Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
There was a lot of that "cat haters are serial killers" discussion happening on the Twitter thread of that short clip of the girl disliking having the cat on her lap (it was posted here last week I think). :allears:

If you take anything more away from a ten second clip of someone grimacing at a cat sitting on their lap than either
A. nodding in solidarity (if you don't like cats) or
B. rolling your eyes (if you do like cats)

....then you are Too Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Agents are GO! posted:

Dogs don't understand consent. Cats understand but don't care.

Lol yeah ok. Tell that to my corgi when one of the other dogs tries to take one of his toys. I’d say he gets the concept of consent (when he’s the one giving/rescinding it anyway)

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I have eaten wild boar and it was delicious, and did not taste like urine, sweat, or feces. Are there geographic differences? Or was the meat I ate from females? Or something else?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
The Internet greatly exaggerates.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Huge if true.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Captain Monkey posted:

Huge if true.

The hugeness is, itself, exaggerated, believe it or not.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I have eaten wild boar and it was delicious, and did not taste like urine, sweat, or feces. Are there geographic differences? Or was the meat I ate from females? Or something else?

Look at this urine, sweat and feces tasting expert over here.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

TotalLossBrain posted:

Maybe let them out of the bathroom first, jerk

Spoken like someone who has never lived in the same house as a cat.

The cat does not want to get in, or to get out. It wants to be on the other side of the door. This is a perpetual state.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GD_American posted:

….Most folks I know that have been eating wild hog for years have had at least one bout of brucellosis….
That poo poo is lifelong, goddamn.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Waste of Breath posted:

"Androstenone (a male pheromone) is produced in the testes as male pigs reach puberty and gives the meat a urine or sweat flavour, while skatole (a byproduct of intestinal bacteria, or bacterial metabolite of the amino acid tryptophan) is produced in both male and female pigs and gives the meat a 'fecal' flavour. "

So you're telling me when old kings would hunt boar, they were celebrating by eating toilet pork? And this was a thing for people to do?

Disease is different between countries (and time), f.ex. we don't have Brucellosis in wild boar in Sweden, and every felled animal is by law required to be tested before it can be used for anything. Trichinosis is the big fear and a very good motivator for legislating.

https://www.slu.se/forskning/kunskapsbank/publicerat/viltnotiser/sjukdomsframkallande-smittor-hos-svenska-vildsvin/

As for taste, them there kings preferred piglets. Age is one thing that greatly affects what meat tastes like, the food that fed the animal is another. This is true for all animals including humans if anyone's curious.

I haven't eaten american wilded hog or any other variant so can't speak to that, but I've thought local wild boar tastes worlds better than domesticated pig for what it's worth? Like a cross between pork and beef almost.
Also piglets are super cute and hyper intelligent and I can't bring myself to eat pig anymore.

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Dec 7, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GD_American posted:

Edible, but potentially hazardous and not as good as commercial pork. Most folks I know that have been eating wild hog for years have had at least one bout of brucellosis.

In general, I leave dead hogs where they lay, throw them in the gut pile with unusable parts of deer, or if I have shot several we usually can find a family in that area that is glad to take them.

The deer processing place my father loves up in Petal MS made a deal with him where any hogs he got, he'd turn into sausage and take half of it as his fee.
I have bears (probably just bear singular) so there idea of a gut pile gives me the cold whim whams. Do you compost it?
Trash? Other?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have bears (probably just bear singular) so there idea of a gut pile gives me the cold whim whams. Do you compost it?
Trash? Other?

Vultures and/or coyotes if I had to venture a guess. Depends on where you are in the country, I wouldn’t leave a gut pile lying around in bear country if I was planning on spending time there in the near future.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

There is an age, probably like 13-16, where you can no longer use the excuse “nobody taught me how to do this thing”. Unless you’re like, Amish or have parents that make you live in a closet 23 hours a day, any human can choose to learn how to do things.

Read a book, go on the internet, or ask another person you know “how do you do [thing]?”

There’s a boyinaband song where he gets really upset that he was never taught what laws there are.

It probably won’t be a good defence to use when he gets prosecuted for being a nonce, though.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/Dani_19_93/status/1600310831979401217

TinTower posted:

There’s a boyinaband song where he gets really upset that he was never taught what laws there are.

It probably won’t be a good defence to use when he gets prosecuted for being a nonce, though.

Also, I dunno how it is in the UK, but...as a :patriot:, I definitely remember being taught "what laws there are". Like, a LOT, in fact.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
https://twitter.com/insultsrare/status/1600164006135681025?t=9KnXrX8YuxBkUsNLEEi7fA&s=19

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Nah Gary Busey was a fed, not one of the Dead Presidents

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

It heavily depends on the animal. A large old boar is going to be nasty. A young pig is pretty drat good and can be smoked or grilled whole for a fun party treat. Also depends on what they've been eating. Pigs living in corn fields taste different from pigs living in landfills. It's relatively common to live trap hogs and feed them corn for a couple weeks before slaughter to make them taste better.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Also this. See the above post about hunting pigs being equated with hunting elephants. Just herds of mythical bulletproof elephant sized hogs roaming the countryside.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And other people in the 19th c have done it but with elephants, is that what you're going for?

Atticus_1354 has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Dec 7, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
to be totally fair, if you're hunting wild hog in somewhere like the everglades swamps, you're probably coming out with some parasite ridden boar with all sorts of new diseases

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I laughed way too hard at this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I thought this was a before and after set and was really impressed for a minute

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

How do you spend $UK14k on frosted tips and a bottle of hair gel?

E: 20k, gently caress.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The way it's worded makes it sound like he received 6k in revenue from trying to look like David Beckham and he just couldn't overcome the cost of the initial investment, maybe he can get some VCs to keep him afloat until his books are in the green.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Dachshundofdoom posted:

The way it's worded makes it sound like he received 6k in revenue from trying to look like David Beckham and he just couldn't overcome the cost of the initial investment, maybe he can get some VCs to keep him afloat until his books are in the green.

Sounds like a potential goon project...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Also this. See the above post about hunting pigs being equated with hunting elephants. Just herds of mythical bulletproof elephant sized hogs roaming the countryside.

Twitter is coming from itt now so this is the last I'll add to it: african elephants were taken with marginal .22 calibers successfully and so where wild boar. There is nothing people won't suggest .22's for. That does not make elephants into hogs, jesus

Hogs are not buffalo, but they are much harder shot than small deer or something else fragile where a regular ubiquitous north american 5.56 AR-15 could be a maybe thing as a hunting rifle choice. An AR-10 or even larger custom varaiant is a much better starting point for hunters, but even then .308 winchester isn't large in european wild boar standards. US hunting circles are way too cavalier about every. single. thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boars are hunting coded which is right wing adjacent which means lefties online have to histrionically pretend like wild boars are made out of circus meat so they can be smug about it.

"Wild boars" in NA are all feral pigs descended from domestic animals brought over starting in the 17th century, they are not indigenous. The only ones that are wild are escaped Russian boars that were released here in the 30's for hunting purposes. They taste like pork, because they loving are pork. You take a pig off a farm and put it in the wild and in the very next generation the piglets will start to grow hair and tusks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Twitter is coming from itt now so this is the last I'll add to it: african elephants were taken with marginal .22 calibers successfully and so where wild boar. There is nothing people won't suggest .22's for. That does not make elephants into hogs, jesus

Hogs are not buffalo, but they are much harder shot than small deer or something else fragile where a regular ubiquitous north american 5.56 AR-15 could be a maybe thing as a hunting rifle choice. An AR-10 or even larger custom varaiant is a much better starting point for hunters, but even then .308 winchester isn't large in european wild boar standards. US hunting circles are way too cavalier about every. single. thing.

Not doing a good job of living up to your name there, John

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zoux posted:

"Wild boars" in NA are all feral pigs descended from domestic animals brought over starting in the 17th century

There were also European wild hogs intentionally shipped over and released.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Platystemon posted:

There were also European wild hogs intentionally shipped over and released.

Oh drat I should've noted that in my post.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Not doing a good job of living up to your name there, John

It's histrironic

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/MCmuckraker/status/1600449275334250496

"bold strategy lets see if it works"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zoux posted:

Oh drat I should've noted that in my post.

Well I disagree.

I think that you should have left that part out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Strong Denver Fenton Allen vibes

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Boars are hunting coded which is right wing adjacent which means lefties online have to histrionically pretend like wild boars are made out of circus meat so they can be smug about it.

"Wild boars" in NA are all feral pigs descended from domestic animals brought over starting in the 17th century, they are not indigenous. The only ones that are wild are escaped Russian boars that were released here in the 30's for hunting purposes. They taste like pork, because they loving are pork. You take a pig off a farm and put it in the wild and in the very next generation the piglets will start to grow hair and tusks.

We do have Javelinas in parts of Texas and Arizona that are native to North and South America. I haven't read up on it but I would have to assume they are being outcompeted by feral pigs though. They are a lot smaller and taste amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

We do have Javelinas in parts of Texas and Arizona that are native to North and South America. I haven't read up on it but I would have to assume they are being outcompeted by feral pigs though. They are a lot smaller and taste amazing.

Yeah but those guys don't get above like, 60 lbs.

I mean the issues with wild pig meat are the same issues as with any game meat: it's unregulated, so it's likely to have parasites, diseases, and not have been fed on a scientifically composed diet intended to grow fat, flavorful pigs. Trichinosis effectively does not exist within the controlled commercial pork industry. Not the case with wild pork.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

zoux posted:

Trichinosis effectively does not exist within the controlled commercial pork industry.

Not entirely sure I trust this statement anymore, thanks to Trump deciding that pig farms get to self regulate

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Just herds of mythical bulletproof elephant sized hogs roaming the countryside.
Spoken like somebody who's never played Rimworld. :colbert:

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Wouldn’t wild hog make good eating? I’ve eaten bear, I can only imagine hog would taste better.

My brother in law was a gamekeeper and wild hogs do make really good eating. Don't eat it rare if you're worried about parasites I guess? It's usually made in a stew and it's normal to eat in this part of Europe whenever it's available.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Jesus posted:

My brother in law was a gamekeeper and wild hogs do make really good eating. Don't eat it rare if you're worried about parasites I guess? It's usually made in a stew and it's normal to eat in this part of Europe whenever it's available.

Would never eat wild hogs. I can only imagine the dangerous chemical concoctions running through Travolta's system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Central Europe has problems with radioactive hogs.

It’s bioaccumulation from Chernobyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

now here's one of my favorite kinds of tweets, where a guy is flabbergasted that people who like things will freely praise them and give money to people who make good art/games/music/whatever:

https://twitter.com/quill18/status/1600277862350786561

People like Thing? They're freely giving away their money and their good word just because they like it? Surely they're insane.