Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Not mine, but here is a buddy's first DF experience after getting the Steam version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Triskelli posted:

I think it takes a little extra digging, but I've seen that you can get up to 16x16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2svVhM7MYZI

Thanks. I don't particularly care about performance, just want to make a Big Fort

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Peewi posted:

Some cave alligators made it into my fort and had to be killed. Now their corpses are just lying there and no one is taking them to the corpse stockpile I set up outside.

They did however put the dead monster slayers in the corpse stockpile, rather than burying them in the tombs I set up.

This is true, either I'm misremembering something, or you can no longer get meat and stuff from combat kills/mangled corpses.
I've also had a ton of loose teeth lying around on the ground, and it seemed nobody would use them for crafting.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I dug out that "giant" throne room since I realized you can see multiple z levels now. Part way through I realized I could collapse the floors between the pillars to save time.

This turned out great until I noticed a corpse on the first level and noticed this message:

I think the corpse might be coated with Basalt, but I can't be sure. Also another Dwarf's blood, but I can't find any dwarf named "Kib Staffflanks" in the fortress so :shrug:

All to build this "giant" throne room. Note the stairs to Kib's crypt on the left.

From 3 floors up!

I made the room into a dining room for now, since we have a ton of extra tables because I had a broken work order making infinite tables. Basically carved out this big space and made it into tables.

And the rest of the main level of the fort,

I might retire this fort because I kinda chose a boring spot that also has poor resources, but that was a fun little refresher on how to build one with bonus dwarf death.

Can I get the gangtag for my little story?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What's the quickest way to get all the wagon goods inside, so the dwarfs stop having to wander upstairs out into the rain for their drinks?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Triskelli posted:

What's the quickest way to get all the wagon goods inside, so the dwarfs stop having to wander upstairs out into the rain for their drinks?

Set up a stockpile inside and when choosing what kind of stockpile it is, first click "All" but then click on Custom and remove Stone and Wood from it. Dorfs should then start moving stuff away from the wagon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Triskelli posted:

Historically, build appropriate stockpiles and some kind of meeting area (you may want to do a non-sectarian temple rather than a tavern to avoid having monster hunters show up and drink your liquor right away), then deconstruct the wagon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nielsm posted:

This is true, either I'm misremembering something, or you can no longer get meat and stuff from combat kills/mangled corpses.
I've also had a ton of loose teeth lying around on the ground, and it seemed nobody would use them for crafting.

I could be wrong but I think it's just that the fallen in combat are automatically marked "forbidden" to prevent the "everyone! Go grab the free socks!" problem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

Historically, build appropriate stockpiles and some kind of meeting area (you may want to do a non-sectarian temple rather than a tavern to avoid having monster hunters show up and drink your liquor right away), then deconstruct the wagon.

Can confirm making a temple is a good idea. Dwarves will soon get bad thoughts from having nowhere to pray.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

nielsm posted:

I don't even want to make stuff out of it, I just want it to not be where everyone is walking past.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

nielsm posted:

Can confirm making a temple is a good idea. Dwarves will soon get bad thoughts from having nowhere to pray.
Yeah temples are a relatively recent addition so I think they get overlooked because they didn't fully enter the folk lore, but setting up a 5x6 airport chapel is a good call. You don't even have to decorate it (you will want to decorate any requested temples).

I had migrants and such show up! If I had a request for Tarn and Kitfox it would be to include an option to set "pause on X with a pop up" for a few key things like migrants arriving and so on.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Nessus posted:

I had migrants and such show up! If I had a request for Tarn and Kitfox it would be to include an option to set "pause on X with a pop up" for a few key things like migrants arriving and so on.

In a pinch, install location>data>init>announcements.txt can be edited to customize what events pause, pop up, and recenter the screen.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

I forgot that I picked this as the symbol of my fortress.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've got a bunch of dwarf corpses in a stockpile outside of my fortress. I have a bunch of coffins installed inside the fortress, marked as tombs, which have automatically assigned themselves to the dead dwarves. But no-one is moving the corpses into the coffins. Claim dead is turned on. What gives?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Now that I can more easily parse the graphics I'm finding myself looking at aesthetics rather than just function, it's incredible.

Also I never realized how many flies there are in bases. My food storage isn't that dirty :negative:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Lemon posted:

I've got a bunch of dwarf corpses in a stockpile outside of my fortress. I have a bunch of coffins installed inside the fortress, marked as tombs, which have automatically assigned themselves to the dead dwarves. But no-one is moving the corpses into the coffins. Claim dead is turned on. What gives?

Dunno but the first thing I would try is removing the stockpile

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon posted:

See if there's a standing rule somewhere about not collecting bodies from outside? Or deconstruct the refuse heap, they may have been flagged "don't worry about any more" when they received their sky burial.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I was having the same issue last night, but refused to deal with it and just slabbed the few dwarves that fell to the traveling minotaur. That's show biz, baby!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lemon posted:

Also check the (t)asks list if there are actually jobs for moving them but they're just low priority.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Ahh, it was because I had a meeting area overlapping the tomb area! Ghosts have been laid to rest now.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've got a dead baby skeleton in my underground river that the dwarves can't get to without drowning so I guess we just gotta live with the ghost now

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DaysBefore posted:

I've got a dead baby skeleton in my underground river that the dwarves can't get to without drowning so I guess we just gotta live with the ghost now

Make a slab at the stone workshop, then engrave the slab to the baby at the same shop, then install the slab somewhere. I suggest the bottom of a channel you subsequently flood, as a lesson for all time.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

DaysBefore posted:

You should be able to pacify it with a memorial slab.

Here lies baby. Poor swimmer.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The last time I actually played DF was during the era when bottomless voids still existed. How do I best deal with religion? I just making a temple zone fine thats not dedicated to anyone?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

The last time I actually played DF was during the era when bottomless voids still existed. How do I best deal with religion? I just making a temple zone fine thats not dedicated to anyone?
That'll do fine for early on. I haven't gotten to that phase in my own forting but you will eventually have large congregations of a particular faith start wanting a particular temple, which you will want to ornament (smooth/engrave, add statues, etc.) and appoint a priest to. The good news is that that priest will then hear everyone's bitchin' and whinin' and it will help them feel better about themselves.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also, is there any way to mass deconstruct walls/constructions in general?

Edit: goddamn its in the mining menu. Why are there 2 buttons dedicated for gathering and logging but 90% of the other stuff is buried in submenus?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 7, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Probably not a huge surprise here but good news for sure

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600492945345597441

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Has anyone definitively concluded what labors fall under the new Stonecutter and Stone Carver skills yet?

I love what's been done so far with labor management but boy howdy does it have a long way to go.
edit: a minute after posting this I found some reddit posts that shed a bit of light on it:

quote:

Long time player, I understand exactly what the mason does in classic but this now changed for the steam release. I've done some science/testing and here's what I've learned -

Stone Carving = Classic Masonry (ie creating stone furniture, etc)

Stonecutting = Smoothing stone

Stone Engraving = Engraving stone

Stonecrafting = Creating stone crafts from the crafts workshop

Masonry - ???

I can't figure it out for the life of me. Effectively this profession seems completely useless now. If anyone is able to figure this out, please let me know since I would love to see what I just spent all of my embark points on...

quote:

Mason is, in a sense, the replacement for "building designer"--carpentry also does this if it's made out of wood, or blacksmithing if metal, I guess. A good mason's buildings will generate good thoughts

what a mess

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 7, 2022

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
:toot:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I dig a giant hole and designate it a dumping zone will they fill things to the top of the hole or is it just the spaces at the bottom that count for dumping?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

Probably not a huge surprise here but good news for sure

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600492945345597441

At 29.99 that would mean over 4.7m. Steam takes a cut as well as Kitfox of course, but I can't help but remember that one or more dev studios offered a "six figure amount" to just buy DF. I think it's clear Tarn made the right choice to go with Kitfox.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

explosivo posted:

If I dig a giant hole and designate it a dumping zone will they fill things to the top of the hole or is it just the spaces at the bottom that count for dumping?
Dumped poo poo will go in the hole and lay on the ground. Using a refuse stockpile will make it decay faster. If you want instant removal from consensus reality dump it into magma.

Do that from a couple Z levels up though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a way to see what tomb is designated to a dead dwarf? I have two dead dwarves and set up two tombs, one of the dwarfs was properly stuffed in one of the tombs, but the other tomb is staying unused, and when I try to specifically assign the dead dwarf to the tomb it already shows them as having been assigned one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

thunderspanks posted:

Has anyone definitively concluded what labors fall under the new Stonecutter and Stone Carver skills yet?

I love what's been done so far with labor management but boy howdy does it have a long way to go.
edit: a minute after posting this I found some reddit posts that shed a bit of light on it:

what a mess

OOOOH good catch thanks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

wilderthanmild posted:

At 29.99 that would mean over 4.7m. Steam takes a cut as well as Kitfox of course, but I can't help but remember that one or more dev studios offered a "six figure amount" to just buy DF. I think it's clear Tarn made the right choice to go with Kitfox.

I'm really happy for them. After reading that the driving force for this release was the health concerns of the developers I was worried that it would be a :corsair: release of moderate sales from old fans but even as it stands now they should be okay.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Nessus posted:

Dumped poo poo will go in the hole and lay on the ground. Using a refuse stockpile will make it decay faster. If you want instant removal from consensus reality dump it into magma.

I miss the bottomless voids.

Does using a drawbridge as an atom smasher for trash still work?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh, ohhhh, I was annoyed all of yesterday that mouse wheel moved Z levels and zooming in/out was annoying little clicky buttons. Turns out you can Ctrl+scroll to zoom!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Is there a way to see what tomb is designated to a dead dwarf? I have two dead dwarves and set up two tombs, one of the dwarfs was properly stuffed in one of the tombs, but the other tomb is staying unused, and when I try to specifically assign the dead dwarf to the tomb it already shows them as having been assigned one.

Have you checked if you find the dwarf in the (u)nits list and see if the tomb is listed in their possessions?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nessus posted:

Thanks for the tip! You can't stack garbage/refuse on top of each other across multiple z-levels though, right? Like if I dig a 5 deep hole will it stack something on each level or will the space be filled when one thing is taking up the spot at the bottom of the hole?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

explosivo posted:

Thanks for the tip! You can't stack garbage/refuse on top of each other across multiple z-levels though, right? Like if I dig a 5 deep hole will it stack something on each level or will the space be filled when one thing is taking up the spot at the bottom of the hole?
I believe it will all accumulate at the bottom layer. Only fluids get tracked by depth. This is how the quantum stockpiles work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nessus posted:

I believe it will all accumulate at the bottom layer. Only fluids get tracked by depth. This is how the quantum stockpiles work.

got it. Guess I have to find me some lava, then. :v: