Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Hyman's out too now? Crazy.

Strangely, I'm glad the Stars are winning games. I have a feeling they shouldn't be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The Bloc are always there along with the NDP wanting Trudeau to go further.

The bloc and NDP oppose the amendment to C-21 now that they realize how dumb of an overreach it is, causing Trudeau to back off realizing he no longer has the support.

Probably best to take the gun tantrums to canpol.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its hard to outscore your problems when there's like 2 guys on the team that can score at 5x5

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jehde posted:

The bloc and NDP oppose the amendment to C-21 now that they realize how dumb of an overreach it is, causing Trudeau to back off realizing he no longer has the support.

Probably best to take the gun tantrums to canpol.

Yeah you should.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

quote:

Now, this is one thing I do know. The Calgary Flames are looking for a goal-scorer. I heard last night Calgary may have interest in Boeser. Not confirmed, but teams poke around, Donnie, trying to find the price and see if there's a fit. Lots of former Canucks in the Calgary dressing room who could vouch for Boeser.

From Rick Dhaliwal.

I've heard rumours Milan Lucic has always dreamed of playing for his hometown.... actually I've heard the complete opposite but that doesn't fit my current narrative.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/SadClubCommish/status/1600146929522192385

[nicholson nod]

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
all goalies are bad now

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Where is it when you remove the starting goaltenders of the Western Canadian teams?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Levitate posted:

all goalies are bad now

Watch Quick start against Ottawa tonight and the Sens blow him out of the water.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

I've been reading more and more stuff about teams analytics showing shooting% going up dramatically if you go side to side in the offensive zone, and a lot of players and broadcasters talk about it in interviews as well. I would imagine despite constant Coach protestations to "just get the puck to the net and get dirty goals crash the net boys don't be fancy", they are deliberately coaching for that more.

add that to the rise in mobile defensemen, fewer fighters, more development of star/better players in the US, modern goaltending being more injury prone and teams going more 1a/1b because of that, and it's death by 1000 cuts. good. gently caress goalies

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Regulate goalies until the league average is 0.8%. If this requires banning the butterfly, so be it. I demand pad stacks.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

They've made a handful of reductions in equipment size as well, but not enough to get to skinny 1980s silhouettes which I require.

At least it's not fuckin garth snow-like any more.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What year did James Benn win the Art Ross with 87 points

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The current goal scoring level is great and I don't want it to go up or down at all from here on out.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What year did James Benn win the Art Ross with 87 points

2014-15. Only three players eclipsed 82 points. Somehow Ovie still put up 53 goals though.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Shots against are pretty consistent over that time period...saves don't change that much either....powerplays up slightly - shooting and shot selection probably has improved/analyzing where and how to create those shots has improved as well. Which helps 5v5 scoring and powerplay scoring. Long may it continue.

Also when did they change the goalies pads and jersey stuff?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They've been making tweaks to goalie equipment rules to make them smaller every year or two for the past decade. The rising shot percentage is mostly due to that and slightly increased enforcement of interference/crosschecking (but probably more due to the extra power plays than the rule enforcement itself)

Enjoy it while it lasts, inevitably they will get lax on enforcing those rules and scoring will plummet again

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Misanthrope posted:

From Rick Dhaliwal.

I've heard rumours Milan Lucic has always dreamed of playing for his hometown.... actually I've heard the complete opposite but that doesn't fit my current narrative.

At this point gently caress it, boeser for looch, the trade is 1 for 1. Wish I could remember who in here posted that "lucic has the same expression as a caveman trying to understand why the fire burns when he touches it" or whatever because it makes me laugh like an idiot when he's arguing with a ref

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

The current goal scoring level is great and I don't want it to go up or down at all from here on out.

Yeah I'm good with where it's at now. I'm enjoying most games having like 5+ goals (no idea if that's actually accurate) and feeling like anyone could climb out of a 2 or 3 goal hole. The occasional 9-8 or 7-6 games are a lot of fun but I wouldn't want it to be the norm.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm thinking I have to take a break from watching the Avs until they start getting healthy. It's difficult to watch them get housed by the Flyers and recognize the more talented team won.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Simplex posted:

I'm thinking I have to take a break from watching the Avs until they start getting healthy. It's difficult to watch them get housed by the Flyers and recognize the more talented team won.

It’s been a tough couple years for you Avs fans, hang in there brother

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I forget which opponent it was but one of the coaches the Leafs played recently basically said offensive systems are a lot better now and defensive systems haven’t really figured out their counter.

Now, how much of that is most teams abandoning “chuck it at the net and hope for rebounds” as their primary source of offence and how much is actual skill/systems development we might never know, there was a lot of room for improvement on how teams used to play.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Good article: https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2022/12/6/23496483/save-over-time-in-the-nhl

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

The first comment on that article is fantastic.

quote:

I figured it out. 2017 was the year that they started cracking down on the Leo Komarov style visors.

The NHL also will be addressing the incorrect use of player visors. Officials have been instructed to be diligent with the observation and enforcement of this rule.

Rule 9.7 – Visors: Beginning with the 2013-14 season, all players who have fewer than 25 games of NHL experience must wear a visor properly affixed to their helmet. Visors are to be affixed to the helmets in such a fashion as to ensure adequate eye protection.

Players wearing their visors incorrectly, if witnessed by the officials, will be removed from play and not permitted to return until their visors are properly affixed to their helmets. If a player returns to the ice (after a first offense and warning) while still in violation of the rule, he will be penalized.

Once players were forced to wear their visors correctly, their eyes were protected which made overall eyesight among skaters better. With the better vision, they started seeing lanes to the nets and were able to make passes to the middle and get more good shots on net. Previously, the almost blind players were just randomly blasting shots from the blueline toward the net. Thank you Uncle Leo!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

xzzy posted:

Regulate goalies until the league average is 0.8%. If this requires banning the butterfly, so be it. I demand pad stacks.

So replace them with lacrosse goalies?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1600285617857781760
That's approximately the same timeline as Landeskog, Nichushkin, Rodrigues, Helm, Lehkonen, Byram, and Manson so early January will be a much different team than playing right now.

Also Jayson Megna got placed on waivers for salary cap reasons and the Ducks claimed him, so the Avs need to call up 2 forwards from the AHL or put in a claim for Dominic Toninato off waivers from Winnipeg, either way, a chance they dress their 24th and maybe their 25th forward for the season tomorrow.

Kale
May 14, 2010

You're telling me the guy from Alberta that almost always shows up to the arena decked out in cowboy gear and whose mother is literally a tribal chief hunts and likes/owns a bunch of guns? I mean it was no real secret, but having to take a stance on it online while thankfully not leaning heavily into culture war bullshit is pretty disappointing. Please tell me I'm not going to have to hear Carey go on about "the wokes" and "the biased liberal media that is silencing conservative voices" in the near future that seems to be the new hot thing celebrities are doing. I just finished hanging up a Price/Habs themed picture frame in my new place so we please leave it to the one personal albeit horrendously timed statement without the descent into all out Tony DeAngelo or god forbid Kanye style shitheadery.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1600293133858000896?s=20&t=6uMBSqZdsvmL_9SGOIaJ7A

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Kale posted:

You're telling me the guy from Alberta that almost always shows up to the arena decked out in cowboy gear and whose mother is literally a tribal chief hunts and likes/owns a bunch of guns? I mean it was no real secret, but having to take a stance on it online while thankfully not leaning heavily into culture war bullshit is pretty disappointing. Please tell me I'm not going to have to hear Carey go on about "the wokes" and "the biased liberal media that is silencing conservative voices" in the near future that seems to be the new hot thing celebrities are doing. I just finished hanging up a Price/Habs themed picture frame in my new place so we please leave it to the one personal albeit horrendously timed statement without the descent into all out Tony DeAngelo or god forbid Kanye style shitheadery.

I think you're joking here but Carey is a good bc boy. don't tar him with the Alberta brush, that's not fair to him or his family

Kale
May 14, 2010

I've definitely been seeing a lot more game with one team going over 5 goals a lot more frequently in the last 5 or 6 season compared to what I remember when I started following hockey more actively around the 2009-2010 season. I just think some of the skaters coming into the league are so loving fast now combined with shortening and easing some of the rules of where a player can be to not be considered offside have driven up the percentage of high scoring chance shots more than anything. I'd love to see the stats on turn of the century peak New Jersey Devils/Brodeur neutral zone trap dead puck era hockey.

mennoknight posted:

I think you're joking here but Carey is a good bc boy. don't tar him with the Alberta brush, that's not fair to him or his family

It's the cowboy getup thing. I mean ultimately given his background it's kind of just a given that he hunts and has guns and is pro-gun stance. For me it's a matter of how far he goes with the political stance making thing which should be a one off, but you know. I don't agree with the pro-gun stance, but like it's his position to have at the end of the day. The timing and overall handling of the statement by the Habs organization trying to bullshit through it and just the bad follow up basically has me hoping he just shuts up now and that that's the end of it. What has me concerned is the number of the people going off the deep end and just spewing endless right wing rhetoric and become a void of a person save for said rhetoric spewing 24/7, which I don't think Carey would do, but then again I never thought this would be a trendy thing to begin with. You know the partisan hackery among every day private citizens, including those of celebrity status as just general interaction. Amazingly it feels like it's only going to get worse with people like Elon Musk trying to turbocharge it even further than it's already gotten.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

fermun posted:

Also Jayson Megna got placed on waivers for salary cap reasons and the Ducks claimed him, so the Avs need to call up 2 forwards from the AHL or put in a claim for Dominic Toninato off waivers from Winnipeg, either way, a chance they dress their 24th and maybe their 25th forward for the season tomorrow.

Claiming Megna seems so pointless I almost have to assume it was done out of spite.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol it's like a college player skating in D4 beer league.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I get that's against the hawks but good god I haven't seen a guy that good on his edges in I don't know how long. Glad to see him finally shining

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
He did this too

https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1600292609817473025

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

(Nevermind, but please move the gun stuff to canpol)

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 7, 2022

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Let's Go Devils :devil:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diet Crack posted:

Best Dougie game as a devil?
https://twitter.com/BDog9902/status/1600317170554228736

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Every time I think Detroit is going into the inevitable tank they win a few. Maybe the Rangers and Panthers are gonna truly and really gently caress up

e: Devils own, etc, but I don't trust this so called goaltending thing, feels like they're giving up a little too much lately and I think it will cost them a bit coming up against tougher teams

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So how is this a goal?

https://www.nhl.com/video/crosby-nets-back-to-back-goals/t-335529202/c-14110956

But this isn't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOSo4U5ZVVA&t=66s

e: I guess the Crosby was ruled goal on the ice, and the Bastian one wasn't. But they're still both in the crease and the goalie initiates contact (although the Bastian one is a little more 50/50 about that). Bastian is also deeper in the crease.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I definitely saw Columbus' argument there and was surprised the call held. Crosby was a bit further out in the paint than Bastian was I guess.