Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
think of the suffering almond barons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

The government is currently asking us to limit showering.

Which is a shame because I like long showers.

We have literal propaganda saying every other day is fine.

I mean... what's the alternative? Asking those millionaire mcmansion owners not to water their lawns?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ham Equity posted:

I mean... what's the alternative? Asking those millionaire mcmansion owners not to water their lawns?

I live near the Russian border, we used to buy a bunch of power and natural gas from Russia to get green energy.

Now we don't have that power so it's entirely possible we'll have to start shutting down factories when heating costs hit capacity.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

Is this goons' newest excuse for never showering

we follow the precepts of Karl Marx, especially when it comes to hygiene.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you don’t need to shower that much. in turkey it’s normal to do it twice a week. besides, washing can be dangerous: https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1585203718512906245
:rip:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
you are meant to still clean yourself a bit when you don't shower, which I'm sure isn't news for people who don't post on something awful

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Malicious AIs spamming *everything* with nonsense that is, essentially, indistinguishable from real information is just Kessler Syndrome for the internet, isn't it?

We're going back to books, folks...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Amphigory posted:

Malicious AIs spamming *everything* with nonsense that is, essentially, indistinguishable from real information is just Kessler Syndrome for the internet, isn't it?

this concept comes up in Peter Watts books a lot. the internet in Rifters is exactly that and in Blindsight the sum total of all human communication is posited to be meaningless garbage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Amphigory posted:

:twisted:
finally my librarian skills will be worth money

edit: yeah now that I think about it, there is totally going to be a movement of people who only want to read printed books made before the era of AI. i'm gonna start hording books.......more than i was

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Dec 6, 2022

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rutibex posted:

yeah your PoE builds will be declared strategic weapons in the shitposting wars

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

uber_stoat posted:

this concept comes up in Peter Watts books a lot. the internet in Rifters is exactly that and in Blindsight the sum total of all human communication is posited to be meaningless garbage.

Rifters was a documentary

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the future for a lot of creatives

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/6/23496998/what-its-like-to-be-a-person-whose-job-it-is-to-imitate-a-chatbot

quote:

Writing in literary magazine n+1, Laura Preston tells us what it was like to impersonate Brenda, a chatbot whose fallbacks were “poets and writers with MFAs, but there were also PhDs in performance studies and comparative literature, as well as a number of opera singers.” Getting this talent was possible because, at $25/hr, they got paid better than they would as adjuncts in academia.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
can you maybe next time post a link instead of a link to a link

https://www.nplusonemag.com/issue-44/essays/human_fallback/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

endlessmonotony posted:

natural gas from Russia to get green energy

natural gas is green energy now?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Subjunctive posted:

It's natural.
Right there in the name, come on.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

:allears: it’s green when it needs to be and dirty old dino fuel when it needs to be

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

uber_stoat posted:

i'm reading a fire upon the deep right now, and it's cute how vernor vinge based the internet in that setting on newsgroups of people posting in good faith

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mameluke posted:

can you maybe next time post a link instead of a link to a link

https://www.nplusonemag.com/issue-44/essays/human_fallback/

this link is paywalled op the other one wasn't

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what kind of cspam poster doesn't have an n+1 subscription

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
it rules when people think that dystopian technological job destroyers won’t ever be pointed at them

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

it rules when people think that dystopian technological job destroyers won’t ever be pointed at them

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1600223420473495552

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

we're all just human chatbots if you think about it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

to tie it back to peter watts, i think there was a recent viral tiktok or reddit post discussing that many people don't seem to have internal monologues

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

crafting the perfect replica of a lovely boss by feeding gpt3 a copy of the cia's simple sabotage field manual

lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rutibex posted:

edit: yeah now that I think about it, there is totally going to be a movement of people who only want to read printed books made before the era of AI. i'm gonna start hording books.......more than i was

I'm going to start printing and binding GPT output

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

shrike82 posted:

to tie it back to peter watts, i think there was a recent viral tiktok or reddit post discussing that many people don't seem to have internal monologues

and i envy them

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

absolutely no doom whatsoever. 0/10

reads more like goat marketing material rather than peter watts

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

glad I got to grow up without this garbage and didn’t learn to speak my tongue from a computer 🙏

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

shrike82 posted:

if your internal monologue isn't just an endless incoherent scream, are you even paying attention?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm going to start printing and binding GPT output

i think it's too late for that, gpt-3 has been out for a while. many book publishers and authors have already beaten you to the punch, the literature is tainted.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

haha, this was at the top of the suggest articles list from the same author

An Open Letter To The Electoral College

quote:

I grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

You can’t live here without getting the legacy of the Manhattan Project in your bones. I grew up closer to nukes than most people I knew — my father spent much of my childhood covering them. My family has the cone from a disassembled warhead on a shelf and a bit of the salt excavated from the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in a drawer.

I think that being knee deep in this culture blinded me to the reality of nuclear bombs more than most people are, because working on those was just something that the parents of the kids I knew from school did, and since the work was confidential, they didn’t know the details anyway.

I was always fascinated by the history and the science. There’s enough misinformation about radiation in the world that there’s a mythos of its own around it, and Robert Oppenheimer and the rest of the Manhattan Project always loomed large here. It was something I was fascinated by but also that I took for granted.

The scale of the bomb as a weapon wasn’t something I really comprehended, and when I started to get it, I panicked.

I saw those pictures printed large in a museum in Los Alamos. I’d been studying the human angle of the Manhattan Project, taking classes in college on the people who built the bomb, on the American angle, on how and why we chose to use them, on the spies in the project.

I’m sure it wasn’t even the first time I’d seen those pictures. But it was the first time that the scope of the damage that dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki did.

I was sick to my stomach. It’s the first time I can remember having a panic attack, and it shook the way I thought about the bombs ever since.

We dress the history of nuclear weapons development in patriotism and the story of a world coming together to develop a great project that would stop World War II. It’s hard to tell the stories of the bombings, because the scale of damage is basically incomprehensible to us as individual humans.

I read Letters From the End of the World, a first person account of living through the bombings, and after that, I pretty much took the coward’s way out. I stuck to studying the effects on the West. I tried not to spend much time thinking about how many orders of magnitude more powerful the nuclear weapons we have now are than the weapons that killed hundreds of thousands of people in two cities in 1945.

In a way the bomb is so ubiquitous in our culture that we never have to think deeply about it. The idea of a nuclear apocalypse is the basis of a thousand science fiction stories. We put mushroom clouds in our cartoons. “I have become death, destroyer of worlds” is quoted so much that it’s nearly meaningless. Put that aside, for a minute, and look at Nagasaki.

The bombs we have are bigger and scarier than the bombs we dropped in 1945.

I can’t say for sure that Donald Trump would use the bombs. I can’t say for sure, either, if those under him would stop him from doing so, like so many people hope. But I do know that if there’s even a chance that he would, we cannot have him as the President of the United States.

No matter where your feelings on policy are, please look at those photographs, and realize that if you make Donald Trump our next president — something that is, I will note, against the will of the American people as decided by popular vote — there is a possibility that he will use these weapons. And there is no way to mitigate the damage that they do. They will kill hundreds of thousands of people, including children, and wound and sicken more. They will, likely, launch counter-attacks that would unleash that kind of devastation on our country, too.

Please look at those pictures and let it sink in that not only could that be the cities of any countries that attempt to oppose Donald Trump’s America. And it’s unlikely that we could use nuclear weapons without retaliation, so it’s likely that could be any United States city, too.

There were people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki whose bodies were destroyed so thoroughly that all they left behind were the outlines of their bodies on the ground, and given what it was like to die of wounds and radiation afterwards, this was considered a merciful death. If we end up in a nuclear war, that will happen again.

Any chance of that happening is too high. Please do the right thing.

Sincerely,

Nora Reed
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Written November 10th 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
im pretty sure Trump at no point could have ordered a genuine nuclear strike

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hey remember when we fixed the face recognition algorithms to recognize black people?

spotify doesnt either!

e: thats a static background image

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We will undercut the AI artists by being too dumb to understand them, leaving them powerless

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
with the increasing use of AI powered surveillance i'd say that non-whites being invisible to AI might not be an entirely disadvantageous thing for them

although i somehow get the feeling that the AI models used for that do get plenty of non-white people in their training sets, for some reason, so it probably doesn't apply

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

with the increasing use of AI powered surveillance i'd say that non-whites being invisible to AI might not be an entirely disadvantageous thing for them

although i somehow get the feeling that the AI models used for that do get plenty of non-white people in their training sets, for some reason, so it probably doesn't apply

No that's the fun part. It can't accurately distinguish between them, so you get cops harassing or arresting false positives.

Someone linked a post about it in here a while back.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rutibex posted:

im pretty sure Trump at no point could have ordered a genuine nuclear strike

On January 6th, Pelosi, Pence, and the Joint Chiefs of Staff took control of the nuclear arsenal just in case.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

itskage posted:

No that's the fun part. It can't accurately distinguish between them, so you get cops harassing or arresting false positives.

Someone linked a post about it in here a while back.

ah. right. of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chamale posted:

On January 6th, Pelosi, Pence, and the Joint Chiefs of Staff took control of the nuclear arsenal just in case.

I’m looking forward to the House investigation into this coup.