Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That looks super good, it's neat to have a more sustained sequence of areas I recognize and see how they've been updated. I don't mind Isaac going all talky, I got used to it in the sequels and I don't really love the whole silent protagonist thing in these sorts of games anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm playing through Fobia (up to the second boss now) and I've largely been really enjoying it, except I've repeatedly been unable to tell whether or not I'm supposed to be able to solve a given puzzle. I solved a chess-themed one wayyy in advance because I could intuit the solution, but there's any number of other safes/locks that I'm less clear on.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If the remake doesn't tell you five times in ten minutes to cut off their limbs, is it really being faithful to the original

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

cut off their limbs written in blood on a wall, get two separate calls from the other characters telling you that their limbs are the weak points, find three different audio logs talking about it, watch as an enemy is torn apart by a fan or something

then have isaac say "looks like i should cut off their limbs" during the first combat encounter

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Have the camera zoom in as your reticle locks onto the space zombie's leg, and the game cannot progress until you acknowledge the popup tip and press the fire button

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

0 rows returned posted:

cut off their limbs written in blood on a wall, get two separate calls from the other characters telling you that their limbs are the weak points, find three different audio logs talking about it, watch as an enemy is torn apart by a fan or something

then have isaac say "looks like i should cut off their limbs" during the first combat encounter

He does! But so long as he doesn't start talking to himself about puzzle solutions I don't mind.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

"hmm looks like i can put these two extremely large batteries in these two extremely large glowing slots over here"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Isaac, it looks like you're trying out the Engineer RIG...it's been a while, hasn't it? You remember how movement works, don't you - of course you do, try pressing up on the thumbstick to move forward"

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
wait, you're supposed to cut off their limbs?

:dafuq:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bugblatter posted:

I think the complaints with co-op aren't that it sucks, but that progress only carries for the host. So the other person has to play a level twice to continue together? At least that's what I heard, haven't purchased it yet.

It's on my wishlist for whenever it hits a decent sale. Looks good, and the older style of game design that focuses on core combat without frills is much more up my alley. Just seems extremely likely to get a post-Christmas price dip.

That is not how it works in the slightest lol. You can co-op just fine and progress through the story together all the way till the end, the kicker is it only counts for the host's save. No need for the co-op partner to replay the same levels just to be able to join for the next one. Both players can customize their perks and upgrades how they want individually and the game gives you the choice for the co-op partner to remember their build or just reset it every time you boot up the multiplayer save.

Theoretically if the co-op partner wanted to play single player or be the host then yes, you would start all over at the beginning but the game makes the pretty clear when you start a multiplayer lobby.

Game is very good and unless you're trying to be super frugal is very much worth full price.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm pretending Evil West is the sequel to PS2 era banger horror shooter Darkwatch.

e: Really disappointed by Isaac's flat Hank Hill butt in the remake.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 6, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

0 rows returned posted:

"hmm looks like i can put these two extremely large batteries in these two extremely large glowing slots over here"

"Oh man, I haven't used a Anti-Material Cannon since my time in the military! Top of my class, let's see if I still got what it takes."

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm playing through Fobia (up to the second boss now) and I've largely been really enjoying it, except I've repeatedly been unable to tell whether or not I'm supposed to be able to solve a given puzzle. I solved a chess-themed one wayyy in advance because I could intuit the solution, but there's any number of other safes/locks that I'm less clear on.

There are a number of non-essential puzzles that are extremely arcane, and that seem like you won’t be able to solve until later but can in fact do immediately. Honestly if you’re really stuck on something you may want to just look it up.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Dead Space is a weird blind spot for me considering my other tastes. I played and loved 2, but bounced off 1 back in the day after about an hour for reasons I don't remember, and have never gone back to it.

Do we have any reason to think the original might hold up better as a survival horror experience? That 18 minutes of the remake looks fine/good, but something about it has me wondering if it'll miss the horror mark slightly. Might be a silly concern, but curious if anyone who loved the original also thinks it'll still hold up better based on what we've seen of the remake. Horror media can be sensitive to losing things through new coats of paint or technical innovation.

EDIT: I suppose what I'm getting at is, I'm super tempted to just go and pick up the original game now, but I don't know if that's stupid impatience and a waste of time this close to a remake that I guess still looks like it'll be good.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 6, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Dead Space 1 and 2 are powerful in that they're well made and have good art direction so they still look pretty good and are still pretty spooky. Every time I think of horror in DS1 I remember the part where the necromorphs are flooding the ship with poison and you have to find the biological breathers they made by welding some poor bastard to the ground with necromorph flesh and making his lungs into a giant balloon and you have to hear him breath until you execute him and it's a very terrible sound. Sure an experienced DS player can clear all three games with plasma cutter shots but it's still a very fun, aggressively spooky action experience.

Honestly as good as that 18 minute preview looks it's still the same game and I already own it so I can't get the hype going that you'd have for say Resident Evil 2 Remake. It is a great graphical upgrade though so far. Maybe if they preview the "open world" segments? Need some new gameplay meat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dead Space is more power fantasy but it’s like Batman being dropped in Event Horizon, they really have to up the ante to balance that Isaac is a walking super hero so monsters can kill you as ruthlessly as you can decapitate or magically launch poo poo at them. It’s a very extra game, very loud and screaming in your face gets the adrenaline pumping and I don’t think monsters randomly spawn but sometimes they are lurking independent of your positioning so it’s a shock when you’re in the real-time menu and get stabbed in the back.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dead Space 1 still looks great, but plenty of parts in it have aged poorly. The atrocious asteroid shooting bit, some of the boss fights are very annoying, the space-walking, the (IMO) pretty wretched story (it's extremely surprising to me that people even remember a character like Hammond, let alone would care about his voice actor).

It remains to be seen how different the new game will be overall, but from what we've seen I can't imagine it making many choices that wouldn't be a direct improvement over the first game. It looks mostly the same, but prettier. My hope is that they change more than expected, especially WRT the story/ending, but they probably won't. Wait and see, I guess!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 6, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dead space’s story was perfectly functional. you had backstory, motivation, interpersonal conflict, last-minute twist/betrayal. none of the parts were exceptional but they were all there and fit together fine, which unfortunately puts it above the majority of horror games today

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I almost alt-f4'ed Signalis yesterday after getting the fakeout ending. It booted me back to the main menu with the new background and I selected quit and the game started back up. What the gently caress. Don't do that. If i were playing in a window I would have clicked the X to close the window. Yikes

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm probably about halfway through Callisto Protocol, and I don't hate it. It's not close to being as good as Dead Space was, but it's not TERRIBLE. I'm playing the PS5 version which has proven to be a very good call considering the problems the other versions have.

Some of my complaints/bummers:
- Bad checkpointing, and only saving to the checkpoint when you do a manual save.
- The melee combat is an interesting idea that doesn't work super well in practise and completely falls apart when there's more than one enemy attacking you.
- The gravity glove is a fun idea, but again doesn't really work that well in practise. The amount of energy you have for it is pitifully poo poo, and unless you can throw the enemies into one of the conveniently placed wood chippers it doesn't really do anything either. The energy also charges back extremely slowly.
- Until you get significant upgrades for them, all the firearms feel uselessly puny.
- The story makes no loving sense, is cliched beyond belief and honestly feels like someone ripped off half the pages at random and then made a game.

It's like someone set out to make a Dead Space copy without understanding what made the Dead Space idea work so well, ie. weapons designed to make chopping off limbs easy and fun. It's pretty funny when you consider this was made by (one of the guys from) the Dead Space team. Like how the gently caress do you make a game where chopping off limbs is a central idea, and then just give the players very boring standard shooter guns?

Now that I say all this out loud maybe I don't like Callisto Protocol as much as I thought? Looks nice though, and it has that lady from The Boys in it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

I almost alt-f4'ed Signalis yesterday after getting the fakeout ending. It booted me back to the main menu with the new background and I selected quit and the game started back up. What the gently caress. Don't do that. If i were playing in a window I would have clicked the X to close the window. Yikes

I thought that was a cool thing they did that took some balls on their part.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hakkesshu posted:

(it's extremely surprising to me that people even remember a character like Hammond, let alone would care about his voice actor).

I think you misread that. People were shocked that the level of acting Hammond's new va gives is acceptable, not a 'look what they did to my boy' kind of thing

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I always have my doubts when a success of a video game is credited to one bloke. I watched some making of about Dead Space and remember Glen Schofield coming off as a bit of a prick to his staff and then you had all that stuff about them looking at photos of real corpses and it's bit like ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I thought that was Mortal Kombat but I'll never get over looking at corpses for a cartoon as hell game and nothing in Mortal Kombat or Dead Space is more extreme than like Galaxy of Terror

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I think you misread that. People were shocked that the level of acting Hammond's new va gives is acceptable, not a 'look what they did to my boy' kind of thing

no? they meant the latter. the original VA was decent. this new one is not

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

al-azad posted:

I thought that was Mortal Kombat but I'll never get over looking at corpses for a cartoon as hell game and nothing in Mortal Kombat or Dead Space is more extreme than like Galaxy of Terror

It was probably both but in like 2008 i was suuuper into the hype build up for Dead Space and remember it being a well known thing that the artists looked at photos of car crash victims for inspiration for the necromorphs/corpses. Even then i was like that's lame and dumb.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

no? they meant the latter. the original VA was decent. this new one is not

No looking back at when people were talking about it it's a "wow this is bad. Original guy wasn't great but this is bad" which is what I said

E: I think we're talking past each other a little here, sorry. I think we mean the same things

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 6, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bumhead posted:

Dead Space is a weird blind spot for me considering my other tastes. I played and loved 2, but bounced off 1 back in the day after about an hour for reasons I don't remember, and have never gone back to it.

DS1's biggest problem is that it severely drags its heels in its last third, where it runs out of new enemies to throw at you and the plot lingers interminably in the "please go fix the space gizmo, isaac" mode of storytelling that DS1 largely favors. DS2 obviously leans way more into action than horror, and i cringe whenever i think about all the stupid jumpscares they shoehorned in, but its pacing is top notch and encounter variety and resource scarcity are balanced out in a way that meant i was never bored of the game (with the sole exception of a couple segments in the mine)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dead Island 2 showcase

https://youtu.be/wMrwcmG3eqk

E: humor is a little much but it looks fun! Weird way to showcase it though

Trailer is from about 5:22 to 9:20

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 6, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My opinion of Callisto Protocol waffles wildly between 'this game is ok' and 'this game is hot garbage'. There's a section where you ride a train platform and enemies constantly hop on. Lots of them. And they instantly evolve into their tough form which kills in two hits if they get hits in, which they will because apparently you can't dodge if you're aiming a gun? So I die, and the checkpointing is bad so it resets to the room before where I have no health so I have to run around the platform beforehand and juggle inventory so I can get injectors out of the many chests they've strewn about the platform. Every time.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SettingSun posted:

My opinion of Callisto Protocol waffles wildly between 'this game is ok' and 'this game is hot garbage'. There's a section where you ride a train platform and enemies constantly hop on. Lots of them. And they instantly evolve into their tough form which kills in two hits if they get hits in, which they will because apparently you can't dodge if you're aiming a gun? So I die, and the checkpointing is bad so it resets to the room before where I have no health so I have to run around the platform beforehand and juggle inventory so I can get injectors out of the many chests they've strewn about the platform. Every time.

The strat to follow is if you can see where they spawn in, you can shoot the tentacles on their chest before they evolve and they'll die without evolving.

You should be able to dodge while aiming, but if you're locked in an animation of some kind you can't dodge.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jeep posted:

There are a number of non-essential puzzles that are extremely arcane, and that seem like you won’t be able to solve until later but can in fact do immediately. Honestly if you’re really stuck on something you may want to just look it up.

I'm out of the hotel, and there wound up just being one puzzle I needed to look up- and it's because of a combo of "the solution numbers are illegibly faint" and "this one time, out of all the game, you have to shoot something in the environment" in a single puzzle.

It's very weird what counts as a big secret and what counts as a small one, though.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 7, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

The strat to follow is if you can see where they spawn in, you can shoot the tentacles on their chest before they evolve and they'll die without evolving.

You should be able to dodge while aiming, but if you're locked in an animation of some kind you can't dodge.

Yeah, you should think of the dodge as the Dark Souls shield block. You can avoid all damage so long as you aren't in an attack animation (either shooting or swinging). You just alternate holding left or right on the stick instead of letting off the block to let stamina come back. So, you just do that until there's an opening in the enemy combo. The openings are fairly clearly telegraphed because they swing so far they are no longer fully facing you.

The only other thing to manage is enemy spacing in groups. The best way to do that is to get distance from a group while dodging then use the GRIP to pull one close. Launching with the GRIP uses a lot of energy and you should only do it when there's a death trap to put a strong enemy into, but pulling hardly uses any energy at all and you can do it much more often. Just be careful not to use all the energy before it recharges or you have to pop into the menu to load a new battery.

I finished my second run on the middle difficulty with only two deaths in the entire game after figuring all that out, but it took an entire run to understand it all. They do a terrible job of teaching the player.

Edit: one more thing that helped my second run is, just like Dead Space, if you only buy the guns you want you will only get ammo for them, so you never have to mess with the terrible weapon menu switching because you ran dry on ammo for one. A fully upgraded pistol and shotgun are all you need, the latter is an automatic story upgrade, so just put all your money into upgrading those, the baton, and the GRIP.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 7, 2022

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
It isn’t on the level of Dead Space, but I’m on chapter 3 and so far I’m digging it. The melee is good once you get a hang of it, it’s very novel and reminds me of the period when everyone was big on experimenting with dual stick controls for combat.

I think a lot of the problems are from managing expectations by the developers. “Spiritual sequel to Dead Space” has a very specific meaning, so to invoke DS for hype and then present a game that has Uncharted levels of linearity and an extensive focus on melee combat is setting yourself up for problems.

I do wish there had been a little more world building prior to getting into the poo poo. Callisto just jumps into it all with the quickness of a B- horror flick that is doing its best to even hit the 84 minute mark.

I am mad that I wasn’t able to play on PC because of the tech issues and had to settle for the PS5 version. I have a PC specifically so I can play these games without limitations, so if you’re going to code your game so poorly that a 3090 can’t handle it, why loving bother?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

bloodysabbath posted:

I am mad that I wasn’t able to play on PC because of the tech issues and had to settle for the PS5 version. I have a PC specifically so I can play these games without limitations, so if you’re going to code your game so poorly that a 3090 can’t handle it, why loving bother?

They just released another 10GB patch that might do some work to un-gently caress it. The first patch already improved things significantly but I was still getting annoying amounts of hitching, hopefully this gets rid of those.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Some of that unintended Callisto Protocol gameplay looks vaguely like Resident Evil 6.

Shame that it's all buggy and unintended because RE6's combat was super fun.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

SettingSun posted:

I threw every single enemy off the edge. The chests have piles of GRP energy cell in them. I remember laughing to myself how easy this section was.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 7, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes the chests do and sometimes they're just full of pistol ammo. My successful run ended up throwing them all off and had enough energy for that, the preceding five or six attempts did not.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A couple things helped me get through that section. Firstly I turned the difficulty down to minimum so I could survive a few more hits (seriously, two swipes from a mutated one was fatal). Second, I turned up the sensitivity of aiming which was otherwise painfully slow (which became an issue during the fight right after this, which I will talk about shortly). Third, the tip to eliminate them before they transform was great, but I couldn't get them all but I could throw most of the rest off. I would have loved to toss all of them off but there all told were more than a dozen of them and in none of my tries was there enough GRP juice to support it.

The mini boss right afterward was annoying. Can you melee it in normal circumstances? Even on minimum a single swipe was lethal and the dodge was a wide one which left me way out of melee range (and the camera in a weird place which made shooting counters painful until I messed with the sensitivity).

Not related to the above but I never really saw a lot of reporting on the stealth sections of the game, which I find the easiest of all. Hilariously, stealth killing things is not a noise making event so it is a matter of patience to methodically crawl behind every blind zombie and shank them. You can get really close to them and they don't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's pretty clear they don't want you to melee 2head, just hold dodge and run if it's managed to get close to you. Turn and shoot when you have some distance, or if there's objects lying around you can throw it at it.

I found that grabbing props doesn't actually cost you GRP juice which is really nice for some extra damage of there's stuff around the arena you can grab.

Tbh the game is pretty fairly balanced on the Medium difficulty if you engage with all the systems, and I only had difficulty in one particular spot due to running low on ammo.