had one hanging around.

It's been the case for a while that you embark with a free random draft animal (presumably the one pulling your wagon) so you just got super lucky on the draft animal draft.

Usually it's a yak or a water buffalo or some lame thing like that.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 7, 2022

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Welp, screwed up a work order and had it building tables so all that rock I just cut out to make the giant gently caress off throne room? Welp, it's tables now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to place floors underneath furniture like a bed or do I have to pick it up, place the floor, then put it back down?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rulak Keepermoist

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Well there goes my first fortress... flock of giant ravens flew down and brutally grabbed the dwarves with their beaks and shook them to pieces

And my militiaman was just having a snooze down in the cave and didn't feel he needed to wake up to go fight them

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i've pried the steamver raws onto my comparison rack and it seems that Toady has deprecated architects entirely as a thing

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

Really? Mine threw an error that it couldn't sync to the cloud with no Internet so I think it may have it but it's not listed on the store as such.

Well it said cloud was up to date on my laptop before I uh...left work. At home on my desktop it also says up to date but no saves to load, only start a new game.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Here's a question as I'm a complete newbie to Dwarf Fortress: How do I set up miltia squads? I can't find anything in the interface and I'd like to get something set up before the goblins come and steal my lunch money

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why the heck do i have so many monster slayers asking to join, just a constant stream of them...

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Welp, my trick to save time of channeling out strategic areas to collapse the areas between them killed at least one dwarf. Didn't notice till I saw that the first floor had a corpse on it.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not interested in reading all the text dumps, I want the virtual ant farm aspect :(

I don't want to watch someone else play, I just want to have it running on a second monitor as a kind of passive screensaver thing

Step one: learn machine learning
Step two: somehow design train a model
Step three, the easy part: let the model control the game.

:Shruggo:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tibbeh posted:

Here's a question as I'm a complete newbie to Dwarf Fortress: How do I set up miltia squads? I can't find anything in the interface and I'd like to get something set up before the goblins come and steal my lunch money

First in the Nobles screen, assign a militia commander. Then, the flag on the bottom right opens the squads menu. Create a squad and the commander will automatically get made leader of it. Tah dah! If you click the checkbox near it you can manually tell them to train or kill something, and obviously there's much more complexity you can add.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my loving god, stop making fish you stupid dwarves, I have several hundred fish in already and my stockpile is absolutely goddamn rife with mussel shells now

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Arist posted:

Oh my loving god, stop making fish you stupid dwarves, I have several hundred fish in already and my stockpile is absolutely goddamn rife with mussel shells now

Use the shells.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Encrust every piece of furniture in the fort

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

First in the Nobles screen, assign a militia commander. Then, the flag on the bottom right opens the squads menu. Create a squad and the commander will automatically get made leader of it. Tah dah! If you click the checkbox near it you can manually tell them to train or kill something, and obviously there's much more complexity you can add.

Totally missed that flag, thanks a bunch for the help

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zesty posted:

Use the shells.

I CAN'T USE THEM FAST ENOUGH

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Decorate everything! More craftsdwarves! More workshops!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Remember to let your miners have a little fun with their work, as a treat. Enrichment is important!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

wilderthanmild posted:

Welp, screwed up a work order and had it building tables so all that rock I just cut out to make the giant gently caress off throne room? Welp, it's tables now.

I think your dwarves will elect the finest table the Mayor, and he shall rule unmovingly until time ends. The throne room is indeed now the table room.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

madmatt112 posted:

I think your dwarves will elect the finest table the Mayor, and he shall rule unmovingly until time ends. The throne room is indeed now the table room.

As Mayor, he tends to table all discussions, but the dwarves will grow to accept it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
For those of you planning on doing a succession fortress, remember the pitfalls of previous attempts: How they regularly just died.

You need to have something to set it apart from being "just another succession fortress". Lay the groundwork, come up with a good and interesting gimmick. Basically, what I am saying is look at how Leperflesh handled starting off Bronzestabbed and adopt some of the stuff that worked. Be ready to ride herd on a bunch of unruly goons who don't like deadlines and make them meet those deadlines anyway.

As for a gangtag story, I have told this before but I may as well retell it with better(?) writing. If I get any of the specific numerical details wrong, so be it. I lost the screenshots with a previous computer.

Many years ago I decided that I wanted to adventure with a wooden sword. Now, these were kind of difficult to obtain unless you played as an Elf, so I created an Elven Swordswoman, with a wooden shield and a cedar short sword, bedecked in the finest of wooden chainmail (I am still confounded as to how elves can make this), with wooden greaves, gauntlets, boots, and helm.

She set off on her journey and began slaying her way across the landscape. Now, most sword wielding adventurers and even soldiers eventually plateau with their weapon skill, since to advance you need to hit people, and when using a metal sword this tends to kill them rather quickly through exsanguination via dismemberment. A wooden sword, however, was extremely blunt while at the same time being light enough to not act like a funny shaped war hammer or mace. This meant that she could cheerfully beat away at any unfortunate bandit she encountered, gradually breaking bones and rupturing organs until they, out of sheer desperation, found the sweet relief of death.

As her skill grew, however, she started being able to slice off hands and feet from human and goblin alike, hastening their downfall, usually after striking them in the head to render them unconscious first. This still took a substantial amount of time, however, and her skill continued to grow.

As most of you know, skills continue to gain experience after they reach Legendary level, and you can get an idea of just how advanced they are past that by looking at the experience to next level, usually denoted by players as "Legendary +<number>". by doing this, I determined that she had achieved a skill level of Legendary +55 in the SwordsElf skill, at which point I began to experiment.

You see, when you made a targeted attack, it would give you a long list of places you could attack and the difficulty of making the strike successfully. These were usually context sensitive so a strike at the head in one turn may be of "Very Difficult" difficulty on one turn, and then "Easy" on the next. Certain body parts, such as eyes, often had an "Impossible" difficulty (In fact, almost the only time such bodyparts ever had anything besides that was when the victim was unconscious and thus incapable of defending themselves. As your skill grew, you became more and more able to strike progressively more difficult targets. At Legendary +55, the difficulty table was essentially meaningless.

It was at this point my Elf learned that she had a great enthusiasm for dentistry, much to the misfortune of every bandit and outlaw she encountered. She had been questing for quite some time by now, and had even racked up several night creature kills, but her fame was insufficient for her to be given the quests that separated heroes from the common adventurer, so she spoke to villagers and townspeople until she learned the location of a Dragon's lair, and promptly set off to find glory or death. Amusingly, it was relatively close by to the town she learned of it from, so less than an hours journey brought her to her target.

She entered the cave and encountered the great beast, blocking its flaming breath with her shield (Skill level at this time for the ShieldElf skill was approximately Legendary +30. It turns out that also levels when you bash a goblins head in with it) and advanced upon the great wyrm, stabbing her sword towards the great beasts head and... knocking it unconscious. Sadly, this was not to be the end of the battle, as try as she might, her sword was utterly incapable of piercing the beasts scales, though it was sufficient, with hr skills, to trim off all it claws. Unfortunately, her unlicensed Mani-Pedi service failed to cause sufficient bleeding to fell the creature, and after three days and three nights of pummelling the creature with her sword and shield, she finally accepted the truth: That her "blade" would not be enough on its own.

And thus she wrapped her shield arm around the dragons throat and began to strangle the great beast. Naturally, it woke up and struggled against her untrained grip, so she stabbed it in the head and sent it back to dreamland and resumed her attempt at strangling the creature. Her wrestling skill grew rapidly against the giant creature and five more times, when it woke, it was unable to free itself from her grasp before she returned it to it's cranial trauma induced slumber and, eventually, it succumbed. The mighty Dragon, strangled by an Elf. To celebrate her victory, she butchered the creature and ate its heart.

Naturally, her success at slaying such a creature elevated her fame considerably, and she was now being given quests to hunt and kill other Dragons and even Titans. The majority of the former also fell to strangulation, her weapons simply being insufficient for the task of slaying those creatures directly. It was against the latter that her weaponry prevailed. She had the goal, you see, of adding a Megabeast kill to her swords legend. This proved to be considerably more difficult than anticipated, even considering the "blade's" bluntness. Two Titans perished to shield bashing, and a Giant Tarantula Titan perished when she bit it in the head and damaged its brain enough to slay it. By this stage she had killed over 2000 entities in the world and weariness was setting in. She went on one final hunt and found another Titan, and this one she was able to slay with her sword. Because it was made of water (Titans made of non-solids were ludicrously vulnerable). It was rather anticlimactic, but a kill is a kill and she retired to a nearby human town as the worlds most skilled SwordsBeing, at about Legendary +70 skill by then, I believe.

Her sword and shield both had ludicrously long lists of historical figures murdered with them. It was honestly horrifying just how prolific a murderer she was, and considering the tools of her trade, how protracted those murders were.

Adventures like these are why I mostly prefer to play Adventure Mode rather than Fortress Mode.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Pickled Tink posted:

Elven swordChicanery

Welp, you’ve convinced me to finally try adventure mode.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I get the joke here, but this actually looks kinda cool. Last time I played, instruments were a relatively novel and new thing, and I hated them because, as the mod points out, the instruments are opaquely named, and the procedural generation makes me not want to learn anything about them, because next time I generate a world and fort, it'll be completely different.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Woof, by the end of my 500 years basically every major civ hub fell to sinister kingdoms and evil haunted poo poo. There was like an all roads lead to rom situation at one point but now all that development is mucky little villages in sinister terrain.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

madmatt112 posted:

This 3 story elegantly etched dwarven throne room is lined with 120 basalt tables.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

glad to see someone's doing the important work already

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

I'd take a dorffortress tag to go with my boomer shooter one. Been a long time since I've struck the Earth, but I did find some old screenshots of the first time I encountered a were-beast:

"Now you will know why you fear the night." Goddamn :gonk:

It got in to my fort and started killing my doodz, I was eventually able to wear (heh) it down, but at what cost?

Pretty loving high cost it turns out.

With the few survivors I started trying to claw my way back to a functioning civilization, but everyone had megaPTSD:

Guess what happened right before the next migrant wave...

Didn't survive that one :rip:

Bonus story, Krugg's 11 hour launch stream concluded with him taking a squad and exploring the caves under his fort down to level -67 and finding a badly wounded cyclopse surrounded by the gore and viscera of every other creature in the cave:

He polled the chat and decided to try and finish it off with his barely-trained militia. For some reason only one guy actually ran up to the cyclopse and got immediately pasted, but not before cutting its leg causing it to bleed out shortly thereafter:

Knowing the cycorpse will be raised as a zombie in a few short minutes, he rushes to wall it in on all sides, leaving one opening with a cage trap:

But dwarf path fuckery delays the operation until it is too late :(

Apparently zombie creatures have more acute senses than their formerly-living selves, because zombie cy notices a lingering militia member standing across the caves and proceeds to leash behind him all the way up to the fort proper, effortlessly squishing any dorfs it finds along the way. With no way out Krugg exiles his remaining 3 guys in a last ditch effort to save their lives, and at least one of them does strike out to take their chances in the frozen wastelands:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

How do I remove parts of a stockpile designation without repainting the whole thing? I just need to cut a 2x2 corner out for some stairs.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

xarph posted:

How do I remove parts of a stockpile designation without repainting the whole thing? I just need to cut a 2x2 corner out for some stairs.

I don't think you can :(

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

xarph posted:

i think if you try to make a new stockpile on top of it and then delete that stock pile? i saw a streamer do it but i wasn't really paying attention

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zereth posted:

Sad news: I tried making a minecart powered quantum stockpile and it didn't work. I didn't see anything I could do differently, either.

QSPs still work, you just cannot make them out of a single track stop any more. The way I've got mine working is with a 3-tile long minecart route that uses a track stop to dump its contents onto the quantum stockpile. Because it relies on someone pushing it along, you may need to tweak the stop conditions to happen more frequently, especially for QSPs that store smaller items like bars or cloth. A minecart will be full after maybe 8 boulders, but it could take dozens of bars to reach 100%, and so far it seems like items in minecarts are considered inaccessible for the purposes of crafting and construction. It took a lot of frustrating fiddling before I realized that and finally said "gently caress it, I'll use a traditional stockpile for stone blocks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

GruntyThrst posted:

I don't think you can :(

man, I used to do this all the time in ascii and make like L shaped stuff so I could stuff workshops in there