Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol built my stone workshop out of ice but really i just built a puddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

xarph posted:

How do I remove parts of a stockpile designation without repainting the whole thing? I just need to cut a 2x2 corner out for some stairs.

You select the stockpile and I think there's a button for re-painting the stockpile, and I think it even lets you erase portions of it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2898529592

horny begins

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Should I embark with 1 cock or should I bring more just in case?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ok so this is the first time I’ve ever played the game. I’ve watched a couple Quill18 fortresses over the years and read a couple of the more famous LPs but that’s about it.

So far so good! I skipped the tutorial and just decided to hope in a gently caress around. Found an embark site where all the text was green and hit go assuming that’d be fine and so far it is.

So far my only real story is that I embarked with four dogs, and didn’t really know what to do with four dogs. I created a paddock zone or whatever outside of my fortress and chose to keep my grazing animals there (no idea if they actually graze?) but I assumed my dogs would have to go hunt or something so I let them have free reign of the map. So they’ve been constantly fighting packs of wild boar for almost a year now! I read through the combat logs and they seem to get injured now and then, but I pull up their profile and it says they’re healthy. The only exception is one of the paragraphs say that all four dogs have no teeth. I assume this is from fighting the boars, and maybe that’s why they aren’t killing the boars. So I click the Go To thing one time to watch a fight between the dogs and a boar and, lo and behold, the ground is indeed littered with dog teeth. Just twenty tiles of broken dog teeth. I hope that I can collect them to adorn my rock mugs or something, and that my dogs can find something suitable to eat even though they don’t have teeth.

Idk if that’s enough for a dwarf gang tag or not but I’ll take one if it is! It was an amusing and memorable story for me at least.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really like that one track that has the old toady guitar stuff but goes into a piano...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So I'm an old hand and I'm not having great exciting adventures beyond the satisfaction of learning the new interface (including how to zoom out! wow!) but I did have an adventure when everyone decided it was Plant Gathering Time requiring me to wonder, "why didn't any mining get done this month?" and to review how THAT poo poo works. So be aware, true believers.

They'll go pick cabbages if you let 'em.

Orty
May 14, 2007

After giving Dwarf Fortress a try every year or so and never getting a grasp of it, I can say that the steam version has made it slightly easier. Though I still have absolutely no clue what I am doing, but I am having fun!

My fort is a complete mess, but I did finally get my first strange mood, which produced... a bed made out of a fancy mineral with a picture of a how to book on it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Anno posted:

Ok so this is the first time I’ve ever played the game. I’ve watched a couple Quill18 fortresses over the years and read a couple of the more famous LPs but that’s about it.

So far so good! I skipped the tutorial and just decided to hope in a gently caress around. Found an embark site where all the text was green and hit go assuming that’d be fine and so far it is.

So far my only real story is that I embarked with four dogs, and didn’t really know what to do with four dogs. I created a paddock zone or whatever outside of my fortress and chose to keep my grazing animals there (no idea if they actually graze?) but I assumed my dogs would have to go hunt or something so I let them have free reign of the map. So they’ve been constantly fighting packs of wild boar for almost a year now! I read through the combat logs and they seem to get injured now and then, but I pull up their profile and it says they’re healthy. The only exception is one of the paragraphs say that all four dogs have no teeth. I assume this is from fighting the boars, and maybe that’s why they aren’t killing the boars. So I click the Go To thing one time to watch a fight between the dogs and a boar and, lo and behold, the ground is indeed littered with dog teeth. Just twenty tiles of broken dog teeth. I hope that I can collect them to adorn my rock mugs or something, and that my dogs can find something suitable to eat even though they don’t have teeth.

Idk if that’s enough for a dwarf gang tag or not but I’ll take one if it is! It was an amusing and memorable story for me at least.

Afaik only obligate herbivores need to feed, other animals will be fine and don't actually need to eat to sustain themselves. Captured wild animals, however, do get fed as part of the taming process, so if you plan to tame cave crocodiles or something you'll need to have some meat or prepared fish on-hand.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Always wanted to play this game but never got around to learning it's steep learning curve.

Loving how the game is playing so far even if I killed my first colony. I found an underwater river and decided to try out the water source designation. It went poorly. The tunnel flooded and trapped my poor dwarves in the meeting room where they drowned. Only one Dwarf survived but was trapped in her room by the deep water as her husband's corpse floated outside her door.

Looking forward to my next attempt.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant posted:

lol built my stone workshop out of ice but really i just built a puddle

perfect, lost my first dwarves and fortress. the tutorial one no less lol. turns out the staircase i dug to start my new fort was actually a frozen brook. it has thawed, flooded, and drowned dwarves. I still got it. the stairs werer made of ice too it seems and theres jus ta big wet pit with floating corpses no one can get to. my remaining original dwarves are all locked in their rooms behind stone doors. enjoying their fin beds and doors, not knowing the grim fate before them

this dying man's lost thoughts were relief being near a waterfall, the waterfall created when i told him to remove his door

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 7, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how do I find soil… I feel like I used to do something with floodgates to flood a chamber with a lake??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what is "someone has been missing for a week"? dead dwarf but nobody has seen the body? oh he died in the underwater kitchen

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 7, 2022

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ok! So the elves, highly offended at my offering of booze in artisinally distressed tree-trunks, sieged me. Very shortly afterwards, a (the?) nearby goblin tribe also decided to siege me. Simultaneously with the elf Karens. My initial high hopes of seeing them, I dunno, go toe to toe and mulch one another sadly faded swifter than I hoped. The two armies (really, it was more like a couple squads each) showed up on different sides of the map. I had already buttoned up the fort as best I was able and was assembling my squad and bait room, when inspiration struck. I put a war dog on a rope in the bait room and opened the bridge to allow access. The elves and goblins both psychically smelled an opportunity for dwarf meat! Swiftly they converged on the poor, doomed hound. I was lucky in that they were both roughly equidistant from the chamber, but the elves arrived first. They must have been all wielding leaf-ticklers or something, because the dog put down two of their number without a scratch.

Then the goblins arrived, and gently caress goddamn, that worked a treat. One of the marksgoblins shot at the dog, but hit an elf, and then all hell broke loose. Goblin savaged elf, and elf mostly died frankly, but they did manage to kill a few gobbos. Evidently, having had enough, the elves withdrew from the map, but the goblins were more reticent. I decided to open the ballista wall to take a shot or two and hope it would scare them off. I got SUPER lucky, and the first ballista bolt tore the head off the leader! It didn't take long for the rest of the gobbos to scatter back to their filthy hovels after that. The best part is that my engraver is already engraving poo poo about dwarves loving up goblins everywhere. The other engraver I have is making pictures of elves eating poo poo from goblins, which hilariously is near the trade depot. This game has an uncanny sense of humor sometimes

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

e:

BMG Big Milky Gorillas :wink:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 7, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there a way I can just automate this game and make it play itself? I like the concept of this and it seems cool, but even giving it another shot, this is just not nearly as fun to play as other games in the genre.

Personally I've always felt that Rimworld was like 90% simulator and 10% game and I love the concept of that. I like the 10% game part in Rimworld. I'm not liking the 10% game part in Dwarf Fortress but I would enjoy watching a dwarf civilization ant farm.

You could just load someone else's save?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The main story I remember from ages ago is I had a guy deconstruct a stairway to the sky but that particular dwarf had been imprinted on by like 30 different farm animals that followed him everywhere, so in the deconstruction process every single one fell down into a massive pile of horses, goats, and sheep.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Does anyone have any go to youtube videos that explain the complexity that comes from dwarf fortress? I know basically nothing about it and had a good overview given by some goons but would love a deep dive.

Another fun complexity.

Adventurer mode has the option of playing as a historical figure. This worked fine, but had a few bugs when Toady introduced minf qnd soul mechanics.

If you played as a historical figure, everyone who knew the player character before rhat point would immediately recognize that they were being possessed, and wouldn't treat them normally.

Toady patched that bug.

The other one was found later and a bit more subtle. A player noticed that his adventurer had a coating of tears on their eyes after battle.

After some community experimentation, Toady confirmed the bug - when posessing an adventurer, control was supplanted by the player. But the mind and emotions of the original historical character still existed and were still reacting to what was happening. Puppeteered by an outside force, unable to move an inch or stop the killing, they could only cry.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
these migrants and invading undead will make good friends im sure

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Game had a solid 12-hour run as the top global seller on Steam. I have to imagine that translates into a very successful launch.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

After some community experimentation, Toady confirmed the bug - when posessing an adventurer, control was supplanted by the player. But the mind and emotions of the original historical character still existed and were still reacting to what was happening. Puppeteered by an outside force, unable to move an inch or stop the killing, they could only cry.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Khanstant posted:

what is "someone has been missing for a week"? dead dwarf but nobody has seen the body? oh he died in the underwater kitchen

this post is poetry

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know it's pretty basic stuff but I really enjoy poking around Legends mode and finding out that a dwarf was taken by a fey mood at the age of sixteen, created an artifact crossbow, gave it to the king and then ten years later wrote a book entirely about how she made a really great crossbow one time. Then she apprenticed as a bard for a while and wrote a bunch of other books not interesting enough to have their own entries including 'It Must Have Been Amethysts' and 'Late Brain'. Her latter years were spent marrying and divorcing the same dwarf four times, an ex-beekeeper who finally had enough of her and married someone else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Went through the intro interactive tutorial but they don't let you delete mining orders until like halfway thru the tutorial. Ended up retiring the fort cause I didn't like the layout but going to start my first real attempt at Steam DF!

Really loving the interfaces and graphics so far, also the music and subtle sound effects really add to the game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Anyone see a Dragon yet? Curious what they look like.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Also this one elf wrote three books about the nature of truth and then got eaten by a bear. Shakespearean.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
More research from the Deck: there's a custom controller profile called "Easy Dwarf Fortress" that adds some nice radial menus and all that makes it even better to play, and is a good basis for further customization if you want. I genuinely played like 2 hours straight without even noticing haha

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I would very much like that gang-tag.

No stories from the Steam version yet, had an hour to mess around with it before work, and just got in. But I've a mini-story from my last fort in 47.05, which I was still playing on Monday.

Abbeyponders was a fairly peaceful place through its run - I only saw one siege, and that was six goblins with crossbows at a point when I had 4 fully trained squads ready to go. Apart from apparently being the entertainment capital of the world - I had something like a dozen individual bards, poets and singers, as well as at least six troupes of one size or another, all in my 10x20 tavern - the fort led a quiet life.

This weekend though, the latest dwarf got a fey mood, and this time it's a one-year-old. I didn't even know kids could get moods that young. Apparently this guy was just ready to go as soon as those legs worked. He claims a workshop, and gathers everything except bars of metal.

It's been a pretty slim run on metals. Copper and silver are more or less the only ores I've found on the map, but I grabbed what I could from traders over the years, and tried to keep one of every metal bar they brought aside, just for moody bastards like this.

I'm 99% certain he wanted brass. It was the only metal in his list of favorite things, and of course, didn't have any. No brass, no zinc, no sphalerite. The only merchant who visited during this was, of course, an Elf, who naturally had nothing metal at all. I'm not sure how in the 12 months he'd been alive, he'd decided brass was his favorite thing, despite never having seen an ounce of the stuff.

So, of course, the toddler had a tantrum, and last I saw of him he was wandering the halls randomly and gibbering to himself, which I know means he's irretrievably insane and going to die, but sounds more like default toddler behavior to me.

I actually kinda feel bad. There was nothing else I could have done to get brass, but I almost feel like I should have kept playing till he died. It seemed... rude, to leave before he'd had his final little moment.

And that's the end of the story. I suppose I should have gooned it up and kept playing till 5am to see a sprite keel over and die, but I'm not quite that far gone. But I'll never cease to be impressed how much this basic-rear end looking game manages to give you feelings.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How do you set plants or fruits to be cookable/brewable/neither now? I can't find the dang ol' kitchen menu.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is this fort in some sort of monster hunter tourist destination? i gotten like 8 and its only summer of the second year.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Found the guy who invented glue. He wrote three books: 'Never Underestimate Adhesives', 'Can Adhesives Save the World?' and 'Classic Adhesives', all written on the skin of one forgotten beast. He used its claws for the rollers of the scrolls. Classy!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

Found the guy who invented glue. He wrote three books: 'Never Underestimate Adhesives', 'Can Adhesives Save the World?' and 'Classic Adhesives', all written on the skin of one forgotten beast. He used its claws for the rollers of the scrolls. Classy!

Make him the expedition leader for Fort 3M.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I made a bird centric fort named Birdworks settled by a group named the Birds of Death whose symbol was a peacock on fire. The peacock is screaming.

I brought nine females and two males of every bird type and was going to turn my fortress into an egg based economic powerhouse. I settled in the untamed wilds on a big plain with lots of trees and started digging into a low hill and setting up my nest boxes and farms.

Then the death started.

I had tempted fate with my naming conventions. Nine giant wrens, each four times the size of a dwarf. They began picking my dwarves up and dropping them to the ground from on high. One flew straight through my entrance, down 10 z levels of stairs, and began tearing through my ducks and turkeys and chickens with wreckless abandon. I formed a squad of unarmed dwarves and tried to hunt them down, my dwarves running around the ground and piling onto them and breaking wings whenever they got low. 20 dwarves were lost in this process to slay 7 of the wrens. By this point my remaining dwarves had been going too long and with winter freezing all available water died to dehydration.

The twp remaining wrens are now historical figures in legends mode and have multiple dwarf and duck kills to their name.

I WILL RECLAIM THIS FORT. I WILL BE THE MASTER OF THE BIRDS

E: gangtag me pretty please

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I dunno pal, sounds like the birds already mastered you.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

fyi quantum stockpiles still work

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Tunicate posted:

The other one was found later and a bit more subtle. A player noticed that his adventurer had a coating of tears on their eyes after battle.

I thought this was a joke but good god it wasn't. The Bay12 forums appear to be getting hugged to death though so this link may not work for a bit.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Is there a way to single-step advance time in the steam version? Hitting period while paused used to make it go forward one tick, good for watching fights.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

sebmojo posted:

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

I am bummed that I seem to have lost all of my old DF screenshots but my favorite one was of an Ettin's status screen after walking through like 20 rockfall traps in my fortress entrance. Just mangled in every possible way and somehow still walking around tearing dwarves up.

My favorite Dwarf Fortress memory is when I was in my freshman year of college in 2009-10 and there was a new update that I had been playing a bunch that evening. Finally bedtime rolled around and I told myself I'd go to bed right after I finished the section of fortress I was working on. About eight hours later the sun was coming up and it was time to get ready for class, and I was still playing. I was not a very good student :v:

Hopefully that's good enough for a gang tag :)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

The in game labor system is certainly... better now, but without the ability to prioritize one labor over another for the same dwarf I still find it kind of lacking.

Has there been any statement or information from whoever works on Dwarf Therapist if they plan to update it for the steam version / a guess at a time frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0utR1d3r
May 19, 2005
Got 's teh Boost?

I haven't played DF in at least a decade, everything feels pretty wonderous and new at the moment, here is my gang-tag story submission.

So to start, I don't know if being able to build tunnels down on the Z axis is new to me (since I played so long ago) or if I just forgot about it, but my inner dwarf demanded I dig down constantly; either something really cool or really bad would happen was my guess. I found a lot of gemstones as I tunneled deeper, so that part I would file under really cool. However, in digging out one of the little pockets of gemstones I uncovered a massive underground cavern. I wasn't sure if this was good or bad, but either way I now had a sprawling fungal cave deep beneath my fort.

I don't know if it was just due to the exposure of it being opened up, or if it was the logs from one of the weird mushroom trees I chopped down and brought back up to my stocks, but regardless the soil in my underground lair started to turn into yellow fungal floors with the occasional mushroom growing out of it. I have no idea if this is ultimately going to be good or bad for my fort, but right now we are seemingly getting along with the fungal growths everywhere.

That said, what is not going well is that the opening of this giant cavern seems to have attracted a lot of monster hunters. At first I was just slamming the approve button on every petition for anyone wanting to move in with the reason to hunt monsters, but as things have escalated since then I am not so sure my "approve all" policy was the wisest decision. Originally I figured that having all these monster hunters hanging around would keep me safe in the event of a goblin invasion or some other errant group of monsters coming my way, what I didn't realize at the time was that they were showing up to go hunting in the caverns, but it wouldn't be long before I found out. I started getting numerous alerts of fighting going on between Trolls and Troglodytes primarily, I go to the location of one of the alerts and it sends me down to those fungal caverns but now with blood and bodies strewn about all over. People keep getting pissed about finding bodies everywhere now and suddenly tensions and moods are worsening, migrants are starting to pour in like crazy too, I keep getting alerts of people going missing. I was pretty well stocked on food, but resources are starting to dwindle quickly and a lot of dwarves are seemingly too busy bickering or having meltdowns to get any real work done.

I don't know how long this fortress lasts, whether it just descends into a complete self-inflicted chaos or if some angry troll from the cavern will eventually decide to make its way upstairs and trash the place, but either way I am having a hell of a good time watching this unfold.