Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Can't wait to start using this new frame

lmao

e: bros I got my new epic PLACEHOLDER frame, based on ska + that static image you used to get on old TVs

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm not to sure why we're hung up on not being able to craft grays instead of having to rely on the store when crafting isn't in fully yet.

They'll likely just release it with the rest of crafting. This is a fatshark release, after all. Can't expect it all to work :v:

toasterwarrior posted:

Got Zealot, Veteran, and Ogryn to Level 30 in about 104 hours. 0/5, will never buy another Fatshark game again, time to keep up with my weeklies and join in with friends whenever they're playing.

The amount of time i've seen people legitimately claim this is insane. There's a dude complaining that the game has nothing to do after 120 hours and he's leveled all characters to 30.

Like, congratulations bro. You've completed the game. Maybe come back when they add more content? Why do you think the game should hold you for longer than 120 hours? That's insane value for money. That's more that I spend on 99% of games i'll ever buy.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I am nowhere near 30 yet (how are you all getting there so quick?)

My job is a bureaucratic black hole that sometimes forgets I'm employed for months at a time.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Diephoon posted:

I'm working on Vet as my last character having gotten all the others to 30 and WOW does it feel OP after playing every other class.

You have a variety of guns but all of the ones i've used delete specials if you just press F, which has a super low cooldown. Once I got my powersword I don't even bother shooting poxwalkers/hordes unless I just feel like shooting for its own sake. I do make sure to prioritize taking out enemy shooters as soon as I see them. I also spam grenades because I get a free one every minute so, why not?

On top of all of this I also get 200 toughness for some reason and I regenerate toughness when no one is near me which makes taking trades in firefights easier. This class really has the tools to take on any situation unless you shoot so much you run out of ammo.

I think spending so much time playing the other classes first has upped my melee game considerably which makes the powersword feel even more overpowered. On my Zealot I had to learn to effectively use the eviscerator's push attack -> light follow up -> rev -> heavy cleave combo but on Vet I just activate the sword, do a couple light swipes, then back dodge and do it again if there's more targets in front of me.

stuff like this annoys me cause i keep getting veteran teammates who are completetly useless. like WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! useless, when they're such a super good class. I'm not even bothered by player 'skill' but they just aren't shooting ranged enemies or helping us fight the horde, and instead like crouched behind a box outside of coherence range. they tend to be level 20+ too so they must of been doing this for like 20 hours.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zzulu posted:

I agree with all of this. I still like the game and I very much enjoy shooting up hordes with my Ogryn BUT I was expecting a bit more story to immerse in as well as more maps and also guns/tools to use during gameplay. I am nowhere near 30 yet (how are you all getting there so quick?) but I imagine I will be pretty bored of the game loop by then due to the above mentioned reasons.

A decent chunk of folks hit level 30 during the pre-order beta. My first 30, Ogryn, took me about 25-30 hours. This was before Malice+ difficulties got their rewards massively buffed. If you're in a premade you could absolutely hit 30 way faster just playing Malice with secondaries and the occasional special condition much faster than pre-order beta.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

dogstile posted:

I'm not to sure why we're hung up on not being able to craft grays instead of having to rely on the store when crafting isn't in fully yet.

I'm not going to hold back criticism in the hopes that future patches solve the problem, though. The game is out

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dropped my beloved bolter for a lasgun that does 50% of its single shot damage with 80% less recoil and 3x the ammo pool. Suffering from success.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Fishstick posted:

The more I play the more it feels like Psyker and Zealot are just... superfluous. Brain pops not scaling means you can either spend a lot of time trying to pop one Crusher, or wait for the vet to blow it the gently caress away in a quarter of the time. Yeah you could use staffs and leave BB alone, but then you're just a Vet with less ranged talents and worse weapon selection.

Zealot's the same - he's got some good melee options, and one busted toughness build, but Vet's powersword completely trivializes pox hordes and makes mincemeat of practically everything else in melee just as well. Ranged damage wise zealot can't compete.

Ogryn's at least different enough that he plays different enough, but I feel like theres a lot of overlap between vet and the other 2 classes and that vet kind of outshines both of the other classes in their respective roles currently.

For Psyker, you kind of eventually have to let go of your preconceptions of brain-bursting, which will free you up to be an absolute monster. Indypride posted a good build and I used it to carry people through difficulty 3 and 4 last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ay9ZPxgs40

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 7, 2022

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

They'll likely just release it with the rest of crafting. This is a fatshark release, after all. Can't expect it all to work :v:

The amount of time i've seen people legitimately claim this is insane. There's a dude complaining that the game has nothing to do after 120 hours and he's leveled all characters to 30.

Like, congratulations bro. You've completed the game. Maybe come back when they add more content? Why do you think the game should hold you for longer than 120 hours? That's insane value for money. That's more that I spend on 99% of games i'll ever buy.

The thing is it doesnt feel completed once you hit 30 and run a few heresy / damnation missions. VT1 and VT2 had an actual credits sequence when you beat the final mission with a hint that the entire story wasnt told and that more would follow. This one just stops abruptly once you hit 30, with no thread holding any of the cutscenes together or any reason for why you are doing anything at all. I mean for fucks sake, 75% of the crafting is still "coming soon", if that doesnt raise a red flag i dont know what will.

Its the third game theyve made, we should expect more or at least similar quality as their last title. DT just feels like they havent iterated on anything established in Vermintide 2 at all and are instead groping in the dark like its their first ever game.

BombiTheZombie fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 7, 2022

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People are talking up the power sword on the Vet, and while it is good, I wouldn't say it's busted. Am I just using it wrong? How often should I be powering it up? Always seems like a trade-off where you might get hit while you're charging it - on the other hand, it's easy to get that toughness back with a charged sword.

e: do agree with Diephoon that ammo is not an issue at all with Veteran, at least for my Kantrael XII. I consider it a dump stat when I'm looking at the shop.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 7, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

People are talking up the power sword on the Vet, and while it is good, I wouldn't say it's busted. Am I just using it wrong? How often should I be powering it up? Always seems like a trade-off where you might get hit while you're charging it - on the other hand, it's easy to get that toughness back with a charged sword.

The change lasts for four chained heavy attacks so my normal combat cycle is to push forward with the strong, high cleave attacks four times, dodge back, power up, repeat with the enemies that pressed into the space the dodge created.

It's not like the chainsword where you are revving it for one special attack each time, it lasts a few seconds.

E. The sword can also be powered up while it's still charged so if you have some breathing room you can give yourself a bump to reset the timer.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 7, 2022

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Power sword charge animation can be cancelled really early. Charging while sliding cancels invisibly and instantly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BombiTheZombie posted:

The thing is it doesnt feel completed once you hit 30 and run a few heresy / damnation missions. VT1 and VT2 had an actual credits sequence when you beat the final mission with a hint that the entire story wasnt told and that more would follow. This one just stops abruptly once you hit 30, with no thread holding any of the cutscenes together or any reason for why you are doing anything at all. I mean for fucks sake, 75% of the crafting is still "coming soon", if that doesnt raise a red flag i dont know what will.

Its the third game theyve made, we should expect more or at least similar quality as their last title. DT just feels like they havent iterated on anything established in Vermintide 2 at all and are instead groping in the dark like its their first ever game.

They gave an explanation for the crafting. They apparently pulled the system and restarted, hence the delay. I'm cool with that :shrug: It's not like crafting is gonna make or break the game, i've gotten 50 hours out of it so far without having to get into the end game of just crafting grays until one is 380 and then upgrading it. The end game taking a bit longer than actual release seems like it's only going to affect the turbonerds who absolutely will come back to see it after a few patches, the vast majority of people are not going to have put in two full days of playtime into this game in under a week.

I'd say it's actually in a better state than VT2 at release, because while VT2 had more of a "story" half the game straight up didn't work.

Phlegmish posted:

e: do agree with Diephoon that ammo is not an issue at all with Veteran, at least for my Kantrael XII. I consider it a dump stat when I'm looking at the shop.

On Heresy+ I pretty much exclusively dodge back while charging the sword, do two heavy swings (sometimes three, i still haven't worked out why it sometimes gives me extra charge time) and then charge + dodge again.

It kills everything. Even ragers die in like two swings. It's ludicrously OP. I actually just kinda hope they buff everything else rather than nerf it tho.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Cease to Hope posted:

They just released Hotfix 1.0.14. Patch notes

quote:

Veteran’s “Deadshot” should no longer consume stamina when using the scanner.
Oh good this has been bothering the hell out of me

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Oh good this has been bothering the hell out of me

Yeah but I bet that you have been holding the scanner *really* steady

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

CuddleCryptid posted:

The change lasts for four chained heavy attacks so my normal combat cycle is to push forward with the strong, high cleave attacks four times, dodge back, power up, repeat with the enemies that pressed into the space the dodge created.

It's not like the chainsword where you are revving it for one special attack each time, it lasts a few seconds.

E. The sword can also be powered up while it's still charged so if you have some breathing room you can give yourself a bump to reset the timer.

I'm pretty sure the chain weapons auto rev on a fully charged heavy attack, figuring that out really changed my playstyle with them

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I got my Vet to 30. I picked the Ogryn-merking Feat and now I can just vaporize specials with my plasma cannon which now reloads in half the time. It feels really good.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

anyone tried to merge striketeams? i always get a error message that the other person is running a different version of the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

I'm pretty sure the chain weapons auto rev on a fully charged heavy attack, figuring that out really changed my playstyle with them

I've seen that on the 2-hander dig in and cut without revving but I don't think that the one hander fully saws through people like the 2-hander does. But I could be wrong.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Dropped my beloved bolter for a lasgun that does 50% of its single shot damage with 80% less recoil and 3x the ammo pool. Suffering from success.
after using the MG XII for a while I now find that every other vet BESTGUN! is actually unusably bad in comparison. you are just too well rounded and contribute too much if you combine the volume and speed of things you can kill efficiently with always having a bleed grenade and armor piercing melee for the few cases when the lasgun is overwhelmed

Orv
May 4, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

anyone tried to merge striketeams? i always get a error message that the other person is running a different version of the game.

Yeah that's been a bug this whole time, so far unsolved.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

dogstile posted:

They gave an explanation for the crafting. They apparently pulled the system and restarted, hence the delay. I'm cool with that :shrug: It's not like crafting is gonna make or break the game, i've gotten 50 hours out of it so far without having to get into the end game of just crafting grays until one is 380 and then upgrading it.

I'm glad you're cool with that but I'm not! And I want to craft guns so i can, you know, try those guns, not minmax at endgame as you are suggesting.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

For me, the crafting is something I want because I'm really far into some characters and I haven't run into some weapons (I'm lvl 15 on my Zealot and I've never seen a flamer in the store while checking). I liked how in VT2 that if I couldn't get a glaive from chests, I could make one and upgrade it using the junk from the boxes I opened.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hope that crash fix for when textures load in helps my problem of crashing half the time when I load into the mourningstar

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I continue to have fun. nearly at full 450+ gear for my psyker and folks on the discord have been real nice/helpful with groups, especially with getting tricky penances. once I really hammer out all there is to do with psyker I'll probably start working on veteran a bit

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

pewpew

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

dogstile posted:

On Heresy+ I pretty much exclusively dodge back while charging the sword, do two heavy swings (sometimes three, i still haven't worked out why it sometimes gives me extra charge time) and then charge + dodge again.

It kills everything. Even ragers die in like two swings. It's ludicrously OP. I actually just kinda hope they buff everything else rather than nerf it tho.

So I should charge my power sword, chain heavy charged attacks, dodge back, and repeat? Got it. I think my problem is that I'm still in Vermintide mode where you don't want to take damage from anything (ignoring the existence of temp health for a second). In Darktide it matters less since you can immediately regain that lost toughness, especially when fighting a horde, so you can afford to be exposed for a second.

Only thing that still confuses me is that CuddleCryptid mentions four chained attacks, while dogstile is apparently only doing 2-3 before his charge runs out. I guess I could try it out for myself once I get home.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have gotten four chained attacks out of the power sword before. I might have even had five? I think it's a latency thing and the intended is two.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing set of rolls for that gun

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

tehinternet posted:

Let’s review what you posted, because on a re-read it seems less that “some people can’t read” and more that you didn’t really think about what you wrote actually means.

1. Gambling with materials that you would have to spend an order of magnitude more time to get without being able to see what you’d get = good vs the random store

Being able to see what you get and being able to not leave it to chance AND being able to use basic currency is pretty sweet by comparison, even with the poo poo timer. You didn’t say that you love loot boxes, but what’s the difference between having to waste your time so you can gamble? Gambling and loot boxes are functionally the same thing.

2. Paraphrasing, but I’d said that if you need a grinding mechanic to play the game that your priorities are out of order. Because the game part of the game rules and having to rely on RNG on a single blind chance kinda sucks.

3. Logging in to check the store — that you see 15ish random items that you’re not forced to buy —is in no way shittier than having a dice roll where you get to see one item that you’re stuck with. You could always just check the store when you play the game instead?

The store takes the dice roll and makes it free — you get fifteen chances to get random items in the shop without having to grind materials!

To be clear, the timer on the store sucks, but it’s better than having to roll the dice and being stuck with an item (which you can still do at Sire Melk’s).

That's a lot of words to miss the point that the 1h timed loot store is also gambling, just instead of in game currency you pay in real life time of checking it hourly.

I play 3-4h a day which at best gets me 3-5 chances at an in store item. Given that it took me 3 store refreshes to get a slab from a store - and I don't mean a 'good' slab - I mean buy the first one I see because I didn't have one - that's a rather major issue.

All I want is the ability to get an item of a specific type on demand. If it's via currency or mats or whatever isn't relevant really. Point is that if I want a specific item type, and I can totally afford it - I should be able to you know just buy it. Not waste my real life time on waiting for an in game store.

Once again - the store IS gambling and you are losing the gamble every time you check it and it doesn't have a single item of the type you are looking for.

If you think that buying a specific item type with hidden stats is a lootbox mechanic - but an hourly refreshed store with random loot isn't a lootbox mechanic - I genuinely don't know what to tell you.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
What is the curio meta looking like for psyker? I've been using a mix of +toughness and +health as I'm settling in at 30 and trying to make the jump from malice to heresy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I wonder if the people who are defending the awful weapon shop didn't go 10+ levels without seeing newly unlocked weapons and don't realize how much it sucks to wait until 30 to find a void staff.

I'm glad other people are having fun but the long lists deconstructing why I'm wrong to be frustrated with the game have gotten me to stop playing faster than Fat Shark.

And why would they fix problems if everyone keeps white knighting them?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Kaysette posted:

What is the curio meta looking like for psyker? I've been using a mix of +toughness and +health as I'm settling in at 30 and trying to make the jump from malice to heresy.

Wounds are definitely important, at higher levels you have just two wounds and getting downed is going to happen so having a buffer is important. Not sure what the ratio is on +health/toughness and wounds though. And then I guess grin resistance for those missions, and something else for others.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've kind of glossed over the greater store chat at large so sorry if this has already been mentioned, but i think that something that exacerbates the problems with it is there's a lot of "best in slot" weapons and a lot of "not even worth using" weapons, with no incentive whatsoever to switch it up once you've filled it with the thing you want. you could break up the monolith a bit by making the weekly missions apply to them (like use this suboptimal weapon to kill x number of enemies) but that really only kicks the can to the other side of the road making players feel like they're obligated to use something that sucks.

it's interesting because even if all the weapons in the game were perfectly, ideally balanced such that every single one was worthwhile to use for different reasons, it wouldn't solve the core problem of "i found the type of weapon i like, i'm going to stick with that forever"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The number of different gun options for psyker that I will never use is kind of baffling next to the 4 force staves that I actually care about, since the guns inevitably flood the store instead. It also makes me get guns as emperor’s gifts instead of staves

Then due to current balance I don’t even care about all 4 of the staves, just a couple of them

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The store is fine if the crafting system was in and you could craft basic weapons when unlocking them. Right now as there's no crafting they really need to just give everyone free guns when you unlock them! they don't have to have good stats.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
game rules but it's still in beta.

they should have called it an early access release so people who haven't experienced a fatshark game launch have their expectations set correctly.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I probably shouldn’t use the Rumbler as more of a lower-damage grenade box that also happens to have excellent crowd control but goddamn is the crunch of nailing a sniper in the nose with one so god drat satisfying.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Phlegmish posted:

So I should charge my power sword, chain heavy charged attacks, dodge back, and repeat? Got it. I think my problem is that I'm still in Vermintide mode where you don't want to take damage from anything (ignoring the existence of temp health for a second). In Darktide it matters less since you can immediately regain that lost toughness, especially when fighting a horde, so you can afford to be exposed for a second.

Only thing that still confuses me is that CuddleCryptid mentions four chained attacks, while dogstile is apparently only doing 2-3 before his charge runs out. I guess I could try it out for myself once I get home.

I throw in a shove before dodging back just in case, but that's the gist of it. The charge increases your cleave to the point where you just carve through hordes, so any toughness damage you take tends to come back immediately. I get anywhere from 2-5 swings out of a charge, I have no idea how the mechanic works so I just charge it after every third swing or whenever I get a second.

also anyone who says the preacher zealot is a superfluous class hasn't experienced the sheer joy of hosing down a horde with a flamethrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

My job is a bureaucratic black hole that sometimes forgets I'm employed for months at a time.

Ah, so you work in the Administratum then :haw: