Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Useful for embarks: the embark_profiles.txt in \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\prefs uses the same wording as the embark profiles in the original game. Thus, you can simply copy paste the embark_profiles.txt from the Peridexis Errant Pack into the steam folder above to get all the embark profiles available.

The only exception is that the OG has the architecture skill which seems to be missing from the Steam version, and most embark profiles have that. It doesn't crash, just you have to select a different skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I essentially killed my first fort. I was getting things up and running, starting to fill out my administrators.

It was winter and the river froze, the console wanted to expand further to the west but freshly drunk off a recent batch of dwarven wine the fools dug into the frozen river. The next day the river begin to thaw and came pouring down the hallway and further into the fledgling fort. The expedition leader sat helpless trapped in his new office space, his life only briefly saved by the fine craftdwarfvesmanship of the stone door.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm so happy this is out, I want a gang tag but I cannot remember any of my old adventures... so I'm posting here to remember details about the Wizard's Guide to Self Control. :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anything fun I can do with artifact mechanisms? A legendary mechanic is good enough for me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Danaru posted:

Anything fun I can do with artifact mechanisms? A legendary mechanic is good enough for me

Are artifacts still immune to magma?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
depending on what they're made of, sure

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've come up with something that I think might be worth going into the OP as a tip after being woken up because of a bad dream during the night caused me to toy with work order triggers, which seem incredibly powerful.

For example, you can create a trigger for when there's no more bins which will have the manager add a work order for a number of bins to fill up the bin stockpile instead of producing many of them in one go.

You'll presumably also want to set some priority for the dorf making the bins, but I assume that's still in-game somewhere.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Alright I dug up some old screenshots, and while its been a long time since its happened ... I still do remember trying to track down the dwarf who wrote the wizard's guide to self-control.

I remember this was when the books update came out. I was rifling through all the books written in legends mode. Mostly simple stuff like textbooks on animal husbandry and (auto)biographies, like any good world history. I found the wizard one because, "wait, what did Toady stealth add wizards?" but turns out this guy was just self-important and indulgent.

(screenshot from 2015, holy moly I've been playing this game so long)

Dude loved to challenge people to footraces and lose. I feebly tried to find him in adventure mode, but I didn't have the patience for figuring out how to navigate fortresses generated by the game.

I love this game.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Complications posted:

I thought this was a joke but good god it wasn't. The Bay12 forums appear to be getting hugged to death though so this link may not work for a bit.

The best part was the OP floated the "trapped weeping in a flesh prison" theory as a joke

then Toady confirmed it:stare: :cry:

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 7, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i did a whoops~

pretty manageable though, just sending it down into the cave below

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Does anyone know why my dwarfs have a stockpile full of empty mugs and empty bins and don't just put the mugs in the bins

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I had to deconstruct my trade depot 3 seasons after the trader "departed on his journey" but never actually left. Thanks for all the stuff, but hopefully I don't get boned in the long run

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

woke kaczynski posted:

More research from the Deck: there's a custom controller profile called "Easy Dwarf Fortress" that adds some nice radial menus and all that makes it even better to play, and is a good basis for further customization if you want. I genuinely played like 2 hours straight without even noticing haha

As a fellow deck owner I appreciate your work on this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

canepazzo posted:

Another hot tip for the OP: you can create multiple bedrooms at once by selecting "multi" when zoning a bedroom, then painting the whole area: every enclosed room with a bed will become a separate bedroom.

you have successfully enraged me, i hope you're happy

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Finally home with all of my obligations discharged. I haven't been able to play yet, but I would like a :siren:gang tag:siren: so I'll relate a story of mine from the days of yore.

Once upon a time in like 2014

I did a cave dive fort where I dug straight into the caverns and carved bedrooms out of the stalagmites and stuff. I had a heavily fortified entrance up top, and everything was going swimmingly. At one point a minotaur showed up on the surface but I figured I'd just let him hang out while I finished arming/armoring my military. However, a forgotten beast got into the cavern, even though I'd thought I'd sealed it up, and started wreaking havoc. My military wasn't doing great against it, but luckily I'd been trapping and taming all sorts of cave creatures, so I just released them all to swarm the beast. Unfortunately it was a snail-like creature so most blows hit its shell and did nothing.

In the middle of all this I got a migrant wave that included a legendary weaponsmith. In a desperate bid to save her life I drafted the other six migrants into a makeshift militia and ordered them to attack the minotaur to hopefully buy her enough time to reach the entrance. I then went back down to monitor the forgotten beast fight. My frame rate was crushed by all of the animals roaming around, but eventually a baby punched in the monster's skull and pierced the brain. With everything settled I decided to see what was happening on the surface.

The weaponsmith had made it into the fortress, and all of the militia were still alive but unconscious on the surface. The minotaur was standing over one of them doing ~something~. I checked the combat logs to see that it had gored everyone in the spine, paralyzing them, and then had picked up a silk glove and had been slapping an unconscious dwarf with it for several in-game days. The glove didn't do any damage, so it kept just whacking and whacking and whacking until a goblin invasion showed up and killed it and the remaining dwarfs.

This is the story I tell every time to explain to people why Dwarf Fortress rocks.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

canepazzo posted:

Useful for embarks: the embark_profiles.txt in \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\prefs uses the same wording as the embark profiles in the original game. Thus, you can simply copy paste the embark_profiles.txt from the Peridexis Errant Pack into the steam folder above to get all the embark profiles available.

The only exception is that the OG has the architecture skill which seems to be missing from the Steam version, and most embark profiles have that. It doesn't crash, just you have to select a different skill

This made me go digging in the Steam files and it looks like a lot of the classic config files are still intact. Most importantly \data\init\announcements.txt where it looks like you can set more conditions for some announcements that you might want to highlight better such as migrant waves, strange moods, merchants etc. I haven't tested this, but the way some critical events just get eaten by the announcements bar on the left is very frustrating and I hope this config provides a little more granular control.

Edit: Aside from a couple of QoL gripes and having to re-learn a whole lot of keybinds and new systems, the Steam version is great and I hope Zach and Tarn make a fortune off it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
anyone having trouble naming dwarves on embark? i get the cursor to type but it wont respond to typing.

edit: apparently bugged on embark, but works once you start.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 7, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I answered my own question, though other people may also have done so.

If you want to disable cooking/brewing cookable/brewables, including precious seeds:

Labor menu -> Kitchen tab. If you know what this means, you can take it from here.

My year passed quietly, like some kind of emergent storygaming RPG experience, although some mysterious entity killed my two male dogs - fortunately they have left Issues. The geese have reproduced, and I have prepared to put in a Crop. Migrants snuck in when I wasn't paying attention, but I'm sure they're all fine, especially the necromancer mechanic.

He seems nice.

I would also like the tag tho, replace Traditional Games with it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Khanstant posted:

anyone having trouble naming dwarves on embark? i get the cursor to type but it wont respond to typing.

Just tested it, I cannot figure it out either! Seems to be a bug.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

drat all these stories are incredible lol. I picked right back up from 10 years ago pretty easily! Tarn and team really did a fantastic job here, just incredible really…. I mean I totally forgot to make dinner until like 9pm wtf.

I’m going to miss therapist when I hit like 25 dwarfs I imagine. I can’t wait to gently caress with minecarts and poo poo!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Architecture appears to be part of masonry now

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I designated a tavern complete with room for dance floor, a stockpile of booze, a few instruments and goblets, and a couple of rooms for rent. I opened it up to the public. Probably a mistake, I'm sure a vampire or something will come to visit eventually. But it's fun for now. We had a human bard come to visit and my dwarves are loving LOVING IT

Apparently, "Recluses Ever Onward" is a big hit around these parts.

I had other things I meant to do tonight but I figured I'd pop in and see how the new UI plays for a few minutes after dinner and oops it's 5 hours later now

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 7, 2022

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I'd love to go for the gang tag, so here's a very small and dumb story

I laughed so hard when I modded the game files to change goblin body temperature to several thousand degrees. At first this had no effect on world generation. When the vile force of darkness stepped foot on my land however, that's when the game remembered their impossible physiology. As soon as I un-paused, the besieging goblins would spectacularly erupt into ribbons of boiling blood and flaming organs. I seem to remember this set everything above ground on fire too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does lava have pressure? I.e. if I dig a vertical shaft next to a volcano, and dig the bottom of it into the magma reservoir, will it get pushed up that shaft from the weight of all the lava higher up in the volcano or just fill the bottom z layer like how minecraft fluids work?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Does lava have pressure? I.e. if I dig a vertical shaft next to a volcano, and dig the bottom of it into the magma reservoir, will it get pushed up that shaft or just fill the bottom z layer like how minecraft fluids work?

Yes they have pressure but iirc if you make them travel through a diagonal corner it removes the pressure

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yes they have pressure but iirc if you make them travel through a diagonal corner it removes the pressure

i am going to laugh extremely hard if this, or any other key exploit, was quietly patched for the steam release and some lucky goon determines it experimentally

relatedly, i will keep you guys informed about saltwater

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 7, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Somehow both better and worse than I expected.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Speaking of milk, saw some noobies on the subreddit make a "shocking" discovery. Brings me back :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i played 10 hours of this today and god help me i feel the itch to play more

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Porkness posted:

I'd love to go for the gang tag, so here's a very small and dumb story

I laughed so hard when I modded the game files to change goblin body temperature to several thousand degrees. At first this had no effect on world generation. When the vile force of darkness stepped foot on my land however, that's when the game remembered their impossible physiology. As soon as I un-paused, the besieging goblins would spectacularly erupt into ribbons of boiling blood and flaming organs. I seem to remember this set everything above ground on fire too.

God that is hilarious.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

Speaking of milk, saw some noobies on the subreddit make a "shocking" discovery. Brings me back :)

well yes, they have a surplus for export, because you wouldn't feed a baby dwarf something nonalcoholic

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Soap is the only item dwarves will use to sterilize a wound. While dwarves are of course aware that humans will pour perfectly quaffable alcohol over their bloody wounds and onto the filthy ground to get the same effect, dwarves understand that some things are more precious than a single life, and face oblivion with a bit more dignity. The application of extreme heat is also well known to prevent infections and seal a wound, but dwarves consider magma the only legitimate heat source, and the non-lethal application of magma is sacrilege.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

All my old fortress screenshots are on non-functioning computers so instead I will share my favorite unintended feature

1) Dwarven women would not voluntarily put their babies down, and will go about whatever tasks they were doing while still holding the baby, including combat
2) Babies were (are still?) completely indestructible.
1+2= Babies made surprisingly good melee weapons

I imagine a proud Dwarf parent talking about how little Urist killed his first goblin today and you just know Mom did most of it

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 7, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

drat my guys are dying of thirst. The game runs so fast I didn't manage to make anything for the first caravan either.

How do I build a well? Apparently it needs a floor, and empty space in below Z-level. But one doesnt' seem to be enough? Does it need multiple empty z-levels below the floor I want to construct a well? I made a channel from river which fills a room with floodgate. I guess I need to make the room multiple Z-levels full?

Sadly my miner dwarf was in the channel somehow and he drowned, when the channel was connected to river. The well water will probably be poisoned now.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

toasterwarrior posted:

Hell, one could say 70USD honestly still isn't enough for all the work that goes into a modern videogame, but I digress.
Including the $40 I pitched in back in the 2D era I've now paid $70 for Dwarf Fortress. No complaints.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I just bought the Steam version after having spent about a decade away from the game. The last time I played, Toady added the Z-Level and the ability to settle in different locations, and that was a bit too much for me to grasp.

However I see that Adventure mode has been removed, and that bums me out because DF Adventure mode has the most interesting roguelike combat I've ever played. Has that been removed for a while or just with the Steam release?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ihmemies posted:

drat my guys are dying of thirst. The game runs so fast I didn't manage to make anything for the first caravan either.

How do I build a well? Apparently it needs a floor, and empty space in below Z-level. But one doesnt' seem to be enough? Does it need multiple empty z-levels below the floor I want to construct a well? I made a channel from river which fills a room with floodgate. I guess I need to make the room multiple Z-levels full?

Sadly my miner dwarf was in the channel somehow and he drowned, when the channel was connected to river. The well water will probably be poisoned now.

It's been a while, but have you made a bucket?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Caufman posted:

I just bought the Steam version after having spent about a decade away from the game. The last time I played, Toady added the Z-Level and the ability to settle in different locations, and that was a bit too much for me to grasp.

However I see that Adventure mode has been removed, and that bums me out because DF Adventure mode has the most interesting roguelike combat I've ever played. Has that been removed for a while or just with the Steam release?

It's getting reimplemented soon, it just couldn't make it in at launch.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im racking my brain trying to figure out how you place a floodgate next to water without it flooding first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Super No Vacancy posted:

im racking my brain trying to figure out how you place a floodgate next to water without it flooding first

You place it in a corridor a spot away from the water, you then channel that spot between the floodgate and the water from above.