Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

learning that jimmy wales owns fandom, the for-profit wiki service that has destroyed every single good fan wiki was a real trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah fandom is terrible. i'm playing through morrowind and i'm glad the elder scrolls nerds have their own wiki it's great

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i donated to wikipedia but then got annoyed when they were asking for money again a couple months later. idk what i was expecting. maybe to get a year of no-begs or something 🤷‍♀️

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

learning that jimmy wales owns fandom, the for-profit wiki service that has destroyed every single good fan wiki was a real trip

jimbo sold that off a while ago. four years ago a private equity company picked them up, and i feel that's when they really started going south

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i donate $20 every year to jimmy wales macho info donkey wrestler because i wouldn't have graduated college without wikipedia

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't donate to wiki and i dont feel bad about it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

remember when wales put his face on the donate screens lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah same

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Last Chance posted:

I can't seem to find the FYAD Criterion Collection thread featuring this :\

e: vvv thank you, I think vvv

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 7, 2022

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Last Chance posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Beeftweeter posted:

i donate to wiki and i feel bad about it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol some years I donate, most years I don't. I don't think anyone should feel bad either way.

Same for contributing - I've done a fair bit over the years, including writing a review paper that was also an article and also ended up being part of my PhD thesis through the magic of the CC-BY license - but it's been pretty sporadic. Still, it's been enough that I know how the system works, and how to get factual, verified content into a page in a way that doesn't get deleted/reverted.

Like I've done for that stupid Twitter files article, by adding in, with multiple reliable sources, that the Tweets posted by Taibbi were all dickpics.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

gently caress that piece of poo poo, lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
reminder that the yosvape wiki was on wikia and fandom murdered it

Pitchforks and torches are over there to the left

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
fandom (and wikia before it) will also resist a wiki's attempts to shut down / move; that happened with doomwiki iirc, where they tried to move off of wikia and the wikia admins actually took it over instead

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

when I was in school and we had to learn about the various genitals the teacher read outa fact of "men produce millions of sperm every single day" and a kid at the back went "UH OH" and I still laugh about it like 30 years later

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

when we had that lesson one kid asked a completely honest question of "but what if your penis has two holes?" and the gym teacher completely froze up for what felt like an eternity with this deer in the headlights look on his face i will never forget

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

when we had that lesson one kid asked a completely honest question of "but what if your penis has two holes?" and the gym teacher completely froze up for what felt like an eternity with this deer in the headlights look on his face i will never forget

you can pee in two urinals at the same time [AMA]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

when I was in school and we had to learn about the various genitals the teacher read outa fact of "men produce millions of sperm every single day" and a kid at the back went "UH OH" and I still laugh about it like 30 years later

i lol'd for real @ this

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

reminder that the yosvape wiki was on wikia and fandom murdered it

Pitchforks and torches are over there to the left

this isn't the wiki thread but gently caress bluebird67 or whatever his u/n is

he follows the wiki thread and destroys everything we find funny

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

there's a tool called breezewiki that rips all the fandom poo poo out of wikia sites and also will redirect you to non-fandom wikis if they're more used, it's super nice

Zamujasa posted:

fandom (and wikia before it) will also resist a wiki's attempts to shut down / move; that happened with doomwiki iirc, where they tried to move off of wikia and the wikia admins actually took it over instead

this happened with the warframe wiki as well, but the wiki is covered in banners saying to ignore all the fandom added content on it which is extremely funny

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

imo there's no reason other than racism to be concerned about birthrates

isn’t china and japan facing massive birthrate crises?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

a lot of countries are because who the gently caress can afford to have a kid right now

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

njsykora posted:

there's a tool called breezewiki that rips all the fandom poo poo out of wikia sites and also will redirect you to non-fandom wikis if they're more used, it's super nice

this happened with the warframe wiki as well, but the wiki is covered in banners saying to ignore all the fandom added content on it which is extremely funny

quoting for trivia time next year. kidswiki :drink:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

njsykora posted:

a lot of countries are because who the gently caress can afford to have a kid right now

also women are rightfully more career oriented and know how to use birth control so ya know

control your life

ya know if you're not in texass

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

also women are rightfully more career oriented and know how to use birth control so ya know

control your life

ya know if you're not in texass

yeah but i'm thinking more in terms of people who would actually want to have a kid right now, if they could afford to do all the stuff that having a kid requires

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

njsykora posted:

yeah but i'm thinking more in terms of people who would actually want to have a kid right now, if they could afford to do all the stuff that having a kid requires

oh yeah it's crazy

i really appreciate all the time and money and expense that people put into their children's safety and education but the bar is pretty high

like, if you're a bit of a gently caress up like myself you seek out other people who don't want kids

don't want to spread those donkey brain genes anyway

or ya know the pattern of abuse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kid in my class thought he was gonna menstruate out of his dick & freaked out a lil

i dont think he was paying much attention, he was kinda adhd back when it was called damp

my parents had a vhs with a live birth and stuff like that so i knew what was up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also lol at this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

you can pee in two urinals at the same time [AMA]

it was specifically in relation to ejaculation too, so the gym teacher finally recovered and went "uh yep it'll work just as well"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

echinopsis posted:

yeah but the world as a whole is still making plenty of kids, it’s just a few places that aren’t. so like you can just let some of those younger folks come and live with you. so in the us, the crazy racists tend to be worried about birth rates because they want to keep whites as a majority.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tesla has invented a brand new way for cars to sense things while driving. it's an incredibly unique method where radio waves are sent from the vehicle, and then it measures how long it takes those to return to determine how far away they are. truly, tesla is the king of innovation

https://electrek.co/2022/12/06/tesla-radar-car-next-month-self-driving-suite-concerns/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"I'm not wrong! I'm not wrong!" elon cries as his car skids and turns into an oncoming lane

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

lol oh gee what happened geopolitically in 1933 :thunk:

hitler invaded iraq?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

hitler invaded iraq?

big year for hitler

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

echinopsis posted:

in japan it's only a "crisis" because they refuse to let people immigrate. I don't really know anything about china's population business but 35 years of the one child policy was sure to have some repercussions and their welfare state isn't like japan's. that said their internal policies are super racist and the government's attitude seems to be that han people are the only "real" chinese folks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

I don't really know anything about china

u can just leave it here u know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

u can just leave it here u know

this is yospos, i don't think they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Always be posting, especially if you don't know what you are talking about.